ADVERTISEMENT

Double Red Alert! Current Lake Mead water level!!

This is what happens when you keep growing and building residential areas without factoring in they might need water. It's a literal going to the same well too many times.
This is a microcosm of why I believe that places like the Industrial Northeast and Midwest, which never will face a water shortage, can experience a population surge if the governments of these states would make the right decisions when it comes to industries (think fossil fuels and PA).

This is a microcosm of why I believe that places like the Industrial Northeast and Midwest, which never will face a water shortage, can experience a population surge if the governments of these states would make the right decisions when it comes to industries (think fossil fuels and PA).
Or they could run a pipeline

Advantage, Rust Belt

Reactions: step.eng69
This is what happens when you keep growing and building residential areas without factoring in they might need water. It's a literal going to the same well too many times.
+1000. They know this but yet there are new housing developments going up all over the Tucson and Phoenix areas.
I’m in Las Vegas now and I can’t imagine the amount of water that is being used.😱

California has all the water it could possibly need - it’s called the Pacific Ocean. Desalinization technology is well established. They just don’t like the cost.
I know San Diego has a couple of them but I’ve never heard how much they help.🤷‍♂️

California has all the water it could possibly need - it’s called the Pacific Ocean. Desalinization technology is well established. They just don’t like the cost.
Sooner or later, they will figure out the cost of building desalinization plants will be less than the cost of allowing the western and southwestern part of the USA to go dry.

Absolutely correct, it may take 100 years but I think many of these decaying cities will have a major resurgence in the future due to their water resources.

Or the environmental factor of what to do with the brine waste.

MIT already has that solved

Or they could run a pipeline
So we're not good with our carbon footprint but we want to pump insane amounts of water from certain areas of the country where the ecosystem for thousands of years has relied on that water to other areas where the ecosystem may be possibly turned upside down with it? Ahhh, the best laid plans of mice and men...

Last edited:
There are just too many people period. Another thing — The average almond takes 19 gallons of water to grow, but the industry is subsidized to help the “poor farmers”. Almonds are a huge California crop. They should cost 30 bucks a pound. The world is ****ed gentlemen. Human greed always wins out.

There are just too many people period. Another thing — The average almond takes 19 gallons of water to grow, but the industry is subsidized to help the “poor farmers”. Almonds are a huge California crop. They should cost 30 bucks a pound. The world is ****ed gentlemen. Human greed always wins out.
We need more almond milk now! That's what cows are for btw. What's next? Almond pretend meat? Almond deodorant?

Whoops - spoke to soon:

iu

MIT already has that solved

Awesome article! I wonder how possible it would be to use desalinization on the Pacific and transport it to the interior southwest that is so parched for water.

Reactions: TheGLOV

that is correct 100%. even some of the tech firms on the west coast are floating service locations in places like Iowa. the west coast along with Nevada and Arizona have grown and created an ecological problem. in pure economic sense it probably makes more sense for a biotech firm like Gilead to expand in Huntsville, Al than the Bay area. from the worker standpoint, also it makes almost no sense to live in a place like San Fran or SV or LA, etc. They are unaffordable for a young couple trying to get started, have a family and own their own home. life style for same couple in say Indianapolis would be entirely different. imagine the difference for a kid growing up in SF vs say Indy. soon the west coast firms are going to be non-competitive.

Almonds are indeed a water intensive crop. CF doubles down on the water problems with ag policies. Devin Nunes (I know he is somewhat polarizing but he has an ag background and degree) asserts that half or more of the water designated for ag is diverted into “green” boondoggle type projects. I don’t know if true but nothing in CF surprises me.

+1000. They know this but yet there are new housing developments going up all over the Tucson and Phoenix areas.
I’m in Las Vegas now and I can’t imagine the amount of water that is being used.😱
Vegas is pretty much a stupid situation, huge fountains in the desert at 15% humidity! 😱 It is like you’re trying to get rid of the water!

Almonds are indeed a water intensive crop. CF doubles down on the water problems with ag policies. Devin Nunes (I know he is somewhat polarizing but he has an ag background and degree) asserts that half or more of the water designated for ag is diverted into “green” boondoggle type projects. I don’t know if true but nothing in CF surprises me.
Many of the almond trees are being cut down.

original.jpg

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
Awesome article! I wonder how possible it would be to use desalinization on the Pacific and transport it to the interior southwest that is so parched for water.
So basically change the ecosystem. Maybe we just do what humans have done since before recorded history and populate areas near significant freshwater reserves? There are consequences to intentionally engineering major changes to ecosystems and being human, we certainly will not account for all of those unintended consequences.

So basically change the ecosystem. Maybe we just do what humans have done since before recorded history and populate areas near significant freshwater reserves? There are consequences to intentionally engineering major changes to ecosystems and being human, we certainly will not account for all of those unintended consequences.
We have and will continue to change the ecosystems of the planet. While pollution of the oceans and air are huge concerns, I am not sure engineering areas of the desert into an oasis is a bad thing if it can be done responsibly.

We have and will continue to change the ecosystems of the planet. While pollution of the oceans and air are huge concerns, I am not sure engineering areas of the desert into an oasis is a bad thing if it can be done responsibly.
What is responsible? Taking how many millions or billions of gallons per what period over how many miles in what, pipelines that are being rejected by the environmental Nazis already? And how many millions or billions of water lost from whatever freshwater source was targeted is acceptable?

How many specifies should be allowed to perish? Is that even something we can estimate? If certain species shall perish, will there be an unintended consequence due to the sudden imbalance in the ecosystem (a nuisance or potentially harmful species proliferating with the natural predation gone, etc.)? How many millions of acres of habitat changed is considered responsible?

Will the changes in either source, destination, or somewhere along the route cause secondary and tertiary effects? What happens to the weather patterns in other areas when significant portions of surface water or ground water are either removed from or unnaturally and suddenly created in either ecosystem?

Man has not done well in even introducing non-native species. Our history is wrought with introductions of non-native species then our attempt to combat the issue with another non-native species that causes bigger problems. We just don't know what we think we understand with dangerous oversimplifications of our environment. This isn't damming a nearby river that you've suggested. It is considerably more dramatic change.

I certainly don't have a problem with that. There are enou
I think they did that on Arrakis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT