ADVERTISEMENT

Check out Joel Klats simple fixes for the PSU offense...

EVERY PSU fan needs to see this. MY had to go and I really, really hope we see their offensive philosophy move toward what Klatt was describing. They have good players that 100% are being mis-used.
Thanks for sharing!
Fact or conjecture?

Wow, that was the best description of our flaws in the offense philosophy and yes, MY had to go. We must embrace pro-style (and this is another reason to stay away from JM.). This all also falls on Franklin obviously. We should run out of a pistol predominantly with Singleton and Allen. Hope Franklin listens to Klatt. It’s never too late to learn from your mistakes.

Reactions: bytir and dswartz
Wow, that was the best description of our flaws in the offense philosophy and yes, MY had to go. We must embrace pro-style (and this is another reason to stay away from JM.). This all also falls on Franklin obviously. We should run out of a pistol predominantly with Singleton and Allen. Hope Franklin listens to Klatt. It’s never too late to learn from your mistakes.

One problem with Franklin appears to be that he loves him some brightly colored objects... "Read option"... Gotta have it. "RPO".... gotta have it....

And remember, fullbacks "are only good for one thing."...............

The lack of identity of HIS offense is totally on him. The f-stick doesn't have the balls to commit to an identity.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
EVERY PSU fan needs to see this. MY had to go and I really, really hope we see their offensive philosophy move toward what Klatt was describing. They have good players that 100% are being mis-used.
Thanks for sharing!
Hah. When has Franklin ever allowed a RB to come from 7 yards deep and be running downhill at the LOs?

If it was the first year never to see it, then sure…it’s MY. But ten years, with RB’s as good as Saquon and Journey Brown. Never. Let’s go back to the common denominator.

Reactions: Grass
Pretty obvious and simple changes.
Not really simple at this point in the season to completely change your offense from RPO to the pistol or the I with a fullback, but agree he is right. What would be simple is his point of realizing that you need to rely on the Defense and play field position.

Punt, play defense, play field position, kick field goals and get timely turnovers. Basically play Paterno ball.

Not really simple at this point in the season to completely change your offense from RPO to the pistol or the I with a fullback, but agree he is right. What would be simple is his point of realizing that you need to rely on the Defense and play field position.

Punt, play defense, play field position, kick field goals and get timely turnovers. Basically play Paterno ball.
That is why no one asked to completely change the offense, not Klatt, not me, not anyone the has coached the game....

Hell. Just setting up and using Singleton like they did at the end of the season last year would do wonders rather than having him run up to the line then stop then running laterally would help.

We will see some change starting Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
Klatt is a really insightful football analyst and a great communicator. I know that some folks don't like Gus Johnson's over-the-top style, but Klatt is really solid and probably doesn't get his due because he is paired with Johnson. Klatt is a better CFB analyst than Herbstreit and much better than many NFL analysts like Aikman.

So Klatt figures this all out from watching 2-3 PSU games per year, but our head coach can’t? Franklin is the problem. I don’t care who the OC is it all starts at the top. Half of our board sees what Klatt sees and the other half are just happy to beat up on UMASS.
I think "seeing it" and "fixing it" are two different things. If Joel was that good, he'd be making $8m a year on the sideline.

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

Reactions: Parf
That is why no one asked to completely change the offense, not Klatt, not me, not anyone the has coached the game....

Hell. Just setting up and using Singleton like they did at the end of the season last year would do wonders rather than having him rum up to the line then stop then running laterally would help.

We will see some change starting Saturday.
The use of Singleton from the very first game this season was absurd, and never catered to his talents.

Also, I've been saying all season that our run schemes are way too rudimentary. Just in the last several games, the Steelers have started to use pulling linemen, which has opened up their running game tremendously. I never see this with PSU's running game; it just consists of the o-line blocking straight ahead and the running backs mostly running up the middle into a bunch of humanity.

Reactions: bison13
Remember when people thought zone blocking was the magic fix? Remember when people thought switching from HIT was the magic fix? Remember when going to the shot gun was a magic fix? In reality in the last 29 seasons Penn State has only lost fewer than 2 games once. So it is comical to see all these people complaining about losing two games like it the end of the world.

If "Paterno ball" was such a magical formula why did he have 34 seasons with 2 or more loses? That even happened when they played weak 10 game schedules. If all of the sudden 2 loses is so unacceptable why is Paterno considered a legend with so many season that were failures?

If "Paterno ball" was such a magical formula why did he have 34 seasons with 2 or more loses? That even happened when they played weak 10 game schedules. If all of the sudden 2 loses is so unacceptable why is Paterno considered a legend with so many season that were failures?
It’s not just two losses but how bad the offense is. Everyone expected more with a five star QB, a five star RB, and a lot of other talent.

Reactions: Grass
It’s not just two losses but how bad the offense is. Everyone expected more with a five star QB, a five star RB, and a lot of other talent.
Did you just start following Penn State football? The offense has been terrible often with a ton of talent. They struggled even when not playing top 4 teams. Did you forget Iowa actually taking a safety because Penn state was more likely to block a punt then score a field goal.

Dah... this has been said for far too long and nothing changes. Will it now? History says no. Some how Franklin believes you fit players to a system and not the other way around. He continues to do it. MY is the latest casualty as were the five previous OC's. Hack was a pro style QB and was broken when he left. Allar is a pro style QB and will be broken when he leaves. Levis, too, but he was smart and bolted before he got broken.

I think you missed the point or did not watch Klat’s video. The point he made and what I was affirming was that if you have a strong defense and a ho hum offense, then you need to rely on your defense and play the field position game. Don’t go for it on fourth down and 6 in your own territory, punt. Don’t go for two when you could only be down one score in the first half. I was not necessarily saying that Paterno ball was great, I was saying that considering our offense, it was probably a better option against a team like Michigan.

Last edited:
Are you really going there?

Joe won more big games in several single seasons than Franklin has won in his career. He played much tougher schedules. And is College football’s winningest coach and best bowl coach ever (when they meant something).

Klatt's commentary and analysis stretched far beyond the Michigan game. "Did YOU watch his video?"

Do you recall Klatt mentioning Paterno or any other past PSU coach. I don't. Perhaps I missed something.

I remember earlier in the year Klatt saying that Allar was running in the wrong offense. I think it was the Illinois game… that’s something I just don’t get. Kids a pure drop back pro style QB. Not a RPO, delayed hand off type of QB. Get him in the pocket and let him throw it. Straight hand offs to his great RBs and let them run downhill. He’s thinking way too much. Keep it simple.

I remember earlier in the year Klatt saying that Allar was running in the wrong offense. I think it was the Illinois game… that’s something I just don’t get. Kids a pure drop back pro style QB. Not a RPO, delayed hand off type of QB. Get him in the pocket and let him throw it. Straight hand offs to his great RBs and let them run downhill. He’s thinking way too much. Keep it simple.
This!

...and neither is Singleton a delayed hand off run laterally runner. Such a waste. Allen is a little better at that but both are terrific pound the rock and down hill runners. What a misuse of talent.

I am just going to throw this out there. My neighbor is well connected with tOSU and is what I consider an "insider". (he handles some legal issues. for coaches, but none from tOSU)

The word on the street is that CJF and MY would go over the offensive game plan. MY would give CJF "his" plan and the two would "collaborate" until they signed off on the plan. They'd get into the game and MY would abandon the plan and do his own thing until CJF intervened. There would be conflict and that conflict was obvious to the players. A young QB like Allar felt like he was getting one set of instructions from CJF and a second set from MY.

I didn't think much about it but reading the words CJF is choosing makes me feel this may hold water. CJF keeps using the term "collaborative".

I agree with others that Klatt is right and MY had to go. However, I think that Franklin has always hired OCs who's philosophy is some variation of the same type of offense (RPO, zone read, slow developing). I'm not an X's and O's expert so forgive me if I'm wrong about that but it seems Morehead, Ciarraca and Yurcich all ran similar offenses with various twists. So unless we get rid of Franklin (or somehow change his hard-headed obsession with this type of offense) we will continue to have the same problem.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I agree with others that Klatt is right and MY had to go. However, I think that Franklin has always hired OCs who's philosophy is some variation of the same type of offense (RPO, zone read, slow developing). I'm not an X's and O's expert so forgive me if I'm wrong about that but it seems Morehead, Ciarraca and Yurcich all ran similar offenses with various twists. So unless we get rid of Franklin (or somehow change his hard-headed obsession with this type of offense) we will continue to have the same problem.
True but it feels like every single team in college football is running some kind of zone-read variation. I did note that UM used the I and had the QB under center at certain points. Teams often move the TE in motion over to be, ostensibly, a fullback. We have too. We've run the T in goal line situations.

The bottom line is that CJF didn't feel like Allar was comfortable with MY's offense. I also take note that CJF is using some code terms line "we are more collaborative" (how the new staff is working versus with MY) and "we asked for that" (easy throws early to get Allar in Rythm)

Reminds me of having Hackenberg run the read option because it was the hottest $hit out there at the moment....

BTW, Klatt says the exact same thing... Get them rolling and let them find a seem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT