ADVERTISEMENT

fc NCAA says no to satellite camps...

An already obvious "loophole" would be for Universities to contract with an independent company to hold satellite camps at locations (e.g. Florida) other than their home campus. Such a camp would seem to be okay provided no coaches associated with that University or any other University were present.

I'm going to open a "Camp Contracting" business...I'll hire name coaches not presently affiliated with any University and go down to Florida or Texas and conduct "Camp Wolverine" or "Camp Buckeye" etc. The entire camp would be taped and shared with the contracting University (which would also pay for the camp via the contract).

Another cottage industry is born....who says Donald Trump is the only one who can create jobs.

An already obvious "loophole" would be for Universities to contract with an independent company to hold satellite camps at locations (e.g. Florida) other than their home campus. Such a camp would seem to be okay provided no coaches associated with that University or any other University were present.

I'm going to open a "Camp Contracting" business...I'll hire name coaches not presently affiliated with any University and go down to Florida or Texas and conduct "Camp Wolverine" or "Camp Buckeye" etc. The entire camp would be taped and shared with the contracting University (which would also pay for the camp via the contract).

Another cottage industry is born....who says Donald Trump is the only one who can create jobs.
you mean like this, http://www.contactfootball.com/welcome.html which has only been in business for 42 years!!

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy
That's unfortunate. Even moving beyond the high-profile issue of P5 schools like us and Michigan venturing into SEC territory to scout high-caliber recruits, this blanket ban really hurts the smaller D1 schools and less-recruited prospects who can't afford to travel to camps at each individual school to be seen. For example, a kid from the Lehigh Valley or Lancaster area who might be good enough to get D1-AA, D2 and D3 looks might have gone to a "regional" camp located at his high school, but was hosted and paid for by Temple and had coaches in attendance from all levels of schools. His family can't afford to take him to each of those individual schools' camps - which will now be hosted at the school's location - but just going to that one camp gets him in front of the eyes of a dozen schools. This new rule hurts that kid much more than Michigan having a camp in Florida hurts southern schools - but whoever said that the NCAA actually cared about athletes?

Reactions: Westcoast24
That's unfortunate. Even moving beyond the high-profile issue of P5 schools like us and Michigan venturing into SEC territory to scout high-caliber recruits, this blanket ban really hurts the smaller D1 schools and less-recruited prospects who can't afford to travel to camps at each individual school to be seen. For example, a kid from the Lehigh Valley or Lancaster area who might be good enough to get D1-AA, D2 and D3 looks might have gone to a "regional" camp located at his high school, but was hosted and paid for by Temple and had coaches in attendance from all levels of schools. His family can't afford to take him to each of those individual schools' camps - which will now be hosted at the school's location - but just going to that one camp gets him in front of the eyes of a dozen schools. This new rule hurts that kid much more than Michigan having a camp in Florida hurts southern schools - but whoever said that the NCAA actually cared about athletes?

Oh give me a break, the freaking moron douche-bag @ scUM shot himself in the foot yet again out of blind and unmitigated self-interest.....his over-the-top ridiculousness which is in the worst interest of the kids, forced the NCAA's hand. If you want to point fingers at the @sshat who is ultimately harming "the kids", it's the selfish, self-absorbed prick in Ann Arbor, not the NCAA.

Oh give me a break, the freaking moron douche-bag @ scUM shot himself in the foot yet again out of blind and unmitigated self-interest.....his over-the-top ridiculousness which is in the worst interest of the kids, forced the NCAA's hand. If you want to point fingers at the @sshat who is ultimately harming "the kids", it's the selfish, self-absorbed prick in Ann Arbor, not the NCAA.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Classic.

But the NCAA DID just say "yes" to unlimited texting of recruits.

Nice message coming out of Indianapolis. Evaluating recruits = bad. Harassing them, however = good!!!

Reactions: Go M&B
So I'm supposed to blame Michigan for "forcing" (in a method not entirely clear) the NCAA into unnecessarily adopting an excessively-harmful blanket ban, rather than the NCAA for being the ones to actually pass the thing to the detriment of prospective athletes?

Reactions: Westcoast24
But the NCAA DID just say "yes" to unlimited texting of recruits.

Nice message coming out of Indianapolis. Evaluating recruits = bad. Harassing them, however = good!!!

That precisely encompasses the true purpose of the satellite camp ban - benefit the largest and most powerful football programs with the most resources, and everyone else can go screw themselves. And I say this as a fan of a program who both benefited from satellite camps and the ability to communicate without limits with recruits.

you mean like this, http://www.contactfootball.com/welcome.html which has only been in business for 42 years!!
That one looks like it's for Pee-Wee's (I hope they lift the seat, but I digress). Mine will be exclusively for FCS-caliber high-school players and it will be well-known that they are paid for by the Universities. As a "Contractor" to the XYZ University, I'll be like Louis Freeh, except that I'll be delivering something of value.:)

That one looks like it's for Pee-Wee's (I hope they lift the seat, but I digress). Mine will be exclusively for FCS-caliber high-school players and it will be well-known that they are paid for by the Universities. As a "Contractor" to the XYZ University, I'll be like Louis Freeh, except that I'll be delivering something of value.:)
not really, it's for anyone, go check Mark Robinson bio, IIRC he attended this camp as a raising Sr. . Jon Bove and Tom Bradley were instructors that week, go figure. How and why would the Universities pay for this?? Pretty sure its against the rules, pretty sure the cost would be extreme.

not really, it's for anyone, go check Mark Robinson bio, IIRC he attended this camp as a raising Sr. . Jon Bove and Tom Bradley were instructors that week, go figure. How and why would the Universities pay for this?? Pretty sure its against the rules, pretty sure the cost would be extreme.
It's probably against the NCAA Rules for a University to contract with a "Consultant" to go conduct an off-site satellite camp, but what if Nike paid for it on behalf of a University and simply called it the Blue & White Satellite Camp or the Maize & Blue Satellite camp?

Is the NCAA going to mess with Nike?

It's probably against the NCAA Rules for a University to contract with a "Consultant" to go conduct an off-site satellite camp, but what if Nike paid for it on behalf of a University and simply called it the Blue & White Satellite Camp or the Maize & Blue Satellite camp?

Is the NCAA going to mess with Nike?
now that's a whole other can of worms!!! It seems though this already exists, it's call IMG academy!!!

now that's a whole other can of worms!!! It seems though this already exists, it's call IMG academy!!!

IMG is a school which coaches can visit subject to recruiting rules.

Camps such as the one Pool Pud describes have existed for years. Coaches aren't allowed to attend them.

So the NCAA takes years to address blatant academic scandals (even refusing to address UNC until embarrassed into it by the Raleigh News Observer) but they act at light speed to stop a satellite camp.

NCAA "logic" and priorities. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not that I care at all. But how does the NCAA have a say is this at all ??

I take it you don't care for Harbaugh and are glad you don't have him as your head coach. lol, rant on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT