ADVERTISEMENT

Do you roll with Mcsorley or Stevens

That's a good question. I'm guessing it boils down to the health of McSorley. With that said, Franklin made a huge error in switching back and forth between the QB yesterday. A coach needs to be decisive and he wasn't. That's a bad sign and I'm a Franklin supporter. Recruiting is built on winning. Going 0-3 this year against our east rivals when two of the games were at home is unacceptable if we want to be a really good team (forget great and forget elite). Alabama is elite. No one else makes the elite list at least this year.

You mean since OSU. The coaching staff failed to put that game behind them and to keep playing winning football.

He played ok vs OSU. Vs MSU he was weak and got weaker each week.

Some is receivers but his timing is off. Again could be receivers.

He had some very uninspired runs yesterday.

His plays vs Indiana to put them back in the drivers seat were terrible.

Ldn

Stevens.

Trace seems to want to find the ground whenever anyone makes any contact with him. Maybe that is injury or something else but guys brush up against him and he goes down.

It’s hard not to love the guy but it’s time to give both QB’s behind him some looks to start the transition forward.

Will it happen? Not a chance.

Reactions: bytir and N&B4PSU
I think regardless of Trace’s health, Stevens should get some meaningful playing time. Tommy needs to play when the game matters and not be in a position where he feels he has to press to make plays because he doesn’t have much time, or the game is at place where he has to push the issue. There is no way trace will be healthy this coming week against Wisconsin. This would be a good test for Tommy at home. See what he can do, there is nothing left to do but get better and prepare for 2019. Let Trace get healthy so he can have a healthy, great farewell senior game at Beaver Stadium.

You also have to make sure some of these redshirting players get some action in whatever bowl game we play in. That month of practice and the experience is a big deal heading into the offseason....thinking Kunitz, George, Shorter, Owen, Tarburton, etc....the more they play down the stretch while still holding onto their redshirt the better.

Reactions: Bob78 and N&B4PSU
Stevens or Clifford. This season is lost. What else is there to lose? What would Saban do? This is what we should be asking ourselves in such matters. He gets results.

Reactions: LafayetteBear
Stevens or Clifford. This season is lost. What else is there to lose? What would Saban do? This is what we should be asking ourselves in such matters. He gets results.
Not even at that point yet, Trace is clearly hurt so you can make the change for a game or two and let him get healthy again for Senior day or Rutgers and Senior Day without much controversy imo if handled correctly.

I agree on Clifford too but I hope everyone realizes now that he has no shot at being the QB in 2019 unless Tommy gets hurt. Franklin probably promised him the moon to keep him here and we have seen how Franklin is playing these veteran guys regardless of production. We better hope Tommy plays well next year because it will take a couple bad performances and losses before we see a change.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I agree on Clifford too but I hope everyone realizes now that he has no shot at being the QB in 2019 unless Tommy gets hurt. Franklin probably promised him the moon to keep him here and we have seen how Franklin is playing these veteran guys regardless of production. We better hope Tommy plays well next year because it will take a couple bad performances and losses before we see a change.

IMO he has a great shot, I think he is the better QB then Stevens.

Reactions: RU31trap
You folks can wish all you want, but Trace will be in the shotgun on Saturday.

Trace.. If he is not healthy then Clifford..

Stevens is not a QB, He is an athlete, but not a QB. Give me someone with the arm like Clifford.

Nuts.

Tommy is a better fit in an offense that depends on running the QB. And he can throw just fine. He makes one bad read / flip toss coming in cold and trying to force things and some want to write him off. That second, similar throw to Dotson -- a lot of good QBs can't even make that throw.

Clifford might be a better fit in a pure pro system, but that's not what Franklin wants to run. Frankly, given the next 3 in line for QB, I would go to a pro system, but we know that won't happen until Franklin is gone. He has his mind made up. QB's need to be able to rush. For whatever reason, he cannot see or cannot except the pitfalls of doing so.

I expect Clifford to get beat up, if nothing changes.

Last edited:
And I'll repeat a post I made last year while Trace was having all of the success. Tommy will be drafted higher than Trace. At this point, it might even be a lot higher.

Based on what?

Agree Knight , based on what? I am not saying Clifford wont be better, I am saying it won’t matter if he is. Franklin promised Tommy the moon to stay, Tommy will QB in 2019 regardless of any offseason “QB Competition”. It will take huge failure and multiple loses and another ruined season for him to make the change.

I know that, preseason, there were a lot of guys on this board that thought Trace would not only get drafted, but would go to New York for the Heisman Show. Comparisons to Baker Mayfield were made. Some probably still see it that way.

Trace's accuracy has always had warts. He was fortunate to have great receivers that masked this flaw in his game throughout his career until this year. Yes there have been too many drops this season but many of his passes are not well thrown balls. The fact that he is a natural leader, mastered the offensive scheme, and is tough as nails has enabled him to have the success he's achieved. He was what the program needed at the right time. I'll rely on the coaches to determine if TM is the best option at QB for the balance of the season. They get to see these QBs perform everyday at practice. We don't. The calls for Stevens or Clifford to replace Trace is moronic without the benefit of seeing these guys practice. I get everyone's frustration with yesterday's loss. But this season was never looking like a championship season. Way too many shoes to fill from last year's team.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Trace. We weren't beating Michigan yesterday no matter who the quarterback was. Kerry Collins could have been the QB and we weren't beating Michigan.

We should have lost to App State. But Trace played well enough to beat both Ohio State and Michigan St. Those loses were not on him. How quickly we turn on the starting QB and want the backup. Reminds me of the Matt Kizner days.

If Trace's health has not improved to the point he can run the full offense then you go with Stevens.

Just like Franklin said (and didn't walk the walk) if Trace is a pro-style QB back there, then he's of no use back there.

I think Stevens...need someone fully healthy

i think it is that simple. Trace is not close to 100% and looking at how he moves, this is not going to magically heal in a week. Tommy healthy is a better option.

interesting in JF's presser he said he should have made the change sooner, meaning he could see Trace was far from normal. Had Tommy played the entire game, UM would have won, but it would have been a much closer game.

Alot of posters seem to take playing Stevens as an affront to McSorley. It isn't. Nothing will lessen McSorley's accomplishments or contributions, but if he's not 100% or damn close to it, Franklin should play next man up. I'd rather see McSorley come back and shine, fully recovered, in a bowl game than struggle through the remaining games

Reactions: Bob78 and N&B4PSU
Stevens. Let Trace heal. I think that not only did the knee injury hinder his ability to run but it also may have hindered his ability to throw.

and it allowed Brown to run a UM defense that could largely ignore the QB run, which this year has been a big part of our offense.

Ageeed. If you have a running QB and that QB can’t run, and you have a talented backup that’s been in the program for several years... . It was a bad decision to play Trace. Even so, if Franklin felt like he owed it to Trace give him a shot he should have made a change at the half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT