ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Allar

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
So if Clifford leaves next year, does Drew Allar get to campus early and win the starting QB job as a true freshman?

I say get both Allar and Pribula in early and fight it out. Also wouldn't hurt to get the RB Singleton in early as well, the RB's this year just look off.

The problem is that we are so thin at QB, we need both of them to stick around.

I know how bad he played today, but I never write a kid off that quick. Tough spot today.
Yes. Roberson did not show much today but I'd give the kid a chance. If he's mentally tough, he can use this experience as a real positive. We'll need that if Clifford is out for any length of time.

Yes. Roberson did not show much today but I'd give the kid a chance. If he's mentally tough, he can use this experience as a real positive. We'll need that if Clifford is out for any length of time.
Agreed. If I wrote some of my young players off when they played poorly, I would have never seen a lot of good players. He may not be the answer moving forward, but it takes playing time to figure that out.

Reactions: Sharkies and Madsol
Roberson looked decent on the FG drive. It is tuff to open the playbook when you are starting most of your drives in the shadow of your own end zone. The bye week could not come at a better time. He will get 2 weeks to prepare for Illinois at home. Let's see how it plays out

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Brenton Strange did him no favors.
I think people overlook the fact that everyone’s confidence went down when Clifford got hurt. The kids know what Roberson is from practice. Franklin will just blow smoke up our asses so we don’t know. I felt like the rest of the team went, “we’re screwed” with Roberson in there. Hell the guy is about as tall as Doug Flutie.

they will have to adjust the playbook to Roberson's strengths, spread the field, short passes and let him run

If a true freshman starts and his name isn’t Trevor Lawrence the team is in trouble.
Allar sounds pretty damn good. If Roberson’s best stuff is on the field at Kinnick, give me a freshman all day.

Without an early enrollment, 0 chance. But given he will be an EE, I think there’s a legit shot Allar could earn starting spot; would probably peg at a roughly 30% chance.

If a true freshman starts and his name isn’t Trevor Lawrence the team is in trouble.
Drew Allar has a NFL body, he is the 12 ranked kid in the nation, the top rated QB and just received his 5th star. I am hoping Drew Allar makes a name for himself but there is no reason he isn’t every bit as good as Trevor Lawrence, his accomplishments so far definitely put him in that conversation.

Reactions: bison13
QB Room next year will be:

Clifford
Allar
Pribula
CV

Roberson portals to Old Dominion after the season.

Would you rather be 6-6 with a true freshman QB or 8-4 with an upperclassmen? I’d rather take a rebuilding year.
If it were me, I would at least have Allar playing in a 2 QB system until he takes control. Also would be playing other early enrollees such as Saunders, Singleton, Allan. We may struggle early but come October look out. Would set up for an exciting 2022 and a run in 2023.

If it were me, I would at least have Allar playing in a 2 QB system until he takes control. Also would be playing other early enrollees such as Saunders, Singleton, Allan. We may struggle early but come October look out. Would set up for an exciting 2022 and a run in 2023.
Exactly….get them in the rotation….if we lose some games, so be it.

Drew Allar has a NFL body, he is the 12 ranked kid in the nation, the top rated QB and just received his 5th star. I am hoping Drew Allar makes a name for himself but there is no reason he isn’t every bit as good as Trevor Lawrence, his accomplishments so far definitely put him in that conversation.
You just described Anthony Morelli. He wasn't the 12th player ranked in a class, but he was the #1 qb ranked is some databases. Difference here is Yurcich, not Jay Paterno or Galen Hall as his coach.

QB Room next year will be:

Clifford
Allar
Pribula
CV

Roberson portals to Old Dominion after the season.
Nobody keeps two starting quality QBs in their same class year anymore- the portal makes it easy to go elsewhere to start

Conventional thought is Clifford will not return. However, I kind of think that playing with his younger brother, Liam, could actually be a huge draw. Especially if it doesn’t look like his draft position is going to be all that high.

Was trying to remember what the rest of the QB room looked like while he was here. Amazing how little they got out of him, Paul Jones, Kevin Newsome.
Only an elite qb coach could take…

Bolden 4*
Newsome 4*
Jones 5*
And get 0 out of them while having them ALL get beat out by a Walk-On

Reactions: ram2020
Only an elite qb coach could take…

Bolden 4*
Newsome 4*
Jones 5*
And get 0 out of them while having them ALL get beat out by a Walk-On
To be fair, they didn't really do much at their next stops. I dont think Newsome even used up all his eligibility at Temple. Jones ended up at Robert Morris. Bolden never saw the field at LSU and then was a backup at EMU as a 5th year senior

Reactions: BBrown and bison13
Let them all have at it. You never know. With Covid and another new coordinator, my guess is that they had to work with Clifford running more reps in new offense with few going to Roberson. He never played before and most problems were with communication. 86 and 70 did not do him right. Throws a nice ball, keeps eyes downfield and runs well when needed. This was the result of starting with tough games. #1 needs real reps to work on stuff, so #2 sits.

Conventional thought is Clifford will not return. However, I kind of think that playing with his younger brother, Liam, could actually be a huge draw. Especially if it doesn’t look like his draft position is going to be all that high.
SC might return, but if he is coming back and by now not an NFL prospect, he will NOT be the starter for the full year. He will be on the rope to be replaced whenever the next guy takes over. We have seen TR a few times, and nothing in his skill set looks like the next starter, and he just beat out CV for the #2. That means next year at this time our starter is one of the two big time FR - either Pribulla or Allar. Maybe both of them get some time before picking one. I do not see a 6th year QB who essentially has no NFL future holding down a whole year and then leaving 2023 as the find your QB year. Actually, if SC announces he is returning for a 6th year and this is publicly endorsed by JF, I think we could lose 1 or both QB recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT