ADVERTISEMENT

Cowherd just picked OSU to win Natl Championship

do not understand the hype for OSU this year. I think they are going to underachieve big time and Urban will be at ND in 2018.

How can you not understand it? They made it to the playoff last year, and bring back 15 starters. Maybe they will underachieve, but the hype is certainly warranted.

WE (****ing) ARE!

Nice try from the typical, crass, poor-sport Suckeye fan - you're completely full of $hit that your heros held PSU to only 14 yards in the 4th quarter - PSU had 3 possessions in the 4th quarter and on the their first possession in the 4th quarter PSU drove 90 yards and scored a TD to make it 21-14. Their 2nd possession came after blocking a duhO$U punt and taking possession at the duhO$U 30. PSU then drove to the duhO$U 16 before kicking a FG. PSU then blocked a duhO$U FG attempt and returned it for a TD. duhO$U then got the ball back with 4:30 down by 3. duhO$U gained a grand total of 14 yards while using up 3 minutes of clock and their remaining TOs before turning the ball over on downs with over a minute left. PSU went into victory formation as they didn't need any more points to post the win.

So you are totally full of $hit that duhO$U outplayed PSU on either side of the ball in the 4th quarter or remotely held PSU to 14 yards offense in the 4th quarter, you storytelling poor-sport, typical Suckeye douche. The reality is that PSU outscored duhO$U 17-0 in the 4th quarter and IN FACT held your awesome Suckeyes scoreless for the final 25 minutes of the game, LMFAO!

No! Either team may LOSE many other games. We had one good season... don't count your eggs before (insert extended egg metaphor here)

Cowherd listened to First Take with Skip and Shannon today, they had Cris Carter on speaking about the Schiano comments about OSUs dline. Cris was raving about OSU and how great the dline is and how he know the kids etc....it made me a little concerned but knowing a little about Cris, from his lack of play calling from his St. thomas days not too worried I am hoping and believe it's lot of hype and an alum seeing through rose colored glasses....the winner of that game reps the BigTen as most of us know....it will be interesting.

How can you not understand it? They made it to the playoff last year, and bring back 15 starters. Maybe they will underachieve, but the hype is certainly warranted.
Ohio St had 7 drafted. 3 DBs in the 1st round. 2 in the 2nd (LB and WR). Their best OL went in the 3rd. They lost 2 WRs in the draft and 2 more signed free agent contracts. Their punter who was a weapon also signed a free agent contract.

They have 2 major question marks as a result, their secondary will be mostly new starters and Barrett may not have anyone to throw to if he has learned to throw this off season. I suspect teams that can throw the middle to deep ball will see success especially early in the year. I also suspect teams will be able to load the box on them defensively with some success.

Their OL was not the typically dominant OL you would expect last year and they lost their best player there (the center). They return all else so maybe they will improve a little, possibly.

Personally, I don't think this warrants a #1 preseason ranking but they do recruit well and I'm sure there are plenty of top players vying for those vacancies, they will just be green.

Of course, PENN STATE won the B1G and lost only Godwin (3rd round) in the draft, 4 defensive starters to free agency (Golden, Bell, Schwan, and Sickells), and it appears Reid to injury. So our biggest question mark is on defense. However, it does appear that we are loaded with options at DE and DB and are finally healthy at LB. I'm not sure that the defense isn't going to improve slightly in year 2 under Pry. Our offense is loaded, experienced, and deep.

Now I could be wrong and we'll see how it plays out on the field, but I think that the returning B1G champs with fewer and less highly regarded losses in their lineup would deserve a little more respect. It is basically assumed by the entire national media that Ohio St beats us this year, like we aren't even going to show up. I'm pretty sure our players are looking at this disrespect and plan on showing up.

Last edited:
Reactions: psuno1 and Howie'81
Last year, Ohio State had the same great defensive line, and Clemson scored 31 points.

Exactly. Same defensive line as last year, and Penn State had 10 more sacks than OSU for the season.

Same defensive line as last year, listening to Herbie talk about how dominant they were in the first half of our game against Ohio State. How did that turn out? Penn State 6 sacks, Ohio State 1.

AR-310249957.jpg&q=80&MaxW=550&MaxH=400&RCRadius=5

AR-161029971.jpg&q=80&MaxW=550&MaxH=400&RCRadius=5
9626575-j.t.-barrett-ncaa-football-ohio-state-penn-state-850x560.jpg
102616_jason-cabinda_1200.jpg

21747415-standardjpg-9e9c90fa47645b1b.jpg

Reactions: psuno1 and Hotshoe
DUNNELLONFLBUCK said:
Penn State had 14 total yards in the whole 4th quarter. Ohio State was up 14 to start the 4th quarter. Not bad after having to play a tough overtime night game at Whisky. Talk about and enjoy that game from last year all you want , you have 2 more months left and then its back to earth. See you in Columbus. :p

In reality, if OSU didn't get some of those fluke plays early in the game to keep them in it... the game would have been over much earlier.

PSU had a 90 yard touchdown drive that began with 14:40 left in the 4th quarter. How exactly did you come up with 14 total 4th quarter yards?

OSU math... classes are pointless!

Reactions: BoulderFish
I'm not surprised. They will have a good DL, return a ton, get PSU/OU at home, and UM is replacing 17 starters. It's a logical pick, but it doesn't mean they get the trophy. Paper is way thicker than some of the skin around here. If the game was in HV this year again...I think plenty would give PSU the advantage. The games will still be played.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised or cares. PSU and OSU are both getting plenty of love this preseason and both deserve it.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
USC is overrated. They beat us in the Rose Bowl with a great QB, great Oline and great receivers. Two thirds of that have graduated and will be playing in the NFL this year. I think Washington will win the Pac12 again this year.

USC is overrated. They beat us in the Rose Bowl with a great QB, great Oline and great receivers. Two thirds of that have graduated and will be playing in the NFL this year. I think Washington will win the Pac12 again this year.

And a whole lot of luck.

The 2017 Buckeyes will go as Barrett goes. He, frankly, didn't look good at all the 2nd half of 2016 --- which gives me caution on being overly high on OSU.

You obviously blacked out drunk for this:

• 1st and 10 at PSU 10
    (14:40 - 4th) Trace McSorley pass complete to Mike Gesicki for 16 yds to the PnSt 26 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at PSU 26
    (14:10 - 4th) Saquon Barkley run for 37 yds to the OhSt 37 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at OSU 37
    (13:52 - 4th) Trace McSorley pass complete to Saeed Blacknall for 35 yds to the OhSt 2 for a 1ST down

• 1st and Goal at OSU 2
    (13:40 - 4th) Trace McSorley pass incomplete to Mike Gesicki

• 2nd and Goal at OSU 2
    (13:32 - 4th) Trace McSorley run for 2 yds for a TD, (Tyler Davis KICK)

Yep.

OSU left Gesicki wide open on the 1st play. Lucky for OSU that Gesicki fell down, otherwise he gains 40 instead of 16.

Then Barkley runs for 37. Ran right past Bosa, who was frozen by McSorley's well-executed read option. Barkley also ran right past Malik Hooker, left him tackling air.

Then Blacknall beats All-American CB Lattimore on the big pass play down to the 2.

The OSU defense --- including a TRIO of guys who have been/will be 1st-round NFL draft picks --- simply got outplayed on that drive.

Reactions: psuno1
Rush yards. Talking D-line

Barkley ran for 37 yards on 1 play in that game-turning drive in the early 4th quarter. All-Americans Bosa and Hooker both got outplayed by PSU on that play. (then another All-American, Lattimore, got burned on the Blacknall pass on the next play)

But, yes, you are right. Include the kneel-downs, and it's 14 rushing yards for the quarter.

PSU had a 90 yard touchdown drive that began with 14:40left in the 4th quarter. Hiw exactly did you come up with 14 total 4th quarter yards?
Sorry instead of just 14 yards you had 39
Wait a minute. Are you saying that all 85 of those superior athletes became fatigued in the 4th quarter because they played "extra innings" 8 days earlier? Hahahahahahahahaha. You sound more like a wolverine than a buckeye.
Getting beat up by Meatchickan at night then having to come back to play the Bucks is a tall task for the boys as you'll see

How does 90 become 39?

PSU had 4 fourth quarter possessions. They scored on 3 of them, took a knee to end the game on the fourth. PSU outscored OSU 17-0 in the fourth quarter. Remove the points that resulted from special teams plays, we still outscored you 7-0. But we can talk about yards gained all day if that's what's important to you.

Possession 1. 90 yard driver for a TD
Possession 2. began on OSU 28 yard line after punt blocked. Went 12 yards for a Field Goal.
Possession 3. Blocked field goal for a TD
Possession 4. Took 3 kneel downs to end the game.

I still remember Michigans' national best defensive line from last year. How did they finish again? There is more to the game than having a great defensive line. Last year, Ohio State had the same great defensive line, and Clemson scored 31 points. Basing a season on one position group seems like hyperbole. Schiano added to the hype yesterday calling them better than the 2012 Tampa Bay Bucs defense, which agains seems mighty lofty. Frankly, I think Pitt had one of the best offensive lines in the game last year(fortunately the best two are gone this year), and they lost 5 games. It's a team game, not a position group game, believe it or not there will be many plays this year when their D line doesn't get home, and when that doesn't happen, how will their new secondary hold up? They play the games for a reason.
I returned from Columbus yesterday and had to listen this story about OSU's dline ad nauseum. To me it seems like something you would NOT want to say in public. First off you don't want to give other teams locker room material. Secondly you want to keep your team motivated and hungry. This is just feeding their smuggness.
BTW, is Columbus the king of chain restaurants? There's every imaginable chain and very few non-chains. Did like Condado's thought for tacos though ... cool college place.

Sorry, but wrong again Suckeye dipwad - go figure! Again, PSU only had 3 possessions in the 4th Quarter and here are the actual stats from those possessions directly from the play-by-play scorebook:

So that would be 89 yards for PSU in the 4th Quarter even including their last possession where they took over the ball on downs from a completely futile duhO$U offense that the PSU defense held scoreless for the final 25 minutes of the game which included duhO$U's last 6 possessions.....allowing PSU to completely dominate your beloved hapless Suckeyes 17-0 over the span and go into victory formation for their last possession and take knees accounting for the -13 yards of PSU's last possession which you think accrues to some fantastic defensive effort from your hapless and embarrassing Suckeyes that got pounded 31-0 by Clemson....LMFAO, you're a real treat Suckeye-boy, but sadly typical of your slack-jaw, poor-sport b1g $hithole bretheren..

Sorry . D
Sorry, but wrong again Suckeye dipwad - go figure! Again, PSU only had 3 possessions in the 4th Quarter and here are the actual stats from those possessions directly from the play-by-play scorebook:

So that would be 89 yards for PSU in the 4th Quarter even including their last possession where they took over the ball on downs from a completely futile duhO$U offense that the PSU defense held scoreless for the final 25 minutes of the game which included duhO$U's last 6 possessions.....allowing PSU to completely dominate your beloved hapless Suckeyes 17-0 over the span and go into victory formation for their last possession and take knees accounting for the -13 yards of PSU's last possession which you think accrues to some fantastic defensive effort from your hapless and embarrassing Suckeyes that got pounded 31-0 by Clemson....LMFAO, you're a real treat Suckeye-boy, but sadly typical of your slack-jaw, poor-sport b1g $hithole bretheren..
Sorry . Didn't mean to hurt your feelings snowflake

You put another half-hour on the clock,osu wins that game.

Why only another half-hour?

Let's put another EIGHT HOURS on the clock! Another EIGHT DAYS!

Football forever!

Gnat --- this is not Nam, this is football. There are rules. 60 Minutes. That's the time limit, anything else is over the line.

Exactly. Same defensive line as last year, and Penn State had 10 more sacks than OSU for the season.

Same defensive line as last year, listening to Herbie talk about how dominant they were in the first half of our game against Ohio State. How did that turn out? Penn State 6 sacks, Ohio State 1.

Well done, love those pics!

AR-310249957.jpg&q=80&MaxW=550&MaxH=400&RCRadius=5

AR-161029971.jpg&q=80&MaxW=550&MaxH=400&RCRadius=5
9626575-j.t.-barrett-ncaa-football-ohio-state-penn-state-850x560.jpg
102616_jason-cabinda_1200.jpg

21747415-standardjpg-9e9c90fa47645b1b.jpg

Penn State had 14 total yards in the whole 4th quarter. Ohio State was up 14 to start the 4th quarter. Not bad after having to play a tough overtime night game at Whisky. Talk about and enjoy that game from last year all you want , you have 2 more months left and then its back to earth. See you in Columbus. :p
First of all, PSU was down 17 going into the 4th not 14. Another stupid ass Buckeye fan that can't accept that there's a new sheriff in town. Yeah, we'll see you in Columbus. Barkley torched your vaunted D for 194 yards last time he was there. Just think what will happen this year with a real o-line in front of him. You guys better be ready or you'll be going down again. Doesn't matter if it's in Columbus or Schenectady.

the local CLE paper just quoted Greg Schiano as saying that tOSU's D-line is better than the ones he had when he was coaching in the NFL (Tampa and Chicago).

Those d-lines wouldn't be able to tackle 26 either

I like Cowherd and he mentioned PSU's run last year multiple times as well as acknowledged the program was back.

As far as the 2 best coaches comment...Franklin needs to win again in the minds of these national guys.
What minds? First we had to hear about lack of "signature" wins, whatever that means. I still haven't seen a consistent definition of it. Okay, so the media says he got his signature win finally against #2 Ohio State. So now the mantra is going to be, "Oh Yeah? Let's see you do it again." Idiots, the lot of them.

Reactions: Option Bob

Getting beat up by Meatchickan at night then having to come back to play the Bucks is a tall task for the boys as you'll see

Which part of Michigan's team is going to "beat us up"? Would that be the defense that loses 9 of 11 starters? Or would that be the offense that loses 7 of 11 starters? I'm trying to figure that part out right now, please inform me of how that is going to happen with 4 new starters on an offensive line that is ranked no higher than 7th in the Big Ten in preseason media services? Let's add in the question of just how "beat up" Ohio State was last year heading into Beaver Stadium. A 14 point lead after three quarters, starters playing the whole game, and no injuries.

I find it interesting that the biggest argument Ohio State has this year as to why they'll win this game, has to do with Penn State playing Michigan the week before and Ohio State having a week off, rather than an outright talent advantage. If I were Ohio State, I'd worry about Indiana before anyone else. Richard Lagow might be the best passer in the nation and he has two of the best receivers in the Big Ten and nearly everything in that secondary for Ohio State played on Friday last year, not Saturday.

What minds? First we had to hear about lack of "signature" wins, whatever that means. I still haven't seen a consistent definition of it. Okay, so the media says he got his signature win finally against #2 Ohio State. So now the mantra is going to be, "Oh Yeah? Let's see you do it again." Idiots, the lot of them.

If I were a Buckeye fan (God forbid) --- I WOULD think that way. I WOULD have that "mantra."

We've never beaten OSU in back-to-back years in 24 years of B1G football. OSU fans understandably believe "well, we lose to Penn State every once in awhile. But it doesn't happen that often, and every loss is just a one-off loss. They cannot beat us consistently. The last 24 years of history shows that."

Want to keep OSU fans from having that attitude? Win on October 28th. They'll have to grudgingly come to terms with their multiple-game losing streak to their conference-mate to the east, a conference-mate that isn't going to be going away either.

It's another bucknutt that probably didn't even watch the game.. likes to talk smack about something she knows nothing about. Probably just a casual fan that knows OSU has been good for awhile... kinda like 80% of Steeler fans.

well, sorry Howie, but Penn State did trail 21-7 in 4th quarter. The 90-yard drive cut it to 21-14 ... blocked punt set up FG for 21-17 ... then the blocked FG and return for 24-21. Other than that, you are on target with everything you have said to these arrogant buckeyes.

Those d-lines wouldn't be able to tackle 26 either

I agree. Our offense is actually designed to that the DL out of the play as much as possible. So you get a lot of ways to attack the perimeter, flat, flare and intermediate zones. Lots of them are quick hitters like Houston did to us in the bowl game in 2011. It makes the game more finesse and less brawn. tOSU would argue that they can control the LOS with only five guys, giving them more coverage with the other six.

An interesting matchup challenge for tOSU.

If I were a Buckeye fan (God forbid) --- I WOULD think that way. I WOULD have that "mantra."

We've never beaten OSU in back-to-back years in 24 years of B1G football. OSU fans understandably believe "well, we lose to Penn State every once in awhile. But it doesn't happen that often, and every loss is just a one-off loss. They cannot beat us consistently. The last 24 years of history shows that."

Want to keep OSU fans from having that attitude? Win on October 28th. They'll have to grudgingly come to terms with their multiple-game losing streak to their conference-mate to the east, a conference-mate that isn't going to be going away either.
We might not beat them Oct. 28th. Or maybe we will. But the handwriting's on the wall that we're going to beat them a fair amount going forward. I posted earlier today, that if people want to look at the last 15 years or so of history to measure this Penn State program, they're making a big mistake. This isn't the same program right now. First Bill O'Brien and now James Franklin have revived the program and brought it into the modern age of football. It's clear to anyone with even a modicum of discernment.

well, sorry Howie, but Penn State did trail 21-7 in 4th quarter. The 90-yard drive cut it to 21-14 ... blocked punt set up FG for 21-17 ... then the blocked FG and return for 24-21. Other than that, you are on target with everything you have said to these arrogant buckeyes.

Agree...but you've then also got to give deference to the snapped ball over the punter's head and some turnovers by PSU early that spotted tOSU a 10-0 lead.

I read too fast. My mind was thinking he said we scored 14, but you are right on every count.

We might not beat them Oct. 28th. Or maybe we will. But the handwriting's on the wall that we're going to beat them a fair amount going forward. I posted earlier today, that if people want to look at the last 15 years or so of history to measure this Penn State program, they're making a big mistake. This isn't the same program right now. First Bill O'Brien and now James Franklin have revived the program and brought it into the modern age of football. It's clear to anyone with even a modicum of discernment.

I agree --- PSU football will, on the whole, be considerably better over the next 15 years than it was in the last 15 years of the previous era (1997-2011).

I still want the 2nd straight win vs. OSU. It would be monumentally huge. Among other things, those folk out yonder on I-70 will become less smug.

Reactions: Howie'81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT