ADVERTISEMENT

Corso dogging Iowa

Yes you play to win, but the difficulty (or lack-there-of) of a schedule is a huge part of who a team is
The problem I have with subjectivity in rankings is that it has nothing to do with the game. Subjective rankings robbed PSU of championship recognition in at least 1968, 1969, and 1994.

This year, people will probably argue about which was the "better" loss- tOSU to Oregon at home or PSU to Iowa at Kinnick. It's all bullshit.
iu

The problem I have with subjectivity in rankings is that it has nothing to do with the game. Subjective rankings robbed PSU of championship recognition in at least 1968, 1969, and 1994.

This year, people will probably argue about which was the "better" loss- tOSU to Oregon at home or PSU to Iowa at Kinnick. It's all bullshit.
iu
Even with subjectivity those years, if we had the playoff (which we now do), the championship would have been settled on the field. It's not still 1968, 69, or 94 anymore, boomer ;-)

iu

All rankings, including computer generated, are subjective. The only way to eliminate that is to pre-define criteria for making the playoff. Might not get you the X best teams, but it eliminates the arguments.

Did any of the ‘talking heads’ diss Iowa fans for booing the injured players?
BTW, my OSU home boy buddy calls those folks Idiots Out Wandering Around and it really hit home last Saturday when they hypocritically did their ‘look at me waving to the sick children’ at the end of the quarter after booing a player that had a season ending injury.
Not everybody in Iowa is a dick but those fans and that asshat coach are!

Except the committee’s main focus is the number in the loss column.
Are you suggesting that they are one of the only 2 currently undefeated teams?

They are still receiving tons of credit for beating a bad Indiana team and Indiana State team. I guess this is why we should not have preseason rankings

you are what your record says you are

Not necessarily with rankings though. There are undefeated teams ranked 23 and 24, and undefeated power 5 teams at 11 and 16, so it’s not as though Iowa is automatically entitled to a #2 ranking because of their record. The voters obliviously don’t (and can’t) actually watch all the games, because Iowa has no business at 2.

Not necessarily with rankings though. There are undefeated teams ranked 23 and 24, and undefeated power 5 teams at 11 and 16, so it’s not as though Iowa is automatically entitled to a #2 ranking because of their record. The voters obliviously don’t (and can’t) actually watch all the games, because Iowa has no business at 2.
But they beat Indiana and Iowa State... Causing their initial inflated ranking. They need to take those games out of the equation now that the nation knows how weak those two teams are

Reactions: wbcincy
Are you suggesting that they are one of the only 2 currently undefeated teams?

They are still receiving tons of credit for beating a bad Indiana team and Indiana State team. I guess this is why we should not have preseason rankings

Im suggesting that historically the committee has picked the 4 teams with the fewest losses. Resume only comes into play after the at.

Im suggesting that historically the committee has picked the 4 teams with the fewest losses. Resume only comes into play after the at.
And Iowa is ahead of multiple other teams with the same record, with an arguably worse resume. The eye test tells you that Iowa is a top 15 team, but certainly not a top 5 (or probably even top 10) team.

Meh.....they might be #2 now. It won't last.
Agree, still early and it will all average out in the end. Whoever wins the East, will beat Iowa in the B1G championship game. I'm beginning to believe that this is the year that the B1G champ has 2 losses and gets left out of the playoffs

Reactions: PSUfiji
And Iowa is ahead of multiple other teams with the same record, with an arguably worse resume. The eye test tells you that Iowa is a top 15 team, but certainly not a top 5 (or probably even top 10) team.

I’m not taking about Iowa. I’m talking about the committee. You said a whole lot more goes into it than record and that’s why there is a committee. I’m saying the committee cares about record significantly more than anything else.

Reactions: wolve1972
I’m not taking about Iowa. I’m talking about the committee. You said a whole lot more goes into it than record and that’s why there is a committee. I’m saying the committee cares about record significantly more than anything else.
It absolutely does. But they also are not the second best undefeated team in college football

Agree, it's starts with the number of losses and expands from there. Almost impossible to make the playoffs with 2 or more losses if there are 4 or more undefeated or one-loss teams to choose from

If you are what your record says you are, UCF would be in the CFP multiple times
The overrated and over used Bill Parcells saying. Too funny. That coming from the same man who was highly superstitious.

Parcells was never really explicit about it, but the legendary coach had some “peculiarities.” While his superstitions weren’t always on display, they were always there in the background nonetheless.

Take his office for example. No matter what team he went to, a set of three decorative elephant carvings followed. He never really explained it, but there was something about the positioning of their trunks that brought him good luck. Those elephants sat behind his desk in every office that he had.

Or take the face down pennies for example. Parcells believed picking up a penny with the tails side up was bad luck, so he had a habit of placing face down pennies in his office or on the sidelines as if daring fate to intervene.

Whatever you do, don’t interrupt Parcells’ morning routine either. While coaching the Giants, he’d stop every morning on his way to work for a coffee at one particular coffee shop in New Jersey, drink it down, and then head to a second coffee shop before finally making his way to the practice field.

Perhaps the most pronounced example of his superstitious nature was the case of the red towelsent to him by friend Rich Conti prior to the Giants’ 1986 Super Bowl win.

As the story goes, the towel brought Conti, who was a high school football coach, luck during the 1985 and ’86 New Jersey state championship. He and Parcells met at a football camp a few years earlier, so when the Giants made it to that first Super Bowl, Conti figured his friend could use that luck. The two men have been trading the towel back and forth before every major game since.

Like it or not, that 2nd loss is the kiss of death for the playoffs.
Absolutely is. I was more-so referencing the 2016 season after seeing the wording of "this is the year". This isn't "the" year, bc it has happened before. Perhaps a 1 loss Iowa team that loses the B10 championship against a 2 loss B10 east team will take a highly undeserved CFP bid and embarrass the conference on the national stage?

THAT is why we need Iowa to get another loss against their "sisters of the poor" remaining schedule.

• Haha

iu
My daughter once finished second in an Irish dance competition…… to a girl that actually fell on her ass during her performance. It was baffling.

• Wow
It absolutely does. But they also are not the second best undefeated team in college football

Two different arguments. I agree they aren’t. I disagree that the committee cares about more than the record as long as you are p5.

Two different arguments. I agree they aren’t. I disagree that the committee cares about more than the record as long as you are p5.
We seem to be arguing two different things. The committee, first and foremost, cares about the win loss record. If the win loss record passes the test, then they can look at other stuff. However, there are still multiple undefeated teams. Iowa should not be the second-highest ranked undefeated tteam at this time. Unfortunately, they're not going to fall after a win and they play no one from here on out. That's the travesty of having them ranked number two right now. This situation may not be one that will "play itself out". Giving them the benefit of being a top 15 team still should be no losses from here on out. They do not have to be the second best team in the nation to beat the rest of their schedule

Said they aren't even #2 in the conference, let alone nation. It's the damn truth - love hearing it!

He said that they are number two in the nation, but not even in the top four of the Big Ten
They'll never pass the eye exam.

We seem to be arguing two different things. The committee, first and foremost, cares about the win loss record. If the win loss record passes the test, then they can look at other stuff. However, there are still multiple undefeated teams. Iowa should not be the second-highest ranked undefeated tteam at this time. Unfortunately, they're not going to fall after a win and they play no one from here on out. That's the travesty of having them ranked number two right now. This situation may not be one that will "play itself out". Giving them the benefit of being a top 15 team still should be no losses from here on out. They do not have to be the second best team in the nation to beat the rest of their schedule

The current rankings aren’t from the committee. That said the win over us gives them the best win of any undefeated team unfortunately. I think they end up with 2-3 losses. They drop 1-2 between Purdue, Nebraska, Wisconsin and then the big ten champ game to osu if they make it (wish I could say it was gonna be us). Wisconsin is better than their record, Nebraska can put up points and Purdue is 3-1 against them the last 4 years. So is northwestern actually (quite the powerhouse Kirk has built) but I won’t go that far.

So that makes us what, not a top 10 team or even a top 15 team, right? Our wins against Wisky and Auburn are not worth much now and we lost to Iowa so aren't we way over-ranked? These arguments against Iowa's ranking are worthless unless you apply the same standards to ALL teams, including PSU.

So that makes us what, not a top 10 team or even a top 15 team, right? Our wins against Wisky and Auburn are not worth much now and we lost to Iowa so aren't we way over-ranked? These arguments against Iowa's ranking are worthless unless you apply the same standards to ALL teams, including PSU.
We only lost to Iowa bc we had to play without a quarterback, and they STILL barely won.

FWIW, Auburn is #26. Certainly a borderline ranked team. But yes, I'm not claiming that we are a top team. However, we are a better football team than Iowa

Don't look now, but Auburn is looking like a team that will be ranked again next week if, and that's a big if, they keep it up. Up 14-3 at #17

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT