ADVERTISEMENT

Couple comments about OSU

I thought that the Iowa dual showed some chinks in OSU's armor. Turns out that it did. I think some of them thought they had it in the bag after Nolf got injured, but PSU rallied together and willed themselves to victory and it all started at 125.

you know, gotta hand Nick N some credit. He did get beat. But - did anyone see him not present himself during the entire match? Even when Snyder was trying to catch his breath Nick moved forward to engage. He certainly was not running to prevent a major. Hats off to Nick!
Nick had to avoid losing by 13 or more points for Ohio State to win the match. You can bet he knew that, interestingly, Ryan said after the match Snyder had to win by 12.

Last year Nick lost 19-9 to Snyder and look horrible doing so. This year, basically all Nick had to do was avoid getting put on his back to win the match for PSU. No way Snyder was going to play catch and release to a 13 point win. When Nick got the first TD of the match, PSU basically had the match won. That is why Snyder went for the ill advised throw, he had no choice, he needed back points or probably a fall to win the dual.

Nick had to avoid losing by 13 or more points for Ohio State to win the match. You can bet he knew that, interestingly, Ryan said after the match Snyder had to win by 12.

Last year Nick lost 19-9 to Snyder and look horrible doing so. This year, basically all Nick had to do was avoid getting put on his back to win the match for PSU. No way Snyder was going to play catch and release to a 13 point win. When Nick got the first TD of the match, PSU basically had the match won. That is why Snyder went for the ill advised throw, he had no choice, he needed back points or probably a fall to win the dual.

i thought snyder needed an 8 point margin of victory for the major, then ohio state would win the tie breaker on total points scored? at least that's what they said during the broadcast.

i thought snyder needed an 8 point margin of victory for the major, then ohio state would win the tie breaker on total points scored? at least that's what they said during the broadcast.

They were wrong. We had 12 more total points scored than tOSU so he needed a 13 point win. If Snyder had won by 12 it would have gone to the next criteria, which is most nearfall points and we were well ahead on that one.

Tom obviously cares deeply about his kids. They're tremendously talented and salt of the Earth.

To me, where Cael differentiates himself is the mental game. The fancy bus, the robes, the Tweets, the motivational pre-match platitudes--these all introduced external pressures to win. Snyder has the mental toughness to typically not let the moment get too big, but how many 18-22yo can do that? I'm not trying to call out the kids, but we saw several buckeyes just quit at some point during their bouts on Saturday. Contrast that with what we've seen out of Schnupp this year. Very rarely do we see a kid in the blue and white stop trying to score/improve, no matter the lead or circumstance. Outsiders think all the talk about gratitude and fun is window dressing. I think it's the deepest core of the PROGRAM.

I will bet that the dual was the first time those kids had ever been in an environment as hostile as that. It was a great learning experience for them and I think it will lead to big dividends down the road. Kids as motivated as PSU and tOSU are always learning and growing and striving. IT is a fluid situation and it will be fun to watch and see how they (both teams) grow from this experience.

My guess is they gained ground on PSU because of the dual. The good news for PSU fans is that means they are behind you guys. Whether or not they catch up, is yet to be determined. It is going to be an exciting March!!

-Duals should calculate into points at nationals
-Duals matter, unless you need to protect seeds
-Call lunger timeouts, if your wrestler needs one
-Make lame excuses after a wrestler/your team loose a match
-Criticize the venue used, when you know Big creates the schedules
-Make a spectacle out of yourself, berating your own wrestlers

I’m sure I am missing a few.

If I go to the Iowa board, some people condemn Cael for stuff that he gets applauded for on this board. People see things differently and usually project their own thoughts and beliefs onto others. (Suriano situation is a perfect example)

It sounds like whining and crying when someone is bemoaning the team in front of them. It sounds classless when they are making fun of the teams behind them. Something to consider when you post.

None of us know the factors that go into the decisions these guys have to make. They have a lot going on and a lot of pressure. They have to make decisions that have unknown ramifications. Sometimes they are making their best guess.

In my mind if a coach is doing his best to do what is right by his athletes, he is ok in my book and I do not need to find reasons to criticize him. These guys put in a lot of hours and have the pressure of making decisions that will have lasting effects on young men's lives. That is why I find no fault with TnT, Ryan, Cael,, Koll, Dresser, or most of the other coaches.

If I go to the Iowa board, some people condemn Cael for stuff that he gets applauded for on this board. People see things differently and usually project their own thoughts and beliefs onto others. (Suriano situation is a perfect example)

It sounds like whining and crying when someone is bemoaning the team in front of them. It sounds classless when they are making fun of the teams behind them. Something to consider when you post.

None of us know the factors that go into the decisions these guys have to make. They have a lot going on and a lot of pressure. They have to make decisions that have unknown ramifications. Sometimes they are making their best guess.

In my mind if a coach is doing his best to do what is right by his athletes, he is ok in my book and I do not need to find reasons to criticize him. These guys put in a lot of hours and have the pressure of making decisions that will have lasting effects on young men's lives. That is why I find no fault with TnT, Ryan, Cael,, Koll, Dresser, or most of the other coaches.
Sorry to disagree. Most of these guys I have no idea how they run their program including Cael. We do get a feel based upon the type of person they bring into the program and the lack of off the mat drama. On the how they run the program, your right, hard to be critical of what we really do not know about.

OTOH, we can be critical of the demeanor of any coach during competition or how they respond to interview questions or there comments on social media. In that area, their is not much I like about Ryan. With Brands, I just wish he would tone down the matside antics. I do love his enthusiasm when he talks about wrestling.

Reactions: KCLion
They were wrong. We had 12 more total points scored than tOSU so he needed a 13 point win. If Snyder had won by 12 it would have gone to the next criteria, which is most nearfall points and we were well ahead on that one.

gotcha, thanks for clarifying. i did think it was odd that snyder would try that big throw if he only needed to win by 8. i figure he could win by 8 going catch and release without too much trouble.

Tom obviously cares deeply about his kids. They're tremendously talented and salt of the Earth.

To me, where Cael differentiates himself is the mental game. The fancy bus, the robes, the Tweets, the motivational pre-match platitudes--these all introduced external pressures to win. Snyder has the mental toughness to typically not let the moment get too big, but how many 18-22yo can do that? I'm not trying to call out the kids, but we saw several buckeyes just quit at some point during their bouts on Saturday. Contrast that with what we've seen out of Schnupp this year. Very rarely do we see a kid in the blue and white stop trying to score/improve, no matter the lead or circumstance. Outsiders think all the talk about gratitude and fun is window dressing. I think it's the deepest core of the PROGRAM.
Quitting may be the right word, though I have another thought about Saturday night's match and how the Buckeyes wrestled...THE HOME CROWD WAS A FACTOR.

Wasn't but 3 weeks ago we were talking here about how flat our team looked at Michigan, and here we are talking about the extraordinary effort of our guys at the tOSU Dual.

It's not far-fetched to think the home crowd and the environment contributed to the win. This isn't taking away from the guys performance at all, as being loose, engaged, and totally in the moment, wrestling the way they did when the crowd cheered as it did, is all them. Down 10, they could have folded the tent, and didn't. Shows the character of our wrestlers, and the environment created by the coaches.

I believe our guys are pretty loose all the time, thankful and grateful to wrestle in these big-time duals. It's why our guys show up at Big Ten's and NCAA's the way they do, too...no stress, no panic, just wrestle the way you train and the wins take care of themselves. It's a mantra, or core value (as nerfstate says).

Reactions: lookleft goright
R
... My guess is they gained ground on PSU because of the dual. The good news for PSU fans is that ...
My guess is they’re going to gain ground so much, they’re going to be so sick and tired of gaining ground.

— Wrestling Fan In Chief :)

Last edited:
There is a lot of talk on FRL today about the atmosphere Saturday.

for those not really thinking about this saturday night yet....

it never gets old

I personally like this post. Being a leader, regardless of whether it's a Head Wrestling Coach of the current #1 program in the country or not, attracts the worst in human nature...and attacks are not uncommon...even when the leader has unquestionable character, values, and principles.

Cael has to be true to himself, and not worry what others say. Here's a quote that I like, that explains my thoughts far better that I can...

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

-- T. D. Roosevelt

Apologize for being philosophical, but I know leaders that use this quote, among others, for inspiration.

Last edited:
I will bet that the dual was the first time those kids had ever been in an environment as hostile as that. It was a great learning experience for them and I think it will lead to big dividends down the road. Kids as motivated as PSU and tOSU are always learning and growing and striving. IT is a fluid situation and it will be fun to watch and see how they (both teams) grow from this experience.

My guess is they gained ground on PSU because of the dual. The good news for PSU fans is that means they are behind you guys. Whether or not they catch up, is yet to be determined. It is going to be an exciting March!!
Counter point would be that 9 of their starters (all except Hayes) have competed at nationals. 7 are returning All Americans (except Pletcher and Campbell). 3 are returning national champs, including one of the guys who had less fight at the end than at the beginning.

They're far from inexperienced. The crowd should not be impacting them. If it did, they have more problems.

Tan Tom is cut from Gable and the "tough guy" approach to our sport has seen a lot of success over the years (and our guys are, in fact, tough). Sports evolve, though, and I do think learning to manage your team's endocrine system is the next innovation. Testosterone and adrenaline undoubtedly play a huge role in success. It only stands to reason that if you can enter a match loose and looking for fun, you're going to maximize the potential payoff when you need those hormones to get/avoid bonus, etc. Mimicry in this regard will be tough to catch on in the sport though--the tough guy act is pretty deeply seated, and Cael pulls all of this off by simply being himself--and he's simply not very typical.

And heck yes, and especially for the above reason, IMO, Rec Hall helped tremendously. :)

They're far from inexperienced. The crowd should not be impacting them. If it did, they have more problems.

If you walk into a room where everyone is mad, you can feel it and you will probably be affected by that atmosphere to a degree. It takes a few times for that to happen to realize that you have to do what you do and not let the emotions of other people affect you. Most of us have never been in an arena where we had that many people cheering us on or wishing the worst for us. It effects you and it takes tome to overcome it.

Think of it this way - when your spouse is mad at you, you can feel it and it can have an affect on you. These are kids and just being at an NCAA championship does not mean you have had that much emotion directed upon you ever and especially by that many people. Now that they have experienced it, they have less problems and have learned from it. The Bigs are going to be special and I can't wait to watch them.

PS... it still was a great dual meet and I swear PSU is saving my marriage. My wife watched it with me -her first college meet ever that she would watch and she was squirming and twitching and getting nervous in the matches. Thanks PSU and Cael and Nolf and Retherford and NIckals and VJ and Cassar and, and , and and the rest.
She even loved Snyder. But if she didn't I would really have to question her taste in men. :)

If you walk into a room where everyone is mad, you can feel it and you will probably be affected by that atmosphere to a degree. It takes a few times for that to happen to realize that you have to do what you do and not let the emotions of other people affect you. Most of us have never been in an arena where we had that many people cheering us on or wishing the worst for us. It effects you and it takes tome to overcome it.

Think of it this way - when your spouse is mad at you, you can feel it and it can have an affect on you. These are kids and just being at an NCAA championship does not mean you have had that much emotion directed upon you ever and especially by that many people. Now that they have experienced it, they have less problems and have learned from it. The Bigs are going to be special and I can't wait to watch them.

PS... it still was a great dual meet and I swear PSU is saving my marriage. My wife watched it with me -her first college meet ever that she would watch and she was squirming and twitching and getting nervous in the matches. Thanks PSU and Cael and Nolf and Retherford and NIckals and VJ and Cassar and, and , and and the rest.
She even loved Snyder. But if she didn't I would really have to question her taste in men. :)
If I were to listen to Mr. Martin, the Nittany Lion Open crowd was plenty hostile to prepare his son.

More seriously: didn't nearly all of them wrestle at Iowa last year? That wasn't a hostile crowd? Not hostile enough to prep for Rec Hall?

One might ask if that's the real reason Tan Tom wanted the dual moved to BJC: because he wasn't sure his team could handle the extra intensity.

Reactions: dunkej01
It never gets old, watching the video brought a smile to my face, and I could watch it everyday from now through March and it will have the same effect. SO happy I was there to witness it in person. I still have not regained my voice, that was pretty much lost before the 125 bout was over!

Ryan isn't a bad guy.

But he is a goofball. And a bit of a jerk to people outside OSU.

First of all, he talks like a goofball. In his pre-meet interview, he said his "organization" is "chasing the genetic potential of each human being in our organization." Look. Who talks like that?

Second, the guy makes snap judgments. Just look at this Twitter war this past week. PSU couldn't host the dual meet at BJC, because of basketball, so OSU didn't have as many fans there as Ryan wanted. So what does Ryan do? Instead of studying the situation, he goes on Twitter and cries about how mean PSU is being.

He can simultaneously rest his starters from dual meets while criticizing other teams (PSU) for supposedly not caring about dual meets because he apparently can't think beyond his way.

Or he, in another interview, implies PSU isn't a "team" the same way OSU is. That makes no sense, of course. But to him it makes sense because he can't see that there's another way beyond his.

Now you can say that his passion for the team is good. But you've got to restrain and control the passions. Ryan doesn't really do that with his public persona. Which is why he comes across as a jagoff.

Ryan isn't a bad guy.

But he is a goofball. And a bit of a jerk to people outside OSU.

First of all, he talks like a goofball. In his pre-meet interview, he said his "organization" is "chasing the genetic potential of each human being in our organization." Look. Who talks like that?

Second, the guy makes snap judgments. Just look at this Twitter war this past week. PSU couldn't host the dual meet at BJC, because of basketball, so OSU didn't have as many fans there as Ryan wanted. So what does Ryan do? Instead of studying the situation, he goes on Twitter and cries about how mean PSU is being.

He can simultaneously rest his starters from dual meets while criticizing other teams (PSU) for supposedly not caring about dual meets because he apparently can't think beyond his way.

Or he, in another interview, implies PSU isn't a "team" the same way OSU is. That makes no sense, of course. But to him it makes sense because he can't see that there's another way beyond his.

Now you can say that his passion for the team is good. But you've got to restrain and control the passions. Ryan doesn't really do that with his public persona. Which is why he comes across as a jagoff.
This - and I’ve said similar things in the past. He reminds me of some Amway salesman or multi-level marketer. He tries way too hard and, hence, sounds desperate at times.

Reactions: tikk10
Now you can say that his passion for the team is good. But you've got to restrain and control the passions. Ryan doesn't really do that with his public persona. Which is why he comes across as a Jaggers.
FIFY

Reactions: Conewago
Wrestlers are always competetive and don't like losing but in my experience most wrestlers are gracious and respectful of others. There are surely examples of the opposite but for the most part wrestlers are taught to be good sportsmen.
Rutgers in general is not like that. They have been dirty as a team for a few years.

I personally like this post. Being a leader, regardless of whether it's a Head Wrestling Coach of the current #1 program in the country or not, attracts the worst in human nature...and attacks are not uncommon...even when the leader has unquestionable character, values, and principles.

Cael has to be true to himself, and not worry what others say. Here's a quote that I like, that explains my thoughts far better that I can...

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

-- T. D. Roosevelt

Apologize for being philosophical, but I know leaders that use this quote, among others, for inspiration.
Who is T. D. Roosevelt? Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. did not have a middle name. But I love the quote.

-- T. D. Roosevelt

That's a truly great quote from TR. It is SO true. It's very easy to criticize. To actually do something, and make the tough calls (when you can't know for sure what the outcome will be) is true leadership.

That's a truly great quote from TR. It is SO true. It's very easy to criticize. To actually do something, and make the tough calls (when you can't know for sure what the outcome will be) is true leadership.
I think that great quote will continue to be relatively well known, even after most people have forgotten about the trust busting and the national parks and even Mount Rushmore and even the teddy bear.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT