ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado Travel Question

NittanyJim46

Nov 25, 2012
My wife and I will be in the Denver area next May for a few weeks and want to drive down to the Silverton area from Denver and take the train to Durango/return. Doesn't look like any easy way so what is the best advise. Thanks

My wife and I will be in the Denver area next May for a few weeks and want to drive down to the Silverton area from Denver and take the train to Durango/return. Doesn't look like any easy way so what is the best advise. Thanks
there isn't, so do what we do each year (we go to South Fork to ski) take your time. Use the road side America app and see what things are along the way. Stop at the first bar named for an animal, low and behold it could be Coyote Cantina!! Enjoy!!!

Reactions: michnittlion
I don't live in Colorado but I visit every year and have done the drive, so I do have familiarity.

My choices:

1) US-285 to Poncha Springs, US-50 to Montrose, US-550 south is the "most efficient."

2) What Nittany Ned2 mentioned above is the best mix of efficient and scenic.

3) Even more scenic --- but it will take about an hour longer --- is I-70 over to Glenwood Springs, CO-82 south to Carbondale, CO-133 south to Hotchkiss, CO-92 west to Delta, and then US-550 south to Silverton. This gets you the Glenwood Canyon and CO-82 and CO-133 are also both very pretty roads.

Good advice, so far. I wouldn't take I-25 south to Walsenburg. The other routes mentioned (like 285 out of Denver all the way to 160 at Alamosa, then west to Durango) are more scenic and not much longer time-wise. At the end of your trip, think about a visit to Mesa Verde if you have time.

OK - granted I live off of 285 but I would not do any portion of I-70 for this trip. As someone else mentioned take US 285 from Denver to US 50 and go over Monarch pass and through Gunnison (you could stop in Crested Butte if you wanted as well) to Montrose then south on 550 to Silverton. Coming back to Denver I would go through Durango to Pagosa Springs (160) to Alamosa - in the San Luis Valley you should stop at Sand Dunes National Park. I would continue heading north towards Salida and then 50/115 towards Colorado Springs to check out some of the places mentioned above and then back to Denver.

I believe all trips originate in Durango. Train to Silverton and return. Train one way to Silverton return to Durango by bus. Bus to Silverton return by train to Durango. You could take the return train from Silverton to Durango, but that will require an overnight in Durango to return to Silverton the next day. The drive down I 25 is not as scenic as the routes above, but there are sights along the way. Air Force Academy. Get there for the noon parade. Garden of the Gods. Hotel Broadmoor. All in Colorado Springs. Take HWY 160 from Walsenburg. Great Sand Dunes. Plenty of National Forests. Over night in Durango. Round trip to Silverton the next day. Train to Silverton, return by bus is recommended. It shortens the day. Another overnight in Durango. Then Mesa Verde, Four Corners, return to Denver the next day by Nittany Ned's route.

Hey, it's Colorado. Forget the interstate. If you can, don't drive it in one day but take some time to enjoy the trip. There are already some good suggestions listed. A couple of specific things I'd mention would be an afternoon at Black Canyon of the Gunnison park, and, a bit out of the way but nice is Telluride.

OK - granted I live off of 285 but I would not do any portion of I-70 for this trip. As someone else mentioned take US 285 from Denver to US 50 and go over Monarch pass and through Gunnison (you could stop in Crested Butte if you wanted as well) to Montrose then south on 550 to Silverton. Coming back to Denver I would go through Durango to Pagosa Springs (160) to Alamosa - in the San Luis Valley you should stop at Sand Dunes National Park. I would continue heading north towards Salida and then 50/115 towards Colorado Springs to check out some of the places mentioned above and then back to Denver.
I have lived in Colorado for 35 years. I agree with Ski Lion - don't take either I-70 . Do the scenic route suggested by Ski Lion.

If you want to get to Silverton, I recommend coming up from Durango since CDOT is having to rebuild to outside lane of US550 just north of Silverton and there are traffic delays (delays seems worse traveling south from Ouray). That way you can take the train up from Durango, ride the bus back from Silverton and then drive up US550.

Last week, I just spent a couple of days 4x4ing a lot of the roads above Silverton, including getting a close look at the fine spill work of our EPA. The river looks better, but those boys managed to do some real damage.

Never mind my advice. I just thread your post and saw that you're not coming out until next May (the first time I read your post I thought you said next week). The US550 road work should be done by November

Last edited:
My wife and I will be in the Denver area next May for a few weeks and want to drive down to the Silverton area from Denver and take the train to Durango/return. Doesn't look like any easy way so what is the best advise. Thanks[/
I thought of a couple of other things to add... I liked taking the bus up to Silverton and then the train back. In May it might not make a difference but reservations are easier in that direction. But also, the bus driver gives you a nice descriptive narrative of everything on the way up. I appreciated knowing what he told us before we took the train down. Also, we got to Silverton well before the train, so we could pick our restaurant for lunch and didn't have to wait to get in or wait to be served. And if you're wife is like mine, try to sit on the right going up by either method and on the left on the way down. that way you won't be on the "wrong side". Last time in Silverton we drove a few more miles up the valley and took the underground mine tour. If you've never been "underground" it's worth it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT