ADVERTISEMENT

Crucial milestone reached!

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
k3n6sm.jpg

Sorry its sideways. 200k on a 98 tacoma!

I hit that a few years ago on my 01 Silverado - I took a pic right at 200k.
And then I abruptly stopped driving it, and it sat in my driveway for a couple years.
Some guy last fall was driving by, saw it, and came and knocked on my door and asked me if I wanted to sell it. I said $2000, he laughed and offered $500.
Came back with the cash and a new battery, and off he drove - he only lived 5 miles away, and just as he got to his house one of the brake lines failed. He also had to replace the water pump, but other then that he got a great truck - 4WD LT all optioned up.
AzxImUh.jpg

I hit that a few years ago on my 01 Silverado - I took a pic right at 200k.
And then I abruptly stopped driving it, and it sat in my driveway for a couple years.
Some guy last fall was driving by, saw it, and came and knocked on my door and asked me if I wanted to sell it. I said $2000, he laughed and offered $500.
Came back with the cash and a new battery, and off he drove - he only lived 5 miles away, and just as he got to his house one of the brake lines failed. He also had to replace the water pump, but other then that he got a great truck - 4WD LT all optioned up.
AzxImUh.jpg

So the cash he came back with, was it $500 or $2000? Or some other amount? You forgot the whole punchline...

So the cash he came back with, was it $500 or $2000? Or some other amount? You forgot the whole punchline...
ya, it was $600. He LOL'd at 2k and then 1k.
I (and my neighbors) was just happy to get that truck out of my driveway

Bought a Tacoma back in 2004...put 235k on her. Got 7k for her in a trade in i Feb 2017. A true gem of a truck. And yes I bought another one....

Reactions: demlion
Bought a Tacoma back in 2004...put 235k on her. Got 7k for her in a trade in i Feb 2017. A true gem of a truck. And yes I bought another one....
Did you get $7k for the old truck, or did you pay $6.5k more for the new one than you had to? Just wondering.

Reactions: WDLion
I haven’t owned a car in many years. I get a new company car every 50,000 miles or so. It’s great getting new cars, but I do miss owning one. I may be able to buy one now that my last kid just graduated college.

Just traded in a 2003 Ford F150 with 209k miles. i would still have it but I got a new job and I drive 100 miles a day. Wife said she wasn't coming to get me if I broke down. Truck was in fantastic shape fora 2203. Hmm, maybe I should have traded in for a new .......

Last edited:
I drive 00 miles a day. Wife said she wasn't coming to get me if I broke down
You don't drive but your wife gave you an edict of non-assistance in the event you "break down"? Do you think she's trying to hint at something else? :)

She’s got a lot of mileage on her, but she’s still a good ride.
Shes a beater, buy she's MY beater.

Bought this truck with 102 on the clock in early 2012. Highway, woods, ice and snow, its all the same. Only vehicle I've ever owned where i get more than the warranted amount on a set of tires.

Put some heavy duty off-road springs on it a couple years ago, and now i routinely run it with staggering loads of wood in the bed, and tow a 4x8 trailer behind it loaded to the top, too.

With a 2.7 liter 4, this thing is an unstoppable workhorse. I bought it from a guy who'd had it parked for 5-1/2 years. The battery is from 2011!

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Shes a beater, buy she's MY beater.

Bought this truck with 102 on the clock in early 2012. Highway, woods, ice and snow, its all the same. Only vehicle I've ever owned where i get more than the warranted amount on a set of tires.

Put some heavy duty off-road springs on it a couple years ago, and now i routinely run it with staggering loads of wood in the bed, and tow a 4x8 trailer behind it loaded to the top, too.

With a 2.7 liter 4, this thing is an unstoppable workhorse. I bought it from a guy who'd had it parked for 5-1/2 years. The battery is from 2011!
Did you ever modify that front "bumperus erectus"?

Reactions: demlion
Did you ever modify that front "bumperus erectus"?
Oh, hell no. That thing is awesome. The truck looks like something i welded up in the back yard, especially with the wire mesh radiator protector.

And, as it gets rusty, it'll look BETTER!

Last edited:
Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
You would be astonished at the price these go for used. 5 year old trucks with >100 k routinely sell in the low 20s
Last year my wife Karen bought her brother's 4x4. He asked 8,000. I told her buy it. He was asking more, but for Karen came down in price. It's a 2004, w/40,000 miles, standard cab, 8ft bed, lined, plow, excellent condition. My son's using the truck until he finds another to replace his old truck. We use the truck to plow the 2,000 feet of dirt road on the mountain homestead.

Reactions: LionJim and demlion
That's fantastic! I have 2003 Tacoma 3.4 L V6 with 140k and hope mine continues to run like yours. The whole time I've owned it other than scheduled maintenance I had one problem. Once the engine light went on I had it checked out and it needed a new gas cap. Cost me ten bucks. Keep wondering when something will go wrong but so far nothing.

That's fantastic! I have 2003 Tacoma 3.4 L V6 with 140k and hope mine continues to run like yours. The whole time I've owned it other than scheduled maintenance I had one problem. Once the engine light went on I had it checked out and it needed a new gas cap. Cost me ten bucks. Keep wondering when something will go wrong but so far nothing.
I am not as familiar with the 6 cyl. models, but man, these trucks are as close to bulletproof as any vehicle I have ever seen.

There are some Tacomas where the frames are junk and rust through, but they covered most of them thru warranty claims. If your truck does not have it now, it wont get it.

No reason to think its not good for 300k.

Reactions: Mile High Lion
I am not as familiar with the 6 cyl. models, but man, these trucks are as close to bulletproof as any vehicle I have ever seen.

There are some Tacomas where the frames are junk and rust through, but they covered most of them thru warranty claims. If your truck does not have it now, it wont get it.

No reason to think its not good for 300k.

I have a 2010 with about 55K miles and I love the truck. It had a frame issue but the installed a new frame under warranty. I must say that when Toyota’s have problems or issues, they don’t mess around. They take care of what they sell.

I have a 2010 with about 55K miles and I love the truck. It had a frame issue but the installed a new frame under warranty. I must say that when Toyota’s have problems or issues, they don’t mess around. They take care of what they sell.
I was looking at an 05 some months ago for a buddy of mine. 110k, and the frame was replaced in 2016. They wanted like $12 or 13k for it--5 speed, extended cab 4 cyl, 4wd....nothing fancy. Im not sure it wasn't a fair price.

That stuff is hard for this old dog to understand. When I was a kid, if someone got 100k on a car, everyone knew about it. We practically had a parade!

Now i own 3 vehicles, and they are all well north of 150k. I tell my kids, "It's what I have instead of recycling."

Reactions: psuted
Let me know if you want to sell it in a couple years.:D

Reactions: psuted
I have a 97 Ranger I bought from my FIL about 12 years ago for $4700. 113K on it, drips oil sporadically. Can smell it when you shut it off after a trip of any length. My wrench said it's hard to begin to define the leak, it's coming from so many different places. Thing runs like a raped ape. Top off the oil level maybe once every oil change. Move the truck around to different spots on the driveway, serves to seal the driveway :D. Small used trucks are expensive as hell, as has been noted. Any used truck, I guess.

Congrats on the 200K. Hope I can get 150 out of the beast. Replaced a brake line, gas tank and two springs. Rust never sleeps. It's a POS but it's my POS.

I have a 97 Ranger I bought from my FIL about 12 years ago for $4700. 113K on it, drips oil sporadically. Can smell it when you shut it off after a trip of any length. My wrench said it's hard to begin to define the leak, it's coming from so many different places. Thing runs like a raped ape. Top off the oil level maybe once every oil change. Move the truck around to different spots on the driveway, serves to seal the driveway :D. Small used trucks are expensive as hell, as has been noted. Any used truck, I guess.

Congrats on the 200K. Hope I can get 150 out of the beast. Replaced a brake line, gas tank and two springs. Rust never sleeps. It's a POS but it's my POS.
Was talking with a buddy of mine about how we would be lost without a small pickup. I can still load my Tacoma by hand with firewood and haul it home and unload it. When i am too feeble to load it with heavy stuff, i wont need it any more, but man, will that ever be an adjustment.

I figure I'm assisted living about 2 weeks after i let that truck go.

Was talking with a buddy of mine about how we would be lost without a small pickup. I can still load my Tacoma by hand with firewood and haul it home and unload it. When i am too feeble to load it with heavy stuff, i wont need it any more, but man, will that ever be an adjustment.

I figure I'm assisted living about 2 weeks after i let that truck go.

My buddies would give me shiz about my piece of crap. I used to tell them my truck is old enough to vote. Now it's old enough to drink. When you own a truck you appreciate how handy they are. Mrs. Bell wants a load of mulch this week. No problemo. I'll pay the cheap bulk mulch price. Haul furniture or whatnot or a sizable purchase for my aging parents? No problem. Load cut grass to the grass recycle place? I got that. Worth the repairs and leaks to me. I considered getting rid of it and getting a more reliable cheaper passenger car but I would miss the convenience. Not happening. When the shiz finally hits the fan, the last two strata of people to survive will be truck owners and the Amish.

My buddies would give me shiz about my piece of crap. I used to tell them my truck is old enough to vote. Now it's old enough to drink. When you own a truck you appreciate how handy they are. Mrs. Bell wants a load of mulch this week. No problemo. I'll pay the cheap bulk mulch price. Haul furniture or whatnot or a sizable purchase for my aging parents? No problem. Load cut grass to the grass recycle place? I got that. Worth the repairs and leaks to me. I considered getting rid of it and getting a more reliable cheaper passenger car but I would miss the convenience. Not happening. When the shiz finally hits the fan, the last two strata of people to survive will be truck owners and the Amish.
One of the least realistic things about the Walking Dead is few to no small trucks.

Now way there are not a bunch of Tacos in the Apocalypse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT