ADVERTISEMENT

"Disney Could Sell ESPN, Due To Massive Subscriber Loss"

T J

May 29, 2001
Tara Lachapelle
Dec 5, 2016 2:16 PM EST
Disney without ESPN? An idea some thought improbable, if not crazy, is now catching on.

Walt Disney Co. has lost some of its sparkle this year. The shares are headed for their worst annual performance since the U.S. recession in 2008, snapping a four-year rally in which the price had nearly tripled.

Back in May, I wrote that a breakup of Disney may be his answer.

Separating ESPN (or the media networks division altogether) could not only help lift the company's sagging valuation, but also make it a little easier to find a successor. Recall that Tom Staggs, the Magic Kingdom's heir apparent, abruptly stepped down as chief operating officer earlier this year. And former CFO Jay Rasulo, the other possible pick, quit in 2015.

Since then, ESPN has continued to weigh on Disney's results as the NFL struggles to keep viewers. A Nielsen report showed that ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPNU lost more than 600,000 subscribers from October to November. ESPN's NFL ratings have suffered a 17 percent decline this season, according to Nielsen data as of last week.

Separately, Disney's ABC network is faring the worst among the top broadcasters, with ratings down 11 percent for the season as of Nov. 9 versus a year ago.

Last month, billionaire John Malone -- the dealmaker of all media dealmakers -- speculated that Disney may spin off or sell ESPN, along with maybe ABC. He then went so far as to say Apple Inc. may be interested in merging with Disney after the split. The Edge, which analyzes spinoffs, has written about a Disney breakup, too, noting that the media networks and the rest of Disney "lack sufficient synergies and have vastly different outlooks and business model challenges."

Now, RBC Capital Markets analyst Steven Cahall is jumping on the bandwagon. In a report Monday, Cahall wrote that ESPN "has almost single-handedly de-rated Disney by about 3.5 to 4 turns" of its Ebitda multiple. After the stock got a small pop Monday, Disney was valued at 10.7 times the Ebitda it generated in the past 12 months. That's down from a multiple of nearly 14 about a year ago, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2016-12-05/disney-can-remove-espn-discount-with-breakup

If Tim Cook tries to buy ESPN and/or ABC, Jobs will come back from the dead to stop him.

Reactions: Meteor-Lion
If Disney is going to sell ESPN, they probably spin off everything besides their own Disney channel and then look to take that Disney only channel to Internet. Disney channel is for kids anyway and most kids watch it online. Plus Disney channel is so linked to their own brand.

The question is who would buy it? Would not be surprised to see ESPN do a real dump of high priced commentators to significantly lower their operating costs to generate some quick cash and make the books looks a lot better.

If Disney is going to sell ESPN, they probably spin off everything besides their own Disney channel and then look to take that Disney only channel to Internet. Disney channel is for kids anyway and most kids watch it online. Plus Disney channel is so linked to their own brand.

The question is who would buy it? Would not be surprised to see ESPN do a real dump of high priced commentators to significantly lower their operating costs to generate some quick cash and make the books looks a lot better.

Well, IF the guys they have now are high priced Disney needs, to can them all. Just because they are NOT worth listening too. I do NOT watch ESPN other than for actual games. It would be better for Disney if they used ACTUAL Disney characters to run the shows, then it would be fun :)
The bigger issue the amount of money cable networks are paying for broadcast rights for games. It is WAY out of control and will be crashing down in the near future.

Reactions: JJTopp99

Staffing costs are one part of ESPN's problem, but it's the rights fees that are killing them. They always figure that they can raise future carriage and advertising revenue, but that's not the case when people aren't tuning in..

Reactions: JJTopp99

I dunno. Marvel and Lucasfilm seem to be working out just fine for Disney.

A very real question is 'why would somebody else want to buy a turd?'. You can't cost cut your way to success when the rights contracts are the problem, and advertising revenue is down. Should be interesting to watch ... with some satisfaction on my part.

They're screwed. It's a new world. Disney would be wise to cut ESPN loose before it really starts hemorrhaging money. They're going down. They had a nice run, but it's inevitable.

Disney has made some amazing acquisitions under Igre (Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm). Hopefully he's also smart enough to drop ESPN from the conglomerate. I don't say that out of hate for ESPN, just out of business sense. Stop letting ESPN drag you down, it isn't going to get better. I think they should keep ABC though, there's plenty of good synergy there for their products (Once Upon a Time, Agents of SHIELD, future Star Wars television program, etc).

I'd hate to see them sell off too much though. Part of the point of all their acquisitions over the years was to remove them from being a takeover target. As a big fan of Disney in general, I'd like to see them remain their own company.

Sell ESPN to Comcast/Universal. They prefer loud and soulless anyway.

Staffing costs are one part of ESPN's problem, but it's the rights fees that are killing them. They always figure that they can raise future carriage and advertising revenue, but that's not the case when people aren't tuning in..
Agreed. They "figured" wrong as the combination of content owners creating their own networks (NFL Network, B1G, SEC, Golf Channel MLB, ETC.), cord cutters and a la carte pricing options has crushed their "future carriage costs". I hope the beheadings begin when this season ends.

Isn't fat arse Berman done after this year, get rid of a few more blow hards and I bet they are back in the plus side. Seriously though, FOX sports should take advantage of this, they offer a better product on game day it seems, now just run with it.

I remember when ABC bought ESPN. One of my journalism professors told me about it then we discussed it in class.
That journalism professor?
John Nichols . If that name is familiar he was part of the advisory board to seek out the new coach to replace Joe Paterno .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT