ADVERTISEMENT

Do I sense something happening here?

Our passing game consists of either throwing it to the TE or throwing a jump ball down the sidelines. We really don't have a cohesive passing game, which is IMO the reason why his completion percentage isn't great.

Huh? We have the 4th best Passing Offense in the conference by ypg and 3rd best by "Pass Efficiency Rating".

I usually don't explain the smartass comments I make here, but since you took offense I feel I should. For the record, I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said; you just happened to have posted shortly after psuro, and to have the ideal "set up" handle!

N&B4PSU started a thread which included the words "something happening here." Then psuro responded with the lines I quoted. Those lines are from a song called "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield, hence my post invoking your handle. Hope that clears it up.

Incidentally, if you noticed some other posts that didn't seem to make sense, they are also lines from that song:

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware
I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind
I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side
It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away
We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, now, what's that sound
Stop, children, what's that sound
:cool::cool::) another golden oldie from the Nam period. Smoke, bottle & Springfield

Reactions: hagberg
Stephen Stills visited PSU in, i think, 1981 on some politically-oriented tour. I went to see him in Eisenhower. He sang this song.

Last edited:
:cool::cool::) another golden oldie from the Nam period. Smoke, bottle & Springfield
I thought of the song when I saw the subject line so I'm not surprised others did. Stephen Stills wrote that song after leaving a demonstration in LA that the police got involved in. If I recall, he and his buddies didn't enter the fray but rather turned around and split. That's my memory so it's likely half wrong but has th essentials. LA, riot, police, song based on that experience.

I saw Stills at the Spectrum after his 'Love the One You're With' song came out. Couldn't have been anything special because the only thing I remember is that I went. And, no, no impairment that diluted my memory. I bet he sang that song though.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
And you need to check your stats. According to the big 10 website, we have the 8th best passing offense and our completion percentage is next to last. Our completion percentage is 48.5 percent. Only Rutgers is worse.

http://www.bigten.org/library/stats/fb-confonly.html

Wrong slappy, here is the correct link. You showed the conference-only stats...IOW, PSU's last 5 games when PSU really didn't pass very much in winning 4 of their 5 conference games - PSU only has 136 attempts in those 5 conference games (i.e., 25 passing attempts per game). Even in the incorrect link you provided, PSU's Pass Offense is ranked 3rd in "Pass Offense Efficiency" (i.e., production adjusted for attempts per game). Here is the correct link that captures the season statistics for all b1g teams (i.e., 8 games) - PSU is 4th in avg. Passing YPG and 3rd in "Pass Offense Efficiency":

Additionally, even in your "conference-only stats" where PSU did more running than passing, TM produced 8 TDs versus only 1 INT, which is why the efficiency rating is high. PSU's TD Pass per every 17 passing attempts in In-Conference games is also very good.

Last edited:
In terms of caliber of talent, I think comparing this group to 93 and having the same feeling that you did going into 94 is a bit unfair to the current roster. As I was reading thru the thread, it made me think of a different year -- 2001. That team started terribly at 0-4 and were very unsettled at QB. Then they won 5 out of 6 with Mills under center and were a ref's screw job away from possibly beating Virginia and going to a bowl game. That team had a young Bryant Johnson and Tony Johnson as receivers and LJ was still trying to break thru the roster grind with McCoo at the RB slot. The line had guys like Iorio, Lenda, Felder, and McKelvy who gelled and opened the way for LJ's magical 2000-yard season in 2002. Of course, we know how things went in the two years AFTER that but in terms of momentum, it feels like this current team is improving at the pace that the 2001 team did as they went thru that season.

I usually don't explain the smartass comments I make here, but since you took offense I feel I should. For the record, I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said; you just happened to have posted shortly after psuro, and to have the ideal "set up" handle!

N&B4PSU started a thread which included the words "something happening here." Then psuro responded with the lines I quoted. Those lines are from a song called "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield, hence my post invoking your handle. Hope that clears it up.

Incidentally, if you noticed some other posts that didn't seem to make sense, they are also lines from that song:

There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware
I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind
I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side
It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away
We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, now, what's that sound
Stop, children, what's that sound

No problem. My bad. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5JCrSXkJY

Wrong slappy, here is the correct link. You showed the conference-only stats...IOW, PSU's last 5 games when PSU really didn't pass very much in winning 4 of their 5 conference games - PSU only has 136 attempts in those 5 conference games (i.e., 25 passing attempts per game). Even in the incorrect link you provided, PSU's Pass Offense is ranked 3rd in "Pass Offense Efficiency" (i.e., production adjusted for attempts per game). Here is the correct link that captures the season statistics for all b1g teams (i.e., 8 games) - PSU is 4th in avg. Passing YPG and 3rd in "Pass Offense Efficiency":

Additionally, even in your "conference-only stats" where PSU did more running than passing, TM produced 8 TDs versus only 1 INT, which is why the efficiency rating is high. PSU's TD Pass per every 17 passing attempts in In-Conference games is also very good.
Slappy? Really? How old are you? If you want to include stats from crap games where stats can be inflated so it fits your agenda, fine. I can read through that pretty easy. But if you are going to compare them to the other big 10 teams, compare them in big 10 games. That levels things out.

But I don't talk with 13 year olds who resort to name calling because they can't debate on facts.

Slappy? Really? How old are you? If you want to include stats from crap games where stats can be inflated so it fits your agenda, fine. I can read through that pretty easy. But if you are going to compare them to the other big 10 teams, compare them in big 10 games. That levels things out.

But I don't talk with 13 year olds who resort to name calling because they can't debate on facts.

At least YOU'RE. OUTRAGED. :eek: , so it isn't all bad.

Reactions: step.eng69
At least YOU'RE. OUTRAGED. :eek: , so it isn't all bad.
Shit-Disturber.png

PSU is ranked #3 in "Passing Offense Efficiency" even within the Conference-Only stats you provided.....reading is fundamental....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT