ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting COMMITMENT - 2025 WR Lyrick Samuel commits to Penn State

On3 just gave him a 4-star rating a few days ago. I expect all the other sites to follow come signing day.

Verified 4.5 speed at 6’4” is hard to find. Kid has an awesome athletic profile to build on. Really excited about this one and a great start to the WR class.

On3 just gave him a 4-star rating a few days ago. I expect all the other sites to follow come signing day.

Verified 4.5 speed at 6’4” is hard to find. Kid has an awesome athletic profile to build on. Really excited about this one and a great start to the WR class.
On3 jumped the gun a bit, gave him a ranking of 91 right before he commits. I think he's a good prospect, but I also think they have a clear bias towards the few number of sites they have. That being said, good get, solid prospect and could develop into a pretty good wide receiver.

Watched an update from ON3 and Fitz is pretty high on him.

Could be another early evaluation from Franklin and his staff that ends up moving up the recruiting site ratings (not that anyone really cares...) and ends up doing big things at PSU (which is what counts).

Pretty skinny but has some time to work on that before he gets to PSU which I'm sure the staff will help direct him in. Hope he can enroll early and get a head start in the S&C program next Winter.

Isn't it alway refreshing when something good comes out of NY City??

Last edited:
On3 jumped the gun a bit, gave him a ranking of 91 right before he commits. I think he's a good prospect, but I also think they have a clear bias towards the few number of sites they have. That being said, good get, solid prospect and could develop into a pretty good wide receiver.
Rich,

This is good news. I would like to boost our '25 WR class by also adding Lex Cyrus out of Harrisburg. #1 WR in the state. Smallish at 5'10" 165 but a burner. Any insight on our potential to land him?

Rich,

This is good news. I would like to boost our '25 WR class by also adding Lex Cyrus out of Harrisburg. #1 WR in the state. Smallish at 5'10" 165 but a burner. Any insight on our potential to land him?
They can push and land him at just about anytime, but they have some others higher on the board right now.

Richie:
I'm just curious about what you think about your competitor ON3. Sometimes I get the impression you do not have a high opinion of these guys. Understand, I'm not being critical....just curious.

What did you mean when you said, "they have a clear bias towards the few number of sites they have". ? I take it that you think they have overrated this kid at this point to derive some sort of benefit for ON3.

Mentioned it in the article, but Samuel can be a very good WR IMO. Think he'll end up as a 4 star guy before it's all said and done.

Reactions: FlyinLion1
Richie:
I'm just curious about what you think about your competitor ON3. Sometimes I get the impression you do not have a high opinion of these guys. Understand, I'm not being critical....just curious.

What did you mean when you said, "they have a clear bias towards the few number of sites they have". ? I take it that you think they have overrated this kid at this point to derive some sort of benefit for ON3.
Nothing against them specifically, but the higher ups there who do the rankings have a clear bias towards the sites that they have in terms of the rankings.

He is an aggressive blocker as well!

Nothing against them specifically, but the higher ups there who do the rankings have a clear bias towards the sites that they have in terms of the rankings.
Rivals had Penn State’s 2024 class ranked 17 in the country.

On3 had that same class ranked 16th in the country.

Not exactly a sign of clear bias.

l
Okay. Who are our top prospects at WR?
Have to think that is premium info. My guess is that if you subscribe, you'll get what you're looking for.
Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

Use promo code HVI30 for a FREE 30-day trial!

Have to think that is premium info. My guess is that if you subscribe, you'll get what you're looking for.
I looked on 247 and all the higher prospects we are targeting are "cool" on us. Yeah I guess the premium boards could give me a good feel or I can just call James to get the update...LOL.

Reactions: Richie O
I looked on 247 and all the higher prospects we are targeting are "cool" on us. Yeah I guess the premium boards could give me a good feel or I can just call James to get the update...LOL.

Does not mean much since most of the current commits were cool on us too.

Watched an update from ON3 and Fitz is pretty high on him.

Could be another early evaluation from Franklin and his staff that ends up moving up the recruiting site ratings (not that anyone really cares...) and ends up doing big things at PSU (which is what counts).

Pretty skinny but has some time to work on that before he gets to PSU which I'm sure the staff will help direct him in. Hope he can enroll early and get a head start in the S&C program next Winter.

Isn't it alway refreshing when something good comes out of NY City??

High on him but also says he is a project.

He is an aggressive blocker as well!

The staff has a philosophy of moving CBs to S, S to LB, LB to DE and DE to DT. They think it adds speed and athleticism. They need to do some of the same on offense.

The TEs who need time to put on weight should get reps at WR. It wont add speed but it will add size. They Probably cant all play WR but give them a shot. A 6'5 or 6'6 slow WR does not need to be wide open to make catches. Who cares if a player is covered if he can make a catch? The undersized TEs can probably block better than our WRs.

High on him but also says he is a project.
Most high school Juniors are.

He has at least a year before he enrolls, and if he enrolls early he'll have the opportunity to participate in the PSU S&C program to futher develop his strength before his freshman season. And most WR's don't play as true freshmen anyway.

Is he looking like a plug and play WR as a freshman? No. Even most of the high 4 and 5 star WR's oh-high-ya gets don't contribute much as true freshman. Expecting that from just about any WR recruit is unrealistic.

Reactions: JoeParulz
Most high school Juniors are.

He has at least a year before he enrolls, and if he enrolls early he'll have the opportunity to participate in the PSU S&C program to futher develop his strength before his freshman season. And most WR's don't play as true freshmen anyway.

Is he looking like a plug and play WR as a freshman? No. Even most of the high 4 and 5 star WR's oh-high-ya gets don't contribute much as true freshman. Expecting that from just about any WR recruit is unrealistic.
OSU's freshman are not contributing because they are sitting behind 1st round Picks who also sat behind 1st round picks.

The staff has a philosophy of moving CBs to S, S to LB, LB to DE and DE to DT. They think it adds speed and athleticism. They need to do some of the same on offense.

The TEs who need time to put on weight should get reps at WR. It wont add speed but it will add size. They Probably cant all play WR but give them a shot. A 6'5 or 6'6 slow WR does not need to be wide open to make catches. Who cares if a player is covered if he can make a catch? The undersized TEs can probably block better than our WRs.
Shifting positions is common everywhere. Kids grow from high school junior year to age 22 college players. So they get moved to where they fit better.

Even common in the pros. Players often gain more weight and get moved again.

yep. Catch radius!

Shifting positions is common everywhere. Kids grow from high school junior year to age 22 college players. So they get moved to where they fit better.

Even common in the pros. Players often gain more weight and get moved again.

You missed the point. This staff only moves players up to pick up speed. They hardly ever moved a player back or out to pick up size. We had a need at WR. Did any TEs get any reps at WR?

If Harold Carmichael played today I am not sure he would even get a chance to play WR.
98% of the coaches would probably move him to OT.

Last edited:
OSU's freshman are not contributing because they are sitting behind 1st round Picks who also sat behind 1st round picks.
That's true, but even the majority of the 5 star WR's they get are not ready to step into a #1 WR role. And that's really what PSU has needed the last couple of years. Which is pretty much a pipe dream. And I doubt anyone here believes either Flemming or KLS will end up as 1st or 2nd team All B10 this season, with Flemming being a 5 star recruit and in his last year of eligibility.

I believe more realistic expectations would be for one of the 2024 true freshmen to contribute by 2024 mid season and catch 6-18 passes for 100 to 250 yards, and be a bigger contributor in 2025, potentially breaking out to be PSU's #1 or more realistically #2 or #3 WR. And for 1 or 2 of the 2025 class WR's to follow a similar path.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841

Reynolds needs to get a look at WR. We need WRs and we all saw last year what happened when we don't have production at WR. I don't think even a good OC and/or a good QB can hide below average WRs who can't get open. We have made an upgrade at OC so better schemes and more creative sets and play calls. Allar should be improved with the benefit of a better OC, more experience and more maturiry. However, we still need the WR position to produce. Fleming should be good but I doubt spectacular. Unless the other guys in the room have improved dramatically then not sure how much better we will be at WR. Flowers coming over gives me some hope. Just seems like this is a move to at least try out but I have a feeling never will be tried.

And I doubt anyone here believes either Flemming or KLS will end up as 1st or 2nd team All B10 this season, with Flemming being a 5 star recruit and in his last year of eligibility.

We need Allar in the running for 1st/2nd team All Big 10 for us to make the playoff. One of the WRs being in the running will make this easier, even if we don't expect it.

Somebody has to step up and be that player. And that could include Allen and Singleton. I don't think that the defense will allow for a similar offensive performance AND win 10+ games.

We need Allar in the running for 1st/2nd team All Big 10 for us to make the playoff. One of the WRs being in the running will make this easier, even if we don't expect it.

Somebody has to step up and be that player. And that could include Allen and Singleton. I don't think that the defense will allow for a similar offensive performance AND win 10+ games.
I think Fleming will do very well if he can bring a mentality that he is WR #1. He brings lots of knowledge from that OSU WR room and he did start for them last year. I think coach K will be able to scheme him open but so much depends on QB play. If Allar continues to play scared (afraid to throw an INT), then the offense will struggle against the better teams.

Reactions: lazydave841
I think Fleming will do very well if he can bring a mentality that he is WR #1. He brings lots of knowledge from that OSU WR room and he did start for them last year. I think coach K will be able to scheme him open but so much depends on QB play. If Allar continues to play scared (afraid to throw an INT), then the offense will struggle against the better teams.
Ever consider that Allar played that way because of the way he was coached by Yurcich?

And had receivers running wrong routes, dropping passes, missing assignments. Passing offense looked really out of sync.

If you have a dozen receivers and they are all running the wrong routes(doubt it) , the 5* qb is underperforming, and the 5*Rb is underperforming then there are bigger problems than just the players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT