ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Bowe Bergdahl pleads guilty to desertion....

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Interesting development but not that surprising now that the reality of military prison is at hand. Link to article below. Will add that I am friends with Col. Jeff Nance, the military prosecutor in this case - served in V Corps with him in Heidelberg. Anyway, I remember being pretty engaged with the Serial Podcast (Season 2) that dealt with him and the circumstances surrounding his desertion - they really strung out all theories (kidnapping, desertion, got lost, etc.) but when pressed he really tried to make the case that this was a selfless, ideological act designed to draw attention to poor or failed military leadership. Personally, I had/have a very hard time believing that (though there are absolutely dipsh*t commanders in the field, you don't try to make your case to leadership by pulling this crap).

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ergdahl-pleads-guilty-to-desertion-misconduct

Link to Serial Season 2 Podcast: https://serialpodcast.org/season-two

Last edited by a moderator:
be interesting to see if he agreed to a plea deal, or is relying on the court's mercy.

this was such a polarizing event, hard to sift through the spin, but I've always had faith in the Army's investigation.

my personal opinion was . . . he cracked under the pressure of war. Maybe he did see a pointlessness to our mission in Afghanistan, also seems like he felt isolated and ostracized by other members of his unit. He made a VERY POOR decision, possibly not while in full control of his faculties, and he paid dearly for it.

I agree that he will get the justice he deserves at this point.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
be interesting to see if he agreed to a plea deal, or is relying on the court's mercy.

this was such a polarizing event, hard to sift through the spin, but I've always had faith in the Army's investigation.

my personal opinion was . . . he cracked under the pressure of war. Maybe he did see a pointlessness to our mission in Afghanistan, also seems like he felt isolated and ostracized by other members of his unit. He made a VERY POOR decision, possibly not while in full control of his faculties, and he paid dearly for it.

Seemed like a bit of loner from the podcast (really interesting but sad upbringing) and I've seen guys like this in the Army - they sort of think the military is this perfect, life defining institution/fraternity and their part of it is bigger than anything in their life. When that myth is shattered by the mission ('Hey Sergeant - get some guys together to burn all the sh*t out here, m'kay?') or by crappy leadership ('See this silver bar?! I went to college!! You do what I say!') it sort of makes them go nuts.

Still - more fascinating than his actual desertion was the U.S./international effort to get him back and the consequences (operational costs) his fellow servicemen endured as a result.

Seemed like a bit of loner from the podcast (really interesting but sad upbringing) and I've seen guys like this in the Army - they sort of think the military is this perfect, life defining institution/fraternity and their part of it is bigger than anything in their life. When that myth is shattered by the mission ('Hey Sergeant - get some guys together to burn all the sh*t out here, m'kay?') or by crappy leadership ('See this silver bar?! I went to college!! You do what I say!') it sort of makes them go nuts.

Still - more fascinating than his actual desertion was the U.S./international effort to get him back and the consequences (operational costs) his fellow servicemen endured as a result.

we don't run "man overboard" drills just to rescue the guys we like . . .

Interesting development but not that surprising now that the reality of military prison is at hand. Link to article below. Will add that I am friends with Col. Jeff Nance, the military prosecutor in this case - served in V Corps with him in Heidelberg. Anyway, I remember being pretty engaged with the Serial Podcast (Season 2) that dealt with him and the circumstances surrounding his desertion - they really strung out all theories (kidnapping, desertion, got lost, etc.) but when pressed he really tried to make the case that this was a selfless, ideological act designed to draw attention to poor or failed military leadership. Personally, I had/have a very hard time believing that (though there are absolutely dipsh*t commanders in the field, you don't try to make your case to leadership by pulling this crap).

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ergdahl-pleads-guilty-to-desertion-misconduct

I think this is a fitting result... I think you have to "bring him home", but he should pay for the choice that he made.

No plea deal evidently.

Did you ever hit up the Bier Krug on the Hauptstrasse pretty close to the University Platz?

I was on multiple deployments where this guy made my life hell... these fools never think about what their actions will do to others. Like the idiots that go to Somalia or Yemen or Afghanistan on humanitarian missions. Great, go to a country where they're just DYING to kidnap a westerner... increase the already heavy workload of hundreds of people to try to find you.

I don't understand, wouldn't there be a plea deal only if he agreed to it? To reply on the courts mercy would be to plea no contest or guilty and take whatever the court hands out.

I don't understand, wouldn't there be a plea deal only if he agreed to it? To reply on the courts mercy would be to plea no contest or guilty and take whatever the court hands out.

it is rare to change a plea to guilty without a deal in place with the prosecutor

I was on multiple deployments where this guy made my life hell... these fools never think about what their actions will do to others. Like the idiots that go to Somalia or Yemen or Afghanistan on humanitarian missions. Great, go to a country where they're just DYING to kidnap a westerner... increase the already heavy workload of hundreds of people to try to find you.

Yeah, nothing worse than people willing to risk their lives to help those in need.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Yeah, nothing worse than people willing to risk their lives to help those in need.

I have more of an issue with people like that American Girl and Her Canadian Husband who went hiking in Afghanistan during the war and were "captured" - something does not pass the smell test with him - either that or he is the biggest idiot on planet earth.

Reactions: KnightSlayer

He had a history of cracking under pressure. He got kicked out of coast guard basic for an episode. I would agree with your assessment.

The dude cracked and ran away. His motive to run away had nothing to do with helping people.

And for the record, I feel sorry for the guy and I don't think life in prison is appropriate. I think he has mental issues. And I also think his heart was in the right place when he joined the army. His situation is lamentable. Thankfully he didn't go Full Metal Jacket on his fellow soldiers and commanding offer.

interesting testimony at his sentencing hearing

Bergdahl offered "gold mine" of intelligence

He should have never been allowed to join the Army. His discharge from the Coast Guard, if properly investigated, would have been a huge red flag. I don't know what should happen to him but I know the judge, Col. Nance. He is a genuinely nice, just, and fair man (he wouldn't even swear - ever).

He should have never been allowed to join the Army. His discharge from the Coast Guard, if properly investigated, would have been a huge red flag. I don't know what should happen to him but I know the judge, Col. Nance. He is a genuinely nice, just, and fair man (he wouldn't even swear - ever).

lots of people get into the service who probably shouldn't, but that is beside the point of the testimony. just showing there are layers to what happened here

lots of people get into the service who probably shouldn't, but that is beside the point of the testimony. just showing there are layers to what happened here

Oh for sure - just saying this is the kind of red flag you can find before someone signs a contract and is alone with his thoughts on patrol in Afghanistan.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Oh for sure - just saying this is the kind of red flag you can find before someone signs a contract and is alone with his thoughts on patrol in Afghanistan.

sometimes these things get overlooked when you're trying to find bodies to fill billets

Reactions: 91Joe95
Funny thing is that Heidelberg is not really a beer town--hard to find local beers there. Local wines are another story.

Vetter 33 near the altbrucke was good for local beer, but their ‘33’ was insane.

kind of funny that the same people who feel kneeling during the national anthem is "disrespecting the troops", but crapping on the judgment of a military court run by a respected commander is somehow not disrespectful

Amazing! The Feds got it right! How often does that happen?

Bergdahl is a troubled and disturbed soul. The DD means his life is more or less ruined. He can get a job at the local Walmart but not much more.

Putting him away in a federal prison would have accomplished nothing other than to reinforce the fact that there are two standards of justice in our country: one for the connected and politically favored; and one for the rest of us.

The first group, and I won’t mention names here, has done a lot worse than this fool, Bergdahl, and will never pay the price for it. On the contrary, that group continues to prosper.

Therefore, put Bergdahl on a plane back to Idaho and call it a draw. That’s justice, or the closest we’ll get, in America of the Year of our Lord 2017.

Bergdahl is a troubled and disturbed soul. The DD means his life is more or less ruined. He can get a job at the local Walmart but not much more.

Putting him away in a federal prison would have accomplished nothing other than to reinforce the fact that there are two standards of justice in our country: one for the connected and politically favored; and one for the rest of us.

The first group, and I won’t mention names here, has done a lot worse than this fool, Bergdahl, and will never pay the price for it. On the contrary, that group continues to prosper.

Therefore, put Bergdahl on a plane back to Idaho and call it a draw. That’s justice, or the closest we’ll get, in America of the Year of our Lord 2017.

a good analysis of what factored into Col Nance's sentence:

LINK

interesting to note that Trump's big mouth pushed Nance towards leniency, and in fact may come up on an appeal triggered by those comments

WHAT EFFECTS DID TRUMP'S COMMENTS HAVE?

In campaign speeches, Trump frequently criticized Bergdahl, calling him a "dirty, rotten traitor." Nance rejected defense motions that charges should be dismissed or punishment limited because Trump was exerting unlawful command influence. But Nance indicated he would consider Trump's comments a factor promoting leniency.

"Trump helped take that confinement off the table," VanLandingham said.

Now, Trump's condemnation of the lack of prison time on Twitter on Friday could give the defense lawyers a strong hand to get the sentence reduced further by an appeals court, the legal experts say. A dishonorable discharge triggers an automatic appeal to a higher military court.

Just so I understand what you're getting at, because he's a "troubled and disturbed soul", even though he broke the law, put him on a plane home and call it a day? Is that right?

So by that logic, someone that drives drunk and crashes into another car and injures the other driver should get no jail time with their felony, because at some level they are troubled and disturbed? I mean they're still gonna have a felony on their record so their life is over, but let them off with no jail right?

Just so I understand what you're getting at, because he's a "troubled and disturbed soul", even though he broke the law, put him on a plane home and call it a day? Is that right?

So by that logic, someone that drives drunk and crashes into another car and injures the other driver should get no jail time with their felony, because at some level they are troubled and disturbed? I mean they're still gonna have a felony on their record so their life is over, but let them off with no jail right?

He’s a guy who should have never been driving a car to begin with and the Army gave him one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT