ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Amazon chooses two locations for HQ2

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link below. From the article:

“New York (CNN Business) — After running a year-long competition that drew interest from hundreds of cities and a number of states, Amazon has reportedly chosen New York City and Northern Virginia to split duty as its second headquarters.

The Wall Street Journal reported late Monday that Amazon (AMZN) has picked New York's Long Island City and Arlington County's Crystal City neighborhoods, citing people familiar with the matter.”

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/12/tech/amazon-hq2-new-york-virginia/index.html

AMAZON. :eek:

Was just in NYC at a family gathering. Remarkable be of mine said LIC had become a hot area for residential construction.

I am guessing “those in the know” knew sometime ago.

Those in the know have been redeveloping & gentrifying Ling Island City because of the relatively low price of real estate long before Amazon thought they wanted a second headquarters. A major portion was rezoned over 15 years ago which was the prime mover for the redevelopment.

Last edited:
Those in the know have been redeveloping & gentrifying Ling Island City because of the relatively low price of real estate long before Amazon thought they wanted a second headquarters. A major portion was rezoned over 15 years ago which was the prime mover for the redevelopment.

Great.... more new yorkers moving to eastern PA and commuters on 22&78.

My guy at Amazon told me that they plan to build somewhere between the Really Cool Coffee Shop and the Skinny Jean Store.

Judgmental_20Map_20of_20NYC_20-_20Section.0.jpg

I live in northern Virginia. The traffic in the Crystal City area is ridiculous. It's about to get even worse.

A lot of the buildings in Crystal City used to be overflow offices from the Pentagon, until the post-9/11 rules prevented actual DoD offices from occupying buildings with underground garages and too close to the street. Amazon will turn Crystal City into Seattle.

Looks like its more about power than anything else. Those two locations are arguably the most powerful places in the USA....perhaps the earth. Bezos, set to take on the world (except china, where Alibaba reigns).

Garbage that they made these cities roll out the red carpet for what they believed to be a shot at HQ2, only to find out they're getting half of what Amazon initially proposed. Are the tax incentives now cut in half? Maybe this was Bezos' plan all along.

I live in northern Virginia. The traffic in the Crystal City area is ridiculous. It's about to get even worse.

A lot of the buildings in Crystal City used to be overflow offices from the Pentagon, until the post-9/11 rules prevented actual DoD offices from occupying buildings with underground garages and too close to the street. Amazon will turn Crystal City into Seattle.

THIS. NoVA doesn't need anymore jobs, or people, or traffic, especially this close to DC.

Garbage that they made these cities roll out the red carpet for what they believed to be a shot at HQ2, only to find out they're getting half of what Amazon initially proposed. Are the tax incentives now cut in half? Maybe this was Bezos' plan all along.
at least he pays his contractors

Reactions: BrucePa
Ever since Amazon announced it was going to build HQ2, it was a shoe-in that Amazon would choose Northern Virginia, for two reasons...1) Jeff Bezos' second home is in the Kalaroma neighborhood of Washington DC and he has spent quite a bit of time recently lobbying for deregulation and against political measures that could impact Amazon. 2) Amazon has had a local real estate company build out several data centers in the northern virginia corridor to support Amazon's business. I also laugh when I hear Amazon call their Northern Virginia and New York offices a second or third headquarters, because these two offices are simply satellite offices like every other large corporation. Unless Amazon moves members of its Executive Team or Senior Management Team to these two offices, these two offices will simply be support offices.

Will boost the attractiveness of housing in S. Arlington too, which lags behind N. Arlington.

Reactions: PSU Mike
THIS. NoVA doesn't need anymore jobs, or people, or traffic, especially this close to DC.
Arlington County....one of the richest counties in the US. VA has 5 counties in the top 10 wealthiest. They all spoke out from DC.

Wait, they didn't pick Pittsburgh? Didn't that read that one random article that said its the best place on Earth for everything????

It’s embarassing the lengths some places were willing to go to land Amazon. In the end,
they went predictable and boring. Really should have went to a place that could use the economic boost - not already employment full, wealthy areas like NY and NoVA.

Arlington County....one of the richest counties in the US. VA has 5 counties in the top 10 wealthiest. They all spoke out from DC.
One big reason there's a disconnect between the DC area and the rest of the country. Add government jobs to that, and the area is almost recession-proof. Folks there experience life a lot differently than much of the rest of the country.

Reactions: Spydersgirl
It’s embarassing the lengths some places were willing to go to land Amazon. In the end,
they went predictable and boring. Really should have went to a place that could use the economic boost - not already employment full, wealthy areas like NY and NoVA.
I've heard the reason they went predictable was due to the population base in each case being large and well educated and techie with lots of colleges to train folks they'll want. Less risk.

Too bad they didn't pick Austin. I was looking forward the the value of my house taking a huge leap upwards. Oh well. I'd imagine our public transportation and small airport were the biggest downfalls for us. The upsides would have been the tech workforce, access to Univ. of Texas, and the fact that Amazon owned Whole Foods HQ is here.

My guy at Amazon told me that they plan to build somewhere between the Really Cool Coffee Shop and the Skinny Jean Store.

Judgmental_20Map_20of_20NYC_20-_20Section.0.jpg

Apparently "your guy" at Amazon doesn't know the difference between Brooklyn and Queens.

I love how affluent liberals avoid the policies they support for the masses. Liberals claim to support high taxes. HUH? Isn't AMZN taking tax breaks? Hollywood love tax breaks too. You won't find any low income housing, illegals or diversity in the neighborhoods where the execs live.

This seems spot on (full article below):

Amazon making the mayor of Kansas City humiliate himself by writing 1,000 Amazon reviews only to award their business to the two richest cities on the East Coast so the richest guy on earth can conveniently commute from his mega-castle really drives home this point better than anything we could ever dream up. Well done, you evil f***s.

https://apple.news/ATGklzQLRRe2nEpU1eCQ5UA

As someone who owns property near by, I approve.

Also laughing at those who thought it would be someplace lik Raleigh or Atlanta

Reactions: ejb25
Well I have son in Alexandria who paid a gazillion dollars for a small/old home. Maybe it will be worth a gazillion and 1 one of these days.

Does anyone see the irony of a company who was founded as being the "anti" brick and mortar business, needing 3 HQ's in very expensive locations to exist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT