ADVERTISEMENT

Clarion Open and Other News...

Wow this has turned into quite the discussion wasn't expecting that.Anyone who's reading this that actually knows Josh is laughing because they all know Josh can hit 160 in no time.Back in 2014 before he left for UNI training in the barn in Dakota he was 151.Also some kids can cut weight and Josh is a professional weight cutter always has been he knows how to cut and perform at a high level.

See? You have more in common with HR than you think, my boy
Disprove me, my boy! I'm an honest man and I'll admit where I'm wrong
Missed three home duals in 22 years as a season ticket holder, my boy. You? What's the "my boy" thing?
I'll let others pernt out the irony in your post.

Wow this has turned into quite the discussion wasn't expecting that.Anyone who's reading this that actually knows Josh is laughing because they all know Josh can hit 160 in no time.Back in 2014 before he left for UNI training in the barn in Dakota he was 151.Also some kids can cut weight and Josh is a professional weight cutter always has been he knows how to cut and perform at a high level.
Must be why he said in the article that he never cut weight in high school, and why it was such an adjustment for him in college, eh?

Three examples of you using "my boy" and I ask what that's about. When the others pernt it out, I'd like to know the irony. Is pernt one of the most dangerous words that you own on the internet. Just wondering if the "my boy" thing is confrontational or what.
The irony? You seem to be freely using the very word that you loathe.

Saw him at the Nathan’s hotdog eating deal with Joey Chestnuts and even after wolfing down 37 dogs he wasn’t over 158.3, not even close to 160. But what do I know, I’m a stupid MFer my boy
No, I'm not the one wrong, it's thee person who claims that he gets to 160. His certification shows that he doesn't, so pernt the fingers at that person, not me.

As for you other folks, you can save me "oh, the outrage" posts over a debate. If you can't handle an online debate then that's on you, not the MULTIPLE PARTIES ;) engaging in the debate.

Hint: I'm not debating myself, so show your phony "outrage" toward everyone involved in this minor debate.

Last edited:
Must be why he said in the article that he never cut weight in high school, and why it was such an adjustment for him in college, eh?
Ban go back and read the article again the reporter said he seldom cut weight because he won 4 titles he was insinuating that he could go whatever weight he wanted.Josh never said he didn't cut weight.Ban I have been around him growing up in high school offseason he would go 132 then 2 weeks later cut to 120 for big events. Since you see Josh go up to him and ask him he won't lie.Anyone who knows Josh will tell you he doesn't lie he's the nicest most respectful kid you will ever meet.His parents raised him right.

Last edited:
Ban go back and read the article again the reporter said he seldom cut weight because he won 4 titles he was insinuating that he could go whatever weight he wanted.Josh never said he didn't cut weight.Ban I have been around him growing up in high school offseason he would go 132 then 2 weeks later cut to 120 for big events. Since you see Josh go up to him and ask him he won't lie.Anyone who knows Josh will tell you he doesn't lie he's the nicest most respectful kid you will ever meet.His parents raised him right.
Don't misunderstand, nor put words in my mouth. There is TRULY not a nicer, more genuine guy than Alber. I never questioned that, and let's not convolute that with my original pernt, which, sadly, got lost: I think he's better at 133, as I personally don't find his cut to 133 to be that big of a cut. That is ALL that I was ever saying.

Don't misunderstand, nor put words in my mouth. There is TRULY not a nicer, more genuine guy than Alber. I never questioned that, and let's not convolute that with my original pernt, which, sadly, got lost: I think he's better at 133, as I personally don't find his cut to 133 to be that big of a cut. That is ALL that I was ever saying.
And all I'm trying to say is it's harder then you think just because you see him and think he's in the 150 doesn't mean hes 150.Because I know for a fact he was over 150 in July 2014

I realize I can look this up, but does anyone know how the D9 kids, Zacherl and Delong from Clarion did? I've seen both go against my elder son numerous times and I'm a fan of both.

Zacher made finals 10-4 over Ross of (lock haven)
Delong made finals lost to Bast (Kent state) 15-8

Reactions: billrag
Yes, how about that CLARION OPEN? All in all, it was probably the toughest tourney of the weekend, wasn't it? Or maybe not--but it seemed tougher than the Cowboy open, and Daktronics seems like a glorified MN wrestleoff.

I hate to get involved in this but as an honest man, I can't help myself.

Facts:

2016 - Freshman 133. 15 seed.
W Gary Wayne Harding OK St Dec 10-6
L (2) Cory Clark Iowa MD 8-0
L Mason Beckman MD 14-2
Final Result 27-12 1-2 at Nationals

2017 - Sophomore 133. 12 seed.
W Austin Eicher MSU Fall 2:23
L (5) Micic dec 5-2
W Corey Keener CMU dec 6-2
L Scott Delvecchio RUT dec 4-3
Final Result 25-7 2-2 at Nationals R16

2018 - Junior 141. 9 seed.
L Sa'Derian Perry (EMU) dec 11-5
L Nick Lee (PSU) dec 7-3
Final Result 25-8 0-2 at Nationals

Opinion:
I'm not sure why even bother arguing he should go to 133. He had his best year at 141 in terms of regular season and seed. He had a bad tourney but has never really had a good one. I thought when I looked up those results it was going to be obvious that he was way better at 133 but I don't see that. Just being honest.

I hate to get involved in this
But, yet, you did, and actually chose to waste 5 minutes of our time.

Let me reiterate for you. Had you read all of my comments you'd have noticed that my calling for Alber to go to 133 was twofold.

One, because, as a blue chip recruit, he was a bit lackluster at 133, so they believed, and as was said in the article, that the move to 141 would be the big change that he needed. However, there has been zero improvement at 141; I think that he's too small for the weight.

Second, and apparently what all of you missed in my earlier posts, for the sake of the TEAM, Alber is better at 133. As it sits now, we need some "improvement" at 133, and with Alber at 141, that means that Jake Koethe, who would be just as good as Alber at 141, rides the pines. With Alber at 133 and Koethe at 141 UNI has a stronger team. Novel idear, eh?!

Hey, I have a REALLY easy fix for that next time! Don't PERSONALLY CHOOSE to spend 5 minutes reading something that you find offensive or object to.

Novel idear, eh? :cool:

I'm an optimist I was hoping you would quit being argumentative and obstinate and I might actually read something of value in the thread. Clearly my optimism has clouded my judgment.

I'm an optimist I was hoping you would quit being argumentative and obstinate and I might actually read something of value in the thread. Clearly my optimism has clouded my judgment.
Nope, just defending myself. I hate arguing, but I sure as heck will always defend myself.

Again, stop reading my posts and then acting offended, if it's that much of a problem for you.

Nope, just defending myself. I hate arguing, but I sure as heck will always defend myself.

Again, stop reading my posts and then acting offended, if it's that much of a problem for you.

Oh, I'm not offended by you. If anything Ban, I'm a bit embarrassed for you. Just admit that your argument about the weight cut wasn't quite right and move along.

Not when it comes to defending myself. That I will ALWAYS do. If you don't like me replying, don't engage me.

Novel idear, eh?!
Ban, I really appreciate that attitude in real life! But on the internet, I feel like it can only lead to at best exhaustion, and at worst a feeling that everyone is always ganging up on you (even when it is demonstrably NOT everyone). You don’t seem like the type to take advice on a forum, but I do believe your blood pressure might improve if you could modify your “defend self at all turns” approach when the venue for remarks is a buncha anonymous wrestling ninnies.

Oh, I'm not offended by you. If anything Ban, I'm a bit embarrassed for you. Just admit that your argument about the weight cut wasn't quite right and move along.
What was wrong? That he hasn't improved at 141, and that he didn't have that big of a cut?

Ban, I really appreciate that attitude in real life! But on the internet, I feel like it can only lead to at best exhaustion, and at worst a feeling that everyone is always ganging up on you (even when it is demonstrably NOT everyone). You don’t seem like the type to take advice on a forum, but I do believe your blood pressure might improve if you could modify your “defend self at all turns” approach when the venue for remarks is a buncha anonymous wrestling ninnies.
Agree. This is getting exhausting, and as with ALL discussions about walk-around weights and cutting - is pointless.

Nobody on here knows the specifics about weights unless they are staring at the scale. Heck, many times the coaches, families, and even the WRESTLERS are inaccurate in statements and/or projections. @Ban Basketball @west2east I've told the story multiple times about a D1 wrestler in my family that I've gone round and round with on what he's going to wrestle this year, what he's going to weigh in after practice, what his walking around weight is, etc. Not arguments, but friendly banter because sometimes his statements are ridiculous. He's a kid - or young man - and often the reality in their mind is the reality they are hoping or wishing for - this is not a purposely deceptive thing. And that's not unique to him in my experience. I deal with a lot of wrestlers and sometimes have access to their weigh-ins and it's fairly common. Statements in an interview, statements from people close to wrestlers, statements from coaches - all need to be taken with a large grain of salt.

And the "eye-test" is just as inaccurate. I do it myself, everyone does, but your odds of being right on the eye test are about the same as a coin coming up heads rather than tails.

Reactions: Ban Basketball
But, yet, you did, and actually chose to waste 5 minutes of our time.

Let me reiterate for you. Had you read all of my comments you'd have noticed that my calling for Alber to go to 133 was twofold.

One, because, as a blue chip recruit, he was a bit lackluster at 133, so they believed, and as was said in the article, that the move to 141 would be the big change that he needed. However, there has been zero improvement at 141; I think that he's too small for the weight.

Second, and apparently what all of you missed in my earlier posts, for the sake of the TEAM, Alber is better at 133. As it sits now, we need some "improvement" at 133, and with Alber at 141, that means that Jake Koethe, who would be just as good as Alber at 141, rides the pines. With Alber at 133 and Koethe at 141 UNI has a stronger team. Novel idear, eh?!

Hilarious that you took that one line out of my post and then harp on me for wasting my time. You said you had 2 points. 1. he's better at 133. 2. he's not cutting that much.

you aren't right about #1. I showed you his record and you ignored it. At least tell us why you think he's better at 133. there is nothing here other than your opinion which isn't back by anything. I thought at first you might be right about him being better at 133 but that's not even clear so why go through all this ranting about his weight cut and now about people responding to you.

Whoever referred to you moving the goal posts was spot on.

Reactions: danoftw
Hilarious that you took that one line out of my post and then harp on me for wasting my time. You said you had 2 points. 1. he's better at 133. 2. he's not cutting that much.

you aren't right about #1. I showed you his record and you ignored it. At least tell us why you think he's better at 133. there is nothing here other than your opinion which isn't back by anything. I thought at first you might be right about him being better at 133 but that's not even clear so why go through all this ranting about his weight cut and now about people responding to you.

Whoever referred to you moving the goal posts was spot on.
Why did you choose to ignore the other half, where I've endlessly said that, for the team, he's better at 133?

How did I ignore the record, when I dovetailed off from it to pernt out to you that he did not improve moving up to 141, which is what the move was to do?

I'm simply saying that if the move to 141 didn't improve things, the team would be better with him at 133, and his cut isn't that big, relatively, why stay at 141?

I appreciate your words, and you are one of the few that I respect on here, so, thanks. However, I am who I am, and I'll always defend myself, and if folks don't like it, then (1) don't engage me (2) put me on ignore or (3) lobby the mods to have me banned. #3 is nothing new to me, so, so be it.

Why did you choose to ignore the other half, where I've endlessly said that, for the team, he's better at 133?

How did I ignore the record, when I dovetailed off from it to pernt out to you that he did not improve moving up to 141, which is what the move was to do?

I'm simply saying that if the move to 141 didn't improve things, the team would be better with him at 133, and his cut isn't that big, relatively, why stay at 141?

I think the other guy should cut to 133. I hear he walks around at 142.

Reactions: Ban Basketball
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT