ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats On Stealing Victory From The Jaws Of Defeat

I told you I'd be back. What can one say? Our Quarterback sucked and that was the difference in the game.

A moot point, but who is your clock person? They do know this is not the NFL and the clock stops after a 1st down until the ball is set?

Anyways, good luck the rest of the way and make sure to vote Republican in a week and a half.
Officials control the clock......DA

I like Ferentz and his style, which is very JoePaesque. That said, he did not coach this game well.
What did Ferentz do wrong? This was a classic Ferentz game.
His QB could not hit the broad side of a barn, so I assume you wanted him to pull Stanley?

Reactions: IANit
I told you I'd be back. What can one say? Our Quarterback sucked and that was the difference in the game.

A moot point, but who is your clock person? They do know this is not the NFL and the clock stops after a 1st down until the ball is set?

Anyways, good luck the rest of the way and make sure to vote Republican in a week and a half.

Take it somewhere else. All we heard this week was how the Iowa offense was going to have its way. Well, that didn’t happen. Stanley is a veteran, no excuses.

Your brethren were much more enjoyable than you this week. Stay on your own board next time.

Reactions: richmin3

Congrats to Pitt.

Reactions: Aloha T
His QB could not hit the broad side of a barn, so I assume you wanted him to pull Stanley?

That nonsense play at the end of the first half cost him points. I felt like they had one running back (have already forgotten his name) that we couldn’t stop, but he kept throwing it with a guy who couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn (or an Iowa grain silo). I thought even though the fake field goal got them a TD, it was not a good call. On Scott’s INT they should have called a timeout instead of having that play run.
He seemed to coach this game like they couldn’t win without some trickery which I don’t think was the case.

Reactions: richmin3

Your team is fortunate that it plays in the west division.

I’m making a general observation. Give both staffs equal talent and I believe Ferentz would win more often than not. That’s just my hunch...no data to back that up.

With better or even decent coaching they win today. They got lucky on the TD to the lineman on the fake field goal. They have mostly seniors on their OL. They have supposedly their best defense ever under Ferentz. I think you overate KF or you are taking a shot at JF or both.

I did not think it was a badly coached game. Our kids made plays at the end, unlike vs tOSU and MSU in similar situations. Good for them. Iowa made some plays too, just not quite enough. Nail-biter for both sides and a fun game.

Yes, there were some questionable calls by the Iowa coaching staff. In particular, the last minute before the half...Should have punted and pinned PSU deep. Instead, they go for the 1st down, fail, and allow us to tie up the game just before the half...that was a huge momentum boost that could have been avoided with prudent coaching.

Your team is fortunate that it plays in the west division.

Thank you for pointing this out. As the top teams eat each other alive in the East, the West has become this embarrassingly overrated division. If Iowa played in the East they would go 4-8 every year. Northwestern leading a division is a competitive disgrace to the conference.

Reactions: odshowtime
Also, thanks to Ferentz for going for it on 4th down prior to the half to give us excellent field position to have a minimal drive to kick a game tying field goal going into the locker room at half. Game ball to Pinegar!

Yes, there were some questionable calls by the Iowa coaching staff. In particular, the last minute before the half...Should have punted and pinned PSU deep. Instead, they go for the 1st down, fail, and allow us to tie up the game just before the half...that was a huge momentum boost that could have been avoided with prudent coaching.
Beyond explanation

I came away with only a couple solid notions after watching the game. Penn State plays to the level of their competition and Iowa stinks. They have no big play potential, their QB is terrible and their OC and his game plan would fit well in 1950.

That nonsense play at the end of the first half cost him points. I felt like they had one running back (have already forgotten his name) that we couldn’t stop, but he kept throwing it with a guy who couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn (or an Iowa grain silo). I thought even though the fake field goal got them a TD, it was not a good call. On Scott’s INT they should have called a timeout instead of having that play run.
He seemed to coach this game like they couldn’t win without some trickery which I don’t think was the case.

In his defense, on the Scott pick Ferentz was running down the sideline trying to get a timeout; refs could not hear him and he did not get it.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
With better or even decent coaching they win today. They got lucky on the TD to the lineman on the fake field goal. They have mostly seniors on their OL. They have supposedly their best defense ever under Ferentz. I think you overate KF or you are taking a shot at JF or both.
No shot at JF. I’ve always admired KF from many years ago when he regularly out schemed Penn State. I think he’s an outstanding coach overall and would have had a lot more success at a school where he could recruit at a very high level.

I guess it depends upon your perspective. To me, the only reason the game was close at the end was the gift fumble as PSU was about to score and go up 17 with ten minutes left in the 4th quarter. Your quarterback hurt his hand and missed some throws. Our quarterback hurt his knee (as a result, he couldn’t push off) and made some inaccurate throws as well, one you returned for a touchdown after we fumbled away a likely 17 point lead. No matter. You distinguish yourself by not trolling as many opposing fans come on here and do.

Just STFU whine-bag, full of excuses.Iowa football is solidly grounded in mediocrity for life! Stay in Iowa and please don't leave or breed.

Reactions: odshowtime

I cannot imagine anything going worse for PSU (two safeties against (which in addition to the 4 points gave Iowa great field position after the free kick), a defensive TD against, and a silly quasi-fake FG) and PSU still won.

Iowa isn't a good team, which is what I've been saying all week.

Reactions: psu2016 and TheGLOV
Ferentz knew we struggle with out of the box plays but he got too cute for his own good. The TD pass off the fake FG was horrendous awareness by PSU. Kudos to Ferentz on that one.

The third and one rainbow pass was a stroke of luck for PSU because of the overthrow but Iowa should have stuck with their strength there. Too cute by Ferentz on that one.

And the fake punt? What the hell was that? Way too cutesy by Ferentz on that one.

Overall though, PSU did its best to give the game away but Iowa wasn't good enough to grab it.

No shot at JF. I’ve always admired KF from many years ago when he regularly out schemed Penn State. I think he’s an outstanding coach overall and would have had a lot more success at a school where he could recruit at a very high level.

Ok fair enough. I have always found him to be a great guy but average coach. When you have the luxury of less pressure of being an underdog against quality opponents, I can see why you feel that way.

You’re a home favorite and you fumble two punt snaps for safeties, give up a fake FG touchdown, turn the ball over inside the opponent’s 10 and your own 10 (for a TD) in the final 12 mins and you don’t see how this team did everything it could to lose?

It’s a good win, in that they lucked out when playing pretty poorly in many areas. A deserved win, it’s not.

I think you are absolutely incorrect WestSideLion but, I respect you.

We’ll have to disagree. Penn State had 1st and goal with 12 mins left and a chance to go up 17. They turned it over.

They then gave up a pick six to let Iowa pull within 3. They then flopped away a terrific kick return and settled for only 3.

Iowa gave it back with an awful play, but I wouldn’t call what we saw dominant defense. Better than it’s been, yes.

Don’t get us started on the special teams gaffes. Thankfully, Penn State could out talent a good coaching staff today.

Did we win?
Yes we did. Now go to bed. SMH.

Already voted for all Democrats!

I think you are absolutely incorrect WestSideLion but, I respect you.
Don’t confuse me thinking that PSU played a “meh” game with me being unhappy they won. I see your point and it’s not without merit. We just disagree. You’re still a good egg...even if you support Liverpool. ;)

Reactions: TheGLOV

Aggressive play calling. It's bemoaned by the fan base when it isn't done; it's pissed on when it is.

Did we win?
Yes we did. Now go to bed. SMH.
I’m happy they won. If you’re on the team then I see why you’re touchy. I doubt the team (at least the leaders) will be feeling good about the state of things heading into practice this week. Grateful to have won? Yes. Realizing that when Iowa had first and goal with 3 mins left, it was essentially a coin flip? Sure. (PS - when Iowa got the first down at the PSU 3, they had a 54% probability of winning...dispute the advanced analytics all you want)

The good news is that complacency shouldn’t be an issue going into Michigan. That’s a good thing and I suspect the coaching staff will use this to their advantage this week.

Aggressive play calling. It's bemoaned by the fan base when it isn't done; it's pissed on when it is.
Aggressive, definitely...wise, questionable...Take the halftime lead and possess the ball to start the 2nd half...don't relinquish the momentum...the emotional boost that PSU got going into the locker room all square was priceless.

Stealing victory? We had two bad punt snaps for safeties, fumbled when we had a first and goal and threw a pick 6. Had both teams played up to their potential we’d have rolled you.

Reactions: nittnee and TheGLOV
In fairness, I too could not figure out why the clock ran immediately after our WR stepped out of bounds on that 1st down. I was yelling at my tv for him to stay in bounds there. Also, does'nt the clock stop on a first down regardless?
Your guys held all night, so I wont give it back, but I thought that strange too admittedly.
I was there and the clock did stop until the ball was set. That is the rule.

Reactions: ram2020 and TheGLOV
I’m happy they won. If you’re on the team then I see why you’re touchy. I doubt the team (at least the leaders) will be feeling good about the state of things heading into practice this week. Grateful to have won? Yes. Realizing that when Iowa had first and goal with 3 mins left, it was essentially a coin flip? Sure. (PS - when Iowa got the first down at the PSU 3, they had a 54% probability of winning...dispute the advanced analytics all you want)

The good news is that complacency shouldn’t be an issue going into Michigan. That’s a good thing and I suspect the coaching staff will use this to their advantage this week.

Fortunately the players don't think like you do for good reason. A football team is not grateful to win. Football is not Thanksgiving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT