ADVERTISEMENT

Comments Wearing Penn State Gear

Big 0

Jun 28, 2001
Put on a Penn State shirt this morning. I forgot that my wife wanted to go to an Arts Festival here in Sarasota. So at the last minute, we got into the car and drove to the downtown area. We were enjoying looking at the booths when we came across a middle aged woman dressed in black walking a Giant Schnauzer. I commented about her dog, saying we used to have a Standard Schnauzer, and then she takes a glance at my shirt and exclaims "Eww!" Then immediately turns her head and walks away. Must have been an Ohio Stater.

Then I separately came across a couple of individuals wearing Michigan gear and both of them yell "Go Ohio State!" at me. What the hell is wrong with these people? I expected to hear this crap when I lived in Columbus, and did all the time. There are a lot of Penn Staters here, but on multiple occasions I have had OSU fans/grads go out of their way to come up to me unsolicited to make disparaging comments about Penn State and/or tell me how much better of a school OSU is compared to Penn State. Same, but less often, has happened with some UM fans/grads.

Anyone else have this experience outside of those schools home territories?

Once by a UM shirt wearer way back when the sheet broke. I yelled back. Nothing since.

I think the guy wearing the Michigan shirt was busting your balls. No way they ever root for Ohio St.

I don't know if it will ever end. It has been 16 years since the 2001 incident that McQuery witnessed that is the catalyst for the whole scandal.

I was at the grocery store today, and a guy wearing a UM shirt said:
“I hope you guys CRUSH the Buckeyes, today”.

Well living in Ohio isn't easy sometimes, but most people won't say anything. Of course you can always find that asshole in the crowd that will give you their opinion!

Put on a Penn State shirt this morning. I forgot that my wife wanted to go to an Arts Festival here in Sarasota. So at the last minute, we got into the car and drove to the downtown area. We were enjoying looking at the booths when we came across a middle aged woman dressed in black walking a Giant Schnauzer. I commented about her dog, saying we used to have a Standard Schnauzer, and then she takes a glance at my shirt and exclaims "Eww!" Then immediately turns her head and walks away. Must have been an Ohio Stater.

Then I separately came across a couple of individuals wearing Michigan gear and both of them yell "Go Ohio State!" at me. What the hell is wrong with these people? I expected to hear this crap when I lived in Columbus, and did all the time. There are a lot of Penn Staters here, but on multiple occasions I have had OSU fans/grads go out of their way to come up to me unsolicited to make disparaging comments about Penn State and/or tell me how much better of a school OSU is compared to Penn State. Same, but less often, has happened with some UM fans/grads.

Yes, as have friends who have related incidents to me.

I ran into a Bama grad today, he said he was cheering for PSU, because he always liked Penn State... and everyone hates Ohio State.

I don't know if it will ever end. It has been 16 years since the 2001 incident that McQuery witnessed that is the catalyst for the whole scandal.
Maybe they just are jealous of the football program.

Thank your BOT. Reports like these warm the cackles of their hearts. Surma breaks open another lovely Bordeaux, Suhey raises a fist to the sky and yells "Yes!", and Peetz has an extra bite of foie gras to reward herself for a job well-done.
So the only reason an OSU or UM fan would hate PSU is because of Sandusky? Got it.

wore my Penn State sweatshirt to dog park this morning in Austin.. 8 people reacted.. 100% supportive - ranged from "hope you win today" to "so glad you guys are back- Penn State is a great program. Not a single negative word all morning

wore my Penn State sweatshirt to dog park this morning in Austin.. 8 people reacted.. 100% supportive - ranged from "hope you win today" to "so glad you guys are back- Penn State is a great program. Not a single negative word all morning

You live in Florida dude.

Wore my Penn State hat to a halloween/fall craft fair this morning in downtown Macon. Talked with some Georgia Bulldog's fans. Nothing but positive comments. Saw a Buckeye fan also just some good natured jabs on who was going to win today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT