ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus Paycut/Layoff Thread

I'm an engineer for a company that designs/builds machinery for the plastics industry. We are still able to work at the office if we want/need to, but all the office people are working from home. Before it was mandated by the govt, they offered 10 extra sick days for anything related to the virus (you had it, you had to take off work to care for the kids off school, take care of someone who had it). Now we can still use that, but have to do the gov't one first. Outside of working from home, the only benefit difference is that they will no longer do the company 401k contribution.

Has your company laid off any employees as a result of Coronavirus?

Yesterday we let go of our receptionist, marketing coordinator and IT administrator. Unfortunate for them because they've been reporting to the office for two weeks in a building that housed another company's employee who tested positive while the rest of us were told to stay out of the office.

No not yet. We had furloughed a couple of inspectors early on because Constructions is slow in the first quarter.

That said it would not surprise me if our receptionist and clerk were let go. Also one CAD operator

One positive for our company is that we are paid hourly so if things get tough they can ask us to cut hours unless it’s billable.

I just worry about my job. I hate to sound selfish but it is what it is.

Reactions: LionJim

about 5% gone. rest are in holding pattern through April. if it keeps going into May will be about 10% more. then if June 20-30%. This fits the Wharton model that predicts over 30% by end of June if still in this mode. I think the Fed model shows over 60% unemployment by end of August if we continued. At some point though the US people will no longer allow the doctors to control this plan. My guess is if we are still using the shutdown mode in May, that there will be considerable discussion about the trade-offs. Nobody is going to tolerate the Fauci statement we will return when there are no new cases and no deaths. this is why the medical establishment should be all over whatever immediate treatments can be offered. vaccine too far away to stop this bleeding. BTW - have you seen any accountability for the failed model predictions?

Nope. In fact, we just signed a contract with T-Mobile and are hiring another 120 people as our revenue projections for the year doubled with that contract. Everyone has been able to work remotely with minimal issues. See, it’s not all that crazy to live in Florida!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT