RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
With Hansard breaking his ankle, Looks like we only have:
Givens
Windsor
Shelton
Mustipher
Thorpe (temp conversion from OL)
Damian Barber (they have to give him some reps and hopefully he'll help the cause)

CANNOT afford anymore injuris @ DT

Redshirting:
Hawkins
Culpepper

neither are even close to contributing physically. they would get mauled if put on the field now.

Two DTs play at one time usually. From his list they are 3 deep. How many DTs do you need?

Neither Hawkins or Culpepper are going to get manhandled versus Indiana, Rutgers, or Maryland. They would probably be starting for Rutgers.

Yep, but 6 good DT's would usually be plenty. Problem is only Givens and Windsor have shown to be ready for prime time so far. Shelton and Mustipher have made some plays, but also seem to get lost in the shuffle. Barber has hardly played and I believe only made the depth chart this week. Thorpe is big and strong and we have to hope he can quickly get his defensive prowess back, but Hope is not a business strategy.....

Wish Hansard a quick and full recovery. An injury like this will set back his development, but hopefully he is full go for Spring practice. I have not seen him make many plays in the limited snaps he has gotten so far this season. Anyone know what percentage of the snaps he has played??

There are many that thought Thorpe would play DT rather than OL at this level. He has the body and disposition (maybe too much...lol). Mustipher,Shelton and Thorpe have to gwt it done in a hurry. In all three of their cases, I like their attitude. Time will tell.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Givens
Windsor
Shelton
Mustipher
Damian Barber (they have to give him some reps and hopefully he'll help the cause)

Redshirting:
Hawkins
Culpepper
Somewhere Bill O'Brien is laughing his ass off. How did you sleep during the sanctions era?

Givens
Windsor
Shelton
Mustipher

Redshirting:
Hawkins
Culpepper

Recruiting misses 2-3 years ago, looming large now!!

Amani will play in the NFL. Castro Fields also.

I mean Oruwariye probably goes day 2. I think some people are just frustrated right now and saying absurd things. Honestly, this team is underachieving IMO but there's still a lot of talent. The talent on the defensive side of the ball is just, generally speaking, young. I'm a little concerned about the coaching staff's ability to help these guys reach their potential but there's NFL talent on both sides of the ball. Next year probably won't see a conference title or a playoff birth but 2020 it all needs to come together or we'll have to take a much deeper look at the staff. It's hard to be patient after the past couple years of us being so close but we're still ahead of schedule

Reactions: GregInPitt
Including Hansard. So why is it critical to lose a DT that played only sparingly??
Hansard was in the rotation more so than Mustipher. The small # of tackles Hansard had are the wrong measure to use. He was 2nd team and was getting increased PT. Now a true Frosh (Mustipher) has to absorb those minutes if Ellison Jordan doesn'T play.

There are many that thought Thorpe would play DT rather than OL at this level. He has the body and disposition (maybe too much...lol). Mustipher,Shelton and Thorpe have to gwt it done in a hurry. In all three of their cases, I like their attitude. Time will tell.
I ‘d like to see Thorpe’s disposition in at least one offensive lineman.

Hansard was in the rotation more so than Mustipher. The small # of tackles Hansard had are the wrong measure to use. He was 2nd team and was getting increased PT. Now a true Frosh (Mustipher) has to absorb those minutes if Ellison Jordan doesn'T play.

Now you're making circular arguments. You can't put "played sparingly" and "critical" in the same argument and make any sense.

Reactions: stormingnorm
I mean Oruwariye probably goes day 2. I think some people are just frustrated right now and saying absurd things. Honestly, this team is underachieving IMO but there's still a lot of talent. The talent on the defensive side of the ball is just, generally speaking, young. I'm a little concerned about the coaching staff's ability to help these guys reach their potential but there's NFL talent on both sides of the ball. Next year probably won't see a conference title or a playoff birth but 2020 it all needs to come together or we'll have to take a much deeper look at the staff. It's hard to be patient after the past couple years of us being so close but we're still ahead of schedule
I'd be pretty shocked if Armani goes day 2 tbh

Linebackers are almost as bad. We don't have a single NFL player on defense outside of maybe Parsons down the road

Disagree, Luketa should be one. Then guys like Brandon Smith and Lance Dixon coming next year would certainly be potentials. I know, just potential right now, but there in lies the issues with this team. Not getting big time backers is not good in college football. They are so important.

It’s laughable to suggest that the defense is devoid of NFL talent outside of Parsons. Almost every one of our defensive regulars has a genuine chance of being drafted. We lost two games, but it doesn’t do anyone any good to pretend as though this team suddenly doesn’t have any talent. It has a bunch of it.

It’s laughable to suggest that the defense is devoid of NFL talent outside of Parsons. Almost every one of our defensive regulars has a genuine chance of being drafted. We lost two games, but it doesn’t do anyone any good to pretend as though this team suddenly doesn’t have any talent. It has a bunch of it.

You think our safety and DTs are NFL material?

Drugs are bad

You think our safety and DTs are NFL material?

Drugs are bad
I absolutely believe that Garrett Taylor and Kevin Givens will have the opportunity. I’m on the fence about Nick Scott, though I lean yes if his testing numbers are where I think they’ll be - he’s a better football player than Apke. I don’t see an NFL future for Windsor, though he’s got another year to make one for himself.

I absolutely believe that Garrett Taylor and Kevin Givens will have the opportunity. I’m on the fence about Nick Scott, though I lean yes if his testing numbers are where I think they’ll be - he’s a better football player than Apke. I don’t see an NFL future for Windsor, though he’s got another year to make one for himself.

Yep, and before his injury many here were projecting Reid to leave after his Junior year for the NFL. He has been slow, from a fans perspective, in rounding back into form. But that does not mean he won't get back to and beyond where he was by the end of 2019.

I am skeptical to name our DE's as NFL material, due to the fact that in many NFL defenses they project as LB's at 250-260 lbs, but Barnes made NFL rosters a few years and both Miller and YGM look to be as talented as he was/is....

Disagree, Luketa should be one. Then guys like Brandon Smith and Lance Dixon coming next year would certainly be potentials. I know, just potential right now, but there in lies the issues with this team. Not getting big time backers is not good in college football. They are so important.
Dixon may contribute on special teams next year (though I expect a RS), but he will need some time before he is ready to play on D.

giphy.gif

You can delete everything outside of the bolded. I've been trying to say this since saturday, but no one listens. there is a TON of talent on the D, but it's just so young. TCF, Wade, Parsons, Luketa... etc. SO many people expected 2-3 losses this year, and when they happen people lose their minds. I just don't get it. There's ZERO realism on these here boards after a loss.

giphy.gif

You can delete everything outside of the bolded. I've been trying to say this since saturday, but no one listens. there is a TON of talent on the D, but it's just so young. TCF, Wade, Parsons, Luketa... etc. SO many people expected 2-3 losses this year, and when they happen people lose their minds. I just don't get it. There's ZERO realism on these here boards after a loss.
RIbaaVO.gif

giphy.gif

We’re 2 plays away from being undefeated. Although I suppose that App State would say they were one play away from upsetting us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT