ADVERTISEMENT

Did Putin pay Wilson to attack Panarin thru his proxy?

Other than Putin, assuming you mean the Russian leader, I have no idea what you're talking about. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Not sure. Did this guy die from radioactive poisoning?
Putin had charges brought against Panarin because he’s a Navalney supporter. Best Russian player in NHL. Ovechkin is friendly with Putin. Tom Wilson is a goon who plays on Ovechkin’s team. #hitman

Big Z part is a joke. I think.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Capitals ripped for tasteless tweet praising Tom Wilson cheap shot against Rangers

E0gnczzWQAEZ2Or

I would not be at all surprised if Ovi has a "day job." That said, I would equally be not at all surprised if, after his playing career is over (and perhaps if his parents have passed), he piggybacks on his son's birth citizenship in this country to become a permanent resident.

As to last night's festivities:
1. Kick to goalie by Bucanevich - normal scrum stuff
2. Punch to Bucanevich in scrum - slightly more than normal scrum stuff - 2 for roughing (and he just got fined $5k).
3. Bread man jumping Wilson - normal scrum stuff, except that two skates off the ground is a little more than normal scrum stuff - 2 minutes
4. Wilson flinging bread man off of him in response - normal scrum stuff.
5. Wilson ragdolling him on follow up - 2 minutes for roughing
6. As to the misconduct, I'm ok with it either for failing to obey a cease and desist (if that's what happened), or for the flex in the box, which was sort of moronic. I'll have a word with him next time I see him walking his foster dogs in the neighborhood.

Justice appropriately served here. (Cue posters advocating life imprisonment and/or lethal injection, depending on their view of the death penalty.)

Oh, and the tweet? Classless and shameful for the organization to actually put that out, but compared to most of the stuff you see on twitter, well...

Last edited:
It looks likely the Caps will play the Bs in the first round... that will be a brutally physical match-up. I just wish the Bs still had Shawn Thorton or Lucic to police Wilson.
Actually, I continue to believe as I suggested last week that first round will be caps-pens.

BTW, I know Wilson is something of a sensitive subject here and all, but setting that aside, the best one liner of the night has to be "what do you get when you cross Tom Wilson with Artemi Panerin?" (A: Flat bread.)

Wilson is a douche that does not care about safety of his fellow players. Maybe someday someone will clock him again and he will understand. Sadly it would probably take a very serious concussion for him to get the point, and likely that wouldn’t do it it either.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I think that the "violence" in hockey/ pro sports in general is childish (see Fightin' Phillies vs. Mets). However there is a role for it that I didn't understand until I worked for the Flyers. Violence, or the threat of violence, can indeed alter the tempo of a game and (possibly) control the aggression of the opponent for fear of retribution. "Protecting" your stars matters. The theory makes sense- but let's not kid ourselves- it is mostly WWE stuff. Generally fighters fight fighters- and they are thrilled to do so. Two of the nicest guys on the Flyer team I worked for were Don Brashear and Todd Fedoruk. If not for their ability to skate (at least somewhat- Brash actually had some puck skills) and fight on ice they would be working in a sawmill in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan or some hayseed place even more out in The Great White North.

It does seem counterintuitive to allow a player like Wilson to have so much influence vs. truly "skilled" players- but as Aardvark86 said- dude rescues puppies- probably not a bad guy- just a "villian" on skates for a job. Think the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote. Totally different people when you punch the clock. He knows his role, and if he doesn't perform it he is gone. $5,000 fine is no deterrent- that is the joke of all of this. If you want to control those actions more significant financial pain will need to be inflicted on player and organization.....but they don't really WANT to control it. We are talking about it aren't we....no "bad" PR

I think that the "violence" in hockey/ pro sports in general is childish (see Fightin' Phillies vs. Mets). However there is a role for it that I didn't understand until I worked for the Flyers. Violence, or the threat of violence, can indeed alter the tempo of a game and (possibly) control the aggression of the opponent for fear of retribution. "Protecting" your stars matters. The theory makes sense- but let's not kid ourselves- it is mostly WWE stuff. Generally fighters fight fighters- and they are thrilled to do so. Two of the nicest guys on the Flyer team I worked for were Don Brashear and Todd Fedoruk. If not for their ability to skate (at least somewhat- Brash actually had some puck skills) and fight on ice they would be working in a sawmill in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan or some hayseed place even more out in The Great White North.

It does seem counterintuitive to allow a player like Wilson to have so much influence vs. truly "skilled" players- but as Aardvark86 said- dude rescues puppies- probably not a bad guy- just a "villian" on skates for a job. Think the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote. Totally different people when you punch the clock. He knows his role, and if he doesn't perform it he is gone. $5,000 fine is no deterrent- that is the joke of all of this. If you want to control those actions more significant financial pain will need to be inflicted on player and organization.....but they don't really WANT to control it. We are talking about it aren't we....no "bad" PR
So his job is putting people in the hospital? He has caused broken jaws, fractured faces, severe concussions. It’s only luck that none have died or been paralyzed with his head hunting. It was very fortuitous that Panarin turned his shoulder before hitting the ice or he could be dead.

If that is accepted by the league then it is past time that the players themselves take him out. Break his leg, arm, jaw, or blow his knee. End his season and then afterwards say publicly it was done to protect other players because the league doesn’t have the balls to do it.

I would applaud any player that does it.

So his job is putting people in the hospital? He has caused broken jaws, fractured faces, severe concussions. It’s only luck that none have died or been paralyzed with his head hunting. It was very fortuitous that Panarin turned his shoulder before hitting the ice or he could be dead.

If that is accepted by the league then it is past time that the players themselves take him out. Break his leg, arm, jaw, or blow his knee. End his season and then afterwards say publicly it was done to protect other players because the league doesn’t have the balls to do it.

Agree. The Tribe hit the White Sox Abreau twice the other day...neither appeared to be intentional but they were pitching him "in". In the 8th, the best Tribe player was up to bat and leading by 4 runs. You guessed it; the Sox plunked him. The announcers said that MLB was trying to control the game but really had no way because it is impossible to know intent. They finally said "let the players take care of it." If Hockey can only fine this guy $5k, it is time for the players to take matters into their own hands.

Reactions: PSUHarry33
Those are textbook hockey moves. Every kid gets taught them as soon as they step on the ice.
My kid has been playing for 4 years. Hasn’t been taught the hair-pulling douchebaggery moves to this point...maybe this year as he enters Pee Wee??

It’s like the league keeps thinking that Wilson is going to learn his lesson. Not sure why he’s so untouchable, but he's a menace and needs to go. Too bad because he’s actually a pretty good hockey player.

Wilson is a douche that does not care about safety of his fellow players. Maybe someday someone will clock him again and he will understand. Sadly it would probably take a very serious concussion for him to get the point, and likely that wouldn’t do it it either.
He is a complete idiot and needs to be cashiered out of the league.

Sadly it has come to this. But I must agree.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Wilson is lucky Hall of Fame enforcers like Probert, Dave Brown or Clark Gillies aren’t around. He’d still be picking his teeth up off the ice

Which is why I liked hockey in the old days better. You touch a Mike Bossy or a Bobby Clarke, you have to deal with a Clark Gillies or a Dave Schultz. Weren't NEARLY the cheap shots on the stars then that there are today.

It's great not to retaliate like guys are taught now. But it's not going to stop some dirty player from slashing you or giving you a harder than necessary check from behind later in the hockey game. Having someone like Schultz coming over to you and telling you to knock it off carries EXPONENTIALLY more weight than some constantly distracted, indifferent referee.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Rangers issue statement.

“The New York Rangers are extremely disappointed that Capitals forward Tom Wilson was not suspended for his horrifying act of violence last night at Madison Square Garden. Wilson is a repeat offender with a long history of these types of acts and we find it shocking that the NHL and their department of player safety failed to take the appropriate action and suspend him indefinitely. Wilson’s dangerous and reckless actions caused an injury to Artemi Panarin that will prevent him from playing again this season. We view this is a dereliction of duty by NHL head of player safety, George Parros, and believe he is unfit to continue in his current role.”

Rangers issue statement.

“The New York Rangers are extremely disappointed that Capitals forward Tom Wilson was not suspended for his horrifying act of violence last night at Madison Square Garden. Wilson is a repeat offender with a long history of these types of acts and we find it shocking that the NHL and their department of player safety failed to take the appropriate action and suspend him indefinitely. Wilson’s dangerous and reckless actions caused an injury to Artemi Panarin that will prevent him from playing again this season. We view this is a dereliction of duty by NHL head of player safety, George Parros, and believe he is unfit to continue in his current role.”

Yeah, and the owner who put out that statement apparently also just fired their GM and president of hockey ops for distancing themselves from said statement. So, apparently the body count is now something like Wilson 3, Rangers 0.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Rangers are making this game a shit show. 6 fights in first 5 minutes. Rangers sending a message to NHL.

Those are textbook hockey moves. Every kid gets taught them as soon as they step on the ice.
As someone who played youth hockey, have many family members that played hockey including some who also coach youth hockey this is garbage.

I feel the NHL has gone soft and that dropping the gloves has been part of the game. This is thuggery and never has been accepted. The biggest problem is the consistency or lack thereof as it relates to what is/isn’t punishable and to what extent.

I think it goes much further in that Gary Bettman is ruining the league and destroying any chance of it becoming a top revenue professional sport in America. But that’s just my take after 35 years of watching hockey.

Three fights at the drop of the puck to start today’s rangers Capitols game

Didn’t know that having no class was a ‘upper body injury’. Wilson out after the first with said injury. No doubt protecting him for playoffs.

Didn’t know that having no class was a ‘upper body injury’. Wilson out after the first with said injury. No doubt protecting him for playoffs.
Possibilities:
1. Hands were cut up
2. “Protecting for playoffs” (after he did his code duty by responding to his particular dance call)
3. Seeking to deescslate with lead in game

I’d say all three.

ADVERTISEMENT