ADVERTISEMENT

Do you guys know this guy? Hint think WWE

I found the banner behind him very curious. I've never known of a Mayoral office to be a partisan office.

I found the banner behind him very curious. I've never known of a Mayoral office to be a partisan office.
I really hope that sentence wasn't serious.

Jacobs' jurisdiction includes all the suburbs of Knoxville. And his election was concurrent sith TN primaries for Governor and Senate. Whether or not he is partisan, his victory party was absolutely gonna be part of a bigger event.

I really hope that sentence wasn't serious.

Jacobs' jurisdiction includes all the suburbs of Knoxville. And his election was concurrent sith TN primaries for Governor and Senate. Whether or not he is partisan, his victory party was absolutely gonna be part of a bigger event.
Yes, the sentence was dead serious, unless you know something otherwise (which is why I was asking the question). Do you know of Mayoral elections and posts that are partisan seats, in that the person runs under a party?

I only know of them as non-partisan offices, but I'm asking because maybe some are partisan in some areas. I simply don't know and haven't heard of it.

Here's a definition of what I'm asking, if that helps. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=29A.04.110

Last edited:
Do you know of Mayoral elections and posts that are partisan seats, in that the person runs under a party?
Pretty sure most of them. Washington State is an outlier in that respect. E.g.,
screenshot-www.nytimes.com-2018.08.07-15-29-39.png

Pretty sure most of them. Washington State is an outlier in that respect. E.g.,
screenshot-www.nytimes.com-2018.08.07-15-29-39.png
Thanks, that's exactly what I was asking, and I did forget about NYC; that's the only one that I know of then.

Actually, Washington isn't an outlier that way if you look at how they define it. That just happened to be the first example that came up in looking for a definition of a partisan office.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was asking, and I did forget about NYC; that's the only one that I know of then.

Actually, Washington isn't an outlier that way if you look at how they define it. That just happened to be the first example that came up in looking for a definition of a partisan office.
screenshot-en.wikipedia.org-2018.08.07-15-45-42.png

screenshot-en.wikipedia.org-2018.08.07-15-45-42.png

But I'm wrong inasmuch as Washington isn't an outlier, I can easily find plenty of examples of races where no party designation is listed. In some the party designation is listed but both candidates list themselves as "non-partisan," which is kind of the same thing.

Thanks again. I always like learning, and I learned some thing new today.

Going back to my original (misunderstood) question, I then have to assume that the city where this WWE star comes from must be a partisan office.

In all the places I've lived or visited during election cycles, mayoral candidates not listed under a party was because the place is so small so why bother, or because one candidate was endorsed by both parties.

In Jacobs' case, his jurisdiction isn't a city -- it's actually the entire county except the main city. Why that office is called Mayor is beyond me but I don't live there so it doesn't matter to me.

BTW, Baltimore has a similar municipality structure -- Baltimore County comprises the inner ring suburbs but not Baltimore City. No idea what the County office titles are.

In MD the structure of County governments and their highest office can vary among code home rule, charter, and commissioner forms.

https://www.mdcounties.org/152/County-Government-Structure

"Nine of the eleven charter counties have an elected executive and elected county council. Baltimore City, considered a county for most purposes under state laws, has a mayor and council. The remaining two counties have an elected council that retains both executive and legislative power."

Most bigger cities are partisan, and most Democrat, think Chicago, LA, San Francisco, all democratic held forever.

Most bigger cities are partisan, and most Democrat, think Chicago, LA, San Francisco, all democratic held forever.
Chicago hasn't had a Republican mayor in forever, but mayoral candidates haven't run under a party designation since 1999. (Which I learned today when discussing the above.)

but mayoral candidates haven't run under a party designation
Hence, the only point that I've been making: non-partisan, which I incorrectly assumed occurred nationally.

Edit: So, is the office in question non-partisan?

Last edited:
Chicago hasn't had a Republican mayor in forever, but mayoral candidates haven't run under a party designation since 1999. (Which I learned today when discussing the above.)
Is deceased a party?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT