ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Allar

SC might return, but if he is coming back and by now not an NFL prospect, he will NOT be the starter for the full year. He will be on the rope to be replaced whenever the next guy takes over. We have seen TR a few times, and nothing in his skill set looks like the next starter, and he just beat out CV for the #2. That means next year at this time our starter is one of the two big time FR - either Pribulla or Allar. Maybe both of them get some time before picking one. I do not see a 6th year QB who essentially has no NFL future holding down a whole year and then leaving 2023 as the find your QB year. Actually, if SC announces he is returning for a 6th year and this is publicly endorsed by JF, I think we could lose 1 or both QB recruits.
Totally disagree. I don’t think you lose a QB recruit because they might have to be 2nd string for just their true freshman year, especially when they see the depth chart will soon be open.

Drew Allar has a NFL body, he is the 12 ranked kid in the nation, the top rated QB and just received his 5th star. I am hoping Drew Allar makes a name for himself but there is no reason he isn’t every bit as good as Trevor Lawrence, his accomplishments so far definitely put him in that conversation.
I’m super excited about Allar but his accomplishments so far are no where near Lawrence. Drew is 74th in the composite and the #7 QB. TL was the #1 overall prospect on every recruiting service.

Drew Allar has a NFL body, he is the 12 ranked kid in the nation, the top rated QB and just received his 5th star. I am hoping Drew Allar makes a name for himself but there is no reason he isn’t every bit as good as Trevor Lawrence, his accomplishments so far definitely put him in that conversation.

Agree, except Allar doesn't have quite the velocity or speed of Lawrence at the same age.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I’m super excited about Allar but his accomplishments so far are no where near Lawrence. Drew is 74th in the composite and the #7 QB. TL was the #1 overall prospect on every recruiting service.
He’s the number 12 prospect on 247 (#1 QB), and the number 36 prospect on ESPN (#4 QB). I’m not sure who’s corn flakes Drew pissed in at Rivals to continue to be underrated.

Reactions: bison13
He’s the number 12 prospect on 247 (#1 QB), and the number 36 prospect on ESPN (#4 QB). I’m not sure who’s corn flakes Drew pissed in at Rivals to continue to be underrated.
That's why I only pay attention to the 247 Composite. Some services overrate a kid, others don't give him enough credit. The 247 Composite averages all of these biases.

To be fair, they didn't really do much at their next stops. I dont think Newsome even used up all his eligibility at Temple. Jones ended up at Robert Morris. Bolden never saw the field at LSU and then was a backup at EMU as a 5th year senior
Could argue…after they were already ruined by ineptness...but it’s a pointless debate.

Could argue…after they were already ruined by ineptness...but it’s a pointless debate.
Maybe for Newsome. The others weren't in the program long enough to have been ruined if the talent was really there. Agreed no point in debating, water way under the bridge. Jay can ruin football players by voting against expenditures for the team now instead.

Reactions: Cpeplion
SC might return, but if he is coming back and by now not an NFL prospect, he will NOT be the starter for the full year. He will be on the rope to be replaced whenever the next guy takes over. We have seen TR a few times, and nothing in his skill set looks like the next starter, and he just beat out CV for the #2. That means next year at this time our starter is one of the two big time FR - either Pribulla or Allar. Maybe both of them get some time before picking one. I do not see a 6th year QB who essentially has no NFL future holding down a whole year and then leaving 2023 as the find your QB year. Actually, if SC announces he is returning for a 6th year and this is publicly endorsed by JF, I think we could lose 1 or both QB recruits.
Kenny Pickett says hi.

Clifford could technically choose to come back next year, correct?
You can bet that the Ohio State coaches are whispering to Allar that Clifford is likely to come back and thus Allar will sit his first year at Penn State. However, if Allar goes to the Ohio State then they will dump their current QB and Allar will start immediately.

• Haha
Reactions: BobPSU92 and BBrown
You can bet that the Ohio State coaches are whispering to Allar that Clifford is likely to come back and thus Allar will sit his first year at Penn State. However, if Allar goes to the Ohio State then they will dump their current QB and Allar will start immediately.
What? You’re crazy! They have four QBs that could/would start just about anywhere. He’s not going to Ohio State. He’s stated as much. Stop this ridiculous narrative.

ll
If Allar is forced to start immediately next year, it could be a long year for PSU football. And this is not a shot at Allar - very few true freshman are ready for big-time CF straight out of HS as most of us already know. Trevor Lawrence was an exception. Was reading an article on OSU's Eleven Warriors that their all-everything QB, true freshman Ewers - has a LONG ways to go before he's anywhere near ready to make a contribution. His arm - strength an accuracy - is off the charts but....... The best thing that can happen to Allar is Clifford returning and letting Allar slowly work his way onto the field.

Also, OSU is not getting Allar to flip but that's contingent on the the PSU coaching staff staying put (of course). If Franklin leaves for another school, all bets are off. He loves and has a great relationship with the staff. OSU realizes that Allar is a long shot at best if Franklin stays and is really trying to get in USC 2022 commit D. Brown's ear - who they are also trying to flip

Only an elite qb coach could take…

Bolden 4*
Newsome 4*
Jones 5*
And get 0 out of them while having them ALL get beat out by a Walk-On
Possibly but then no other QB coach got anything out of them either. Perhaps it was more the evaluator than the coach. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: bison13
To be fair, they didn't really do much at their next stops. I dont think Newsome even used up all his eligibility at Temple. Jones ended up at Robert Morris. Bolden never saw the field at LSU and then was a backup at EMU as a 5th year senior
He was also switched to WR at one point.

Yep, and the QB who played ended up with a 4 year career in the NFL. Go figure.

Bit of an indictment of the ratings system. If you look at the top rated guys from around that time, they're pretty much all busts.

Top 10:

Phillip Sims

Phillip SimsOscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA)
    PRO
    6-2 / 217
    31 1 1
    Alabama

Blake Bell

Blake BellBishop Carroll (Wichita, KS)
    DUAL
    6-6 / 215
    66 1 1
    Oklahoma

Devin Gardner

Devin GardnerInkster (Inkster, MI)
    DUAL
    6-4 / 195
    67 2 2
    Michigan

Jesse Scroggins

Jesse ScrogginsLakewood (Lakewood, CA)
    PRO
    6-3 / 195
    77 2 13
    USC

Rob Bolden

Rob BoldenSt. Mary's (West Bloomfield, MI)
    DUAL
    6-4 / 200
    91 3 3
    Penn State

Tyler Bray

Tyler BrayKingsburg (Kingsburg, CA)
    PRO
    6-6 / 210
    94 3 14
    Tennessee

Jake Heaps

Jake HeapsSkyline (Sammamish, WA)
    PRO
    6-2 / 195
    95 4 1
    BYU

Connor Wood

Connor WoodSecond Baptist (Houston, TX)
    PRO
    6-4 / 209
    145 5 22
    Texas

Paul Jones

Paul JonesSto-Rox (Mckees Rocks, PA)
    PRO
    6-3 / 226
    149 6 5
    Penn State

Barry Brunetti

Barry BrunettiMemphis University School (Memphis, TN)
    DUAL
    6-0 / 207
    186 4 5
    West Virginia

Last edited:
What? You’re crazy! They have four QBs that could/would start just about anywhere. He’s not going to Ohio State. He’s stated as much. Stop this ridiculous narrative.
If Ohio State is loaded at QB then why were Ohio State coaches at Allar's game last Friday night? Supposedly Allar is the number 1 QB prospect in the country. Do you think all 4 of Ohio State's current QBs are better prospects?

If Ohio State is loaded at QB then why were Ohio State coaches at Allar's game last Friday night? Supposedly Allar is the number 1 QB prospect in the country. Do you think all 4 of Ohio State's current QBs are better prospects?
Because programs like OSU never stop recruiting top talent. They have recruited a 5* QB three years in a row. The fact the are trying to flip Allar doesn’t mean they don’t love their QB room

They're recruiting both Allar and D. Brown hard because they'll probably lose one - maybe even two - of the current QBs on their roster to the portal which has really impacted CF recruiting. Don't forget that former 2022 no. 1 overall recruit QB Ewers threw a monkey wrench into OSU's QB plan when he reclassified from 2022 to 2021 and is currently on the OSU roster. And if OSU didn't feel they had an excellent chance with Ewers, they would have initially went after Allar hard.

As for all 4 being better prospects, we won't know until Allar is on a CF roster. Big difference between dominating HS football and CF.

Yep, and the QB who played ended up with a 4 year career in the NFL. Go figure.
Fact.
Possibly but then no other QB coach got anything out of them either. Perhaps it was more the evaluator than the coach. 🤷‍♂️
This was in the middle of college football being dominated by the Zone Read. Vince Young had everybody searching for the next guy who could run like hell and throw a good ball.

The reality of it: the # who could do so was small. Didn't stop evaluators from propping up kids who could throw in t-shirts and mesh shorts, but weren't throwing a lot in HS.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
Well, since one of their current QBs was the consensus top QB in the 2022 class by a large margin until he reclassified, enrolled early and got paid a million dollars, and two others are five stars that have been in the system for multiple years, they wouldn’t be promising Allar the starting job.

Well, since one of their current QBs was the consensus top QB in the 2022 class by a large margin until he reclassified, enrolled early and got paid a million dollars, and two others are five stars that have been in the system for multiple years, they wouldn’t be promising Allar the starting job.

Day's best pitch: if you win the job, you are probably going to be a first round pick.

If you transfer out, you might be the next Joe Burrow.

It's way more about prepping you to get drafted than playing time. Consecutive Big 10 titles and playoff appearances to boot.

Day's best pitch: if you win the job, you are probably going to be a first round pick.

If you transfer out, you might be the next Joe Burrow.

It's way more about prepping you to get drafted than playing time. Consecutive Big 10 titles and playoff appearances to boot.
Like it or not, the top QB schools over the last 4 or 5 years are

1.) Oklahoma
1a) OSU
2 Alabama

Those three basically get almost every HS QB they go after hard. Both Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day have the reputations of QB gurus - especially Riley. And I believe Day was a QB coach in the NFL.

1.) Oklahoma
1a) OSU
2 Alabama

Those three basically get almost every HS QB they go after hard. Both Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day have the reputations of QB gurus - especially Riley. And I believe Day was a QB coach in the NFL.

And that's leaving out Clemson. Watson/Lawrence are as good as any those 3 have produced.

And not coincidentally these are the playoff teams as well.

3 mins and 4.5 mins

No doubt he had some poor throws in this game, but what I pointed out and again at 7:00 is what he's capable of, and definitely showed more consistently in recent highlights. Maybe he wasn't feeling great that game or maybe he's gotten stronger as the season has progressed. I've noticed that Pribula's arm seems stronger too in his last game versus earlier in the season. Back to the play at 7:00, notice how he maneuvers in the pocket to escape pressure while keeping his eyes downfield, then throws a perfectly thrown ball so his WR can run after the catch: composure, mobility, accuracy. I'd say velocity is the least of his strengths but still has good arm strength, just not a Lawrence, Fields, Ewers type fastball (as freshman).

And that's leaving out Clemson. Watson/Lawrence are as good as any those 3 have produced.

And not coincidentally these are the playoff teams as well.
And check out Georgia's QB recruiting lately. Heck, they were so stacked that Justin Fields transferred out.

Funny how that works out, huh ? I think we can all agree - well, most of us - that a CF team's success starts at the QB position

1.) Oklahoma
1a) OSU
2 Alabama

top qb schools using what metric? getting QBs drafted? maybe. preparing QBs to play in the NFL? no. Career longevity? no. putting up gaudy numbers in college? maybe yes.

Since 2000, 7 QBs drafted in 21 years. TOTAL:
Steve Bellisari - who?
Craig Krenzel - huh?
Troy Smith - flash year or 2 but nah
Terrelle Pryor - HAH!
Cardale Jones - nope
Dwayne Haskins - Funniest of all
Justin Fields - too early to tell

OSU is NOT a QB school. they're a WR/DE/CB/OL school, but in no way are they a QB school.

And check out Georgia's QB recruiting lately. Heck, they were so stacked that Justin Fields transferred out.

Funny how that works out, huh ? I think we can all agree - well, most of us - that a CF team's success starts at the QB position

I don't have a clue how much Fields progressed from his freshman to sophomore years, but Kirby played it way too safe. He rolled with the game manager over pure arm talent and it cost him. Difference in Saban and Smart right there and it's on display in the trophy cases.

Now he's rolling with a former walk on who went JUCO before getting a 'ship and a USC transfer who can't get healthy. His '22 commit looks good though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT