ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Non-Obvious Moments

mcpat

Gold Member
Mar 13, 2021
Care to share some of your favorite PSU moments that aren’t the obvious ones?

Here’s one of mine:

- Scott Stossel getting the start at home vs Micic and going right after him, getting a single leg on Micic and lifting it high. I don’t think he got the TD, but he went right after it with no fear. A guy that was on the club team originally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boards
Oh my I have many, I define this as one where it's never talked about seemingly (example, Kuhn's headlock is talked about plenty, same with Vollrath upsetting Dieringer)

Bo Pipher making the Scuffle finals beating multiple NQ level guys. He got Nolf's leg up also!

Everyone expecting Spencer to come in and pin our 125 in under 45 seconds but instead, Marco Vespa comes out almost pulls off a miracle.

Patrick Higgins being selected as the person to hold the trophy in 2018. I thought it was Nick Lee for a bit. For him to get picked to hold that trophy, I imagine he had a significant off the mat impact for the team.

Mason Manville going up to 184 several times while weighing in under 170. He gave up bonus once (to MyMar), he avoided it against Parker, Venz, Caffey and was in a winnable match against Parker and Caffey.

Another one of mine:

I forget the opponent, but Zain was being Zain - dominating on top with the B&A. The ref stops the action - maybe potentially dangerous - and his opponent gets up and shoves him. Zain, completely calm during the break from action - shrugs it off, takes the penalty point, and proceeds to go back to destroying the dude from the top position.

Patrick Higgins being selected as the person to hold the trophy in 2018. I thought it was Nick Lee for a bit. For him to get picked to hold that trophy, I imagine he had a significant off the mat impact for the team.
Love it. Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know this one and it’s exactly the kind of thing I was after when I created this thread.

Another one of mine:

I forget the opponent, but Zain was being Zain - dominating on top with the B&A. The ref stops the action - maybe potentially dangerous - and his opponent gets up and shoves him. Zain, completely calm during the break from action - shrugs it off, takes the penalty point, and proceeds to go back to destroying the dude from the top position.
Zain went on to emasculate Amine with a half.

I think it was 1988. Rec Hall, PSU vs. OKST. Dernlan vs. John Smith.

Dernlan got in deep on a single. Smith did the splits. This was the first time any of us had ever seen that defense.

Apparently it was also the first time Dernlan saw it. Before the ref called the stalemate, Dernlan -- while still holding Smith's leg -- turned to Lorenzo and Fritz and shrugged as if to say "what the hell am I supposed to do with this?"

Ashley Swift going up from 167 to beat Dr Death for the team win, at Rec Hall vs OU in 1978. Still amazing.

Reactions: mcpat
Hoagie Sciabica riding Mike Frick for 3 straight minutes vs Lehigh in 1977. Rec Hall went insane!

Reactions: mcpat
Love it. Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know this one and it’s exactly the kind of thing I was after when I created this thread.
Always thought that was super telling, the most emotional tournament win. There were 100 ways you could have gone about who holds the trophy:

The guy who pinned and won it for you (Bo)
The guy who did it for you on one leg (Nolf)
The senior champ and Hodge winner (Zain)
The true freshman who didn't throw in the towel after losing Round 1 (Nick Lee, who I thought it was originally)
The respected senior who lost his last year to injury (Cutch)
The guy you want to make sure they'll stick around (Cassar)

I can name many more

No - it was the room guy who never started a dual for Penn State. He wasn't even a senior that year. I thought it was interesting because people talk about Penn State's culture, about how close the guys are and how every wrestler's contributions matter regardless of wrestling result. I can't think of a better example than this. If you want an example on how every single person on the team contributes in their own way, look no further than that.

Cael told this one at the Coaches' Caravan, sitting next to Bill O'Brien:

Knock knock.
Who's there?
The NCAA.
Go fighter yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski and hlstone
Kings ransom to anyone who can find the entire match..I think it's 1-0 vs Kendrick Maple

Maybe not worth a kings ransom, but this is the best I could find. Only has the last few seconds of the match, but video still contains the best stuff about it- his reaction, crowd shots, Cael celebrating, and immediate interview stepping off the mat.

I think it was a Nebraska dual, when Matt Brown bumped up to either 197 or Hwt and pulled off the upset. At the time, he was still sitting behind Ed Ruth at 174.
He beat Nagashima and #15 Huntley at 197 wrestling up two weight classes from 174. Went 27-2 that season, losing to Ed Ruth 6-3 (I think at the Scuffle) and #15 Sheptock 8-5.

27-2 with 21 bonus wins wrestling as a backup that year.

Nagasima was R12 that year at 197. Huntley was a NQ at 197. Sheptock was R12 at 174 and, of course, Ruth was the champ.

Also beat Storley (6th at 174) and Henderson (R16 at 174) that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
He beat Nagashima and #15 Huntley at 197 wrestling up two weight classes from 174. Went 27-2 that season, losing to Ed Ruth 6-3 (I think at the Scuffle) and #15 Sheptock 8-5.

27-2 with 21 bonus wins wrestling as a backup that year.

Nagasima was R12 that year at 197. Huntley was a NQ at 197. Sheptock was R12 at 174 and, of course, Ruth was the champ.

Also beat Storley (6th at 174) and Huntley (R16 at 174) that year.
Mike Evans was not impressed.

I think it was like against VT and Matt Brown lost to a freshman and the duals outcome came down to Jimmy Lawson. The match was electric!! I think Lawson got the TD in OT and the crowd went crazy. I was there with my son and we were freaking out with all the fans near us.

Also when Nolf came out on crutches at the Ohio State dual and the crowd erupted gave me chills.

I think it was 1988. Rec Hall, PSU vs. OKST. Dernlan vs. John Smith.

Dernlan got in deep on a single. Smith did the splits. This was the first time any of us had ever seen that defense.

Apparently it was also the first time Dernlan saw it. Before the ref called the stalemate, Dernlan -- while still holding Smith's leg -- turned to Lorenzo and Fritz and shrugged as if to say "what the hell am I supposed to do with this?"
I was at that match, too! I was in high school, and my coach’s son (Peter Horst) was a freshman on that team, although he eventually transferred somewhere else where he could start.

Kirby Wood, a backup 167 pounder, scrapping at heavyweight against Cleveland State’s Matt Ghaffari to preserve the dual win at Rec in my undergrad days.

Who was the guy that, I think, got a takedown on Nolf or Nolf slipped, and then the guy got up and did a little dance or shake & bake, which then resulted in him getting pinned shortly thereafter? Edit: It was definitely not a Northwestern guy.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: hlstone
The Amines are cheap shot artists and sore losers. Remember how Miles was grinding his elbow into Brooks as time expired in their national finals match?
I remember AB pointing his champion fingers up in the air while flat on his stomach. Which was funny as heck.

Who was the guy that, I think, got a takedown on Nolf or Nolf slipped, and then the guy got up and did a little dance or shake & bake, which then resulted in him getting pinned shortly thereafter? It might have been a Northwestern guy.
Yep. Todrank from Buffalo and Nolf pinned him right after he did it. Classic. I was there for that one; I try to go to senior recognition each year.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
megawithfamily-300x286.jpeg

I remember watching Andy Matter dominating someone who just refused to wrestle. At one point, when the opponent was completely turtled up, Andy just leaned on him, and held his arms up Alfred E. Newman style looking at the ref as if to say, "What can I do to get a stall call?" At that point, Only Andy's stomach was in contact with the other guy.

I don't recall if he got the call, but that was funny as hell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT