ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Edinboro dual - Sun. Feb. 25 at 2 pm

Shit.

Multiple bad possibilities here for Carter.

1). If he's out. Any crazy chance they consider sending out Facundo to Bigs? Probably not, but???

2). If he goes he may not be 100%. Just awful considering he's in the Hodge race and seeking #4

3). If Carter can go but needs to MFF out at Bigs, the Hodge is gone but he has the determination to pull off a Nolf miracle for #4.

Let's just pray it's not the ACL. I am good with seeing Carter in a big brace in both tourneys just killing people.
The Hodge doesn't mean squat here. Not even worth mentioning.

Shit.

Multiple bad possibilities here for Carter.

1). If he's out. Any crazy chance they consider sending out Facundo to Bigs? Probably not, but???

2). If he goes he may not be 100%. Just awful considering he's in the Hodge race and seeking #4

3). If Carter can go but needs to MFF out at Bigs, the Hodge is gone but he has the determination to pull off a Nolf miracle for #4.

Let's just pray it's not the ACL. I am good with seeing Carter in a big brace in both tourneys just killing people.

Just in case, Barraclough needs to be hitting the feed bag hard.

Also - Carter was on crutches after his 2023 title apparently. Dude won both 22, 23 not 100% for the record. This seems much worse than either of those but as Clay said, short of amputation, he's going to be pushing to go.

Reactions: diggerpup and mcpat
Penn State 55, Edinboro 0

125 – Braeden Davis (PSU) tech. fall Caleb Edwards (E), 19-3 4:02.
133 – Aaron Nagao (PSU) tech. fall Eamonn Jimenez (E), 18-3 3:33.
141 – Beau Bartlett (PSU) pinned Jacob Brenneman (E), 4:11.
149 – Tyler Kasak (PSU) pinned Colin Roberts (E), 3:20.
157 – Levi Haines (PSU) pinned Gannon Jaquay (E), 4:38.
165 – Mitchell Mesenbrink (PSU) won by forfeit.
174 – Carter Starocci (PSU) tech. fall Joseph Arnold (E), 22-5 2:45.
184 – Bernie Truax (PSU) tech. fall Brody Evans (E), 21-3 5:00.
197 – Aaron Brooks (PSU) tech. fall Jack Kilner (E), 19-4 3:55.
285 – Greg Kerkvliet (PSU) pinned Nicholas Lodato (E), 1:27.

Reactions: WaffleShopper
People have won NCAA's wrestling with a torn ACL, I believe Yianni did it after tearing his ACL at NCAA's. Then there is Spencer with a torn ACL in each knee.

The knee is much easier to brace/support than an ankle. I bet Carter goes and wins NCAA's, but medically forfeits at B1Gs. We saw Nolf do it on one leg, Carter can do the same.

It definitely sucks with the injury occuring after the Tech was secured. Any time these guys roll around in practice there is a chance of injury.
Had a good friend who made it to states in PA with torn ACL. His injury occurred 4 months before wrestling season. It did hamper his season. At this level, winning a title after a serious ACL injury is a big ask.

Hopefully, it's just a hyperextension, but I wouldn't rule out anything, or guess anything.

My son is currently at IUP. They seem pretty healthy.
IUP is struggling also but it size gives it a fighters chance. Enrollment in 2012 was 15,379 and had fallen off to 8,832 in 2022. This year enrollment had increased to 9,254. They have laid off many professors. Last year they had a $28 million budget deficit. So it is far from healthy.

Yes. Either way, regardless of the injury I would be floored if he didn’t brace it up and wrestle.
Are you sure about that? I thought they changed the rule to be that you have to wrestle two matches at the conference tournament in order to qualify for an at-large slot. Can't just walk on, MFF, and walk off.

That was partly on the ref, too. Once Carter lost the hold that got him 4 points, the match should have been stopped.
That's what I thought at first too, but wasn't really sure what was happening. If your statement is correct, that's just inexcusable by the ref.

That's what I thought at first too, but wasn't really sure what was happening. If your statement is correct, that's just inexcusable by the ref.
Yeah he had the 4NF, then recovered from NF into a bit of a scramble situation, very odd that the ref was basically ruling that Carter hadn't released the hold. He should have given the 4NF ending the match a second or two before the injury sequence IMO.

Reactions: KCLion
I was at the match and sitting a few rows behind the PSU bench. I know nothing, but, here are something I noticed:

1) Cael went back with Carter and didn't come back out until the end of AB's match
2) Kraft came back to his seat a little after Cael and didn't have the best look on his face. He seemed concerned.
3) Monthley didn't come back until a few minutes after Cael
4) Starocci's dad and brother went to the back and both had a heartfelt hug with Brooks on there way back there.
5) Carter obviously didn't come out for post-match handshakes

Again, just stating what I saw. None of us know anything at this point.

Does Carter have to finish a match at Big Tens or just take the matt to get an at large?
Match count doesn’t matter. You have to compete in the qualifying event which is the conference tourney to be eligible for an at large bid. He has enough matches to be considered for the at large.
Does he have to finish a match or just take the mat for one match?

Watched a few different views. Looked like LCL to me. His leg was trapped across the other wrestlers waist and leg bent sideways inward. Cannot totally rule out a meniscal tear from that angle, but likely not a PCL or ACL type injury. When Nolf got hurt, you could see the tibia translate posteriorly, so PCL injury, which we later found out was actually what was injured.

Carter has to wrestle Big Tens but he can bow out after 1 match since he'll be the 1 seed and I imagine that could very well be the plan.

Another lesser known story I think, Frank Molinaro tore his MCL and meniscus after the 2nd match of his 2012 tournament.

He thought he was done and got reenergized with Cael telling him "They don’t make movies about the people who quit. They don’t write books about the people who came 99 percent of the way and they hit a huge roadblock."

Well, LCL recovery is everything from 3-12 weeks depending upon the severity. If torn completely I don't see him going even with rest, injury default at Bigs, and a brace.

Let's hope it's a minor partial tear or strain of the 3 week recovery variety.

We could all definitely see the stress on the joint and his reaction, but it didn't seem as bad as Jason's injury where you could actually see the knee buckle as something tore.

I suspect we won't hear anything definitive from Cael between now and bigs, unless it were fully torn and he was deemed out. I suspect we will all be in the dark, discovering live if he wrestles or defaults out of his first match in a couple of weeks.

I don't think he will be out, and remain optimistic he will at least be on the Jason Nolf protocol until nationals with the same result.

In the arena of irresponsible chatter - If we encounter the worst case scenario, would it be outrageous to consider tossing in Facundo and burning his shirt? Oddly enough, might then Carter go second semester next year and bump Facundo for the tourneys to try for #4 next year? My biggest concern with Alex is he has been solely focused on Free, so his top and bottom skills would be far from optimal. I suspect he is definitely AA caliber even with the crazy circumstances. Granted we don't need him to win nationals.

All crazy somewhat silly speculation at this point, but it's going to be a very long two weeks. If Carter can't go this year he might have even less interest in going next year just to get #4.

It's hard to believe we could lose two #1s and still win nationals without much of a challenge. We are blessed despite the bad luck.

Well, LCL recovery is everything from 3-12 weeks depending upon the severity. If torn completely I don't see him going even with rest, injury default at Bigs, and a brace.

Let's hope it's a minor partial tear or strain of the 3 week recovery variety.

We could all definitely see the stress on the joint and his reaction, but it didn't seem as bad as Jason's injury where you could actually see the knee buckle as something tore.

I suspect we won't hear anything definitive from Cael between now and bigs, unless it were fully torn and he was deemed out. I suspect we will all be in the dark, discovering live if he wrestles or defaults out of his first match in a couple of weeks.

I don't think he will be out, and remain optimistic he will at least be on the Jason Nolf protocol until nationals with the same result.

In the arena of irresponsible chatter - If we encounter the worst case scenario, would it be outrageous to consider tossing in Facundo and burning his shirt? Oddly enough, might then Carter go second semester next year and bump Facundo for the tourneys to try for #4 next year? My biggest concern with Alex is he has been solely focused on Free, so his top and bottom skills would be far from optimal. I suspect he is definitely AA caliber even with the crazy circumstances. Granted we don't need him to win nationals.

All crazy somewhat silly speculation at this point, but it's going to be a very long two weeks. If Carter can't go this year he might have even less interest in going next year just to get #4.

It's hard to believe we could lose two #1s and still win nationals without much of a challenge. We are blessed despite the bad luck.
Barraclough on full feed would 100% be plan B.

I don’t think there is going to be a plan B. Starocci needs to win the NCAA title to qualify for Olympic Trials. So he either doesn’t go this postseason and gives up on being a 4xer and making the olympic team. OR he goes despite the injury and likely still wins NCAAS (as many before him have)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT