ADVERTISEMENT

Does Georgia still get in?

Oklahoma could score against anyone in the country. Saying they “would have no chance against Georgia” is ridiculous. If a two loss SEC team makes it simply because they are the only team in the conference who can give Bama a game says more about the conference than anything to me. The conference is Bama, Georgia and a whole lot of meh.

If Georgia gets in that will really increase the pressure to go to eight teams. A two loss team that didn’t win its conference over two teams with one loss that did will cause a lot of outrage

If the purpose is to create a final 4 of truly the best 4 teams, Georgia should be in that 4.

Reactions: psuro
All this opinionated b.s. is totally bogus. Only in college Football at D1 level do you get such nonsense. Conference winners go to playoffs, end of story. If I wanted a beauty contest I’d watch Miss World. Eye test, strength of schedule, etc is all b.s. beat who you play and win your conference. If you want a true playoff then have all 10 Division 1 conferences (plus Independents) be in a playoff. Everyone understands this but won’t ever happen because too much $$$ involved in keeping it the same.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...16758404/espn-bowls-college-football-playoffs

A couple of things as I am already on my fourth cup of coffee this morning...

1. Put Georgia on the field against OSU or Oklahoma and Georgia will come out on top. Outside of Alabama, they are probably the most complete college football team of the three potentials for the final spot. They play is a very tough conference. Of the conference opponents, only one (Tennessee) had a losing record. Of the four non conference games, only one (Austin Peay) had a losing record.

OU only has to play one decent team all year, and they played them twice and beat them when they had to. Yeah, they played West Virginia but WVU's success is in large part to the same reason OU is successful - they play in a watered down conference. The Big 12 has 10 teams, of which, other than WVU and Texas, only Iowa State had a winning record. Look at OU's 3 non conference games, and two of them had losing records. OU's toughest game may have actually been the Army game, and frankly, I think they were lucky to win that.

Ohio State's conference slate including four wins over teams with losing records - and in two of them, they struggled to win and were frankly very lucky that the Maryland QB screwed up that last pass, or else they would have lost that game. Of their non conference games, one had a losing record and the other two were .500.

Before anyone brings this up, let me be the first to say - I understand that when schedules are made, there is no way to know how a team will fare - I doubt OU knew that UCLA would be going through an upheaval in 2018, just as I am sure they had no way of knowing Army football would be going through a resurgence as it has the last couple of years. Same thing with OSU and TCU or UGA and their long time rival, Ga Tech.

If the committee is required to pick the best teams to enter the CFP, then I would be hard pressed to think UGA is not one of those teams. Just my opinion, but I believe UGA would win over OSU and/or OU. For fans to postulate that the committee is focusing on one play or one decision to make or break their decision is myopic. Committees just don't work like that, whether you like that committee or not.

2. The macro on this is that this whole process- regarding NY6 and CFP is flawed. I use the phrase "layer cake of stupidity" and I will stick with that analogy. As sports fans we are conditioned to believe that winning a conference or division is reason enough for a team to continue to move towards a championship. Part of the problem with that is that not all conferences or divisions are equal. Parity exists in most of the professional sports leagues due a system where the worst teams get a chance to improve by obtaining the best players. Then there are issues free agency, etc. but to the best of my knowledge, there is still some sort of equitable distribution, for the most part, across professional sports.

College sports are not like that, because unlike pro sports - the players pick the teams, not the teams pick the players. So, automatically there is a skill gap, even within the top levels of football. The reasons that go into that skill gap are varied, but it exists nonetheless. The SEC is always going to have better players than the AAC, and the Big Ten will always have better players than the MAC. Occasionaly, good individuals will attend AAC or MAC schools, but in general, there is a reason why the better players pick the top 5 conference affiliated teams.

So, there exists a built in hierarchy and lack of equitable balance already amongst all the teams. So, one team winning it's conference may not have the same standing or viability as another team winning it's conference.

The poll system is antiquated, unless it is based on a standard or algorithm to select top teams set on a specific criteria. Let me qualify that - the poll system based on human involvement is antiquated.

The bowl system is another layer in this cake of stupidity. Local political animals want fans to come and spend money in their towns and effectively lock out certain teams because of conference affiliation.

Only at this level of football does this happen. It might be the only level of sports where this happens. It's ludicrous.

Reactions: PSU Dave
A couple of things as I am already on my fourth cup of coffee this morning...

1. Put Georgia on the field against OSU or Oklahoma and Georgia will come out on top. Outside of Alabama, they are probably the most complete college football team of the three potentials for the final spot. They play is a very tough conference. Of the conference opponents, only one (Tennessee) had a losing record. Of the four non conference games, only one (Austin Peay) had a losing record.

OU only has to play one decent team all year, and they played them twice and beat them when they had to. Yeah, they played West Virginia but WVU's success is in large part to the same reason OU is successful - they play in a watered down conference. The Big 12 has 10 teams, of which, other than WVU and Texas, only Iowa State had a winning record. Look at OU's 3 non conference games, and two of them had losing records. OU's toughest game may have actually been the Army game, and frankly, I think they were lucky to win that.

Ohio State's conference slate including four wins over teams with losing records - and in two of them, they struggled to win and were frankly very lucky that the Maryland QB screwed up that last pass, or else they would have lost that game. Of their non conference games, one had a losing record and the other two were .500.

Before anyone brings this up, let me be the first to say - I understand that when schedules are made, there is no way to know how a team will fare - I doubt OU knew that UCLA would be going through an upheaval in 2018, just as I am sure they had no way of knowing Army football would be going through a resurgence as it has the last couple of years. Same thing with OSU and TCU or UGA and their long time rival, Ga Tech.

If the committee is required to pick the best teams to enter the CFP, then I would be hard pressed to think UGA is not one of those teams. Just my opinion, but I believe UGA would win over OSU and/or OU. For fans to postulate that the committee is focusing on one play or one decision to make or break their decision is myopic. Committees just don't work like that, whether you like that committee or not.

2. The macro on this is that this whole process- regarding NY6 and CFP is flawed. I use the phrase "layer cake of stupidity" and I will stick with that analogy. As sports fans we are conditioned to believe that winning a conference or division is reason enough for a team to continue to move towards a championship. Part of the problem with that is that not all conferences or divisions are equal. Parity exists in most of the professional sports leagues due a system where the worst teams get a chance to improve by obtaining the best players. Then there are issues free agency, etc. but to the best of my knowledge, there is still some sort of equitable distribution, for the most part, across professional sports.

College sports are not like that, because unlike pro sports - the players pick the teams, not the teams pick the players. So, automatically there is a skill gap, even within the top levels of football. The reasons that go into that skill gap are varied, but it exists nonetheless. The SEC is always going to have better players than the AAC, and the Big Ten will always have better players than the MAC. Occasionaly, good individuals will attend AAC or MAC schools, but in general, there is a reason why the better players pick the top 5 conference affiliated teams.

So, there exists a built in hierarchy and lack of equitable balance already amongst all the teams. So, one team winning it's conference may not have the same standing or viability as another team winning it's conference.

The poll system is antiquated, unless it is based on a standard or algorithm to select top teams set on a specific criteria. Let me qualify that - the poll system based on human involvement is antiquated.

The bowl system is another layer in this cake of stupidity. Local political animals want fans to come and spend money in their towns and effectively lock out certain teams because of conference affiliation.

Only at this level of football does this happen. It might be the only level of sports where this happens. It's ludicrous.

I too think Georgia is better than OK and OSU and avoids the banter of taking one of the latter.

No Kirby not so Smart blew it
Fake punt, 4th and 11! from their own 38. Put a FR QB (our old 5 star who looked like a Deer) in an impossible situation). Smart must of thought he was playing Indiana. Sorry, JF flashback moment. Oh, that didn't work out too well either. However, Smart epically outsmarted himself. Wait, the third to last Geo. play where Fromm threw to the one-yard line, Bama DB contact was way early, held his arm down and the WR still almost caught the ball. No official even thought of reaching for a flag. Shameful. I thought Bama was playing Michigan for a moment.

Sorry, I think OSU smokes some of these teams with their offense. Passing game and their running game would create great problems for other teams. OSU has superior offensive talent.

Reactions: Osprey Lion
Sorry, I think OSU smokes some of these teams with their offense. Passing game and their running game would create great problems for other teams. OSU has superior offensive talent.

Beats? Maybe
Smokes? Put down the crack pipe.

Herbies's argument is that the team that wins a beauty contest on the first Saturday in December should prevail over the results on the field and an entire body of work over the regular season. Georgia had their play-in game and they lost. Give that same opportunity to some other team rather than giving the Bulldogs a mulligan.

Reactions: Osprey Lion
I sure hope not. It would be awful if they got in and somehow managed to beat an undefeated Alabama for the title after losing to them in a championship game and holding 2 losses. I don’t dispute they are a better team than OU or Ohio State. But losses have to matter...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT