ADVERTISEMENT

College Football News says PSU Overrated

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
FWIW. http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/top-5-overrated-college-football-teams

Penn State Nittany Lions
They’ll be good, but they’re not going to repeat the Big Ten championship magic.

RB Saquon Barkley will be amazing, QB Trace McSorley will be solid, and the defense should have its moments of dominance, but now the bar is set higher and just finishing with a nice bowl appearance will seem a little bit flat.

The Nittany Lions get Michigan at home, but they go to Ohio State and Michigan State over the following two weeks, and they have to go to Iowa – ask 2016 Michigan what that’s like.

Again, it’ll be a good team, but three regular season losses will seem a whole lot more than the three losses overall last year.

FWIW. http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/top-5-overrated-college-football-teams

Penn State Nittany Lions
They’ll be good, but they’re not going to repeat the Big Ten championship magic.

RB Saquon Barkley will be amazing, QB Trace McSorley will be solid, and the defense should have its moments of dominance, but now the bar is set higher and just finishing with a nice bowl appearance will seem a little bit flat.

The Nittany Lions get Michigan at home, but they go to Ohio State and Michigan State over the following two weeks, and they have to go to Iowa – ask 2016 Michigan what that’s like.

Again, it’ll be a good team, but three regular season losses will seem a whole lot more than the three losses overall last year.

Pete Fiutak is having daydreams again.

Penn State Nittany Lions

I don't have an issue with that take. There's a big difference going from being the hunter to the hunted. Also some vulnerabilities in the lineup on paper that will have to be proven on the field. Thinking mostly about picking up for Godwin's production and downfield threat, LB depth and how the DEs replace Schwan and Sickels.

Not concerned about these issues given the available talent but still have to do it

Reactions: BBrown
He's definitely on the pessimistic side of reality. After pointing out the success of last year, he points out the (real) challenges this year regarding the tough stretch in their schedule, while not recognizing this year's team can, and likely will be better- for all the reasons mentioned here frequently. Especially with genuine depth. How often does a team have the luxury of complete confidence in their 2nd string quarterback?

Yet, he has Michigan as underrated.

Context important.

PSU is defending conference champ returning a lot and knocking on a top 5 pre season spot. No one is going to say PSU is underrated.

Michigan finished 3rd in division, lost a ton of talent. They're probably going to start off around 14-15. If one believes they can contend for a conference title in the B1G, then yeah you'd think they're underrated.

On paper, Michigan seems to take a big step back and flying under the radar after their losses, but on D in particular they are loaded with talent. I'm not as sold on their offense but don't think their D will take a huge step back like some.

Objectively, I don't see PSU losing at home unless there is a disaster turnover prone game. I don't see PSU losing on the road at Sparty. Realistically, that means they lose on road to NW, Iowa, and OSU. I don't see that happening either. I could foresee a stumble in one of the NW/Iowa games especially the early NW start time where PSU always seems to struggle.

10-2 is the middle of the see saw in my eye's.

Context important.

PSU is defending conference champ returning a lot and knocking on a top 5 pre season spot. No one is going to say PSU is underrated.

Michigan finished 3rd in division, lost a ton of talent. They're probably going to start off around 14-15. If one believes they can contend for a conference title in the B1G, then yeah you'd think they're underrated.

On paper, Michigan seems to take a big step back and flying under the radar after their losses, but on D in particular they are loaded with talent. I'm not as sold on their offense but don't think their D will take a huge step back like some.

Michigan has even or better odds to win the B1G and CFB than PSU.

No problem with what he said...as is the case when expectations are sky high, any little setback can seem catastrophic. What bothers me about pieces like this is the tone in which it is presented - whether it's because of Sandusky or just as simple as always being 2nd tier to michy and tosu, there are always going to be people for whom respect is never earned.

I think it's spot on, if we lose that Minnesota game, we might have lost 5-6 games last year. It was amazing what confidence did for us the latter half of the year.

Reactions: michnittlion
He's definitely on the pessimistic side of reality. After pointing out the success of last year, he points out the (real) challenges this year regarding the tough stretch in their schedule, while not recognizing this year's team can, and likely will be better- for all the reasons mentioned here frequently. Especially with genuine depth. How often does a team have the luxury of complete confidence in their 2nd string quarterback?
There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic. IMO it is a stretch to say "complete confidence in the 2nd string qb". I'm confident Stevens could step in and do well but at this point if Trace gets hurt he is almost a complete unknown in how he would handle the pressure.

I think it's spot on, if we lose that Minnesota game, we might have lost 5-6 games last year. It was amazing what confidence did for us the latter half of the year.

"This time it's Barkley! Cutting inside! Barkley Touchdowwwwwwn!"

The less they expect from us, the sweeter it will be when we surprise them. As I said, it won't be easy, but I fully expect us to win every game except for Ohio State. They'll be favored, but they don't go undefeated most years.

We got lucky with the tie-breakers this year. Iowa did us a huge favor, and that isn't happening every year. On the other hand, our staff is going to hammer home to our guys what happened to Michigan at night up there last year. They won't go in unaware of what can happen.

And, to be sure, Michigan will finish no better than third again. They are losing to us and to Ohio State.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Means nothing given how lines are set and Vegas operates.

Regardless, I would much rather have PSU being disrespected right now than lauded. The only thing the later can do for a team before a game is played is make it complacent. I welcome the doubters.
The part that is tough to believe is they have psu losing to Iowa and Maryland, along with osu. The Maryland game with a big 10 east tie on the line, that if they are correct on the rest, would cause a random draw between the three( OSU,UM and PSU).

Don't see PSU losing in that scenario.

The also have Iowa losing 4 big 10 games while defeating both psu and osu

Not logical

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
reme

Penn State Nittany Lions

Remember that writer has an opinion and has an asshole like everyone else.

I agree the biggest difference this year is they won't "sneak up on anyone". Going from hunter to hunted means teams like Iowa will be much better prepared. This is what makes CFB so much fun to follow. How well can they replace Godwin, Bell, Sickels, Schwan, Golden and Reid? How much better will this OL be? Can SB win the Heisman?

Anyone who does not think 3 regular season loses are possible is being foolish. Barring injuries The LIons have a legitimate chance to win on each and every Saturday. I'm going to sit back and soak that in. Last year was magical after Sept. I hope the team is more consistent and not relying on biblical comebacks. To move into the playoff picture this is essential as is a big improvement on D.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
There is nothing wrong with the opinion; three losses would not look good. But I think this team will only have one loss

Hoping for better of course but that's not an unreasonable prediction. Three losses -- heck, even four losses -- is very possible if this PSU team stumbles just a little bit..

Everybody's assuming Michigan is going to be depleted and not very good. They will be young, but they are at least as talented as PSU with some players who could take over the game by themselves -- i.e. Gary. I think they will be held back by mediocre game day coaching, as they were last year; it's the players that worry me.

I think the season will really turn on NW and Iowa. In both cases it could hinge on their ability to find a wideout. Both lost their best receiver and will be relying on freshmen and transfers to come in and play. Iowa, more than NW, has really struggled with recruiting at the position so they'll have a harder time. I think NW has some very talented young wideouts coming in..

Anyway, I think you just have to remember that in the Big Ten, where and when the game is played becomes almost more important than talent and matchups. Kinnick at certain times of year is an extremely tough place to win and same with Evanston.

It just shows how football has changed. Paterno had some really fairly average teams only lose a couple of games because there were only a couple good teams on the schedule. In this division, a really good team could still lose four.

Last edited:

Penn State Nittany Lions

No offense to Sparty, but they may not be the hurdle this guy thinks they'll be...

Penn State Nittany Lions

They picked us to lose to Maryland this year. Not exactly the height of credibility.

IIRC, CFN also predicted 9-3 for PSU last year which was the highest prediction I read.

So they don't totally lack credibility.

They still using a chicken to predict games...............? Cause that really makes me wanna take stock in their opinion.

Clucko the Chicken has been America’s premier poultry prognosticator since winning the 2000 Pro Football Weekly college football confidence pool among 37 entries. Clucko makes picks based on two feed dishes representing each team – or on a coin-flip.

tumblr_o233n8JF3h1u2cqdro1_500.jpg

Reactions: T J
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT