ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor Wrestling.....Disappointment

Hedonist1

Jun 16, 2016
I'm a huge DT fan and hope to see him win an Olympic gold some day. That being said, I've never been disappointed in him on a particular match. I've been disappointed for him on the Dake matches and Bubba match but never disappointed in him. This one is different.

Now, I know he (nor anyone) gives two shits of what I think, but I think he quit during that 3rd match. The sweat/grease on the mat was absolutely ridiculous, Cox is an extremely tough nut to crack, Cox should have been on the clock, etc., but I think DT gave up on all his offensive arsenal during the last half of match.....after Cox was hurt.

I think DT will recover fine and eventually have an Olympic spot but that was very disappointing for me to watch.

I'm a huge DT fan and hope to see him win an Olympic gold some day. That being said, I've never been disappointed in him on a particular match. I've been disappointed for him on the Dake matches and Bubba match but never disappointed in him. This one is different.

Now, I know he (nor anyone) gives two shits of what I think, but I think he quit during that 3rd match. The sweat/grease on the mat was absolutely ridiculous, Cox is an extremely tough nut to crack, Cox should have been on the clock, etc., but I think DT gave up on all his offensive arsenal during the last half of match.....after Cox was hurt.

I think DT will recover fine and eventually have an Olympic spot but that was very disappointing for me to watch.
interesting. I don't think he gave up at all. Cox tied him up when close and moved backwards preventing any quality shot. The one thing I thought he could do is move to his left and come back right. The one time Cox moved his right foot back after a DT attack and left his left foot open. DT committed to the right ankle and wasn't able to go back to his right. DT did tire a bit... who would not have. His actions or Cael's don't bother me. Repetitive bad 'behavior' will grow negatively with me but not every once in awhile.

He got emotional, so what. People are human, and don't belong on a pedestal. The 3rd match was a disgrace. If people cannot admit that, too damn bad. Bottom line, rules were not followed.
Good practice for international competitions.

I'm not thrilled with this individual result, but it's part of the process, and he'll be better for it.

I don't mind him or coaches getting emotional or pissed off, I just thought he could have won the match outright and didn't seem to go after it as hard as I would have expected. That being said, there was no excuse for those "oil spills" being permitted on the mat during action. If there's that much of an issue wear a shirt as someone pointed out earlier.

Everyone in the country knows that Cox played p the injury to the Ref so he would not get called for being passive...Hey it worked...I am sure Cox knows deep down DT is the better wrestler...I am not worried about it and neither should DT....He will win the spot and represent the USA when it counts most...

I think he was a bit gassed by the time the second match rolled around and had just enough to get to Cox's legs, and not much else beyond that. And that's before you get to the problem of not having anything to grip onto. His movement slowed overall after match one and I think that was mostly because it was a long day. I think DT beats Cox in two matches if they're equally rested. Or maybe even if Heflin hadn't put DT in a dog fight in the challenge finals.

Never understood how anyone thinks wresting all in one day is fair. Finals should be on a separate day. That's just common sense.
I have a better idea...send both wrestlers to an international tournament to determine who the wrestler should be, and give the spot to whoever places higher.

How much does it tell about the two wrestlers when they are meeting each other three times in one night?

Everyone in the country knows that Cox played p the injury to the Ref so he would not get called for being passive...Hey it worked...I am sure Cox knows deep down DT is the better wrestler...I am not worried about it and neither should DT....He will win the spot and represent the USA when it counts most...
Yeah, he obviously wore crutches for the world team photo in order to perpetuate the lie.

Just stop already.

I have a better idea...send both wrestlers to an international tournament to determine who the wrestler should be, and give the spot to whoever places higher.

How much does it tell about the two wrestlers when they are meeting each other three times in one night?
Well, OK, but what happens when one guy random draws Sadulaev in round 1 with all the best wrestlers on his side of the bracket, and the other guy gets greased to the finals?

I do like the idea, just that one international event may not shine much light.

Reactions: letsgohawks44
Have a ton of respect for J'Den Cox, total class act every interview I've seen with him. Love DT, also a total class act. Having said that, if you wish to continue after an injury, the match should be reffed as if there was no injury. It clearly was not. If DT and Cael did not have an emotional response to the officiating, I would be more worried.

Well, OK, but what happens when one guy random draws Sadulaev in round 1 with all the best wrestlers on his side of the bracket, and the other guy gets greased to the finals?

This is why UWW needs a real ranking system (and the one they have in place for Worlds this year isn't it).

"Deep down Cox knows DT is better"?

Please delete your account

This won't work. Not without a true consolation bracket

Yeah, he obviously wore crutches for the world team photo in order to perpetuate the lie.

Just stop already.
El. Not saying he was not hurt at all. BUT when he HAD to score it did not bother him at all...Once he got up a point he ran and was NEVER called...Human nature took over in the Ref's mind....Just fact !

El. Not saying he was not hurt at all. BUT when he HAD to score it did not bother him at all...Once he got up a point he ran and was NEVER called...Human nature took over in the Ref's mind....Just fact !
Based on your comments over the weekend, I'd be willing to be you didn't even watch the match....Just fact!

Previously, you said he was faking it. Let it go.

. . . The sweat/grease on the mat was absolutely ridiculous . . .

. . . That being said, there was no excuse for those "oil spills" being permitted on the mat during action . . .

Are you saying actual petroleum products were introduced to the mat area by one of the wrestlers (for real), or are you saying something else?

Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but the two statements read to me like the latter.

Are you saying actual petroleum products were introduced to the mat area by one of the wrestlers (for real), or are you saying something else?

Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but the two statements read to me like the latter.
I was wondering (not seriously) if the vaseline towel might make an appearance.

Russia picks their rep on national tourney + past results.

Good practice for international competitions.

I'm not thrilled with this individual result, but it's part of the process, and he'll be better for it.
Good post El...Many may not know DT well...He knows he is better...Relax he will be back and prove it....Let things play out....He will be the USA rep in 2020 when it means the most...Emotions are high right now with him and that is a GREAT thing for him and the USA....

giphy.gif

I have replayed this 2nd period about 10 times and having followed freestyle for the few years I have, it seems insane to me that this isn't a caution and 1. Cox is wrestling from his knees and fleeing contact with David, this is a caution and 1 (if I'm not mistaken, you can't get a caution and 2 from fleeing a hold - though maybe this has been updated in the latest rules). If this is not "fleeing the hold" then fleeing the hold is meaningless.

The night I saw this, I thought Cox just slid from his knees and he wasn't in control, but he's clearly moving his knees back as well. Having seen it a few more times, it's a caution and 1 by the book, but it's not called. If Cox would've gone off the mat, it would've been a caution and 2 imo.

In my mind, David should've been ahead on criteria after this moment (3-3 with Cox having a caution), but that said, David still had 2:30 to go to score the winning points and didn't get it done. I know the refs were hard on David, and in tight matches that makes the difference, I can't just also ignore that he didn't execute on a 1-legged Cox.

Last edited:
Reactions: purescurve
Reactions: jack66 and LionLaw
giphy.gif

I have replayed this 2nd period about 10 times and having followed freestyle for the few years I have, it seems insane to me that this isn't a caution and 1. Cox is wrestling from his knees and fleeing contact with David, this is a caution and 1 (if I'm not mistaken, you can't get a caution and 2 from fleeing a hold - though maybe this has been updated in the latest rules). If this is not "fleeing the hold" then fleeing the hold is meaningless.

The night I saw this, I thought Cox just slid from his knees and he wasn't in control, but he's clearly moving his knees back as well. Having seen it a few more times, it's a caution and 1 by the book, but it's not called. If Cox would've gone off the mat, it would've been a caution and 2 imo.

In my mind, David should've been ahead on criteria after this moment (3-3 with Cox having a caution), but that said, David still had 2:30 to go to score the winning points and didn't get it done. I know the refs were hard on David, and in tight matches that makes the difference, I can't just also ignore that he didn't execute on a 1-legged Cox.
Go onto Flo and listen to David today. Right below this shot you have on the board. Yes. Cox showed no effects of being hurt when he needed to score and then ran like crazy even sliding in his own sweet...They needed to stop and give him a caution 1 or 2 and David wins. I honestly think the Ref didn't call anything on Cox since he twisted his knew when getting scored on ......DT got 1 instead off 2....Anyway DT is over it now and is moving forward...Please listing to him today....Trust me and i will bet a lot of money...DT will get the main spot...For now lets move on as he says....People get emotional in something they have put their whole life into and when things are not called right it brings things out....Love his attitude...Please listen to his in-gram on flo !!!

giphy.gif

Additionally, it's pathetic that the ref saw that and didn't immediately stop the match to dry the mat.

Additionally, it's pathetic that the ref saw that and didn't immediately stop the match to dry the mat.

It is really ridiculous. Those are my two main gripes with the refs. Maybe passivity calls were harsh but there is a clear caution and 1 missed, and the mat should've been dried.

Next time I see it again, I want to count how many times David attacks and where.

giphy.gif

Good post, but how is DT supposed to even attempt a takedown when an opponent is on their knees?

Reactions: Gebmo
Yeah, on that mat? I think that's why DT and Cael were so upset. That wasn't possible.

Arm drag or a slide by are 2 ways. I'd like to say duck under since he was losing, but....;)

Our resident room guy would hit a duck under in this situation. It should also be obvious to anyone in the know that if the duck under doesnt work while a guy is gliding across the mat on his knees, that a super duck is the next best tactical move.

#duckandmove

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
Our resident room guy would hit a duck under in this situation. It should also be obvious to anyone in the know that if the duck under doesnt work while a guy is gliding across the mat on his knees, that a super duck is the next best tactical move.

#duckandmove

Let's not kid ourselves, the Slip N Slide Boot Scoot was right there for the taking

Reactions: Afw6006 and tikk10
giphy.gif

Check out the lateral move he made at the end of the video you posted, can't do that on 1 leg. Like I said before no one was more surprised he did not do any real damage to his knee than Cox, it looked bad. Thank god it wasn't, but he was definitely not 1 legged.

Reactions: Gebmo and SRATH
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT