ADVERTISEMENT

Does it seem odd that the judge announced he would issue the opinion

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
on Weds just AFTER Gameday said it was coming? Suppose the judge throws out the charges re the kid in the shower? Isn't that the linchpin of Penn State's connection to the case?

Suppose the judge sympathizes with PSU and wants to give PSU this win in front of the whole world?

Yeah, pipe dream, I know.:(

on Weds just AFTER Gameday said it was coming? Suppose the judge throws out the charges re the kid in the shower? Isn't that the linchpin of Penn State's connection to the case?

Suppose the judge sympathizes with PSU and wants to give PSU this win in front of the whole world?

I don't think it is that much of a pipe dream. Sandusky has a very strong PCRA petition. Professor Wes Oliver if Duquesne Law School calls it one of the strongest PCRAs that he had seen. The case is rife with totally ineffective defense counsel, serial acts of prosecutorial misconduct, and a judiciary with a clear prosecutorial bias. This case exemplifies why PCRA laws were written. It was a patently unfair trial.

59885980.jpg

I haven't followed the trial for even 1 minute so I can't speak to the merit of the case other than these things are almost never granted (correct?). Announcing 3 days early that a decision will be released at high noon on Wednesday speaks more to denial of the case IMO. No judge is going to blow up the JS trial now. If the judge was going to throw out this conviction (and deal with the fallout), he'd release it at 4:55 pm on Friday and get out of town for a few days.

Geez, Dem you've turned into a conspiracy theorist overnight ;). Ain't happening here in PA. Great thought, though.

I haven't followed the trial for even 1 minute so I can't speak to the merit of the case other than these things are almost never granted (correct?). Announcing 3 days early that a decision will be released at high noon on Wednesday speaks more to denial of the case IMO. No judge is going to blow up the JS trial now. If the judge was going to throw out this conviction (and deal with the fallout), he'd release it at 4:55 pm on Friday and get out of town for a few days.
Agree that a new trial on all issues ruling is basically not happening. However, the judge could strike the conviction(s) on the victim in the shower (whom the prosecutor said is known only to God, anyway), and set Jerry up for a new sentencing hearing which would change nothing EXCEPT that PSU connection.

Since it is okay for Herbstreit to be a homer, why not the judge?:D

That would be my dream also, and it would be the right thing to do. Anyone who read AM's testimony could see that he had taken us to the cleaners for almost as much money as Freeh did ($7 million)!!!

It could also be that the judge hasn't gotten his payoff yet, and he's warning whatever leftover Corbett henchmen that are still left that if he doesn't get AT LEAST as much as some X-Marine did to change his story, and some X-football coach did who was threatened with sex pics, he'll blow this whole unconstitutional, politically trumped up Sandusky fantasy right out of the water.

I find it a little unusual to announce it like this. Why not just release the denial then rather than give people time to prepare for it since I don't think most people would be too bothered by a denial. Judges don't normally operate in the Friday at 4:55 p.m. fashion. That's something businesses with bad news or corrupt prosecutors dismissing a case where they overcharged are more likely to do. Besides, the Sandusky indictment was leaked briefly on a Friday and published on a Saturday if I recall. I don't think anyone missed that news. I think Sandusky's guilty of something, but I think there were a number of irregularities with his trial involving the judge, prosecution, defense attorneys and witnesses. I would not be all that surprised if a new trial is granted.

Oh I do. If he gets it, the world was wrong. If he doesn't get a new trial, it was fixed.
Unfortunately your view is wayyyy too binary. A new trial on all issues is almost impossible to imagine. Striking the 'boy in the shower' charges leaves Jerry to rot in the same prison cell he is in, but defeats a big chunk of the narrative that was used to F PSU.

It might also cause some fiduciary discomfort on the part of some on the BOT, and their lawyers.

Unfortunately your view is wayyyy too binary. A new trial on all issues is almost impossible to imagine. Striking the 'boy in the shower' charges leaves Jerry to rot in the same prison cell he is in, but defeats a big chunk of the narrative that was used to F PSU.

It might also cause some fiduciary discomfort on the part of some on the BOT, and their lawyers.
It was more of a view of this site...not my individual view. ;)

Reactions: demlion
Oh I do. If he gets it, the world was wrong. If he doesn't get a new trial, it was fixed.

Is it not possible that
. 1st trial was a sham
. whole shower incident and reporting exaggerated for effect
and
.JS is still guilty and is where he belongs

Many of us feel that way but you seem to leave no room in your brain for 1 & 2?

I'm going full conspiracy...Game Day is coming to Happy Valley because of the announcement, otherwise they'd be in South Bend.

Funny you say that.

Yesterday, on XM, Rece Davis was on one of the shows. I think he was talking to Mark Packer. Mark has always been pretty positive about us and I have never heard him criticize Joe. I have talked to him a couple of times, and I think he thinks we got a raw deal.

Anyway, yesterday, Mark was talking VERY positively and going on and on with Rece about ESPN Gameday going to "Happy Valley", and what a great scene it will be! Was raving about the White Out and how it was one of the best scenes in all of College Football! May have even mentioned how great it would be to be in front of Old Main.

Every time Rece replied, he sounded like he was going to a funeral. I'm thinking to myself "What's up with Rece"? I was just thinking that he is afraid that they will get a lot of anti-ESPN signs and chants thrown their way. But now, your post has me all tin foil hat also. He sounded like he would rather be having a root canal without any novocain than go to Penn State. Maybe they ARE getting ready to do another hit job.

We are getting too close to getting in the Playoff, and like last year, they will find any excuse to keep us out. The LAST thing they want is "Ped State" crashing their January Party.

I like Dem's theory better!!! :)

Is it not possible that
. 1st trial was a sham
. whole shower incident and reporting exaggerated for effect
and
.JS is still guilty and is where he belongs

Many of us feel that way but you seem to leave no room in your brain for 1 & 2?
It's also possible that some hated the witch hunt and media backlash that they need the first trial to be a "sham" because the BoT allowed and made it about PSU instead of Jerry? Many feel Jerry is where he belongs and aren't crying foul for him. It doesn't make them out to get PSU or hate PSU or whatever the hell else gets floated around here. There was a ton of collateral damage and it did suck...but was it really the mistrial of the century?

Reactions: Bob78
I don't think it is that much of a pipe dream. Sandusky has a very strong PCRA petition. Professor Wes Oliver if Duquesne Law School calls it one of the strongest PCRAs that he had seen. The case is rife with totally ineffective defense counsel, serial acts of prosecutorial misconduct, and a judiciary with a clear prosecutorial bias. This case exemplifies why PCRA laws were written. It was a patently unfair trial.

It's also possible that some hated the witch hunt and media backlash that they need the first trial to be a "sham" because the BoT allowed and made it about PSU instead of Jerry? Many feel Jerry is where he belongs and aren't crying foul for him. It doesn't make them out to get PSU or hate PSU or whatever the hell else gets floated around here. There was a ton of collateral damage and it did suck...but was it really the mistrial of the century?

Remind us why you are here again.
Did you go to college?
Did you attend PSU?
Do you hold a degree from PSU?
If not, why are you here?
Are you a wannabe rooter of our school's football team?
Are you just trolling?
Why do you care about the JS scandal so much?
PSU is not your school!!!!!!

I find it a little unusual to announce it like this. Why not just release the denial then rather than give people time to prepare for it since I don't think most people would be too bothered by a denial. Judges don't normally operate in the Friday at 4:55 p.m. fashion. That's something businesses with bad news or corrupt prosecutors dismissing a case where they overcharged are more likely to do. Besides, the Sandusky indictment was leaked briefly on a Friday and published on a Saturday if I recall. I don't think anyone missed that news. I think Sandusky's guilty of something, but I think there were a number of irregularities with his trial involving the judge, prosecution, defense attorneys and witnesses. I would not be all that surprised if a new trial is granted.

I was being TIC with the Friday 4:55 part (well, sort of ). You can't get more high profile than to announce something at high noon on a Wednesday...... and give everyone 2-3 days notice it's coming.

I miss what others are seeing here. I don't see any judge doing anything other than to deny the appeal.

I just hope he gets a new trial and one that is fair and balanced (ha!) just so we can all get that discussion point over with.
If on the merits of a sound legal argument JS gets a new trial, that is justice and a victory for all citizens. It is a matter of fairness and principle. I say that believing he's guilty.

Beyond that:

There is much to discuss and rehash and discuss and rehash and discuss and rehash and rehash and discus and rehash and discuss and rehash and discuss ...

crm-2011-plugins-avoiding-infinite-loops-(1).png

Funny you say that.

Yesterday, on XM, Rece Davis was on one of the shows. I think he was talking to Mark Packer. Mark has always been pretty positive about us and I have never heard him criticize Joe. I have talked to him a couple of times, and I think he thinks we got a raw deal.

Anyway, yesterday, Mark was talking VERY positively and going on and on with Rece about ESPN Gameday going to "Happy Valley", and what a great scene it will be! Was raving about the White Out and how it was one of the best scenes in all of College Football! May have even mentioned how great it would be to be in front of Old Main.

Every time Rece replied, he sounded like he was going to a funeral. I'm thinking to myself "What's up with Rece"? I was just thinking that he is afraid that they will get a lot of anti-ESPN signs and chants thrown their way. But now, your post has me all tin foil hat also. He sounded like he would rather be having a root canal without any novocain than go to Penn State. Maybe they ARE getting ready to do another hit job.

We are getting too close to getting in the Playoff, and like last year, they will find any excuse to keep us out. The LAST thing they want is "Ped State" crashing their January Party.

I like Dem's theory better!!! :)

I missed that interview but it doesn't surprise me. Rece generally can't mention Penn State without somehow bringing Sandusky into the equation. You will see it again Saturday when they run the inevitable segment on Sandusky and then cut back to Rece with his stern face and lecturing tone as he rehashes events and talks about how Franklin and this team 'are just trying to get by that' (despite no one on the team having any ties to JS at all). I can just imagine what this board will look like Saturday morning once espn gets going. ;)

Reactions: JJTopp99
BUFFALO, ESPN security will filter out anything antagonistic

Penn State Football: What To Know About Attending College GameDay On Saturday

LINK: http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-football-what-to-know-about-attending-college-gameday-on-saturday,1474138/

As you may have heard, College GameDay is broadcasting live from State College this weekend outside of Old Main.

And if you haven't heard, well, spoilers.

Additionally, College Football Live will originate from the set around 3 p.m. Friday. There will also be several SportsCenter segments from the set Friday afternoon and early Saturday morning.

In either case there are plenty of details to know prior to show if you want your face on national TV.

Regulations for Fans Interested in Standing in the GameDay “Pit”

The following regulations will be in place, per ESPN and Penn State, for fans who are interested in standing in the “pit” near the College GameDay stage (show is free of charge):

• Fans may begin lining up for access to the pit Saturday at 4 a.m. ET, with the pit being open at approximately 6:30 a.m. (no overnight camping)
  • Fans entering the pit will be screened by security using metal detection wands
  • No bags, backpacks or purses are permitted
  • No offensive, vulgar, inappropriate or solicitation signage will be allowed (i.e., no political, religious, or .com, .org, .net signage)
  • No signs or flags on a stick
  • No pens, pencils, markers or dry erase boards
  • No food or drinks
  • Throwing of objects is prohibited

Remind us why you are here again.
Did you go to college?
Did you attend PSU?
Do you hold a degree from PSU?
If not, why are you here?
Are you a wannabe rooter of our school's football team?
Are you just trolling?
Why do you care about the JS scandal so much?
PSU is not your school!!!!!!

Ohhhh no pnny resorting to the grade school stuff. Oh no, now I'm not a fan or allowed to be one. Ohhhhh, you poor dear...so upset by such a tame post answering a question someone posed to me. I guess now I cannot root for PSU...oh darn.

Do you logout to like your own posts or just keep multiple browsers open for each of your personalities? I heard they just posted something mean on Penn Live...you better go get them. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69

Hey dem, have they legalized MJ in WV? :confused:

You can link every press release/announcement to how favorable/unfavorable it is to PSU/JVP. Anything coming out Mon-Wed is definitely not good. If it has a hint of being favorable it is announced Friday at 4:55 pm. The fact that this is a Wednesday at noon announced three days in advance and right before Game Day is in State College tells me I already know the answer.

I also crack up at the binary nature of some people with regards to JS. Did he have a fair trial with good representation ... no. Is he guilty of some of the 48 charges ... yes. Is he guilty of 45 of the charges ... this is the most debatable question. Based on everything I have read and heard and seen post trial, I would put it in the 10-20 range. But what do I know ... I'm just a pedophile-enabling JOEBOT!

Hey dem, have they legalized MJ in WV? :confused:

You can link every press release/announcement to how favorable/unfavorable it is to PSU/JVP. Anything coming out Mon-Wed is definitely not good. If it has a hint of being favorable it is announced Friday at 4:55 pm. The fact that this is a Wednesday at noon announced three days in advance and right before Game Day is in State College tells me I already know the answer.

I also crack up at the binary nature of some people with regards to JS. Did he have a fair trial with good representation ... no. Is he guilty of some of the 48 charges ... yes. Is he guilty of 45 of the charges ... this is the most debatable question. Based on everything I have read and heard and seen post trial, I would put it in the 10-20 range. But what do I know ... I'm just a pedophile-enabling JOEBOT!
They passed a medical MJ bill. But it turns everything over to big pharma. Slow learners.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT