ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Air Force/DOD changes stance on deferral of service...

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

For me, the most shocking aspect of this whole thing is that even without a deferral of service, they only have to serve two years of active duty before being placed in the Individual Ready Reserve. WTF? Anyway, not sure how I feel about this - when the Navy had David Robinson, he was such a huge star and recruiting asset it was worth allowing him to defer. But this will no doubt hurt 'recruiting' (as it were) at the service academies.

Air Force refuses waive active duty commitment, WR Jalen Robinette goes undrafted

jalen-robinette-2.jpg

Last-minute decision by Air Force means star wide receiver will have to wait to turn pro

By NICKI JHABVALA | njhabvala@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: April 29, 2017 at 9:35 am | UPDATED: April 29, 2017 at 7:33 pm

In a stunning shift before the start of the NFL draft, the Air Force decided it would not allow athletes from the Academy defer two years of active duty and immediately join a professional sports team upon graduation.

The news is a blow to Jalen Robinette, Air Force’s all-time leading receiver who spent nearly a year preparing mentally and physically for the draft with the expectation he would be selected in the final four rounds Saturday. But in the wake of the policy change, he was not drafted at all.

“The Air Force notified Academy officials (Thursday) that the service would not approve requests to waiver active duty military service commitments for cadet athletes,” the Academy said in a statement. “Cadets will be required to serve two years active duty prior to entering Ready Reserve status, which would permit their participation in professional sports.

“The Air Force places tremendous value on our cadet athletes and their contributions to the nation as we continue to build leaders of character, engage in combat operations overseas and continue to ensure our highest military readiness at home.”

In 2016, the U.S. Department of Defense revised its pro sports policy to allow graduates of service academies to apply for the ready reserve so they could sign with professional sports teams after graduation instead of delaying their start to fulfill their active-duty commitment. But their applications had to be approved on a “case-by-case basis” and there was no guarantee a commitment would be deferred.

Not all were in favor of the changes at the service academies, where tuition is taxpayer-funded.

“They exist to instill young men and women with a mind-set of selfless service to the country,” retired Army lieutenant colonel Tom Slear wrote in The Washington Post last June. “There is no other justification for the significant public expense that supports them. Professional football, on the other hand, is about service to oneself. It has its place, but not for academy graduates who haven’t fulfilled their obligations to their fellow citizens. Each time one of them leaves early, the ethos diminishes a bit, and the taxpayers are cheated.”

Although the Department of Defense’s policy has not been altered — no new order has been signed — Air Force will not approve deferral requests.

The AFA’s stance means Robinette will likely follow the path of service academy athletes before him who were required to immediately fulfill two years of active duty before joining a pro team. After those two years, a graduate could then be considered for reserve status to pursue pro sports.

Former Air Force graduate and current Atlanta Falcons lineman Ben Garland was signed by the Denver Broncos as an undrafted free agent in 2010 and was placed on the reserve/military list while he fulfilled his two-year commitment. He rejoined the team in 2012 and continued his service with the Colorado Air National Guard in the offseasons.

The new DOD policy was expected to open the recruiting opportunities for Air Force and the other service academies. No longer would they be competing with most other programs that don’t require a two-year delay for athletes to go pro.

For Robinette, the change after his junior year altered his hopes and plans for the future.

“The Academy, it’s rigorous and we require a certain type of person,” Robinette said in February. “It’s not for everyone. It takes a leader and a consistent person to be successful at the academy. But having the opportunity to play football after that, it’s icing on the cake.”

Robinette spent the winter taking six courses to complete his degree while also training in Centennial to prepare for the NFL draft. By April, he hoped to be an NFL player. By May, he planned to be an Air Force grad.

Now, he could be prompted to change course yet again. His career as a pro football player may not lift off until 2019 — at the earliest.

“You’re out of your mind if you think I’m gonna let someone else hang up my cleats,” Robinette tweeted Saturday evening. “Momma raised me better than that.”

If the officers running the service academies ever give even one second of thought to what's good for athletic recruiting, they ought to be Court Marshalled.

Reactions: PSU87
Not all were in favor of the changes at the service academies, where tuition is taxpayer-funded.
“They exist to instill young men and women with a mind-set of selfless service to the country,” retired Army lieutenant colonel Tom Slear wrote in The Washington Post last June. “There is no other justification for the significant public expense that supports them. Professional football, on the other hand, is about service to oneself.

Most NFL stadiums in this country are taxpayer funded or at least supported at this point. "More than $1 billion in taxes went into the stadiums, arenas and other facilities built in Pennsylvania during the administrations of Governors Tom Ridge (R) and Ed Rendell (D). But taxpayers will actually pay more because much of the tax financing for both professional sports teams and community facilities came in the form of bond issues of between 20 and 30 years in duration." http://watchdog.org/366/paindy-1-billion-and-counting-for-states-taxpayer-funded-stadiums/

So if tax dollars are going to fund both the academies and NFL stadiums I see no reason why the cadet athletes shouldn't be allowed to participate in both.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Taxes for stadiums are local. Military academies are federally funded.
Cadet knew that he had a service requirement when he enrolled at the Air Force Academy. He probably didn't think he had the skills etc. for the. NFL.
Karma can be a bitch.

For me, the most shocking aspect of this whole thing is that even without a deferral of service, they only have to serve two years of active duty before being placed in the Individual Ready Reserve. WTF? Anyway, not sure how I feel about this - when the Navy had David Robinson, he was such a huge star and recruiting asset it was worth allowing him to defer. But this will no doubt hurt 'recruiting' (as it were) at the service academies.

Air Force refuses waive active duty commitment, WR Jalen Robinette goes undrafted

jalen-robinette-2.jpg

Last-minute decision by Air Force means star wide receiver will have to wait to turn pro

In a stunning shift before the start of the NFL draft, the Air Force decided it would not allow athletes from the Academy defer two years of active duty and immediately join a professional sports team upon graduation.

The news is a blow to Jalen Robinette, Air Force’s all-time leading receiver who spent nearly a year preparing mentally and physically for the draft with the expectation he would be selected in the final four rounds Saturday. But in the wake of the policy change, he was not drafted at all.

“The Air Force notified Academy officials (Thursday) that the service would not approve requests to waiver active duty military service commitments for cadet athletes,” the Academy said in a statement. “Cadets will be required to serve two years active duty prior to entering Ready Reserve status, which would permit their participation in professional sports.

“The Air Force places tremendous value on our cadet athletes and their contributions to the nation as we continue to build leaders of character, engage in combat operations overseas and continue to ensure our highest military readiness at home.”

In 2016, the U.S. Department of Defense revised its pro sports policy to allow graduates of service academies to apply for the ready reserve so they could sign with professional sports teams after graduation instead of delaying their start to fulfill their active-duty commitment. But their applications had to be approved on a “case-by-case basis” and there was no guarantee a commitment would be deferred.

“They exist to instill young men and women with a mind-set of selfless service to the country,” retired Army lieutenant colonel Tom Slear wrote in The Washington Post last June. “There is no other justification for the significant public expense that supports them. Professional football, on the other hand, is about service to oneself. It has its place, but not for academy graduates who haven’t fulfilled their obligations to their fellow citizens. Each time one of them leaves early, the ethos diminishes a bit, and the taxpayers are cheated.”

Although the Department of Defense’s policy has not been altered — no new order has been signed — Air Force will not approve deferral requests.

The AFA’s stance means Robinette will likely follow the path of service academy athletes before him who were required to immediately fulfill two years of active duty before joining a pro team. After those two years, a graduate could then be considered for reserve status to pursue pro sports.

Former Air Force graduate and current Atlanta Falcons lineman Ben Garland was signed by the Denver Broncos as an undrafted free agent in 2010 and was placed on the reserve/military list while he fulfilled his two-year commitment. He rejoined the team in 2012 and continued his service with the Colorado Air National Guard in the offseasons.

The new DOD policy was expected to open the recruiting opportunities for Air Force and the other service academies. No longer would they be competing with most other programs that don’t require a two-year delay for athletes to go pro.

For Robinette, the change after his junior year altered his hopes and plans for the future.

“The Academy, it’s rigorous and we require a certain type of person,” Robinette said in February. “It’s not for everyone. It takes a leader and a consistent person to be successful at the academy. But having the opportunity to play football after that, it’s icing on the cake.”

Robinette spent the winter taking six courses to complete his degree while also training in Centennial to prepare for the NFL draft. By April, he hoped to be an NFL player. By May, he planned to be an Air Force grad.

Now, he could be prompted to change course yet again. His career as a pro football player may not lift off until 2019 — at the earliest.

“You’re out of your mind if you think I’m gonna let someone else hang up my cleats,” Robinette tweeted Saturday evening. “Momma raised me better than that.”

Retired AF member here. The USAF made a commitment to him and he in-turn made a commiment to he USAF. I believe he is duty bound to fulfill that 2 years of active duty service, which for the cost of the oustanding education he received, is not much to ask. Others before him have done it, like Chad Hennings who flew A-10s in the Middle East and then played for Cowboys. The obligation to the country is the priority. This should never be waivered.

Retired AF member here. The USAF made a commitment to him and he in-turn made a commiment to he USAF? I believe he is duty bound to fulfill that 2 years of active duty service, which for the cost of the oustanding education he received, is not much to ask. Others before him have done it, like Chad Hennings who flew A-10s in the Middle East and then played for Cowboys. The obligation to the country is the priority. This should never be waivered.

I don't disagree. But, the practice lately has been to allow 'star' academy players to defer their service (and I thought it was five years - not two?) until after their playing days were over.

If the officers running the service academies ever give even one second of thought to what's good for athletic recruiting, they ought to be Court Marshalled.
Who the bleep cares about athletic recruiting? The service academies are there to develop men and women into leaders. Sports is one way to help do this, but you don't need to run a 4.4 forty or dunk from the foul line in order to be a leader.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Who the bleep cares about athletic recruiting? The service academies are there to develop men and women into leaders. Sports is one way to help do this, but you don't need to run a 4.4 forty or dunk from the foul line in order to be a leader.
my point, exactly

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Air Force aircrew here...we get very pissed when we can't find a Marriott, those points are important to us.

Exceptions to every rule, but the AF folks I was in Sarajevo with were issued DVD players, TVs, and refrigerators when they arrived. Oh - and they were the only U.S. branch to have their own NSE so to speak (complete with computer room, big screen TVs, and snacks galore). I got a 9mm. o_O

The ones unfortunate enough to have to live in Army barracks in Mannheim were paid a stipend too.

Wasn't the past reasoning for exceptions granted for the NFL a marketing/PR type duty station? In today's society of wimps, I wouldn't think having a guy in the NFL would really make anyone say "hey, I want to enlist!" just instead "hey, I should have an NFL salary fall on my like snowflakes"

jalen-robinette-2.jpg

AFA has been notoriously lax about this for years relative to Army and Navy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT