ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats from this Hawkeye

Funny how hypocritical the holy rollers in every fan base are.

True. Fans act/ react from emotion so logic often takes a back seat, especially in the heat of the moment. Some of that is to be expected. That said, from what I saw on their boards and in twitter pics of banners hanging from houses in Iowa City- I'm not going to lose sleep over a 'shush' sign on the last play.

I am sure it is part of the IA game experience but the fans are too close to the players at IA. The players and coaches should have their space.

Great game by both teams. Go State!

I didn't like the shush taunt -- that was boneheaded. That's an inexperienced young kid not realizing what he has just been a part of. This is a game he'll be remembered for the rest of his life -- he will cringe every time he sees himself handling it with a lack of class. But keep in mind Johnson's a 19 or 20-year-old kid, he's a kid.

Same with McSorley's punt. Not cool but you have to cut him some slack given the physical beating he had been through. He was blowing off a lot of frustration. Imagine quarterbacking a team to 570 yards and netting only 13 points. I've never even HEARD of anything like that.

The Iowa fan reaction those gestures is understandable given they lost in an incredibly disappointing way. Always so painful to lose on the last play of the game.

Anyway thanks for your awesome post. I don't think I could be so classy after losing a great game in such heartbreaking fashion. I will believe most Iowa fans are awesome people. There are some jerks but they exist in the PSU fan base as well.
He'll cringe at holding his index finger to his mouth for two seconds? I'm not for flashy celebrations or taunting. But anyone who is offended by a shush sign at the end of the game has issues.

Good game. Josey did some taunting of his own. And ferentz acted like a complete dbag with his handshake, if you can call it that.
People rip on Franklin for nothing but win or lose he goes across that field and shakes hands and conducts himself with nothing but class.
WTF are you talking about did you want Ferentz to kiss his ring?

It was a drive-by at best.

We laughed at Pitt fans when they complained about Franklin after the game. Now we are complaining about Ferentz after the game. Make up your mind people. Way more interesting things to talk about from the game.

Reactions: marshall23
He'll cringe at holding his index finger to his mouth for two seconds? I'm not for flashy celebrations or taunting. But anyone who is offended by a shush sign at the end of the game has issues.

It's not a huge deal. But it's a gesture specifically intended to flip off the fans. And in this case it was an extremely painful moment for them, so it was piling on. It's not what Penn State football is about. PSU football is about respect for everyone who plays and for all the fans.

I think it would have been ok in the course of the game (like Trace's home run swing which started to get a little tiresome), but at the end of this game, the shocking and incredible way it ended -- well there was zero need for an exclamation point. The exclamation point was the TD to win the game on the final play.

The reason Johnson will cringe is that he will know that some people will remember the shush gesture instead of his wonderful pattern and clutch catch that won the game. His play was NFL caliber. But that is hard for a 19 or 20 year old to understand now.

The coolest thing is for Johnson to calmly flip the ball to the ref and then celebrate with his teammates. They just stole the game from the Hawkeyes in front of 70,000 screaming crazy Hawkeye fans. It doesn't get better than that.

We laughed at Pitt fans when they complained about Franklin after the game. Now we are complaining about Ferentz after the game. Make up your mind people. Way more interesting things to talk about from the game.

No complaint from me. I described what I saw.

It was a drive-by at best.

I wonder if Ferentz will be asked about it this week. I think you have to forgive Ferentz. That was probably one of his most painful moments as a coach. It can be hard at that moment to face the opposing coach. He didn't have two seconds to compose himself. He went from celebrating one of his greatest wins to one of his most hearbreaking losses in 1:36.

I am sure it is part of the IA game experience but the fans are too close to the players at IA. The players and coaches should have their space.

Great game by both teams. Go State!
However, that's what makes Kinnick such a fun & unique environment. I hate those newer stadiums where it feels like your seat is a mile from the action.

It's not a huge deal. But it's a gesture specifically intended to flip off the fans. And in this case it was an extremely painful moment for them, so it was piling on. It's not what Penn State football is about. PSU football is about respect for everyone who plays and for all the fans.

I think it would have been ok in the course of the game (like Trace's home run swing which started to get a little tiresome), but at the end of this game, the shocking and incredible way it ended -- well there was zero need for an exclamation point. The exclamation point was the TD to win the game on the final play.

The reason Johnson will cringe is that he will know that some people will remember the shush gesture instead of his wonderful pattern and clutch catch that won the game. His play was NFL caliber. But that is hard for a 19 or 20 year old to understand now.

The coolest thing is for Johnson to calmly flip the ball to the ref and then celebrate with his teammates. They just stole the game from the Hawkeyes in front of 70,000 screaming crazy Hawkeye fans. It doesn't get better than that.
Have you ever played or coached any sport? Some opponents and some fans deserve to be sushed (or something along those lines). If you weren't down on the field experiencing what they were experiencing, then you really can't comment on what they did. If they were hearing crap all game from the fans (I'm sure pedophile statements were being made) then in my opinion they showed great restraint throughout the game and the one gesture was not enough. Opponents and fans often get what they brought on themselves.

THAT WENT OUT THE WINDOW IN 2012. I WAS HERE FOR THE VILE POSTS FROM ALL OVER THE PLACE. PENN STATE DID IT RIGHT AND ALL IT GOT THEM WAS NOTHING. NO BENEFIT IF DOUBT AT ALL.

WERE YOU ON THE PENN STATE SIDELINE LISTENING TO CRUDE, VILE, VULGAR COMMENTS FROM "FANS OF IOWA?"

Have you ever played or coached any sport? Some opponents and some fans deserve to be sushed (or something along those lines). If you weren't down on the field experiencing what they were experiencing, then you really can't comment on what they did. If they were hearing crap all game from the fans (I'm sure pedophile statements were being made) then in my opinion they showed great restraint throughout the game and the one gesture was not enough. Opponents and fans often get what they brought on themselves.

Have you ever played big-time college football, representing your university in front of 70,000 people and a national TV audience?

These kids are part of something very very big. Much bigger than themselves.

Of course they have to deal with abuse from opposing team's fans -- sometimes from their own fans. That is part of the job. It's the way they react that is the measure of their own character -- and THAT part gets carried on national TV for everyone to see.

Again it's not a big deal but taunting the fans -- especially at the end of THAT game -- was immature and out of place. Plus it wasn't original or creative -- Juwan was just doing something that he saw some other football player do on TV.

As for the rest of the game -- well well again that's the point. You can't taunt opponents or the hostile crowd if you're not scoring touchdowns. Penn State came in #4 in the country, ran up 570 yards and came within 4 seconds and an incredible play of losing the game. They had no cause to taunt anybody because they were in the fight of their lives.

Clean, hard fought, exciting game!!! PSU is clearly the better team and obviously deserved to win. I must admit the 'shush' taunt to the Kinnick crowd after the final TD was unfortunate. But that small gesture can't erase the fact this was college FB at it's best.

If Saquon doesn't win the Heisman trophy there needs to be an immediate investigation.

Now, where have I seen this "shush" taunt before. Oh yeah...

Clean, hard fought, exciting game!!! PSU is clearly the better team and obviously deserved to win. I must admit the 'shush' taunt to the Kinnick crowd after the final TD was unfortunate. But that small gesture can't erase the fact this was college FB at it's best.

If Saquon doesn't win the Heisman trophy there needs to be an immediate investigation.

The thin skin on people anymore is out of control. "Ssshhh" has only been done what- 1000 times by probably every team?

The thin skin on people anymore is out of control. "Ssshhh" has only been done what- 1000 times by probably every team?
I know but but but Iowa is "special"....we don't want to offend them.....just ask some of our own posters....

Have you ever played big-time college football, representing your university in front of 70,000 people and a national TV audience?

Of course they have to deal with abuse from opposing team's fans -- sometimes from their own fans. That is part of the job. It's the way they react that is the measure of their own character -- and THAT part gets carried on national TV for everyone to see.

Again it's not a big deal but taunting the fans -- especially at the end of THAT game -- was immature and out of place. Plus it wasn't original or creative -- Juwan was just doing something that he saw some other football player do on TV.

As for the rest of the game -- well well again that's the point. You can't taunt opponents or the hostile crowd if you're not scoring touchdowns. Penn State came in #4 in the country, ran up 570 yards and came within 4 seconds and an incredible play of losing the game. They had no cause to taunt anybody because they were in the fight of their lives.
Again, if they put up with crap the whole game and did nothing then they showed great restraint and should be praised not criticized. A sushing gesture is nothing and if that's the worst thing they did, then they represented the university well. When adults are taunting college kids, they lose the right to expect respect. The Iowa fans complaining should probably look at themselves before they worry about a single, minor gesture.

Reactions: 22mike306

I've been watching college football for over 50 years as well. Funny how after all that viewing, we can come up with opinions that are so different.

I actually enjoy your game analyses and appreciate how you match up Penn State with the upcoming opponents. Thanks for that.

But as for you criticizing our players for their behavior under extremely intense game situations, I respectfully suggest that you would do better to just keep your opinions to yourself.

This program and these coaches and kids have been on the receiving end of unending abuse from every fan base in the conference (and beyond). I respect them for staying undaunted and showing they have nothing to apologize for. Good for them.

If our BOT would have displayed the same gumption (read balls) during the JS scandal "investigation", we wouldn't now be tagged as ped state forever by these slack jawed idiots throughout the B1G.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

Thanks for being respectful, I appreciate your comments too.

I really wasn't being critical of Mr. Johnson, I was just guessing he will regret it later. And probably McSorley will regret the spike. I'm just old school (read OLD), call it stone age, and to me respect for the opposition and opposing teams' fans is part of what football players and fans should be about.

And respect for the opposition is in PSU's DNA. It was one of those Paterno anachronisms that I really appreciated. And I think Franklin's old school too. When Barkley made a gesture to some linebacker last year on a wheel route TD, you'll recall Franklin did a little coaching on the sideline about it.

I just think that last drive was the only statement PSU needed to make. I LOVED the shocked silence, the Iowa fan's faces. Amazing moment. There was no need for anything more.

As for the 'ped state' stuff, nothing the PSU team can do about that other than beat every other team on the schedule. Some fans are classy and some fans are just shallow and stupid human beings. Being angry about idiot fans is like being angry at the fact that there are mosquitos in the world.

Moreover, inconsiderate gestures by players really DO matter. Every time a PSU player finishes a game by taunting the other team's fans, that empowers the bad fans, it makes them more powerful, it validates their idiot opinions about PSU.

I've been watching college football for over 50 years as well. Funny how after all that viewing, we can come up with opinions that are so different.

I actually enjoy your game analyses and appreciate how you match up Penn state with the upcoming opponents. Thanks for that.

But as for you criticizing our players for their behavior under extremely intense game situations, I respectfully suggest that you would do better to just keep your opinions to yourself.

This program and these coaches and kids have been on the receiving end of unending abuse from every fan base in the conference (and beyond). I respect them for staying undaunted and showing they have nothing to apologize for. Good for them.

If our BOT would have displayed the same gumption (read balls) balls during the JS scandal "investigation", we wouldn't now be tagged as ped state forever by these slack jawed idiots throughout the B1G.

Reactions: WyomingLion
Again, if they put up with crap the whole game and did nothing then they showed great restraint and should be praised not criticized. A sushing gesture is nothing and if that's the worst thing they did, then they represented the university well. When adults are taunting college kids, they lose the right to expect respect. The Iowa fans complaining should probably look at themselves before they worry about a single, minor gesture.

I agree. The crowds get worse every year. The fans get worse. (heck, message boards get wors) But what they say doesn't get carried on national TV. Players' gestures do, they get captured on video and youtubed to everybody in the world. So little things become magnified. I wasn't offended by Mr. Johnson, I thought it was no biggie, just unnecessary.

Thanks for being respectful, I appreciate your comments too.

I really wasn't being critical of Mr. Johnson, I was just guessing he will regret it later. And probably McSorley will regret the spike. I'm just old school (read OLD), call it stone age, and to me respect for the opposition and opposing teams' fans is part of what football players and fans should be about.

And respect for the opposition is in PSU's DNA. It was one of those Paterno anachronisms that I really appreciated. And I think Franklin's old school too. When Barkley made a gesture to some linebacker last year on a wheel route TD, you'll recall Franklin did a little coaching on the sideline about it.

I just think that last drive was the only statement PSU needed to make. I LOVED the shocked silence, the Iowa fan's faces. Amazing moment. There was no need for anything more.

As for the 'ped state' stuff, nothing the PSU team can do about that other than beat every other team on the schedule. Some fans are classy and some fans are just shallow and stupid human beings. Being angry about idiot fans is like being angry at the fact that there are mosquitos in the world.

Moreover, inconsiderate gestures by players really DO matter. Every time a PSU player finishes a game by taunting the other team's fans, that empowers the bad fans, it makes them more powerful, it validates their idiot opinions about PSU.
I'm sorry but your post is so full of baloney and cliches, I can't even seriously start to respond to it. But, I'll try anyhow ;-)

I'm probably older than you (Class of 69) and I know old school. Rip was the head coach my first two years at State. If you think
putting abusive idiots in their place "empowers" them, I've got news for you, they don't need our validation to be azzholes. They are who they are.

All that aside, neither Johnson's nor Trace's conduct in anyway went beyond what was a legitimate emotional expression by young men caught up in the heat of battle. DON"T APOLOGIZE TO IOWA FANS for any of it!!

You can see the clips and stills of Iowa players doing the same things posted here. Why suck up to all the Iowa passive aggressive Iowa posters who somehow fail to mention Jewell's conduct or Wadley's conduct?.....it doesn't do any good. If our BOT had done as much as these players have done during the hysteria of the JS investigation, we'd be better off. Same here.

I agree the a-holes are not worth communicating with. It's the rest of the Iowa fan base that matters. It's that group that sees Johnson's gesture and draws incorrect conclusions. (Though they won't see it much because they will never want to watch that least 15 seconds again.)

But the Ped State stuff -- nothing to do for it. It might die down in another 30 years. It was just one of those bizarre things that sometimes happens. And it didn't really happen because of the BOT, it happened because the Pa governor tried real hard to flush Penn State down the toilet, simply out of his personal dislike for Spanier. BOT made some huge mistakes, but the real billion-dollar calamity happened because of Corbett.

I'm sorry but your post is so full of baloney and cliches, I can't even seriously start to respond to it. But, I'll try anyhow ;-)

I'm probably older than you (Class of 69) and I know old school. Rip was the head coach my first two years at State. If you think
putting abusive idiots in their place "empowers" them, I've got news for you, they don't need our validation to be azzholes. They are who they are.

Nope. This isn't Paterno's team anymore. We're going to take no shit and kick a ton of ass. I wouldn't be mad to see them go all "Miami". Miami were the biggest dicks in the college football world. What that get them? A couple NC's and their own 2 part 30 for 30 , years later. I want that.

Nope. This isn't Paterno's team anymore. We're going to take no shit and kick a ton of ass. I wouldn't be mad to see them go all "Miami". Miami were the biggest dicks in the college football world. What that get them? A couple NC's and their own 2 part 30 for 30 , years later. I want that.
One part of me: Why not? They are going to be treated like the devil's team no matter what they do anyhow. What do they have to lose? Go full Miami.

The other part: Let's do it right, but don't let ANYONE get away with the BS they have been heaping on us. Make them pay on the field and tell them to go stuff themselves.

Reactions: Gnat91
It wasn't the BOT's fault?

This is another topic we're going to have to agree to disagree....

I have certainly felt that way at times. If being dicks helps them win, I'm kind of for it. Though Barkley kind of makes the counter-argument -- decent, grounded, nice guy off the field, but as driven a competitor as we will ever see.

Reactions: Gnat91
The shush thing was bad. Not the worst thing in the world, but not the Penn St way. Hopefully Franklin talks to Juwan about it.

And if you don't want your "signature celebration" mocked, how about not having a signature celebration? Play the game, and stop with the theatrics. I coach 10-11 year old kids, and I don't let them get away with any of this nonsense.

The shush thing was bad. Not the worst thing in the world, but not the Penn St way. Hopefully Franklin talks to Juwan about it.

And if you don't want your "signature celebration" mocked, how about not having a signature celebration? Play the game, and stop with the theatrics. I coach 10-11 year old kids, and I don't let them get away with any of this nonsense.

Not to be a dick but, what exactly is " The Penn State way"? I know what you're talking about..but it's 2017 , Joe's gone. It's Franklin's show now and he just doesn't give a damn...and I f'n LOVE it!

Thank you. I just shake my head in amazement that so few on this board feel that way. They want the Paterno statue back but they wouldn't listen to Joe any more about what Penn State football represents. Again, I'm not offended, I love these players, love Trace McSorley but I'm glad he gave up the home run thing this year.

There was a play against Akron where Robert Windsor (I think it was him, not sure) broke through to the backfield and just flattened their running back, then reached out his hand to pull him up, the way Bruce Clark and a whole host of great PSU D-linemen used to do. I loved the play, it was so old school, it was such a gesture of power and sportsmanship at the same time. And people on this board actually started a thread to talk about how much they didn't think he should do that.

Most of us that have had the privilege of being Penn Staters for decades, my first game was 1968, have been indoctrinated into the "act like you've been there before" mentality. I too am a proponent of that philosophy but there is one huge caveat. If you are standing on a sideline within feet of fans calling you ridiculous names, a shush may just be in order. Just sayin'!!

Jewell’s Imitation of McSorely’s home run swing on the field warranted a 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty.
No, it didn't. It warranted annoyance for PSU fans, like myself, but nothing more. In the end, the score is all that matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT