ADVERTISEMENT

Emmert strikes again

This is terrible! The Lasch event is like a Make A Wish event. Those THON kids look like their dreams have come true when they get to interact with the players. And many of the players seem profoundly impacted by the kids. I recall Saquon posting a pic after one of these events and commenting that he got a chance to spend time with some kids that will have a major impact on him for the rest of his life. NCAA should be ashamed. What a joke they are.

That is just so stupid. What if PSU scheduled the THON event as if was practice time and had the players spend time with the kids instead? Would an hour or two less real practice time really be that big of a deal?

Reactions: step.eng69
What an unbelievably horseshit operation the NCAA is. You couldn't make stuff like this up in a comic book.
Story has been updated.
Update 9:25 p.m.: Members of the team are still able to participate in Athlete Hour with THON children and the annual THON Pep Rally, but will not be present for the THON Explorers program, tour of the Lasch Building, or media availability opportunities.

Reactions: step.eng69
What an unbelievably horseshit operation the NCAA is. You couldn't make stuff like this up in a comic book.

I deal with the federal gov't daily for my job. This reminds me of them. No common sense nor real world practicality. They only go by what's printed in their regulations. I often wonder how they live with themselves, and how they fare in the real world, when the shoe is on the other foot. And I don't even want to get started on Emmret

Story has been updated.
Update 9:25 p.m.: Members of the team are still able to participate in Athlete Hour with THON children and the annual THON Pep Rally, but will not be present for the THON Explorers program, tour of the Lasch Building, or media availability opportunities.

It’s the Explorer’s program that really seems to make an impact on both the kids and FB players.

Couldn't the players just decide to do it? It seems that the issue is that it is deemed a "team" event. Are players forced to do it? Certainly if they decide to volunteer their time, how can the NCAA regulate that? Is it also b/c they are using football facilities? Are players not allowed to talk to the media per NCAA rules?

A comment at the end of the article says it’s a Penn State rule.

If true (that it’s a psu and not NCAA rule) then I would expect PSU and Sandy should be able to suspend the rule for THON (for those that wanted to participate)?

Reactions: Bob78
Good questions. It seems like someone may have all of the sudden contacted the NCAA and said, "Hey, Penn State is using their players to help lift the spirits of sick children. That's not fair!!"
They better stop Iowa from waving to the children in the cancer ward. That adds two minutes to their team time and puts them over the limit.

Even if this is a PSU rule, as someone else said, common sense needs to prevail. I get the need for a recovery day, but if the activity - even a team one - does not involve lifting or practicing or running or film work, how is it different than what they may do on their own on an off day?
This activity is sort of like going to a museum. Dinner at Sandy's.... they were going to have dinner anyway, no? There is no extra physical or mental exertion in what is planned during that time vs. what would happen on an off day.

PSU should say, 'Our rule, therefore our exception to it.'

I deal with the federal gov't daily for my job. This reminds me of them. No common sense nor real world practicality. They only go by what's printed in their regulations. I often wonder how they live with themselves, and how they fare in the real world, when the shoe is on the other foot. And I don't even want to get started on Emmret

I can answer that question but would not make many friends on this board that work for Uncle Sam.

I'm sure barren will issue a stern statement of defiance directed at the ncaa in the morning.

barron-hands-up-gesture-not-about-police-but-about-supporting-students-1210-20141210

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT