ADVERTISEMENT

Did Putin pay Wilson to attack Panarin thru his proxy?

All of this was totally predictable. In no way do I advocate violence- or honestly even like to see hockey fights between "pros", however there is no denying that it is an accepted strategic part of the sport, and some mediocre players have jobs because they can play that role. Ken Hitchcock was our coach my year with the Flyers and we were a low scoring team. Opponents knew to come out fast and try and get a lead. If we went down more than one goal our own crowd would turn against us. The way the offense was run we would always "outshoot" teams often by a 2:1 margin- but the quality of shots was poor and our conversion rate was worse. We knew the strategy- but often couldn't adjust.

Like all sports- there is a game plan- and then what happens once the game is played. The coaches/players who adapt to things like the condition of the ice that night, or the way refs are calling the game, typically win. Our "hockey guys" said that most teams are pretty equal- on any given night either team can win. Even if guys like Wilson distract opponents into going away from their strengths just a little to account for his presence, Washington gains the slight advantage that may lead to a W (and they have the best player in the league in my opinion).

I don't like Wilson's game. I wouldn't mind seeing him suspended for a long time (think Bertuzzi or Kermit Washington if things go really bad). He may not be a bad person- but yes- his job is to threaten opposing players to take them off their games. And the NHL does very little in the manner of trying to tame him. One day it will go too far and nobody will be surprised. I agree that this will always be a niche pro sport in the US in part b/c of players like him. Part skills and part roller derby. The League doesn't want to change things (for now).

All of this was totally predictable. In no way do I advocate violence- or honestly even like to see hockey fights between "pros", however there is no denying that it is an accepted strategic part of the sport, and some mediocre players have jobs because they can play that role. Ken Hitchcock was our coach my year with the Flyers and we were a low scoring team. Opponents knew to come out fast and try and get a lead. If we went down more than one goal our own crowd would turn against us. The way the offense was run we would always "outshoot" teams often by a 2:1 margin- but the quality of shots was poor and our conversion rate was worse. We knew the strategy- but often couldn't adjust.

Like all sports- there is a game plan- and then what happens once the game is played. The coaches/players who adapt to things like the condition of the ice that night, or the way refs are calling the game, typically win. Our "hockey guys" said that most teams are pretty equal- on any given night either team can win. Even if guys like Wilson distract opponents into going away from their strengths just a little to account for his presence, Washington gains the slight advantage that may lead to a W (and they have the best player in the league in my opinion).

I don't like Wilson's game. I wouldn't mind seeing him suspended for a long time (think Bertuzzi or Kermit Washington if things go really bad). He may not be a bad person- but yes- his job is to threaten opposing players to take them off their games. And the NHL does very little in the manner of trying to tame him. One day it will go too far and nobody will be surprised. I agree that this will always be a niche pro sport in the US in part b/c of players like him. Part skills and part roller derby. The League doesn't want to change things (for now).
It is perfectly fair to not like the physicality of Wilson's game - Lord knows he crosses the line - and I appreciate the dose of realism about how the game is actually played. But for the love of God, his job is not to "threaten" opposing players. There are players in the past who had that job, but it really doesn't exist in the modern NHL. This is a point per 60 player we are talking about here.

It is perfectly fair to not like the physicality of Wilson's game - Lord knows he crosses the line - and I appreciate the dose of realism about how the game is actually played. But for the love of God, his job is not to "threaten" opposing players. There are players in the past who had that job, but it really doesn't exist in the modern NHL. This is a point per 60 player we are talking about here.
Do you think that teams are more aware of his presence on the ice than some other players on the Caps? Do they match lines or possibly activate certain more physical players when they play Washington (at the expense of things like scoring)? Or do you think each player is accounted for in the exact same manner? Do teams prep for Ovie the same way they do for Wilson?

He is absolutely an "enforcer" and one whose job is to be a physical presence. Maybe "threat" is a strong word- but the "possibility" of him "being more physical" and potentially beating the crap out of you is certainly there. Brashear evolved into more of an all around player too. Bottom line is without the goon role- Wilson wouldn't have had the chance to become the player he is and remains. He may well be the next Kermit Washington- who wasn't a bad player before re-arranging Rudy T's face- and then he disappeared from basketball. The smart money would be on that outcome- seems inevitable. We'll see.

Reactions: PSUHarry33
Wilson is much more of a cheap shot artist than an enforcer. Hey, the league wants that though. It's a shame, Wilson was a first round pick who could be the prototypical power forward. Instead of the league emphasizing his speed, hands, or other talents, they prefer his cheap shot antics. How many people are aware of his philanthropic side, or even care at this point? Talk about lost revenue opportunities not only for him, but for the league. As much as I don't care for the NBA, they do understand the importance of star players to the bottom line.

Which is why I liked hockey in the old days better. You touch a Mike Bossy or a Bobby Clarke, you have to deal with a Clark Gillies or a Dave Schultz. Weren't NEARLY the cheap shots on the stars then that there are today.

It's great not to retaliate like guys are taught now. But it's not going to stop some dirty player from slashing you or giving you a harder than necessary check from behind later in the hockey game. Having someone like Schultz coming over to you and telling you to knock it off carries EXPONENTIALLY more weight than some constantly distracted, indifferent referee.
How about we just play the sport without licensed assaults? Other sports seemed to have figured it out. What’s next? Release lions?

It looks likely the Caps will play the Bs in the first round... that will be a brutally physical match-up. I just wish the Bs still had Shawn Thorton or Lucic to police Wilson.

I think the Bruins with their remaining games overtake the Pens and sit at 2 or 3 and avoid the Caps in the first round who I think finish in the top spot.

Wilson is a douche that does not care about safety of his fellow players. Maybe someday someone will clock him again and he will understand. Sadly it would probably take a very serious concussion for him to get the point, and likely that wouldn’t do it it either.

I think some 3rd or 4th line player who is close to retirement takes out one or both of his knees badly on purpose. It's just a matter of time. Players know he is bad for the league.

Reactions: RGWhirly
The biggest joke of that game last night was the 5 minute major for cross checking. They called it in lice action which is understandable. Then they reviewed it and upheld the call, which is absurd. If you watch the replay Buchnevich hits Mantha in the faces with his hand and only has one hand in the stick. NHL officiating is an embarrassment.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Didn’t know that having no class was a ‘upper body injury’. Wilson out after the first with said injury. No doubt protecting him for playoffs.
Local DC announcers said they thought it was also the fact that his hands got so banged up from punching people. Probably more of the protecting him factor, but his hands were a mess too.

I think the Bruins with their remaining games overtake the Pens and sit at 2 or 3 and avoid the Caps in the first round who I think finish in the top spot.

Yeah, I think the Caps hold onto first. Because they play the Bruins I think you'll see a 2-3 Pens Bruins matchup with the Pens the 2 seed.

Reactions: PSUHarry33
The biggest joke of that game last night was the 5 minute major for cross checking. They called it in lice action which is understandable. Then they reviewed it and upheld the call, which is absurd. If you watch the replay Buchnevich hits Mantha in the faces with his hand and only has one hand in the stick. NHL officiating is an embarrassment.

Yeah, they completely ignored Mantha's punch to the face and numerous other shots that led to the escalation. I don't know how the refs expected to keep control of the game when they let that stuff slide, especially against the same player Wilson targeted the game before.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Wilson is much more of a cheap shot artist than an enforcer. Hey, the league wants that though. It's a shame, Wilson was a first round pick who could be the prototypical power forward. Instead of the league emphasizing his speed, hands, or other talents, they prefer his cheap shot antics. How many people are aware of his philanthropic side, or even care at this point? Talk about lost revenue opportunities not only for him, but for the league. As much as I don't care for the NBA, they do understand the importance of star players to the bottom line.
I will agree with the sentiment. He is infinitely more skilled than a guy like Riley Cote who one scout said: "doesn't even realize that there is a puck on the ice." The modern NHL can't carry the Steve Durbanos or Dave Schultzs....you gotta be able to play....but their behaviors persist in a history of "legal assaults."

Agreed- you pull that stuff in the stands- you end up in jail. There actually is a 2 cell prison in the basement of the Wells Fargo Center. It was often full on game nights- typically from fights started on the Club Box levels in the area of the full service bars that poured liquor. On the ice- people are cheering it on.....

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Your characterization is more to the right than the wrong - a chirping instigator is how I'd put it, except that unlike say Marchand, he cleans up his own messes. I don't think the "league" prefers that at all though (eg, the local caps standard commercial around here features him ... scoring goals). A fair look at their promotion always focuses on skilz, even if hilariously so like the silly shot competition from the stands at the ASG a few years back.

As to lost revenue opportunities, I don't think the league is hurt a bit, and realistically, I doubt he is either in that aside from the very top tier of nhl stars, their promotional ceiling is generally local regional endorsements. (And thank god for that - I mean, have you seen the Pasternak Dunkin commercial? And who can forget young Ovi's "Eastern Motors" commercial?) Ironically (or not) though, Wilson's most prominent investment is his share in a local (wait for it) boxing gym. I'm assuming his "investment" for purposes of the arrangement probably involves mostly promotional consideration.

You are right. If he would have gotten him with the stick Mantha would have been badly bloodied.

You are right. If he would have gotten him with the stick Mantha would have been badly bloodied.
And now they’ve suspended Buchnevich for a game due to the high stick incident. But nothing about the refs calling a cross checking major and upholding the crosschecking major after reviewing the video. It’s one screwup after another for the NHL.

Reactions: 91Joe95
How about we just play the sport without licensed assaults? Other sports seemed to have figured it out. What’s next? Release lions?

No. 100 mph fastballs to the skull. But they would NEVER do something like that in baseball. Right?

Who wouldn't rather get hit in the temple with a 100 mph fastball than punched with your helmet on in a hockey game?

And now they’ve suspended Buchnevich for a game due to the high stick incident. But nothing about the refs calling a cross to checking major and upholding the crosschecking major after reviewing the video. It’s one screwup after another for the NHL.

What a joke. I guess the league finds it perfectly fine to repeatedly hit someone with a stick and then punch them in the face, but retaliate? No, we can't have that. The NHL is such a ****ed up league.

What a joke. I guess the league finds it perfectly fine to repeatedly hit someone with a stick and then punch them in the face, but retaliate? No, we can't have that. The NHL is such a ****ed up league.
It’s just baffling, honestly. I mean, they fined Mat Barzal $2,000 for diving after being hooked (neither of which is called by the in-ice officials), Tom Wilson gets a $5,000 fine for roid raging and knocking one of the most exciting players in the league out of action for the season, and Buchnevich gets a game suspension for a high sticking incident I’m not convinced even made contact with the opponent who had been slashing him around the ice that the on-ice officials called cross checking and confirmed it as such after video review. You can’t make sense out of the scattershot application of discipline by the league. But it’s always been that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT