ADVERTISEMENT

Football Drew Allar's passing numbers via PFF

Just rewatched game on Big Ten in 60.

Observations:
Wallace was missed more than I imagined. Not only did McClain drop a few in his spot...but Clifford saw way more targets than usual. And most of Clifford's targets were out of whack...like, not really the right route, or else Allar was way off. That speaks to inexperienced players (of which Allar is certainly one). Not sure how Wallace looks for this week, but at this early point in the season, we need our most experienced and talented guys to get rhythm.

Allar's numbers vs. Illinois were ho-hum....but considering the drops and Wallace's absence, he's still quite incredible. Picked up some first downs with his legs...and--once again--no turnovers. One or two turnovers on our side, and that game may have been still up for grabs in the 4th quarter.

Our RBs in the passing game are pretty sweet. Subtract Allen's dropped TD (catchable ball...but challenging for sure)...and they were far more potent in the passing game than in the run game. I think both guys need to hit holes harder rather than waiting to see holes open up so they can break bigger runs.

I'm more confident heading into this weekend pound for pound. Our offense will be challenged by their D, but I think we'll be up for it.

(NOTE: Weather could play into Iowa's hands overall...)

The WR's will continue to evolve, get better, and sort themselves out. There may be some games where someone comes off the bench and has a big game. At this point, other than KLS I don't believe there necessarily is any "usual" for the WR's.

Even the TE's which most believe would hit the ground running haven't been exactly what was expected with Johnson yet to get really going within the offense. He was targeted 5 times with 2 catches I believe against Illinois. Hopefully Johnson makes a couple big plays and Warren continues his steady play which will help Allar and the offense.

But if the rain really washes out the game this week we may have to wait another week to see progress in the passing game.

I was a little surprised about the off-season love for Trey Wallace. I hope he's as reliable as they say when he gets healthy.

KLS has been impressive. Hoping he'll be a big game #1 WR for us.

I've been fine with the TE production...it seems like Theo is targeted less than Tyler, despite equal PT. But combined...the two are super solid.

The highest level complement Franklin has for a player is to call him a "steady Eddie." That is what Allar could be for this team. He could basically be a John Shaffer with a Kerry Collins arm, which would be a special thing. Tomorrow night against Iowa, playing in wind and rain, they're going to need some John Shaffer.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Another observation from rewatching the game...

we were up 30-7 with 14 minutes left in the 4th quarter. We really were about to blow the game wide open...

Allar sat and Pribula got 2 series with the first string. THIS was huge. So glad the coaches made time for him like this. This was part of the failure during the Tommy Stevens and Will Levis eras...those guys didn't get meaningful snaps as QB1 (and not some weird decoy...or JUST RUN IT, in Levis' case). Big picture...this was great for the team.

However, in the Illinois game, it meant lackluster drives of 6, 3, and 6. And Illinois had the ball 8 minutes to our 6 in the final 14 minutes. And with that advantage, they got a garbage time TD...to make the game feel even closer.

Without Pribula's development in mind, Allar leads at least one more series and maybe scores again...and the win is 37-7 or 33-10 and we all feel a lot better about the first road win of the season

Another observation from rewatching the game...

we were up 30-7 with 14 minutes left in the 4th quarter. We really were about to blow the game wide open...

Allar sat and Pribula got 2 series with the first string. THIS was huge. So glad the coaches made time for him like this. This was part of the failure during the Tommy Stevens and Will Levis eras...those guys didn't get meaningful snaps as QB1 (and not some weird decoy...or JUST RUN IT, in Levis' case). Big picture...this was great for the team.

However, in the Illinois game, it meant lackluster drives of 6, 3, and 6. And Illinois had the ball 8 minutes to our 6 in the final 14 minutes. And with that advantage, they got a garbage time TD...to make the game feel even closer.

Without Pribula's development in mind, Allar leads at least one more series and maybe scores again...and the win is 37-7 or 33-10 and we all feel a lot better about the first road win of the season

I agree it was great that Pribula got to play with 1st team against Illinois first-teamers. It was great that Franklin got Allar out out of there and didn't risk injury. They were able to do that because the PSU D had completely solved the Ill. offense and there was zero chance Illinois would have scored 3 TDs to get back in the game.

And it really doesn't matter whether Pribula's drives were successful or not. He was able to run the offense which is what is important. Every sliver of actual experience against a good defense is gold.

I don't feel any better at 37-7 or 52-7 or whaterver, 30-14 was just fine. The game was over by the end of Q3 and that's a good thing.

Reactions: 94LionsFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT