ADVERTISEMENT

Couple comments about OSU

BRETTPSU

Sep 18, 2002
Side note......My tickets are pretty close to the visiting bench so I get to see some fan/coach/wrestler interaction.

1)Tom Ryan might have been an ass during the meet but before the start he was having fun with many random PSU fans. Took a few pics and selfies with some students.

2)When checking out the packed wrestling room, I was stuck standing in the middle of the hall when Keshawn Hayes taps me on the shoulder and said "excuse me sir" and then "thank you" with a big smile on his face. Just seemed like a genuine nice kid.

3)I walked by Kyle Snyder in between matches and congratulated him on Yarygin. He smiled, said thank you and gave me a thumbs up. I noticed him giving the thumbs up quite a few times through the night. Just guessing quite a few fans also congratulated him.

4)The lion mascot was mocking Kollin Moore warming up before his match. Kollin seemed to get a kick out of it.

5)The Jordan's just seem like good guys. Kids you would want your daughter bringing home.

6)It's hard to say this because they do wrestle for tOSU but they really did seem like good kids and I wish them the best going forward except if it has anything to do with PSU.

Well they are certainly not Rutgers then are they. I am sure Snyder now has new sense of respect for us now though.

Thank you for posting some game time info about the OSU team because their fans were not as gracious on their page as someone else posted a link. Incredible vulgar, no sportsmanship, etc. F PSU, hate PSU, respect UM but hate PSU was the mantra all night.
It's good to hear their team is not as wildly competitive in a bad way as their fans, of their fans on that site I must add as all fans are not bad for any school. Their birthright attitude in this conference disgusts me living in this so called state, can't wait to get back to PA!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I think our Blue and White glasses tend to want to make the opponents into bad guys. I only saw the dual on TV, but I was impressed with the demeanor of the tOSU wrestlers. While Tom Ryan seemed a bit out of control during the dual, I noticed that he was cordial during the after-dual handshakes and even gave extra congratulations to Anthony Cassar.

The kids and the team seems very classy. I do not know why Ryan gets all the bad press. It seems like Iowa and PSU are always ragging on him. He has put something special together at tOSU and he shows a lot of vision and sees the big picture. He got excited during the dual meet, but so what. He has passion for his team.

I think he and Cael share a lot of the same philosophies. Maybe they articulate them differently, but they are both excellent at what they do. I loved it when he spoke of reaching each person's genetic potential. What a great way to say that he wants his wrestlers to be the best they can be and not to focus only on winning.

When you are the number one team and have won 6 of 7 championships, showing a little respect to the other teams and coaches goes a long way to make people think you have class. Some people on this forum may want to consider that before they start pointing out the perceived flaws of others. IMHO

I do not know why Ryan gets all the bad press.
-Duals should calculate into points at nationals
-Duals matter, unless you need to protect seeds
-Call lunger timeouts, if your wrestler needs one
-Make lame excuses after a wrestler/your team loose a match
-Criticize the venue used, when you know Big creates the schedules
-Make a spectacle out of yourself, berating your own wrestlers

I’m sure I am missing a few.

Last edited:
The kids and the team seems very classy. I do not know why Ryan gets all the bad press. It seems like Iowa and PSU are always ragging on him. He has put something special together at tOSU and he shows a lot of vision and sees the big picture. He got excited during the dual meet, but so what. He has passion for his team.

I think he and Cael share a lot of the same philosophies. Maybe they articulate them differently, but they are both excellent at what they do. I loved it when he spoke of reaching each person's genetic potential. What a great way to say that he wants his wrestlers to be the best they can be and not to focus only on winning.

When you are the number one team and have won 6 of 7 championships, showing a little respect to the other teams and coaches goes a long way to make people think you have class. Some people on this forum may want to consider that before they start pointing out the perceived flaws of others. IMHO
I agree. I think Tom gets unfairly criticized because we get a little tainted because its OSU,our key competition for NCAA championship. The isn't any other team I want to see PS beat more than OSU, except maybe Iowa too. The guys on his team are very good and appear to be overall a good group of people.

Well said although IMHO Ryan brings the bad press on himself. His behavior during this dual way over the top and he should have been penalized a team point or two.

Ohio State wrestles hard.
Ryan has indeed put together a damn strong program and his kids for the most part wrestle hard. It appeared there was some gassing Saturday, but they improve their conditioning progressively. Their conditioning will be noticeably improved at B1Gs and NCAAs.
OSU kids do not appear to get into trouble. OSU kids seem to like the program and staff, they stay around and remain loyal.
They promote the sport.

The only negative is Tommy whines too much and he is a bit conniving, manipulative and IMO a touch dishonest about "duals matter" and the BS about the connection to NCAAs.

Oh yeah, they are Ohio State. There is always that.

Wrestlers are always competetive and don't like losing but in my experience most wrestlers are gracious and respectful of others. There are surely examples of the opposite but for the most part wrestlers are taught to be good sportsmen.

Despite being conditioned to see red when I see The Scarlet and Gray, to a man their team all seem like good kids who represent their school with class. I'm not crazy about Ryan's in match antics, and I believe he could have even been penalized on Saturday, but he handled himself very well before and after the match. Tom was gracious in defeat despite being disappointed in the interview posted by Track Wrestling. I don't like OSU, but their team has my respect. Rutgers and the s*** that was pulled in Piscataway is something altogether different. I dislike their coach, and can not respect a team that acts the way that they do on and off the mat. PD3 would have fit in great with that bunch.

-Duals should calculate into points at nationals
-Duals matter, unless you need to protect seeds
-Call lunger timeouts, if your wrestler need one
-Make lame excuses after a wrestler/your team loose a match
-Criticize the venue used, when you know Big creates the schedules
-Make a spectacle out of yourself, berating your own wrestlers

I’m sure I am missing a few.
- "Not how we would have handled it" and various other smarmy comments.
- Tweeting to complain about the NCAA Tournament refs. He's head of the coaches' association.
- Sending that tweet from Aruba, the Monday after nationals. Maybe should've been in Columbus with the team ... what if they had won?
- Negative recruiting.
- Making his own son forfeit first round of B10s, to be fresh for first round of consolations.

That said, I don't think he's necessarily a bad guy, just hyper competitive and lets that get to him sometimes. Does some things I don't care for, but I don't think he's dirty or encourages dirty actions. Just someone who sets himself up to be mocked, often for lack of self-awareness.

Side note......My tickets are pretty close to the visiting bench so I get to see some fan/coach/wrestler interaction.

1)Tom Ryan might have been an ass during the meet but before the start he was having fun with many random PSU fans. Took a few pics and selfies with some students.

2)When checking out the packed wrestling room, I was stuck standing in the middle of the hall when Keshawn Hayes taps me on the shoulder and said "excuse me sir" and then "thank you" with a big smile on his face. Just seemed like a genuine nice kid.

3)I walked by Kyle Snyder in between matches and congratulated him on Yarygin. He smiled, said thank you and gave me a thumbs up. I noticed him giving the thumbs up quite a few times through the night. Just guessing quite a few fans also congratulated him.

4)The lion mascot was mocking Kollin Moore warming up before his match. Kollin seemed to get a kick out of it.

5)The Jordan's just seem like good guys. Kids you would want your daughter bringing home.

6)It's hard to say this because they do wrestle for tOSU but they really did seem like good kids and I wish them the best going forward except if it has anything to do with PSU.
Thanks for the info. My only comment regarding #5:

If my daughter brought BoJo home, I'd be asking her why is she dating a married man with kids! :)

Love upclose information like this. Wrestlers on a whole seem to be well adjusted with the exception of a few here and there.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Thank you for posting some game time info about the OSU team because their fans were not as gracious on their page as someone else posted a link. Incredible vulgar, no sportsmanship, etc. F PSU, hate PSU, respect UM but hate PSU was the mantra all night.
It's good to hear their team is not as wildly competitive in a bad way as their fans, of their fans on that site I must add as all fans are not bad for any school. Their birthright attitude in this conference disgusts me living in this so called state, can't wait to get back to PA!
I think I've only been to a few other big ten message boards, but I think it would be fair to interpolate and say that they are all cesspools filled with hate, piss, and feces. I think this most often comes about when fans of other programs visit the board of their rival. This includes our own McAndrew board, where visiting fans are the recipients of foul and unsavory responses to their trolling or mere innocent comment. The moral of the story is that we shouldn't judge a fan base solely by their message boards.

I think our Blue and White glasses tend to want to make the opponents into bad guys. I only saw the dual on TV, but I was impressed with the demeanor of the tOSU wrestlers. While Tom Ryan seemed a bit out of control during the dual, I noticed that he was cordial during the after-dual handshakes and even gave extra congratulations to Anthony Cassar.

It was also nice to see some football players there supporting the team. I picked out Micah Parsons, Will Fries and Jesse Luketa. Pretty sure more guys but couldn't quite make them out.

Talking to a guy in the concession line who said Ben Askren was sitting 4 seats down from him.

I agree that

I agree that the OSU kids seem top notch. Certainly nothing like what you get from Iowa or Rutgers.

I am sure tantrum is a decent enough fellow but I really gave a hard time getting this out of my head

Reactions: NittanyChris
Tan Trum Tom should teach technique more and tweet less. JMO.

I believe is team was the best dual meet team ever........but I only have been following wrestling since 2009;)

Reactions: LHavenlion
Tan Trum Tom should teach technique more and tweet less. JMO.

I believe is team was the best dual meet team ever........but I only have been following wrestling since 2009;)

I think I like your spelling (three words, all capitalized) better than my previous proposal.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I think I like your spelling (three words, all capitalized) better than my previous proposal.
Vark, I was going to add a P to the second word, but was afraid folks from all walks of life would take it personal.......in a way other than all in good F-N!

Go to the Ohio Wrestling Forum where you have to have your full/real name listed when you post. That was very normal overall and the only thing I noticed remotely negative was someone that posted we didn't give them any tickets at all.

Go to the Ohio Wrestling Forum where you have to have your full/real name listed when you post. That was very normal overall and the only thing I noticed remotely negative was someone that posted we didn't give them any tickets at all.

That board is hands down the best board in regards to civility. Just wish there was more activity on there.

Reactions: SetonHallPirate
Vark, I was going to add a P to the second word, but was afraid folks from all walks of life would take it personal.......in a way other than all in good F-N!

Good god man!! For the love of all that is not felli!! Talk about leading us down the mother of all rat holes!!

That board is hands down the best board in regards to civility. Just wish there was more activity on there.
Too bad using your real name doesn't preclude their coaches from making asses of themselves.

Jaggers tonight whined on Twitter that PSU gets favorable calls from the refs.

I try not to get into it on boards, even though some can make one's blood boil, especially when they bring up JS. That said, most athletes in all collegiate sports get along. That's certainly true in wrestling. The idiots are usually the wonder boys on internet boards. Then you have the whining and slush fund bs that's incessant on one particular board. Those same one's claim to get banned here all the time. This is one board that banning is rarified air. It simply doesn't happen hardly at all. Thankfully athletes aren't like this very often.

When you are the number one team and have won 6 of 7 championships, showing a little respect to the other teams and coaches goes a long way to make people think you have class. Some people on this forum may want to consider that before they start pointing out the perceived flaws of others. IMHO[/QUO

I watched the flow into to PSU match. Bo Jordan lower

I saw that extra congratulations pat to Cassar and think I saw him slipping him a note saying that if he wanted to transfer they would make room for him. (I'm just kidding of course)

Too bad using your real name doesn't preclude their coaches from making asses of themselves.

Jaggers tonight whined on Twitter that PSU gets favorable calls from the refs.
If Jaggers is 1/2 as snide and cuntish in person as he is on twitter, he’d be quite the ahole to be around. He maybe should spend less time on twitter and more time instructing his guys in mat wrestling.

The ticket office for the Bryce Jordan matches had my tickets across the aisle from the visiting team fans. The nicest and most civil fans were from Ohio State, the worst were Iowa fans. Some Iowa fans bitched about everything except the pitch of the ref's whistle.

After the Bryce Ohio State match Kyle Snyder come over to the section and and his family and fans and we had the chance to congratulate him on his World Championship in Las Vegas that was the previous September. He spoke to us for a while as we traveled to Vegas to see him win his first Worlds at age 19. You couldn't meet a nicer person.

If Jaggers is 1/2 as snide and cuntish in person as he is on twitter, he’d be quite the ahole to be around. He maybe should spend less time on twitter and more time instructing his guys in mat wrestling.
If his skin were any thinner, he might bleed from standing in a light breeze.

Reactions: lionlover
My experience from coaching at all levels through college is that most of the kids are awesome. It's the adults that are a pain in the ass ...
Not that college is youth sports, having coached youth sports for a long time, I can honestly say the biggest problem in youth sports is the adults.

Reactions: papa_ed
Very well said. If you look at the 174, 184 and 197 pound matches from Saturday night, Ohio State had the #2, #3 and #1 ranked wrestlers in the country. They all lost or gave up a bonus point because they could not get off the bottom in the 3rd period. Martin gave up 2 back ups at the buzzer. BoJo and Moore got ridden like mules the last minute of the match...BoJo and Moore both look a lot stronger than Hall and Cassar...how is the deadlift thing working out for Ohio State.

Tom obviously cares deeply about his kids. They're tremendously talented and salt of the Earth.

To me, where Cael differentiates himself is the mental game. The fancy bus, the robes, the Tweets, the motivational pre-match platitudes--these all introduced external pressures to win. Snyder has the mental toughness to typically not let the moment get too big, but how many 18-22yo can do that? I'm not trying to call out the kids, but we saw several buckeyes just quit at some point during their bouts on Saturday. Contrast that with what we've seen out of Schnupp this year. Very rarely do we see a kid in the blue and white stop trying to score/improve, no matter the lead or circumstance. Outsiders think all the talk about gratitude and fun is window dressing. I think it's the deepest core of the PROGRAM.

you know, gotta hand Nick N some credit. He did get beat. But - did anyone see him not present himself during the entire match? Even when Snyder was trying to catch his breath Nick moved forward to engage. He certainly was not running to prevent a major. Hats off to Nick!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT