ADVERTISEMENT

Country Club question for the AKB....

OhioLion

Jul 11, 2001
Heart of America, Archbold, OH
Waynesborough Country Club. Is this pretty high class?
How (if you know and can) would you compare it to Inverness in Toledo?
Inverness has hosted Opens.
I honestly don’t know - wouldn’t know how to begin comparing - but, curious.
TIA

OL

I lived in Philly from 2002-07 and my boss was a member at Waynesborough. I played it 15 or so times over that period of time. I would say it is a nice club and a nice course. It is a step down from Merrion and Aeronmick. But I suspect it is also a step down in price from those clubs too. Probably not as much detail as you were looking for, but it seemed like a mid-high tier country club.

Reactions: OhioLion
Waynesborough Country Club. Is this pretty high class?
How (if you know and can) would you compare it to Inverness in Toledo?
Inverness has hosted Opens.
I honestly don’t know - wouldn’t know how to begin comparing - but, curious.
TIA

OL

If this is the club you are referring to in my link, it would be more of a affordable class club looking at the dues structure. It doesn't mean it isn't nice or a value, but it is not Inverness. Although not many are in that league.

This is the CC. Two of the guys I worked with belonged to Merion and one Waynesborough. Its a very nice club located in Paoli. Its not as stuffy as many Main Line clubs. Has a pool and a nice family vibe. I'm not a golfer, but I assume its in the middle of the pack for courses amongst Philly area private clubs.

I have played Waynesborough and it is a solid golf course. Good condition. At turn of century it hosted the Pennsylvania Classic, a PGA event that rotated each year between Philly area and Pittsburgh.

I would place it in a category just below the known "Bluebloods" of Merion, Philly Cricket, Philly CC and Aronomink. Excellent but not elite.

Can't vouch for Social atmosphere but should be right up there because of its location. Clubhouse, grounds and other infrastructure were very upper class.

Reactions: OhioLion
So, nice. Good atmosphere. But, not in the same class as Inverness is what I understand you to be saying.

Thanks

OL
My father was a teaching golf pro in Cleveland and I played junior tournament golf. Inverness is at the very top of golf courses in the US. It has hosted multiple US Opens and PGA championships. It is a Donald Ross design -- probably the most prestigious designer in the US. Golf Digest rated it as the 88th best golf course in the US in 2019 -- A very good rating for an older course that was not designed with new equipment in mind.

If you are joining for social purposes, in most instances a very high end course like Inverness would be better. On the other hand, you may just fit in well with Waynesborough. On my end, I dislike some of the newer, "prestigious" courses because they are just too hard for the average golfer. However, since you are not a golfer, the difficulty of the course is not a real consideration.

Inverness is supposed to host the Solheim Cup this year, which is the very prestigious women's equivalent of the Ryder Cup.

Doubt that is the Waynesboro he is referring to.
I played that Waynesboro in high school in a match. Shot 50 on the front, then 35 on the back to halve the match. I think I got into my opponents head.

I played that Waynesboro in high school in a match. Shot 50 on the front, then 35 on the back to halve the match. I think I got into my opponents head.
When you shoot a 35 in high school, you don't have to worry about getting into opponents head. You are going to win one way or another.

When you shoot a 35 in high school, you don't have to worry about getting into opponents head. You are going to win one way or another.
Ah, but the 50!!

We had a pretty good small school team. I was #6 or 7. On any given match day we often had 3 guys in the 70s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT