ADVERTISEMENT

FC: meyer "irate" over targeting call. b1g agrees with him.

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link below. From the article:

"Ohio State coach Urban Meyer says he was "irate" with a targeting call that went against the Buckeyes this past weekend, and Big Ten officials agree that he has a point.

Referees in Saturday's Ohio State-Maryland game flagged cornerback Denzel Ward for targeting after he upended Terrapins receiver Taivon Jacobs in the first quarter of a blowout victory. The hit caused a fumble, and Ward scooped up the loose ball before referees ruled the play an incomplete pass.

A replay official confirmed the targeting penalty on the play and ejected Ward even though it appeared he never made contact with Jacobs' head. Meyer said his staff submitted a complaint to the league office after the game and received some vindication. The Big Ten said that the referee wasn't wrong in throwing the flag as the play unfolded, but replay officials should have overturned the call and kept Ward in the game."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...s-urban-meyer-irate-call-big-ten-thinks-point

Even for an obvious bad call, I can't imagine the b1g ever siding with Penn State.

I'm trying to recall if we ever got an "oops" from the B1G for the nonsensical call on our LB Johnson last year at Michigan. That one last year was even worse than this one on Ohio State on Saturday, and that one was a very bad call.

They really need to find ways to modify this rule on expulsion from the game. There's gotta be some discretion from the independent reviewer (not the Ref on the field). Safety first and all, but so many of these are inadvertent (and yes, too many are intentional) and truly 'not as egregious' that kicking the player out of the game doesn't fit the spirit of the penalty, imo.

The B1G will make up for this heinous crime, which undoubtedly came close to changing the outcome of a 62-14 game, by ensuring that all subsequent targeting calls made go against tOSU opponents. Also, as compensation for Urban's pain and suffering the tOSU OL will be allowed to hold at will for the remainder of the season.

Reactions: JJTopp99
I didn't see the play in question but apparently the conference agrees with Urban. The real issue, however, is not Urban's reaction but how could a ref watching it on replay get it so wrong?

And what will happen to this replay ref as punishment?

Last edited:
I didn't see the play in question but apparently the conference agrees with Harbaugh. The real issue, however, is not Harbaugh's reaction but how could a ref watching it on replay get it so wrong?

Harbaugh??????? I thought the discussion was about Ahia State!

I didn't see the play in question but apparently the conference agrees with Harbaugh. The real issue, however, is not Harbaugh's reaction but how could a ref watching it on replay get it so wrong?

I can understand officials on the field missing calls on bang bang plays that may be happening 10-20 yds away from them.....it is a fast game.

BUT

What is ABSOLUTELY FUDGING PATHETIC is that replay officials.....often with 3-4 different camera views and the ability to watch these views in slo mo and stop action.....can barely get 75% of the plays called correctly. (And I'm being generous saying 75%.) They s/b at 95%+!

Reactions: N&B4PSU and psu00
I'm trying to recall if we ever got an "oops" from the B1G for the nonsensical call on our LB Johnson last year at Michigan. That one last year was even worse than this one on Ohio State on Saturday, and that one was a very bad call.

They really need to find ways to modify this rule on expulsion from the game. There's gotta be some discretion from the independent reviewer (not the Ref on the field). Safety first and all, but so many of these are inadvertent (and yes, too many are intentional) and truly 'not as egregious' that kicking the player out of the game doesn't fit the spirit of the penalty, imo.

Yes they issued a statement saying the call was incorrect, horrible call on Smith from the field and even worse from the replay. A bad call on Ohio State from the field and a bad review.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Bob78
The truth of the matter is that Meyer only wanted to make sure he had his first string DB on the field for the first half against Nebraska.

Well gentlemen, I find all of this very interesting. Below is the wording from the NCAA rulebook:

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Here is the link of the hit. Seems quite forcible to the neck if not head area on an opponent that just turned around after catching the ball. It was a vicious hit that in my interpretation is textbook targeting as the rule is written. You decide for yourselves.

Reactions: scbob
Well gentlemen, I find all of this very interesting. Below is the wording from the NCAA rulebook:

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Here is the link of the hit. Seems quite forcible to the neck if not head area on an opponent that just turned around after catching the ball. It was a vicious hit that in my interpretation is textbook targeting as the rule is written. You decide for yourselves.

I agree with you - it's clearly targeting and as vicious a hit to a defenseless player as I've seen this season.

Reactions: itsofficial101

Blow to the head and neck of a defenseless receiver. Targeting. Next...?

Reactions: itsofficial101
Just bring Dick Honig out of retirement to call the PSU-Michigan game ... problem solved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT