ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching carousel 2024

I hope for Little Rock’s sake he doesn’t leave. They’ve got a good thing going down there with him at the helm. Nasir Bailey will be back next year and he’s got a very bright future ahead of him which will only benefit the program’s standing and recruiting going forward.

You may be correct, and likely are, but it looks bad either way. Either Max sent Ben, or Ben stepped ahead of his brother and did it on his own. What does that say about Ben? What does that say about Ben's opinion of his brother to do such a thing. It makes Max look weak in either case.

Even if Ben's intent was to talk about Bono only, it still taints Max overall unless Ben was the one going for the job. Which he said he doesn't want.
I love how someone saying that Ben Askren was on campus leads to people telling us why he was there, what he said , and the effects it will have on the program. I love message boards!!

I hope for Little Rock’s sake he doesn’t leave. They’ve got a good thing going down there with him at the helm. Nasir Bailey will be back next year and he’s got a very bright future ahead of him which will only benefit the program’s standing and recruiting going forward.
Stephen Little had a nice run at nationals and he's back as well. I think he has 3 more years. He placed 7th.

Will Coleman Scott take over for John Smith? This will make them better. Scott had NC going in the right direction.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Askren hates Bono....to the point where he won't even listen to U2 anymore.
giphy.gif

Reactions: danoftw
Hope John Smith does more commentary. He was great during the Olympics. Would like to hear his perspective the next NCAAs.
Had a chance to talk quite at length with John in NYC and Cleveland (late night lobby where he holds court). Extremely nice guy. He must be awfully tough on his wrestlers given some of the comments he offered. He had not one bad thing to say about the Big Ten. I thought he was pretty damn classy.

UW won’t succeed with a fractured relationship with AWA. That’s not debatable.

Bono seems very polarizing. Either love him or hate him but it’s his program to run how he’d like.

Ben has earned the right to express his opinion. We don’t know what that is besides he doesn’t like Bono. He doesn’t have too much influence if Bono is still around.

Bono got an extension through 2025 in 2023. They don’t want to pay his buyout. Will be easier after 1 more year.

Simmons is obviously a great wrestler, but I don't know his coaching history -- maybe he's a great candidate, maybe not, don't know. And there are lots of reasons why this might have happened, many of them not good for CMU.

But if you wanted to nuke your candidacy, possibly the best way is leaking this so a 3rd party could publicly slag your prospective employer.

It's also a fine way to pre-nuke your shot at any future openings.

My lasting memory of Smith was watching him wrestle vs. Jeff Dernlan in the dual in Rec Hall. I think it was 1988.

Dernlan got in deep on a shot and Smith went to a full split. That defense is common now, but wasn't then. That was the first any of us had ever seen it.

Dernlan -- while still holding Smith's leg -- looked over at Coach Lorenzo and shrugged as if to say "WTF do I do with this?"

My lasting memory of Smith was watching him wrestle vs. Jeff Dernlan in the dual in Rec Hall. I think it was 1988.

Dernlan got in deep on a shot and Smith went to a full split. That defense is common now, but wasn't then. That was the first any of us had ever seen it.

Dernlan -- while still holding Smith's leg -- looked over at Coach Lorenzo and shrugged as if to say "WTF do I do with this?"
It was 88, I was there too.

Watch Pyles drone on for 12+ minutes, when everyone knows Scott was hired last year to succeed Smith.

Or better yet, don't.

Does FLO ever have insights that you can't get on message boards (particularly this one)?

I won't begrudge anyone who consumes their content because I understand anyone who just wants "more wrestling", but I can't think of anything I've ever heard them say or discuss that isn't more or less what I get here.

Does FLO ever have insights that you can't get on message boards (particularly this one)?

I won't begrudge anyone who consumes their content because I understand anyone who just wants "more wrestling", but I can't think of anything I've ever heard them say or discuss that isn't more or less what I get here.
I like listening to Ben's opinions. I do wish he would talk more about the technical side of wrestling in a lot of his opinions though.

I remember that match distinctly.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT