ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Line Coach

psu skp

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2016
50 yard line after dark
Hard to believe, but Penn State has only had TEN Defensive Line coaches in the past 100 years, making it the most consistent area of coaching responsibility at Linebacker U.

1. Dick Harlow coached the DL a century ago from 1919-1921. He was a former player and PSU Head Coach before leaving to serve in World War I. He was one of the early pioneers of defensive line stunts and shifts and went on to coach at Harvard, where he coached Bobby Kennedy. He also coached Rip Engle in college, who was later Joe Paterno’s college coach.

2. There was no dedicated DL coach from 1922-1929, but that role was primarily filled by Leo Houck, who also coached the boxing team.

3. Joe Bedenk, a former Penn State All American, coached the line from 1930-1945 and went on to be Penn State Head Coach for one season.

4. Jim O’Hora was defensive line coach from 1946-1976 and also was Defensive Coordinator. I would rate him as our best DL coach, he sent literally dozens of players onto NFL careers.

5. J.T. White coached the Defensive Ends from 1954-1976 before becoming overall DL coach in 1977 when O’Hora retired. He coached from 1977-1979 before retiring and developed such players as Matt Millen, Larry Kubin, and Bruce Clark.

6. Jim Williams was DL coach from 1980-1992. He coached such players as Lou Benfatti, Tim Johnson, Leo Wisniewski, Walker Lee-Ashley, Tyoka Jackson and Bob White.

7. *Former PSU All American Randy Crowder was hired to coach Defensive Tackles from 1983-84 after his NFL career was cut short due to issues with substance abuse.

8. Buddy Sarra was DL Coach from 1993-1999 after nine season coaching Penn State linebackers.

9. Larry Johnson coached the Defensive Ends from 1996-99, then overall DL from 2000-2013. He developed such players as Courtney Brown, Anthony Adams, Jared Odrick, Brad Scioli, Tamba Hali, Jay Alford, Jimmy Kennedy, Aaron Maybin, Jack Crawford, Michael Haynes, DaQuon Jones and many others.

10. Sean Spencer, 2014-2019

*Former PSU All American Randy Crowder was hired to coach Defensive Tackles from 1983-84 after his NFL career was cut short due to issues with substance abuse.
I'm sure someone will correct me but wasn't that "abuse" that he was trying to sell a pound of cocaine? Anyway, it looks like he was just coaching DTs and his time overlapped with Jim Williams so maybe the total is only 9.

I'm sure someone will correct me but wasn't that "abuse" that he was trying to sell a pound of cocaine? Anyway, it looks like he was just coaching DTs and his time overlapped with Jim Williams so maybe the total is only 9.
Yeah, Crowder was suspended from the NFL for the 1977 season and had some issues with drugs.

Joe gave him a chance to turn things around by hiring him to coach the DT's (Williams remained the overall DL coach) after the '82 championship season. He was only in HV for two seasons.

So....who's next? Auburn has Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson going in the first 2 rounds of the draft, so is Rodney Garner available?

Mike Poorman wrote an article about 15 potential hires (and explains how he came up with them). Some were in the "good luck getting them" category, others in the "who?" column, and a few are interesting possibilities. I'm not a big Poorman fan when it comes to prognostications, but it'll be interesting - to me, at least - to see if any of these names pop up as the rumor mill gets fired up.

Poorman

Reactions: psu skp
Mike Poorman wrote an article about 15 potential hires (and explains how he came up with them). Some were in the "good luck getting them" category, others in the "who?" column, and a few are interesting possibilities. I'm not a big Poorman fan when it comes to prognostications, but it'll be interesting - to me, at least - to see if any of these names pop up as the rumor mill gets fired up.

Poorman

Poorman needs to do better research. Shannon gets $1mm p.a. plus a $300k retention bonus payable this month.

Twi

Poorman
Lousy list. No mention of 21 Guns. He is the ultimate line coach.

Elijiah Robinson would be a great hire.

Ultimately, you want to hire the best candidate ... PERIOD.

But, if you can get other perks to go along with the 'best candidate', then that's even better. Penn St wants to be viewed around the nation as "elite". One of those "elite" programs along with the Ohio States, Clemsons, Alabamas..... The optics of Penn State taking coaches from D1 programs like Minnesota and Texas A&M are excellent.

FWIW. Tweet today.

Elijah Robinson
@CoachE_TAMU
Where else would you rather be on this Super-Bowl Sunday!!! Building something Special #GigEmGang21/22

Embedded video
10:08 AM - Feb 2, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
68 people are talking about this

Reactions: TheGLOV
FWIW. Tweet today.

Elijah Robinson
@CoachE_TAMU
Where else would you rather be on this Super-Bowl Sunday!!! Building something Special #GigEmGang21/22

Embedded video
10:08 AM - Feb 2, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
68 people are talking about this

Doesn't mean anything one way or the other. Spencer was retweeting pictures with recruits as late as mid last week. If no decision was made I would expect Robinson to still be making posts about a&m.

I appreciate what "Chaos" brought to the team, but I don't think it is impossible to find a replacement as good or better than him. I sure hope that whoever it is can reel in some 5 star recruits and coach up the rest.

I appreciate what "Chaos" brought to the team, but I don't think it is impossible to find a replacement as good or better than him. I sure hope that whoever it is can reel in some 5 star recruits and coach up the rest.
Or we could just bring back Limegrover to coach the DL. He knows something about tackles for losses in the backfield.

I KID.... I KID

I am beginning to agree. My first reaction to the news of Spencer leaving was that he was going to be very difficult to replace. Then I started looking at different lists of potential DL Coaches, and realized that there are many excellent candidates. Spencer brought a "cool-ness" with him and that will be missed. But in terms of actually the job of DL Coach ... recruiting 4/5* prospects, developing them into great players, producing good results from his unit..... there seems to be a strong list of potential replacements.

There seems to be a nice amount of DL talent coming out of NJ about every year, so if Robinson can bring a "dominate the state" of NJ DLinemen to PSU scenario the PSU DL would be pretty much well stocked going forward........

And getting a great NJ recruiter on board could only help the recruiting of other positions regarding NJ as well. Robinson seems like the ideal candidate for DL coach.

Hope CJF is reading these threads!!
;);););)

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT