ADVERTISEMENT

Dumb football question to fire up my beloved brethren on the board

If CJF leaves at the end of the year do you think there is any chance at all that PSU circles back to BOB?
BOB is a wonderful offensive coordinator at the pro or college level. Nothing more. Can't recruit and can't make the kinds of decisions required of head coaches.

BOB is a wonderful offensive coordinator at the pro or college level. Nothing more. Can't recruit and can't make the kinds of decisions required of head coaches.
He's hit and miss as a recruiter. A little more than half of the guys that committed to PSU while he was HC became starters or saw a lot of PT. He was very good recruiting some positions such as WR, and S, and not at all good at others such as OT, DT, and CB. His roster construction left something to be desired.

Reactions: MoyerJones
He's hit and miss as a recruiter. A little more than half of the guys that committed to PSU while he was HC became starters or saw a lot of PT. He was very good recruiting some positions such as WR, and S, and not at all good at others such as OT, DT, and CB. His roster construction left something to be desired.
Let's not forget he had significant restrictions in recruiting numbers.

Let's not forget he had significant restrictions in recruiting numbers.
He was dealt an extremely difficult recruiting hand, no question. That said, recruiting the same number of CBs as OL doesn't seem like a great use of the limited number of scholarships that he had to give. It wasn't like he inherited an exceptionally well stocked OL cupboard.

Whether you like or hate Bill O'Brien you can't argue with his judge/assessment of assistant coaches (sans one).

The guy's coaching Roladex was deep and talented. It's been a long time since PSU had positional coaches (sans one) as good as BO'B hired.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
We damn near received the death penalty and we are going to comment on O'Brien's roster construction.......
Yes, because even with brutal sanctions you need guys to play all the positions. Signing six guys to fill two slots (he recruited another three guys to play safety plus Nick Scott) and signing the same number to fill five positions isn't great management of limited resources IMHO.

Last edited:
I was a bit surprised by the sru vs iup score. I'll probably check out the cal u. Vs iup this Saturday. The Rock can still win the conference however someone has to beat the crimson hawks. I sure hope coach stays at psu.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Which made it even more weird that he over-recruited the TEs and WRs
If recruiting numbers are restricted it makes perfect sense to some that play makers get scholarships and then try to fill out the roster with walk on types.

I was a bit surprised by the sru vs iup score. I'll probably check out the cal u. Vs iup this Saturday. The Rock can still win the conference however someone has to beat the crimson hawks. I sure hope coach stays at psu.
Couldn’t cover Irvin Charles or get any pressure on there QB. They have very good offensive and defensive lines.

If recruiting numbers are restricted it makes perfect sense to some that play makers get scholarships and then try to fill out the roster with walk on types.
No, it doesn't make sense to try to build a team that way. If your OL is composed of "walk on types", how are your play makers going to do anything when there are no holes for the backs and no protection for the QB? If the center of your DL, composed of "walk-on types" is getting shoved off the ball and the DBs are defend a QB who isn't being pressured, how do you expect to get a stop?

Couldn’t cover Irvin Charles or get any pressure on there QB. They have very good offensive and defensive lines.
That would be Irv Charles of the 2015 PSU recruiting class and an 80-yard TD reception against Minnesota?

What a winding road he has traveled.

No, it doesn't make sense to try to build a team that way. If your OL is composed of "walk on types", how are your play makers going to do anything when there are no holes for the backs and no protection for the QB? If the center of your DL, composed of "walk-on types" is getting shoved off the ball and the DBs are defend a QB who isn't being pressured, how do you expect to get a stop?
You can make rationalizations like that both ways.....if you have ok lines and no talent outside you can lose that way too.

Your argument assumes there were 4 star linemen that wanted to come to PSU and O'Brien passed on them. It never appeared there were great choices that BOB passed over. It was more like circling the wagons and finding out who the hell would climb aboard the Titanic. Hack signed on for the voyage and was widely hailed for volunteering because everyone knew how PSU HAD to be depleted with only 15 slots.

I think they’d more likely be coached by a cardboard cutout of Joepa before they call up BOB again.

He will forever be remembered for the 2012 team, and the 2013 4 OT game vs. Michigan.

He will also be remembered for being the first PSU football coach ever to lose to Indiana, and basically getting blown out by them because he gambled on stupid plays.

He did things that didn't make sense.
FWIW, I thought he did a better far job than anyone could have reasonably expected under the circumstances. When the sanctions hit, I fully expected that the program would take more than a decade to produce a team I could reasonably expect to have a winning record. That the program never sank that low and bounced back as quickly as it did is in no small part a product of his efforts.

You can make rationalizations like that both ways.....if you have ok lines and no talent outside you can lose that way too.

Your argument assumes there were 4 star linemen that wanted to come to PSU and O'Brien passed on them. It never appeared there were great choices that BOB passed over. It was more like circling the wagons and finding out who the hell would climb aboard the Titanic. Hack signed on for the voyage and was widely hailed for volunteering because everyone knew how PSU HAD to be depleted with only 15 slots.

My argument doesn't assume that there were 4 star lineman waiting to sign with PSU. My argument is that it makes little sense to sign several 3 star CBs to fully stock a three-deep and barely enough OL and DL to fill out a 2 deep. The talent was going to be down, no question, but it does little good to sign someone just to use a scholarship or because the player would commit and had x number of stars while not addressing roster needs.

Last edited:
My argument doesn't assume that there were 4 star lineman waiting to sign with PSU. My argument is that it makes little sense to sign several 3 star CBs to fully stock a three-deep and barely enough OL and DL to fill out a 2 deep. The talent was going to be down, no question, but it does little good to sign someone just to use a scholarship or because the player would commit and had x number of stars while not addressing roster needs.
So what would you do if no lineman wanted to commit.....that were of any value?? Which ....for all we know is exactly what happened.

Bill O'Brien won at Iowa and at Wisky, finished 8 - 4 at the end of an absolutely horrid situation of a season. BOB will always be a hero to me for keeping the ship afloat. If you want to find fault with him......that's your prerogative.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT