ADVERTISEMENT

DePasquale's Audit Report......

bjf1991

Oct 4, 2016
Having read DePasquale's report....and listened in to the LiveStream:

http://www.paauditor.gov/Media/Default/Reports/PSU Audit Report.pdf

1 - Yeah
1f642.png
FINALLY someone honestly reporting on some of the issues that have been readily apparent for years and years (and that NONE of our BOT members have EVER discussed)

2 - Several very important takeaways (which I hope don't get lost in the throwaway comments vav the NCAA and what not).....which need to be discussed further...
Primarily vav Expenses/Budgeting/Tuition and Governance (BOT) Dysfunction.

3 - He did stop short on a couple of IMPORTANT issues - - - - primarily the CAUSES of the runaway expenses/tuition......which are topics I have discussed at length, and need to be brought front and center.

Overall........much better than I was expecting (not perfect, and a couple significant "misses".....but overall very worthwhile)
We will see if any of it gains traction .....

1 - Yeah
1f642.png
FINALLY someone honestly reporting on some of the issues that have been readily apparent for years and years (and that NONE of our BOT members have EVER discussed)

2 - Several very important takeaways (which I hope don't get lost in the throwaway comments vav the NCAA and what not).....which need to be discussed further...

3 - He did stop short on a couple of IMPORTANT issues - - - - primarily the CAUSES of the runaway expenses/tuition......which are topics I have discussed at length, and need to be brought front and center.

Overall........much better than I was expecting (not perfect, and a couple significant "misses".....but overall very worthwhile)
BTW -

He (DePasquale) did single out Capital Spending as a significant problem, from an Audit standpoint ....Yeah...... but stopped short of an "Investigation" of those expenses ...... Boo......
But, certainly more recognition of the problems than any "efforts" from any of the other responsible parties - ever - combined.

He has bought the premise that the football program was out of control, however. Ms Vicky again, I'll guess.

Too many BoT members... Guess Ira and company will recommend we'll have to cut loose some of the elected alumni seats

Reactions: WeR0206
Too many BoT members... Guess Ira and company will recommend we'll have to cut loose some of the elected alumni seats
You know that is EXACTLY what they did before..... when the previous AudGen recommended a reduction in size..... right?

1 - Yeah
1f642.png

Good, Thanks Barry for your summary

Reactions: Mary QBA
Page 35 point 9. (my copy and paste wasn't perfect).

Poor control over athletic program
PSU did not exercise adequate control over its
intercollegiate athletic programs, especially
the football program. These failures resulted
in the imposition of serious sanctions by the
National Collegiate Athletic Association
(NCAA) and in some cases, undermined the
PSU’s ability to effectively hold student-athletes accountable for violation of its
Community Standards, Penn State’s label
for its student code of conduct. Specifically
concerning the Clery Act
, USDE’s investigation indicates that these failures
also manifested themselves in the attitudes
and behaviors of some student-athletes and
some crime victims as well, resulting in
decreased crime reporting and compromised
campus safety

Page 35 point 9. (my copy and paste wasn't perfect).

Poor control over athletic program
PSU did not exercise adequate control over its
intercollegiate athletic programs, especially
the football program. These failures resulted
in the imposition of serious sanctions by the
National Collegiate Athletic Association
(NCAA) and in some cases, undermined the
PSU’s ability to effectively hold student-athletes accountable for violation of its
Community Standards, Penn State’s label
for its student code of conduct. Specifically
concerning the Clery Act
, USDE’s investigation indicates that these failures
also manifested themselves in the attitudes
and behaviors of some student-athletes and
some crime victims as well, resulting in
decreased crime reporting and compromised
campus safety
What violations of community standards by student athletes?? And I believe all of our Clery Act violations involved Sandusky. This guy's a moron.

Reactions: MtNittany
What violations of community standards by student athletes?? And I believe all of our Clery Act violations involved Sandusky. This guy's a moron.

There have been some...Our kids aren't perfect. But it wasn't systemic. I think we have Ms. Vicky and her ilk to thank for that part of the report.

And no, they didn't. Most of the Clery Act stuff did not have much to do with Sandusky at all, actually. But that wasn't the way the headlines were written.

Reactions: WeR0206
The stuff KGil was talking about was just a regurgitation/review of the old US Dept of Education Cleary Act Review.

The only "moronic" thing to do would be to come away from DePasquale's report with THAT as a takeaway. :)

I thought the report was pretty spot on. Not sure about out of control athletics though. UNC has fake classes which thus far, is fine by NCAA rules. Half of the SEC football players can't read (citation needed) but I'll stand by it, and they are in college. COLLEGE!

The stuff KGil was talking about was just a regurgitation/review of the old US Dept of Education Cleary Act Review.

The only "moronic" thing to do would be to come away from DePasquale's report with THAT as a takeaway. :)
I definitely misspoke. Knee-jerk reaction.

1 - Yeah
1f642.png

Bump

This report confirms that the choice to attend Penn State is hard for many PA residents to justify using purely economic reasoning. I'd only recommend high school students to go there if they absolutely love the place, find something unique at Penn State that they can't get anywhere else, are reasonably sure that they can find good employment after college, or have the means to overpay for college.

Reactions: Zenophile
This report confirms that the choice to attend Penn State is hard for many PA residents to justify using purely economic reasoning. I'd only recommend high school students to go there if they absolutely love the place, find something unique at Penn State that they can't get anywhere else, are reasonably sure that they can find good employment after college, or have the means to overpay for college.
I found his 30+ min presentation pretty fair and accurate. He clearly stated the audit's goals (including access to the college for state residents) and covered the discovery/conclusions relative to those goals. Among his findings was that Penn State acted out of panic during the Sandusky scandal. enrollment is both expensive and skewed towards out-of-state students, a totally independent review would have been better, the NCAA is among the least trustworthy institutions in the world, Rodney E. is a liar, and the BOT membership are for the most part political favors. I found his concluding recommendation that if Penn State made improvements he would recommend increased funding interesting...wonder if it will be discussed or even acknowledged by the OG BOT.

In the 50's the state contribution to university was about 80 percent what is it now.
Required ROTC kicked in more money for freshman sophomore males.
Hate to guess what portion of budget is health care today compared with 25years back.
Remember state now funds Pitt and temple.

Unless he was a genius, I'd send a kid to Penn College before University Park.

Unless he was a genius, I'd send a kid to Penn College before University Park.
I was not unhappy that I went to Ogontz. Made a bunch of friends that made Happy Valley a much friendlier place as a junior and senior.

I was not unhappy that I went to Ogontz. Made a bunch of friends that made Happy Valley a much friendlier place as a junior and senior.
Penn College (owned by PSU of course) is more of a trade school. Culinary to electrical to underwater welding. In other words, graduates that can produce stuff people actually need, and make a good living doing it.

Reactions: Zenophile
Penn College (owned by PSU of course) is more of a trade school. Culinary to electrical to underwater welding. In other words, graduates that can produce stuff people actually need, and make a good living doing it.

Tell everybody you went to Penn. I had a buddy who did this. He would smile but most people didn't know the difference.

Once they got to know you?

I doubt it. :)
Heck, a couple of years running my in laws got me Steelers stuff when I was first married thinking that since I was from PA.... Thank goodness they did not buy anything from Pitt.

Of course, this was all pre-Big Ten.

Same with me regarding Ogontz. Made a lot of friends at Ogontz that carried through my junior and senior years at Univ Park. Good times.

The Legislature has to put in check any attempt to reduce BoT size by eliminating elected Trustees.

The Legislature has to put in check any attempt to reduce BoT size by eliminating elected Trustees.
They did that last time (I believe it was Yudi and Gov-elect Wolf who led that effort).
Yudichak did it - I believe - righteously. For Wolf, it was just "words" that carried no real meaning for him.

Unfortunately, the utter governance failure that has been embodied within our existing "A9", has to be leaving the impression that it doesn't matter.

That is incredibly unfortunate...... and, obviously, needs to change

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT