ADVERTISEMENT

Chase Winovich “Everything that went on with the Sandusky stuff...

And Dorian Johnson got to play in the Pinstripe Bowl as the highlight of his college career because he chose Pitt instead of experiencing winning a Big 10 championship and a trip to the Rose Bowl.

Lol. It's funny to think there was a time when Pitt got higher than 3 star talent.

Recruiting is a weird game and teenagers are forced to make decisions they think are best for them. It's clear that BOB probably leaving (he did) and the Sandusky scandal had a pretty big impact on his decision (he wasn't the only one either and that extended across a lot of sports). These were reasonable concerns to have, more reasonable than many other teenagers making their college decisions make.

People just want to make mountains out of molehills I guess. We're doing fine, and so is he.

Reactions: Anison
Really? Utley?
I’ll give a few special dispensations.

However, one hill I will not retreat from: no man should ever say the word “veggie” when he means vegetables. That deserves a punch in the neck and a hockey puck shot straight into your junk

Nazzar is associated with Michigan State not Michigan, so nothing ironic at all there.

Upon further review, I stand corrected in that he went to UMich for undergrad and MSU for his medical degree. The original bio I saw only listed MSU.

I get your point, but Sandusky was an ex-PSU football coach so the athletic program Chase would have joined is a direct connection while at Michigan he isn't at the school, or in the sport, that Nassar was employed with and involved in. Chase's reasoning might not make a whole lot of sense relative to Sandusky, but there isn't a parallel to UMich football with Nassar stretch as you may try.

If I recall, Winovich was recruiting as a LB, but wasn't necessarily our top priority until several other LBs choose other destinations. That with the fact that his brother wasn't offered meant that he had some bitterness. Fair enough.

Bo knew.

It should come to no great surprise that we lost some quality recruits because of the scandal. The one that I hated to see go was Dorian 5 Star offensive guard switch his commitment to Pitt. That hurt because it was right after the NCAA sanctioned PSU. We also missed out on Peppers. He was just being honest. But time is healing and recruits these days don’t care.
Robert Foster maybe.

1xub9g.jpg

Winovich, who was a recruit from the Class of 2014, also talked a bit about Penn State during his recruiting process.

“I didn’t give [Penn State] too much of my time because I felt, at least, their coach, [Bill] O’Brien, it was at the time, was planning on leaving,” Winovich said. “I kind of felt like he wasn’t going to be there that long. And everything that was going on with the [Jerry] Sandusky stuff, I don’t know. It was just like, for me, like, signing up to be a Penn State football player, it kind of associated myself with that. That’s just something I had to live with. For me, it was a personal decision and I just said, ‘I don’t want to put myself in that scenario.’

“They didn’t offer my brother [Peter, who played at Bowling Green] coming out of high school. We have a picture of my siblings with Joe Pa glasses. But they didn’t offer my brother, so, yeah, it’s kind of personal for me. It’s almost like, ‘the Winovich’s weren’t good enough.’ ”

https://www.landof10.com/michigan/michigan-players-react-winning-moving-polls

I know several kids who were heavily learning towards PSU until the bot went batshit crazy, and then crossed them off the list.

So..... if you were a 2* recruit with offers from Bowling Green and Slippery Rock.... BUT you wore JoePa glasses.... then Penn State should have offered you???

By that logic... every kid in AL who wore a hounds-tooth hat but did not get offered by Bear Bryant got snubbed by Bama

Every kid in OH who wore a sweater vest but did not get offered by The Vest Tressel got snubbed by OSU

Every kid in FL who wore a visor but did not get offered by Spurrier got snubbed by UF

I think this Winovich guy is stretching it and looking for a reason to be motivated.

I'm surprised how much they talk about the rankings, that's like their whole motivation for this game. They are literally playing for their season on Saturday. If they lose they basically have no chance of winning the B1G since that would be their second conference loss. I mean, that would be plenty of motivation for me to want to win if I was on their team.

Just because Penn State's goal is to win the B10 again and play for a national championship, doesn't mean that is every team's goal. For Michigan, 3rd place in the division is the best they can ever hope for, so their season is not lost if they lose this weekend. They can still end up where they belong.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I can't believe the Oscars snubbed me for my extra role in the movie "Silverado", filmed in Arizona. I'm going to be upset about it for the rest of my life. I can relate to Winovich and his plight.

Just because Penn State's goal is to win the B10 again and play for a national championship, doesn't mean that is every team's goal. For Michigan, 3rd place in the division is the best they can ever hope for, so their season is not lost if they lose this weekend. They can still end up where they belong.

A corollary to their motto in the 70s and 80s - let’s get to the Rose Bowl and lose!

Reactions: pandaczar12
So..... if you were a 2* recruit with offers from Bowling Green and Slippery Rock.... BUT you wore JoePa glasses.... then Penn State should have offered you???

By that logic... every kid in AL who wore a hounds-tooth hat but did not get offered by Bear Bryant got snubbed by Bama

Every kid in OH who wore a sweater vest but did not get offered by The Vest Tressel got snubbed by OSU

Every kid in FL who wore a visor but did not get offered by Spurrier got snubbed by UF

I think this Winovich guy is stretching it and looking for a reason to be motivated.
That's what I saw also. Same with Hurst.

These kids are psyched out before they've even arrived in State College. Good.

Reactions: bytir
That's what I saw also. Same with Hurst.

These kids are psyched out before they've even arrived in State College. Good.

I get feeling that some of these kids feel like they need to have a "story" for being psyched to play their home state school. They hear all the OTHER stories about how there are rivalries and hatred... then some reporter shoves a mic in their face and asks them about playing their home state school... at which point they feel like they have to have a reason to have hatred.

I agree. Whatever. If they want to get themselves psyched up even before they arrive in SC, then good.

Also - His particular reasoning contradicted itself. On one hand he says that he & his brothers used to wear JoePa glasses so we suppose they all wanted PSO offers. But then on the other hand he states that the JS scandal stuff turned him off and he wanted no parts of us.... So then wouldn't the whole thing about wanting the offer and wearing JoePa glasses be irrelevant???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT