ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson football is a religious experience

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
The current issue of SI has an interesting article about Dabo Sweeney at Clemson. He has incorporated religion into his recruiting and coaching and has gone so far as baptizing a player in a tub of water brought onto the field at a practice. While the players seem to almost universally bought into the combination of football and religion which Dabo preaches, it raises lots of issues and concerns about first amendment rights and the pressures placed on his players to buy into his beliefs.

The current issue of SI has an interesting article about Dabo Sweeney at Clemson. He has incorporated religion into his recruiting and coaching and has gone so far as baptizing a player in a tub of water brought onto the field at a practice. While the players seem to almost universally bought into the combination of football and religion which Dabo preaches, it raises lots of issues and concerns about first amendment rights and the pressures placed on his players to buy into his beliefs.

You mean like a...cult? ;)

I will supply the tub if we can have the same success.

Touchdown Jesus started the cult....."Mysteries" of the Rosary combined with football.
I'll have Karen light some candles at Mass this weekend for Pitt.:eek:

But at least ND is a private school. No way that stuff should be going on at Clemson (a public school). But if they keep winning they'd tolerate a lot worse than that.

I can’t believe that's going on at a public school.

Awkward recruiting trip for, among others, the Josh Rosens and Randy Grossmans* of the football world.

* iirc

Same here with the Sugar Grove Fightin Amish.
Coach says i'd play both ways, but i just like having a phone.

Reactions: PSU_522
No one is forcing these kids to be baptized. They are grown ass men and could play at any program. Maybe some of these kids have faith of their own and want to be around others with that faith. I am no fan of clemson but zero wrong with grown men experiencing and sharing faith.
Maybe some folks should look at their success and realize there is something to this whole religion thing.

Yeah that's the one thing that I knew about that really rubs me the wrong way about him.

No one is forcing these kids to be baptized. They are grown ass men and could play at any program. Maybe some of these kids have faith of their own and want to be around others with that faith. I am no fan of clemson but zero wrong with grown men experiencing and sharing faith.
Maybe some folks should look at their success and realize there is something to this whole religion thing.

Yeah this stuff doesn't belong in a locker room.

Reactions: blmr31

Uhh, its fricken weird to do this. Further, if you are a christian, don't you find it gross to be using faith as a tool to sell? People aren't saying they have a problem with religion, they have a problem with using religion as a tool to sell football. It is pretty pathetic. I find it as disrespectful.

That last line, is straight up looney. sheesh.

Uhh, its fricken weird to do this. Further, if you are a christian, don't you find it gross to be using faith as a tool to sell? People aren't saying they have a problem with religion, they have a problem with using religion as a tool to sell football. It is pretty pathetic. I find it as disrespectful.

That last line, is straight up looney. sheesh.

So I guess it was wrong when Joe told Mrs. Cefalo that her son would go to mass every Sunday??

I’m not really a Dabo fan and this isn’t anything that would make me go want to play for him. But if the kids buy in... then not sure it’s a huge deal

Reactions: psu2016 and bmw199
So I guess it was wrong when Joe told Mrs. Cefalo that her son would go to mass every Sunday??
I’m not really a Dabo fan and this isn’t anything that would make me go want to play for him. But if the kids buy in... then not sure it’s a huge deal

If Joe brought a tub out on the field so he could baptize players, yeah, I would have a problem with it.
If Mrs. Cefalo wants his boy in church, and Joe makes a remark that he will go, then whatever, Not sure how you think they are remotely the same.

Big difference between Joe saying that he will keep an eye on Cefalo and remind him to goto church and literally preaching religion as part of football practice. Hope you are smart enough to see the huge difference in the two.

Liberty U. wants to be the new Notre Dame in football, so says their founder. How soon til they do something similar, if they are not already?

If this is a draw for Clemson recruiting (and I don't know if it truly is or not), then where have ND, BC, SMU, TCU, Baylor, BYU, and the many, many church-affiliated schools who play Div. 1 football been? (including the dozens of church-related 1AA level schools all over the country) And if not already on this curve, will they be far behind now that this is widely known?

I suspect someone or some group will make a stink about this at some point, Clemson being a public school and all. But if it is truly voluntary and confined to a specific on-campus organization (such as football, if we can categorize it as such), then to each their own... which may not be how the law would interpret it.

The athletes of the last couple of decades seem to have embraced their religious beliefs more intensely than I recall from the longer past. They are very open about their feelings. So I can see how this appeals to a large number of today's college athletes where in the past it was just not as open. It's a different and ever-evolving world. Sometimes I just don't keep up as quickly as maybe I should.

Reactions: 81b&w
If Joe brought a tub out on the field so he could baptize players, yeah, I would have a problem with it.
If Mrs. Cefalo wants his boy in church, and Joe makes a remark that he will go, then whatever, Not sure how you think they are remotely the same.

He used religion to sell his program.

He used religion to sell his program.
Religion, hookers, cars, jobs or scholarships for family members and cash. Philosophically it’s the age old question do the means justify the end result. Apparently Clemson thinks they do.

Reactions: step.eng69
Religion, hookers, cars, jobs or scholarships for family members and cash. Philosophically it’s the age old question do the means justify the end result. Apparently Clemson thinks they do.

Good point.

Again regarding Dabo. IF he is even implying to players that they should/need to be involved in that activity. That’s a real issue. But if kids are willing participants, so be it.

Again not my cup of tea and it would probably turn me off big time... but different strokes for different folks

Liberty U. wants to be the new Notre Dame in football, so says their founder.

Liberty wants to be perennially overrated, their alumni to be pompous assholes, and have legions of obnoxious WalMart-grade athletic supporters?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski and Bob78
I have no strong opinions about this either way and perhaps have mentioned this before, but there is something off about Dabo. I have felt that way about him for a long time.

He strikes me as a Tressel kind of guy. Reading bible verses with kids in the morning and rigging raffles at his camps to provide impermissible benefits to recruits later in the day.

Reactions: KnightSlayer
I have no strong opinions about this either way and perhaps have mentioned this before, but there is something off about Dabo. I have felt that way about him for a long time.

He strikes me as a Tressel kind of guy. Reading bible verses with kids in the morning and rigging raffles at his camps to provide impermissible benefits to recruits later in the day.

I certainly would not be shocked to find that out

I believe it was after the Michigan State game in 2008, the Beaver Stadium screens went to a camera in the locker room for the official Rose Bowl invite just as Joe and the team were wrapping up The Lord's Prayer. The screens cut off right away once they realized it and came back a minute or so later for the invitation. I recall my friend jokingly asking if we were still a state school.

I believe it was after the Michigan State game in 2008, the Beaver Stadium screens went to a camera in the locker room for the official Rose Bowl invite just as Joe and the team were wrapping up The Lord's Prayer. The screens cut off right away once they realized it and came back a minute or so later for the invitation. I recall my friend jokingly asking if we were still a state school.

We are not a state school;)

Liberty wants to be perennially overrated, their alumni to be pompous assholes, and have legions of obnoxious WalMart-grade athletic supporters?

Even the Notre Dame subway alums had to applaud that effort:

crowd-goes-mild-SpgPahZMXJ4Vq

Dabo, like Ford, has an NCAA investigation coming in his future!

If he were Muslim doing this you could be sure the people defending him in this thread would be outraged

Who are we kidding? If Dabo wore a thobe, with a bisht over it, them good ole boys would exercise their 2nd Amendment rights. And given Dabo's thoughts on religion, a bisht would be appropriate for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT