ADVERTISEMENT

Eleven Warriors reporting Harbaugh to be named LV Raiders HC

OBrien couldnt even bring himself to hire an OC at PSU because he didnt think anyone else was as smart as him

He will never last anywhere

What are you taking about, Fisher was our OC and was a terrific water boy for BOB. I'm sure Fisher knew what he was getting into and probably learned a lot from BOB wrt his scheme.

In about the 7 years he has been at Michigan, he has won 1 big game where his team overperformed. He typically loses the bowl games. He has yet to develop a quarterback. Reminds me of Earle Bruce and a step below John Cooper who could recruit but couldn't win big games.
You could swap "Michigan" for "Penn State" and be talking about Franklin.

I’ve heard Michigan is interested in Bill O’Brien. Can’t help but wonder if Harbaugh working this to get raise. Mich St head coach makes more than Harbaugh. Not sure that’s allowed in Michigan.
Despite what you homers think, Bill O’Brien is a hell of a coach. 10 wins with 55 scholarships and a bunch of “fahkers” at PSU . 4 years making the playoffs in Houston, two of which with trash qb’s. The perfect coach for psu at the time of the infractions.

They lost to Ohio. Does no one remember that? They lost to Virginia because BOB was too lazy to care about special teams. Franklin’s teams would have killed both of those teams. And don’t give me shit about sanctions. We had so much more talent on that team than either of those opponents. We paid the guy to learn how to be a head coach and he left at the first opportunity. The reverence for the guy is mystifying to me.
Are you talking about the same Franklin that lost to Illinois?

If the Raiders win tomorrow and make the playoffs Rich Bisaccia is almost certain to be retained as head coach.

Reactions: bison13
What are you taking about, Fisher was our OC and was a terrific water boy for BOB. I'm sure Fisher knew what he was getting into and probably learned a lot from BOB wrt his scheme.
Charlie was the QB's coach.

Despite what you homers think, Bill O’Brien is a hell of a coach. 10 wins with 55 scholarships and a bunch of “fahkers” at PSU . 4 years making the playoffs in Houston, two of which with trash qb’s. The perfect coach for psu at the time of the infractions.
He's a hell of a lot better coach than Franklin. Which ain't saying much.

Exactly, and the Franklin-Bots think that 1 big win from 6 seasons ago should trump the mess that Franklin has overseen the past two seasons.
Marsha 24, Rip E to Clown PA, and about 7 others. That's all that's left, the rest have been in exile. Lol.

In about the 7 years he has been at Michigan, he has won 1 big game where his team overperformed. He typically loses the bowl games. He has yet to develop a quarterback. Reminds me of Earle Bruce and a step below John Cooper who could recruit but couldn't win big games.
Difference is he's a proven winner in the NFL. But don't be confused by the facts.

I don’t think he ever won 10 games (8-4 and 7-5, IIRC), but your point stands.

Reactions: bison13
Did I miss something? I only mentioned Michigan was interested if Harbaugh walked. At no time did I say he was a poor coach.

Did I miss something? I only mentioned Michigan was interested if Harbaugh walked. At no time did I say he was a poor coach.
He's okay. He's become a multi millionaire and transitioned from a journeyman assistant football coach to a legend since rubbing against Brady and Belichick.

Rumor moving up and now NBC/ProFootballtalk site saying it will happen:

Four years ago, the worst-kept secret in the NFL was that the Raiders will hire Jon Gruden to be the team’s head coach. In the upcoming interview/hiring cycle, the worst-kept secret in the NFL could become that the Raiders will hire Jim Harbaugh as the permanent replacement for Gruden.

For now, buzz is building in league circles that team owner Mark Davis wants, and will get, the former 49ers and current Michigan coach.

Reactions: rrdd2021
On the other hand, the defense really didn't receive thorough coaching throughout the year. Day gambled on Kerry Combs who was a legend for coaching defensive backs but couldn't handle the defensive coordinator job.

OSUs defensive problems start at the top. Day is an OC by trade and when OCs become HC and retain play calling duties, it tends to lead to weaker defenses.

Day overreacted and didn't react enough to the Oregon game. Demoting Coombs, but wanting him to continue coaching and recruiting DBs was not the best move in my book.

The fact that seemingly 10 top 100 DL had trouble with the run against all your opponents who focus on running the ball was a much bigger issue than the 1 high vs 2 high safety argument.

Didn't you have to replace all your starting LBs? That usually shows up early in the season too.

Reactions: BBrown
I really like O’Brien, but it’s just so well known that he hated recruiting, gladhanding and everything that went along with PSU football, that he did not have to deal with in the pros.
But with NIL how much recruiting does he need to do? Just "show them the money" and his ability to coach and get them to the NFL Thats pretty much what recruiting has turned into.

Reactions: m48tank
O'Brien would do well at Michigan or any school or in the NFL if given another chance IMO. He's actually a very good HC. Just don't give him GM powers if it's an NFL job. He can easily hire great recruiters. Plus recruiting is largely amount money now for everyone including the Big Ten and ND.

Spot on.

Let's be honest here, the weather beat Ohio State, not Michigan. The same can be said for PSU losing to Michigan State this year and 4 years ago in the 3 hour rain delay.
Disagree. The Michy OL beat the snot out of the Buckeyes. Thats why they lost the game.
And this just in...but both teams had to play in the same weather and that includes us and MSU this year and 4 years ago.

OSUs defensive problems start at the top. Day is an OC by trade and when OCs become HC and retain play calling duties, it tends to lead to weaker defenses.

Day overreacted and didn't react enough to the Oregon game. Demoting Coombs, but wanting him to continue coaching and recruiting DBs was not the best move in my book.

The fact that seemingly 10 top 100 DL had trouble with the run against all your opponents who focus on running the ball was a much bigger issue than the 1 high vs 2 high safety argument.

Didn't you have to replace all your starting LBs? That usually shows up early in the season too.
Ohio state's defense was terrible against Alabama in the national championship game a year ago. It kept getting burned by the same play over and over with no adjustments. Exactly the same thing happened in the Oregon game. Obviously Combs, who is a very decent human being and had done very well when limited to coaching the defensive backs, was in way over his head. The defense played substantially better after he was relieved and didn't have the same problems of getting burned by the same play over and over again.

When Day was first hired and chose his own defensive coordinator unrelated to Ohio State, he chose Jeff Hafley who was a home run. Hafley went to Boston college and has been doing a good job.

Reactions: CbusLion10
I would love O’Brien at Michigan. If they think Harbaugh is a lazy recruiter…. BOB hates everything about recruiting.
Careful what you wish for. O’Brien was doing just fine recruiting considering the scandal and sanctions. He certainly knows what he is doing regarding offense.

Ohio state's defense was terrible against Alabama in the national championship game a year ago. It kept getting burned by the same play over and over with no adjustments. Exactly the same thing happened in the Oregon game. Obviously Combs, who is a very decent human being and had done very well when limited to coaching the defensive backs, was in way over his head. The defense played substantially better after he was relieved and didn't have the same problems of getting burned by the same play over and over again.

When Day was first hired and chose his own defensive coordinator unrelated to Ohio State, he chose Jeff Hafley who was a home run. Hafley went to Boston college and has been doing a good job.

Who wasn't terrible against that '20 Bama offense? I understand that they are the team to beat and moves have to be made, but if that feeling lingered over from the Bama game Coombs should have been let go January '21.

Day was on the coaching staff at SF with Hafley, so I'm not sure what your unrelated to OSU comment means. He hired a guy who had success there previously and had a successful stint in the NFL.

Key difference I see is Hafley had a defense recruited by Meyer. Coombs had mostly Day recruits this year.

morning talk shows were saying Harbaugh is going to take the Miami Dolphins job.

Could be bunk but smoke is rising:

Wait the Raiders don't want our superstar $8M a year coach? I AM SHOCKED!

Who wasn't terrible against that '20 Bama offense? I understand that they are the team to beat and moves have to be made, but if that feeling lingered over from the Bama game Coombs should have been let go January '21.

Day was on the coaching staff at SF with Hafley, so I'm not sure what your unrelated to OSU comment means. He hired a guy who had success there previously and had a successful stint in the NFL.

Key difference I see is Hafley had a defense recruited by Meyer. Coombs had mostly Day recruits this year.
Key difference was that OSU defense couldn't make adjustment to offensive plays that worked. At Oregon, it ran an against the grain sweep 3 times and and 3 times Oregon scored without anyone even touching the runner. Awful coaching. Alabama put a receiver in the backfield about 3 or 4 times and OSU never came close to adjusting to the play and Alabama easily scored 2 or 3 times on the same play. Alabama was a great team, but OSU's putrid defensive coaching didn't even give them a puncher's chance.

Combs was promoted up because of the great job he did with DBs like Lattimore, Ward, Ukudah and Jordan Fuller. Hope was he could continue the great recruiting with DBs and handle the defense. He clearly couldn't. A mistake, but an understandable mistake.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT