ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Patrick Reporting Mutual Interest Franklin and U$C

Only on this board could a discussion of Franklin's interest in USC turn into an awkward statistical dick measuring contest about New York City with some late divisive political seasoning thrown in. Perhaps we can all pivot to climate change or a debate over who should build the wall between the US and Canada? I'm sure that factors in to the whole Franklin decision making process.

Only on this board could a discussion of Franklin's interest in USC turn into an awkward statistical dick measuring contest about New York City with some late divisive political seasoning thrown in. Perhaps we can all pivot to climate change or a debate over who should build the wall between the US and Canada? I'm sure that factors in to the whole Franklin decision making process.
ouch...my apologies. I saw the message come in via "Alerts" and thought this was the test board.

• Haha
Reactions: GreggK
Well we do have a bunch of Canadians on the team, so... 🤷‍♂️😂

Whenever I moved around in NYC, I would always look at the compstats for the crime, but I really only ever payed attention to murders, because for the most part, they can't be messed with. Other things could be under reported or reclassified, so for me, murders were the barometer.

So murder numbers

1990 - 2,605 (the high point)
2000 - 952
2005 - 874
2010 -868 (at the time, these were like amazingly low numbers)
2015 - 613
2020 - 462

Keep in mind, when people were in their 20s, their tolerance for this stuff was much higher. Now they are older and their tolerance is much lower.

Listen, I am not saying there aren't problems and I think you know I am more moderate than not, my point is, the hyperbole that "crime is out of control" is silly. There are problems and they need to be addressed. Eric Adams is a great pick as far as I am concerned and proof that the city isn't on board with the nut jobs.

But anyone who bets against NYC always loses.

I swear there are just people who want NYC to fail so bad.
It's so unAmerican to me.
In 2018 murders were 289,…in 2020 =450 and on pace in 2021 for 400-500.

So better than pre-Rudy NYC but going wrong direction in a big time way…

What’s with the New York paranoia?…it is a critical US and globally important city…but the numbers show (people are fleeing in large numbers) it is in precipitous decline. To its credit, I am surprised it is not worse.

What this has to do with Franklin moving to LA is beyond me? I guess you just wanted to argue about New York?

NYC census 2010

NYC census 2020

The official 2020 number is higher than any number on your chart, because obviously, those numbers are wrong.

Again, not that it matters, I do find it odd you would seemingly be rooting for the demise of NYC based solely on politics.
I said that of course it’s bigger in 2020 than 2010, but it’s been declining since 2016, so they are in fact losing people especially recently. I am not rooting for its demise and I’m certainly not basing it on politics. You responded to a post saying LA wasn’t losing people and neither was NYC….I responded that it was…no judgement or politics involved at all. I would never live in NYC (or any city), but I know some people love big cities. To each their own. Whether it grows or shrinks makes no difference to me.

I believe your analysis of equivalent salary becomes flawed once a person's salary gets so large that the person is saving a significant portion of his salary and is no longer spending his entire salary on living expenses.
It's a flawed approach when you are talking about salaries so large they enable you to live comfortably anywhere in the country. Geographical cost of living would be an extremely minor factor if I were in CJF's shoes.

Personally I agree that Franklin is going to jump to another job within the next few years. The question is which job is Franklin aiming for? Is it USC, or LSU, or Florida, or Notre Dame? Due to coaching and culture fit, I don't think Franklin would end up at Oklahoma, Alabama, Texas A&M, Clemson, Texas, or Georgia. And he won't go to Ohio State or Michigan. All motivated professionals have one or two specific jobs that they aspire to earn one day. Franklin is not the second coming of Joe Paterno where he is going to stay at Penn State for 30 years, the times have changed and Franklin wants to be an elite coach so why not put himself in a position to be an elite coach.
Maybe his specific job is Penn State…only he knows. He’s a Pennsylvania guy, so there’s no reason to think PSU isn’t that spot for him.

USC is really the only job I could see him leaving for because it's a great fit for his personality and his recruiting would be incredible there. Especially with the new NIL stuff. That said, I think PSU is truly his dream job and he's not going anywhere as long as Sandy or the fans haven't pissed him off too much.

Crime in NYC is lower now than it was 10 years ago and certainly 20 years ago.
That isn't a defense of crime or the people who are anti police (I am not) but in context, it isn't like it is 1989. I have seen NYC from the early 90s till now. I would put now in context of something like 2003-2004 crime wise.

When I was a kid in the 90s, I would have to work with my dad in Red Hook in Brooklyn. Now that was rough....

Just because someones politics are such that they can't imagine living in a place doesn't mean everyone agrees with you. It really comes down to, "I don't like AOC, the mayor or stupid liberals so I hope it fails" for a lot of people.
Overall crime up 22%.
Robbery up 47%.
Grand larceny up 36%.
Felony Assault up 21%.
Shootings up 73%.
And it’s not so much that these numbers are up, it’s that many are happening in broad daylight. Next you’re going to tell us San Francisco’s crime rate is down. It may be lower than 1989, but it’s heading that direction.

Calling BS on this one. Once you get to a certain level of program, you don't see coaches jump to "other attractive options."

Jumbo Fischer says hi…

🙄
1. One...you name one. Can you list another?
2. I'll just leave this here. Fisher got out while he could.

The beginning of the end for Fisher's tenure came in the 2017 season opener. In the second half of a season-opening 21-7 loss to Alabama, quarterback Deondre Francois blew out the ACL in his left knee. Francois' backup, James Blackman, was raw and untested, exposing several years of recruiting misses at quarterback since Winston's signing.[9] A close loss to NC State a week later knocked them out of the polls for the first time since the middle of the 2011 season. They went on to finish with their first on-field losing record in ACC play since joining the league. They would have been ineligible for a bowl–thus ending the longest active streak in FBS–if not for defeating Louisiana-Monroe in a game that had been rescheduled from September due to Hurricane Irma.

A 2019 article in Bleacher Report detailed a number of problems with the culture of the FSU program under Fisher. According to former assistants, the players seemed to lose their drive after the 2013 national championship season. Additionally, Bleacher Report revealed that Florida State had the worst Academic Progress Rate score of any Power Five program, and was actually on the verge of an automatic postseason ban. Reportedly, Fisher had given his assistants a mandate to "keep players eligible" above all else; athletic director Dave Coburn conceded as much. Fisher's successor, Willie Taggart, was stunned at the apparent laissez-faire attitude toward academics when he arrived, and instituted immediate changes. Several former assistants from Fisher's tenure believed the casual attitude toward academics were part of a larger erosion of discipline that gradually led to a sense of entitlement.[9]

Hesitate to post...but, wish list:

1. Urban Meyer - Was interested at some point, maybe finishes his career at PSU after the brutal reality that is the NFL...Happy Valley is low key and insular enough to keep the chest pains down to a minimum...

2. David Shaw - Love his style of football; still uses a fullback, very pro-oriented offense. He's likely a Stanford lifer though.

3. Luke Fickell - Seems like his wheelhouse; good coach overachieving at Cincy. Does he move the needle for big time recruits though?

4. Matt Rhule - See Urban Meyer; maybe the sheen of the NFL wears off at some point and he returns to Happy Valley...

Realistically, my guess is Matt Campbell, Luke Fickell, and some NFL OCs are considered. I wouldn't take anyone without any HC experience though.
I forgot about Ruhle......that would be the Home Run or Home Runs......and no, not because he went to Penn State. The guy can flat out coach. Baylor was dead, I mean dead and he turned that around rather quickly.

However, if he is able to turn around Sam Darnold I am gonna guess he stays for quite some time with the defense he is building down there.

I forgot about Ruhle......that would be the Home Run or Home Runs......and no, not because he went to Penn State. The guy can flat out coach. Baylor was dead, I mean dead and he turned that around rather quickly.

However, if he is able to turn around Sam Darnold I am gonna guess he stays for quite some time with the defense he is building down there.
Is it Rhule or Joe Brady that is turning around Darnold?

Reactions: Texas Lion

What’s with the New York paranoia?…it is a critical US and globally important city…but the numbers show (people are fleeing in large numbers) it is in precipitous decline. To its credit, I am surprised it is not worse.

What this has to do with Franklin moving to LA is beyond me? I guess you just wanted to argue about New York?

Overall crime up 22%.
Robbery up 47%.
Grand larceny up 36%.
Felony Assault up 21%.
Shootings up 73%.
And it’s not so much that these numbers are up, it’s that many are happening in broad daylight. Next you’re going to tell us San Francisco’s crime rate is down. It may be lower than 1989, but it’s heading that direction.
Are we seriously still talking about this!?

• Haha
I hope CJF stays, but if he goes we are going to hiring our second HC on a lame duck AD that is retiring. No good-great coach wants that situation. The new AD always wants his/her “guy”.
It worked out with Sandy, but that is not normal.

Reactions: Texas Lion
I would consider Brady as well. Although at this point it might be very scary to give the keys to the care to a 12 year old.
I wasn’t suggesting that Joe Brady be hired as a head coach, just that he’s more likely the reason Darnold may be doing well.

ouch...my apologies. I saw the message come in via "Alerts" and thought this was the test board.

Isn‘t this the Test Board?

blurred-lines-robin-thicke.gif

Reactions: Obliviax
I said that of course it’s bigger in 2020 than 2010, but it’s been declining since 2016, so they are in fact losing people especially recently. I am not rooting for its demise and I’m certainly not basing it on politics. You responded to a post saying LA wasn’t losing people and neither was NYC….I responded that it was…no judgement or politics involved at all. I would never live in NYC (or any city), but I know some people love big cities. To each their own. Whether it grows or shrinks makes no difference to me.
New York will not lose much population, but what they are losing is affluent population, the middle class population and businesses. Or described differently, the ones that pay for everything. If the drain continues, the city will continue to drain even more money from the state and federal government.

The percentage decline I posted was for 2020. Of course it’s grown since 2010, but it peaked in 2016 and has fallen since. So it grew for six years then dropped for the last four and you’re going to argue the population is growing because of where it was in 2010. I guess Michigan is the best team today because they have the most wins of all time.
Finally, someone gets it !! The Big Blue Machine will tear up the B1G this year - take it to the bank. Go Jim, Go Blue

Franklin understands leverage. We are about 8-10 weeks away from announcing a capital improvement project for Beaver Stadium.

Maybe, but if you are correct, he's playing his hand a little heavy. He's making $6M a year IIRC and there have been substantial facility upgrades since he arrived. At some point, he needs to just shut this stuff down and repeat what he said adnauseum at his intro press conference....

'I'm a Pennsylvania boy with a Penn State heart' ...and I'm not a candidate for another job.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Maybe, but if you are correct, he's playing his hand a little heavy. He's making $6M a year IIRC and there have been substantial facility upgrades since he arrived. At some point, he needs to just shut this stuff down and repeat what he said adnauseum at his intro press conference....

'I'm a Pennsylvania boy with a Penn State heart' ...and I'm not a candidate for another job.

Until it effects team performance or recruiting I'm not sure there's a reason for him to say anything like that. It would make us fans feel better but I'm not sure what other benefit there is. If he thinks he can get facility upgrades or more money for assistants by keeping his name out there without it effecting the team or recruits, then have had it James. You do you. But once it causes a problem that he can't manage then he's gotta shut it down.

He’s already said he’s not going anywhere without giving the media the satisfaction of him actually saying it….they’re just not smart enough to figure it out.

I think he would be a candidate.....
I certainly hope you aren’t on the selection committee… one year as LSU offensive coordinator and one full year as Carolina Panther OC… hardly a resume justifying handing him the keys to a P5 program.

I certainly hope you aren’t on the selection committee… one year as LSU offensive coordinator and one full year as Carolina Panther OC… hardly a resume justifying handing him the keys to a P5 program.
I said I think he would be a candidate, not THE candidate. The thing with young guys is someone eventually will give him a chance, why not us. He isn't going to go from Carolina OC to Head Coach at Toledo.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer people like Ruhle but seriously...if it came down to Pry or Brady I'd go Brady 10/10 times.

Have you been to India?
https://www.businessinsider.com/ind...ds-make-beverly-hills-look-like-a-dump-2012-3

https://i.redd.it/ahmx061q97261.jpg
https://i.insider.com/4f6a6992ecad04e02c000024?width=400&format=jpeg

Yes. And some of the world's richest people live in India, of course they live well. Only the US and China have more billionaires; and they have 700,000 millionaires too. So yes, they have absurdly exclusive neighborhoods. Of course, like Brazil and South Africa, or some parts of the US, there are literal walls diving the rich from the rest of the city. I'm not endorsing such things, just mentioning it.

Of course Franklin would live well if he went to USC. No clue if he is interested or not.

And he certainly isn’t going to jump to HC at a blue blood P5 program either. At least not without more seasoning.
I see where you are coming from, but just dont agree. Thoughts like this, IMO, is why Al Golden gets more chances or why Derek Mason will get another chance......I would rather go with the young upcomer.

Reactions: lazydave841
Have you been to India?
I have. You can live like a king if you have money in India, and for far less money than you'd need in many other countries. Gated communities, private drivers, personal chefs, housekeepers, etc. Personal tolerance for the obvious disparities in lifestyles and wealth is individually subjective. Poverty would be all around you but for some that may not mean it's unlivable. For others it would mean that.

Bottom line. Franklin isn't going anywhere during the season. So, can shelve this to the off-season before the bowl game. Then we will find out for sure.

When asked about recruiting, Franklin said he would discuss with them as they are his future team. Good enough for me at this point. Even if he denied vehemently, it wouldn't stop speculation, and coaches generally lie about it anyway.

I see where you are coming from, but just dont agree. Thoughts like this, IMO, is why Al Golden gets more chances or why Derek Mason will get another chance......I would rather go with the young upcomer.

Success rate is probably pretty similar to be honest. Who was the last 'up and comer' to have big time success at a premiere program? Look at Texas - took a chance on a HC doing wonders at a traditionally limited program (Strong, Louisville) and then again on Herman from Houston. Both flamed out spectacularly. I expect the same to happen to Sarkisian. Matt Rhule did well on his jump from Temple to Baylor. Frost is struggling at Nebraska, Norvell will likely be canned by FSU, etc. The learning curve for a 'never been' HC is high and most of these programs don't want to wait; like drafting a QB in the NFL. My guess is Kirby Smart is the unicorn here (and before him, Dabo Swinney and Urban Meyer). But, it's all about fit and the stars aligning. I'd take a chance on Al Golden over a lot of OC/DC types.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT