ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson football is a religious experience

No one is forcing these kids to be baptized. They are grown ass men and could play at any program. Maybe some of these kids have faith of their own and want to be around others with that faith. I am no fan of clemson but zero wrong with grown men experiencing and sharing faith.
Maybe some folks should look at their success and realize there is something to this whole religion thing.

Well, yeah, that and scientist-made PEDs handed out like candy.

Praise the Lord and pass the HGH!!

The current issue of SI has an interesting article about Dabo Sweeney at Clemson. He has incorporated religion into his recruiting and coaching and has gone so far as baptizing a player in a tub of water brought onto the field at a practice. While the players seem to almost universally bought into the combination of football and religion which Dabo preaches, it raises lots of issues and concerns about first amendment rights and the pressures placed on his players to buy into his beliefs.
He baptized a player? That's just plain weird.

No, he didn’t. A player was baptized by the Chaplin after practice
A Baptist minister performed the baptism but it was on the football field in front of his teammates. Kid was in full uniform and others thought they were bringing out one of those soaking tubs they fill with ice for the players to soak in. Whomever did the dunking, it was still over the top regarding something to do at a football practice.

A Baptist minister performed the baptism but it was on the football field in front of his teammates. Kid was in full uniform and others thought they were bringing out one of those soaking tubs they fill with ice for the players to soak in. Whomever did the dunking, it was still over the top regarding something to do at a football practice.

You’re welcome to think that, but no one on the team had a problem with it. Great job being outraged on their behalf tho

Sweeney: “I’ve had Muslims, Catholics...I have two Mormons on the team now...”

I’m not an expert on religion, but I’m pretty sure that Catholics and Mormons are Christians.

You’re welcome to think that, but no one on the team had a problem with it. Great job being outraged on their behalf tho
The players, or nearly all of them, do buy into it. That’s part of the reason Dabo is able to recruit them. However something doesn’t smell right to me for this to be happening at a State school. Is Dabo excluding non believers from his recruiting targets? Are those of other faiths (even Christian ones) made to feel uncomfortable if they don’t participate? Are gay players welcome on the team? In my opinion players should be given total freedom to celebrate their own religions as they wish and that the coach should not lead them or pressure them to buy into a particular set of beliefs. Football and religion need and should not be connected by a State employee who has a lot of control over these young men regarding playing time, redshirt decisions, etc.

Reactions: Tony '83
The players, or nearly all of them, do buy into it. That’s part of the reason Dabo is able to recruit them. However something doesn’t smell right to me for this to be happening at a State school. Is Dabo excluding non believers from his recruiting targets? Are those of other faiths (even Christian ones) made to feel uncomfortable if they don’t participate? Are gay players welcome on the team? In my opinion players should be given total freedom to celebrate their own religions as they wish and that the coach should not lead them or pressure them to buy into a particular set of beliefs. Football and religion need and should not be connected by a State employee who has a lot of control over these young men regarding playing time, redshirt decisions, etc.
Who gives a shit?

Yet, no one has spoken up about any of these issues. Doesn’t that make you think that you should find something else to be upset about and stop projecting your insecurities about religion on others?

Yet, no one has spoken up about any of these issues. Doesn’t that make you think that you should find something else to be upset about and stop projecting your insecurities about religion on others?

This isn’t an insecurity issue.

But at least ND is a private school. No way that stuff should be going on at Clemson (a public school). But if they keep winning they'd tolerate a lot worse than that.
It's things like this, among others, that have me being a member of the ACLU.

Reactions: Nittany_93
To each his own with religion, but I’m personally not a big fan of incorporating it in this way. I’ve got to imagine there are some kids who are a tad uncomfortable with it. Sure, he’s not forcing anyone to participate but there’s an overtone here which seems too much for a public university.

Done religious liberties groups have spoken up but so far to no avail. Remember also that State dollars are being spent to support these activities.

Yeah because they don’t have a claim. For 5+ years they’ve been trying to find a kid to complain so they can sponsor his lawsuit. Same with SI, I bet they were very disappointed to only get positive responses for this article. Dabo has been the head coach for 11 years-say 25 players per year leave the program that’s 275 kids plus the 120 on the team this year gives you 400 potential complaints- yet no one has a problem. What should you take from that?

Reactions: The Shelter
Yeah I wonder how the non Christian kids feel about the baptisms

Sports Illustrated and the anti religion groups have asked them and are dying to get an inflammatory quote- and yet they haven’t. But go on being outraged on their behalf

Shouldn’t people have more of a problem with Clemson’s cheating than their religious practices?

The current issue of SI has an interesting article about Dabo Sweeney at Clemson. He has incorporated religion into his recruiting and coaching and has gone so far as baptizing a player in a tub of water brought onto the field at a practice. While the players seem to almost universally bought into the combination of football and religion which Dabo preaches, it raises lots of issues and concerns about first amendment rights and the pressures placed on his players to buy into his beliefs.

It’s complicated down here. Religion has always been used, abused, misrepresented, politicized, as well as solemnly observed in the South. It depends on who is doing the observing and why. It’s the southern equivalent of northern preachers showing up to picket the police or march for social causes. Dabo has integrated religion into his pitch. Is it bs? Don’t know. Many parents of athletes find it comforting for a coach to be open about his beliefs. Btw, under Joe CFA was very popular among PSU athletes, so much so that coaches from other schools portrayed our program as boring or unfun - too clean cut.

Yeah because they don’t have a claim. For 5+ years they’ve been trying to find a kid to complain so they can sponsor his lawsuit. Same with SI, I bet they were very disappointed to only get positive responses for this article. Dabo has been the head coach for 11 years-say 25 players per year leave the program that’s 275 kids plus the 120 on the team this year gives you 400 potential complaints- yet no one has a problem. What should you take from that?
Who gives a shit?
I do, and you should, as well, for no reason other than it might violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

Supreme Court Justice Black, in the case of Everson v. Board of Education, said that the clause erected a "wall of separation between church and state," which he explained as meaning, among other things, that the government cannot participate in the affairs of a religious group, set up a church, aid or prefer one religion over another, or aid or prefer religion over nonreligion.

And, here's the kicker, it DOES NOT matter if the players agree or not.

Reactions: Nittany_93

Exactly. Don’t understand the outrage here. I am pretty sure America is a free country (for now). If you are offended by religion, why did you bother to open the post.

Most of the players that go to Clemson choose to do so, I am sure they have offers at other places. If they did not like a religious approach, they can go to another very good football program and school.

Stop the Christiphobia!!

Sports Illustrated and the anti religion groups have asked them and are dying to get an inflammatory quote- and yet they haven’t. But go on being outraged on their behalf

Oh boo hoo. The only people more sensitive to criticism than religious nuts are gun nuts.

I do, and you should, as well, for no reason other than it might violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

Supreme Court Justice Black, in the case of Everson v. Board of Education, said that the clause erected a "wall of separation between church and state," which he explained as meaning, among other things, that the government cannot participate in the affairs of a religious group, set up a church, aid or prefer one religion over another, or aid or prefer religion over nonreligion.

Again, I don’t care.it doesn’t matter. Clemson is still strong.
I don’t have time to get outraged over such silly ass bullshit.
Player says to Coach, I want to get baptized and if it’s cool can I affirm my faith in front of the team.
Coach says fine. It’s done . His buddies say congrats. No one is harmed .
So get over it. People only care because Clemson is winning and because they are they must be cheating so Dabo is a cheat so so so .... 1st amendment!!! Religious freedom!!!!
Who cares? I don’t . It’s shit like this that’s turning me off from even PSU football. Realizing our fans are as much idiots as any other fan base.

Um, yeah it does. You need someone who thinks their rights have been violated bring a lawsuit. The anti religion lobbyist have been trying, but can’t find anybody. Maybe you should volunteer to help them out

Again, I don’t care.it doesn’t matter. Clemson is still strong.
I don’t have time to get outraged over such silly ass bullshit.
Player says to Coach, I want to get baptized and if it’s cool can I affirm my faith in front of the team.
Coach says fine. It’s done . His buddies say congrats. No one is harmed .
So get over it. People only care because Clemson is winning and because they are they must be cheating so Dabo is a cheat so so so .... 1st amendment!!! Religious freedom!!!!
Who cares? I don’t . It’s shit like this that’s turning me off from even PSU football. Realizing our fans are as much idiots as any other fan base.

You keep saying who cares and yet you keep posting on here. Why is that? You clearly care.

Sweeney: “I’ve had Muslims, Catholics...I have two Mormons on the team now...”

I’m not an expert on religion, but I’m pretty sure that Catholics and Mormons are Christians.

For what it's worth, I've met several people (Baptists I believe) here in PA who have told me they think Catholicism is a cult and isn't a Christian religion (Pope, worshipping false idols, etc).

My take is that kids who would have a problem don’t get to play for Clemson.

People only care because Clemson is winning and because they are they must be cheating so Dabo is a cheat so so so .
Can you say P-E-D? He’s already been caught cheating, so it’s not an envy thing, it’s a cheating thing.

Btw, under Joe CFA was very popular among PSU athletes, so much so that coaches from other schools portrayed our program as boring or unfun - too clean cut.

I believe Campus Crusade for Christ was popular for a sizeable number of Penn State athletes back in the 1970s, including members of the football team. My next-door neighbor back in Pittsburgh was a known hell-raiser in his youth and found himself in Joe's dog house for awhile. In later years, Leo Wisniewski attributed Campus Crusaders for turning his life around... and if I'm not mistaken, it was fellow "wildman" Matt Millen who introduced Leo to the program. "Cru" is still on PSU campus, but I don't know how active the athletes are currently. www.pennstatecru.org

Big difference between Joe saying that he will keep an eye on Cefalo and remind him to goto church and literally preaching religion as part of football practice. Hope you are smart enough to see the huge difference in the two.

I attribute this more to Joe's congeniality with recruits Italian mothers than real necessity... as I went to mass with Cefalo one time... but he kept going weekly, religiously. There never was really a need for Joe to keep an eye on Cef, he was a "good boy."

Yeah this stuff doesn't belong in a locker room.
Why does it not belong in a locker room? If you are the coach, you can run it like you want. This is Dabo's locker room and he runs it his way. and guess what? he wins...two national titles in 4 years. Not too bad doing it his way.

Uhh, its fricken weird to do this. Further, if you are a christian, don't you find it gross to be using faith as a tool to sell? People aren't saying they have a problem with religion, they have a problem with using religion as a tool to sell football. It is pretty pathetic. I find it as disrespectful.

That last line, is straight up looney. sheesh.
your opinion...everyone has one.

I'd comment on this thread, but I don't want to be banned.

43591380_thumbnail.jpg

Reactions: nits74
The NCAA should step in and sanction Clemson by taking away scholarships, encouraging players to transfer, banning the team from bowls, castigating their football culture and putting a black mark on their program that will never be removed... If only the NCAA treated every team as unfairly as they did PSU. Eff Emmert, the BOT, Freeh and the media

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT