ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching strategy

kps7987

Aug 27, 2016
As someone who never wrestled, small adjustments can make a big difference. We have seen this with RBY v. Desanto and the obvious success PSU has had in the semi-finals. So for those that are in the know when it comes to styles and strategy:

How does Kirk gameplay for Parris?

How do they approach RBY/Fix if it happens again? Stay the course or what minor adjustments? My 2 cents: RBY seems to be so tactical, learning so much each match while giving up little for opponent to gameplay since he can wrestle any style. The chess match for him is intriguing.

Do the coaches scout and change approach for each opponent based on tendencies? I know they can watch for ankle pick or a specific move but would you have a wrestler practice and change lead leg based on opponent?

Does the referee impact strategy at all? Will the staff recognize a refs tendency for stall calls and plan for that?

Finally, with the success on Friday night, do fans worry about the odds catching up or have faith in the staff to eliminate the luck variable through preparation? I am a Negadelphia fan so going into Friday and Saturday I keep thinking the odds have to catch up sometime but PSU seems to defy odds through good coaching and prep.

Also my 2 cents. The young wrestlers who wrestle close matches have the ability to get the riding point. SVN and Fecund seem to allow easy escapes and I think that hurts them.

Reactions: I.J.W.T.
Take this FWIW:

As someone who never wrestled, small adjustments can make a big difference. We have seen this with RBY v. Desanto and the obvious success PSU has had in the semi-finals. So for those that are in the know when it comes to styles and strategy:

Kerk is career 3-3 vs. Parris. So it's little things like working angles and getting out from bottom quickly without bearing a lot of HWT load for very long. Also avoid Parris' barrel roll. These are things they'll work with him on in practice.

How do they approach RBY/Fix if it happens again? Stay the course or what minor adjustments? My 2 cents: RBY seems to be so tactical, learning so much each match while giving up little for opponent to gameplay since he can wrestle any style. The chess match for him is intriguing.
RBY has figured out Fix's mainstays: inside trips and leg rides. It's up to Fix to adjust ... and he did somewhat last year, but RBY is just too quick and balanced.

Do the coaches scout and change approach for each opponent based on tendencies? I know they can watch for ankle pick or a specific move but would you have a wrestler practice and change lead leg based on opponent?
Some, but at this stage of the game it's about optimizing what each wrestler already does. You don't want to create weaknesses or reduce confidence by making significant changes like changing lead legs -- not now. Offseason is the time to do stuff like that.

Does the referee impact strategy at all? Will the staff recognize a refs tendency for stall calls and plan for that?
No. Wrestlers need to not think about that. Focus on the man in front of you, not the one in stripes.. Also, in a tournament you don't know what ref you're getting until you step on the mat. Some coaches may work certain refs differently, but leave that to the coaches.

Finally, with the success on Friday night, do fans worry about the odds catching up or have faith in the staff to eliminate the luck variable through preparation? I am a Negadelphia fan so going into Friday and Saturday I keep thinking the odds have to catch up sometime but PSU seems to defy odds through good coaching and prep.
No. Maybe certain specific matchups. Cael's record in the semis and finals is a source of confidence, not concern.

Also my 2 cents. The young wrestlers who wrestle close matches have the ability to get the riding point. SVN and Fecund seem to allow easy escapes and I think that hurts them.
It can, but guys should work to their strengths. If they're stronger from feet, that's where they should be. IMO the RT point should not be a goal unto itself, until it becomes within reach.

The exceptions are maintaining rides at the end of periods, and long first-period rides after early takedowns -- that can be both tiring and demoralizing, and thus lead to easier scores later.

Should've added in response to the 3rd question:

You don't want to train guys for specific opponents unless you're reasonably confident of that matchup occurring, or that opponent exposed a weakness that you think other opponents might exploit.

Example: Kerk training for Schultz's Greco arsenal would be a waste of time. Schultz needs to get thru Cass and Parris first. You're willing to take that risk, and let Kerk work on his own technique instead.

I think Cstar adjusted to Kem by switch his stance simply backing his right leg out of reach.

It can, but guys should work to their strengths. If they're stronger from feet, that's where they should be. IMO the RT point should not be a goal unto itself, until it becomes within reach.

The exceptions are maintaining rides at the end of periods, and long first-period rides after early takedowns -- that can be both tiring and demoralizing, and thus lead to easier scores later.
To add, I think riding the will-to-live out of an opponent is a finer art that (typically) only the established veterans with rock-solid fundamentals and polished weaponry add to their arsenals.

First, you perfect self. Then you perfect the art of breaking others. RBY and Brooks are good examples.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
I think Cstar adjusted to Kem by switch his stance simply backing his right leg out of reach.
Possibly ... that's where such adjustments can depend on the individual.

Example: Rasheed's exaggerated front leg stance -- good vs. most, but his undoing vs. Kollin Moore. First met at B10s, not able to change that in 2 weeks.

Kerk has got to let Parris take the shot and go behind!

Reactions: Fayette_LION
The best wrestlers (not just good wrestlers ) can make adjustments mid season, mid tournament and mid match. The best coaches can recognize tendencies and can ID and understand the best way to articulate change to the wrestlers. They also understand what the capabilities of each of their wrestlers are able to accomplish with their individual skill set

To add, I think riding the will-to-live out of an opponent is a finer art that (typically) only the established veterans with rock-solid fundamentals and polished weaponry add to their arsenals.

First, you perfect self. Then you perfect the art of breaking others. RBY and Brooks are good examples.
But it seems Haines is an avid rider as a freshman. Even if not seeking the point, taking the energy from your opponent for later advantage.

It would be interesting to hear from RBY about wrestling AD w 1 hand behind back. Whose idea was it?…. did he practice it? etc..

Last edited:
Reactions: El-Jefe
Kerk's adjustment is similar to RBY/Desanto. They are both looking to take away the dump. Kerk usually ties up the wrist. The issue is that its taking him out of "his offense". At Big's he didnt tie the wrist and got dumped right away. He will make adjustments, needs to illiminate that dump and work on offense from the wrist tie.

Slight change of subject, but in an exhibition match, I would love to see RBY down by six with a minute to go against top competition to see if he can take people down iat will, which many commonly say.

As Bill Belichick says, you make the opponent play left handed by taking away their strength. Which is exactly why you see many wrestlers do nothing against PSU wrestlers. The PSU guys like RBY, Cstar and Brooks are good at basically everything. The strategy is to slow the match down, gamble that your not going to give up a bunch of stalling points and make it a one move match and maybe you get the TD at the end to win.

Reactions: burns444
As Bill Belichick says, you make the opponent play left handed by taking away their strength. Which is exactly why you see many wrestlers do nothing against PSU wrestlers. The PSU guys like RBY, Cstar and Brooks are good at basically everything. The strategy is to slow the match down, gamble that your not going to give up a bunch of stalling points and make it a one move match and maybe you get the TD at the end to win.
I get that, but I guess my original questions or more about specific technique

Slight change of subject, but in an exhibition match, I would love to see RBY down by six with a minute to go against top competition to see if he can take people down iat will, which many commonly say.
You’d see his opponents backing up and giving up a couple stall points in the process.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Take this FWIW:

Kerk is career 3-3 vs. Parris. So it's little things like working angles and getting out from bottom quickly without bearing a lot of HWT load for very long. Also avoid Parris' barrel roll. These are things they'll work with him on in practice.

RBY has figured out Fix's mainstays: inside trips and leg rides. It's up to Fix to adjust ... and he did somewhat last year, but RBY is just too quick and balanced.

Some, but at this stage of the game it's about optimizing what each wrestler already does. You don't want to create weaknesses or reduce confidence by making significant changes like changing lead legs -- not now. Offseason is the time to do stuff like that.

No. Wrestlers need to not think about that. Focus on the man in front of you, not the one in stripes.. Also, in a tournament you don't know what ref you're getting until you step on the mat. Some coaches may work certain refs differently, but leave that to the coaches.

No. Maybe certain specific matchups. Cael's record in the semis and finals is a source of confidence, not concern.

For Kerk - don’t take lazy shots. Fake or full commitment, but nothing halfway. Parris has won the last two on poor attempts by Kerk followed by a re-attack by Mason.

Best Tom Cruise quote ever (an oxymoron, I know) typifies PSU wrestling coaches mindset, and most of the guys will buy in at some point in their careers…usually at NCAA’s.

I would prefer not to see that scenario anytime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT