ADVERTISEMENT

Chase Winovich “Everything that went on with the Sandusky stuff...

uPBRmeASAP

May 29, 2001
I felt like signing up as a Penn State football player associated myself with that.”

Part of his response when asked about if he considered going to Penn State during media session his week.

Can Ryan Bates please crush him?

Reactions: 22mike306
Winovich, who was a recruit from the Class of 2014, also talked a bit about Penn State during his recruiting process.

“I didn’t give [Penn State] too much of my time because I felt, at least, their coach, [Bill] O’Brien, it was at the time, was planning on leaving,” Winovich said. “I kind of felt like he wasn’t going to be there that long. And everything that was going on with the [Jerry] Sandusky stuff, I don’t know. It was just like, for me, like, signing up to be a Penn State football player, it kind of associated myself with that. That’s just something I had to live with. For me, it was a personal decision and I just said, ‘I don’t want to put myself in that scenario.’

“They didn’t offer my brother [Peter, who played at Bowling Green] coming out of high school. We have a picture of my siblings with Joe Pa glasses. But they didn’t offer my brother, so, yeah, it’s kind of personal for me. It’s almost like, ‘the Winovich’s weren’t good enough.’ ”

https://www.landof10.com/michigan/michigan-players-react-winning-moving-polls

Reactions: WeR0206
On a related note, I saw a recent interview with Khaleke Hudson where he said he decommitted from Penn State and opted for Michigan. That is not the way I remember it. If he did commit, it was not made public.

Reactions: artsandletters
Winovich, who was a recruit from the Class of 2014, also talked a bit about Penn State during his recruiting process.

“I didn’t give [Penn State] too much of my time because I felt, at least, their coach, [Bill] O’Brien, it was at the time, was planning on leaving,” Winovich said. “I kind of felt like he wasn’t going to be there that long. And everything that was going on with the [Jerry] Sandusky stuff, I don’t know. It was just like, for me, like, signing up to be a Penn State football player, it kind of associated myself with that. That’s just something I had to live with. For me, it was a personal decision and I just said, ‘I don’t want to put myself in that scenario.’

“They didn’t offer my brother [Peter, who played at Bowling Green] coming out of high school. We have a picture of my siblings with Joe Pa glasses. But they didn’t offer my brother, so, yeah, it’s kind of personal for me. It’s almost like, ‘the Winovich’s weren’t good enough.’ ”

And then he signs up for the clown show at Michigan. If you can’t be about it, talk about it.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Making it personal? Whatever motivates him, I guess.....

Yeah ---- the Peter Winovich statement is kind of strange. He was a 2-star that received offers from Akron, BGSU, and Richmond.

Good for him for getting to play D-1 football ---- that still puts him above at least 98% of young men his age. But he just wasn't good enough for the highest highest levels of D-1 football.

I felt like signing up as a Penn State football player associated myself with that.”

Part of his response when asked about if he considered going to Penn State during media session his week.

While he shouldn't have said anything, he is likely being honest. That's rare in pressers these days I suppose.

LdN

Kind of a stupid reason. Apparently didn't take it personally that Michigan didn't offer his brother either.

It should come to no great surprise that we lost some quality recruits because of the scandal. The one that I hated to see go was Dorian 5 Star offensive guard switch his commitment to Pitt. That hurt because it was right after the NCAA sanctioned PSU. We also missed out on Peppers. He was just being honest. But time is healing and recruits these days don’t care.

giphy.gif

It should come to no great surprise that we lost some quality recruits because of the scandal. The one that I hated to see go was Dorian 5 Star offensive guard switch his commitment to Pitt. That hurt because it was right after the NCAA sanctioned PSU. We also missed out on Peppers. He was just being honest. But time is healing and recruits these days don’t care.

And Dorian Johnson got to play in the Pinstripe Bowl as the highlight of his college career because he chose Pitt instead of experiencing winning a Big 10 championship and a trip to the Rose Bowl.

Ironic that he went to the school that was the birthplace of the Larry Nassar Scandal, the worst scandal in CFB history. Now he will be forever associated with that.

And Dorian Johnson got to play in the Pinstripe Bowl as the highlight of his college career because he chose Pitt instead of experiencing winning a Big 10 championship and a trip to the Rose Bowl.
I agree, but that decommitment really hurt at the time. He went public an ESPN. What hurt the most is that he committed right after Sandusky got sentenced. It was a huge commitment at the time, specially being a 5 start and from the Burgh. Then he decomitts right after the NCAA fiasco. And to make matters worst, he commits to Pittsburgh. That commitment gave the Liar months of, well you know what. The Liar has been very quite lately.

So that begs the question....Did Michigan offer his brother? I mean my god if Bowling Green did then I'm guessing every P5 team in the country must have.
Seems typical of today's mindset. Be "outraged" about something....anything.:rolleyes:

Obviously his brother wasn't good enough for Michigan either, or any other P5 school. Wonder if that is personal too? Sometimes people just don't know when to shut up. I understand a recruit in the 2014 time period not wanting to come to PSU and possibly have to deal with the consequences of 2011, beyond that, stop talking about PSU.

Reactions: kharp1 and JJTopp99
Ironic that he went to the school that was the birthplace of the Larry Nassar Scandal, the worst scandal in CFB history. Now he will be forever associated with that.

Nazzar is associated with Michigan State not Michigan, so nothing ironic at all there.

Good for him if this is his "motivation"...we have an entire football team hat was embarrassed and mocked by Michigan last year...motivation?

Looking forward to Winovich entering Beaver Stadium White Out on Saturday night...

Bring your earplugs big fella...you will have never experienced anything in your life like what you are about to see this weekend...

A real Mensa candidate there.

It's both, he got his start at Michigan, even graduated from there. So he was an ex-Michigan man, and a current MSU employee. Sandusky was an ex-PSU employee, and look how that worked out for us.

Upon further review, I stand corrected in that he went to UMich for undergrad and MSU for his medical degree. The original bio I saw only listed MSU.

I get your point, but Sandusky was an ex-PSU football coach so the athletic program Chase would have joined is a direct connection while at Michigan he isn't at the school, or in the sport, that Nassar was employed with and involved in. Chase's reasoning might not make a whole lot of sense relative to Sandusky, but there isn't a parallel to UMich football with Nassar stretch as you may try.

If I recall, Winovich was recruiting as a LB, but wasn't necessarily our top priority until several other LBs choose other destinations. That with the fact that his brother wasn't offered meant that he had some bitterness. Fair enough.

Noah Spence was another, while not an "official" commit and certainly he had his own issues down the road, he was a five star who could have gone anywhere.

Nothing to see here:

BOB was likely leaving: True
All the Sandusky stuff: True
It’s like the Winovich’s weren’t good enough for PSU: True.

So what? He made the best decision for himself with the info he had at the time. That he speaks honestly shouldn’t be an insult.

Upon further review, I stand corrected in that he went to UMich for undergrad and MSU for his medical degree. The original bio I saw only listed MSU.

I get your point, but Sandusky was an ex-PSU football coach so the athletic program Chase would have joined is a direct connection while at Michigan he isn't at the school, or in the sport, that Nassar was employed with and involved in. Chase's reasoning might not make a whole lot of sense relative to Sandusky, but there isn't a parallel to UMich football with Nassar stretch as you may try.

If I recall, Winovich was recruiting as a LB, but wasn't necessarily our top priority until several other LBs choose other destinations. That with the fact that his brother wasn't offered meant that he had some bitterness. Fair enough.

It's all in the spin. Sandusky never should have been a Penn State issue, but it was spun that way. I choose to spin Larry Nassar the same way, and make it a UM issue. Treating others how they have treated us is a fun way to highlight their hypocrisy.

This is exactly why the stadium is going to be livid Saturday night. UM arrogance, revenge, disrespect -- just a few of the reasons why the crowd is going to be angry and loud.

Michigan seems to have an unusual number of players saying things completely out of character for anyone from Michigan, before a game this week. Very odd.

I agree, but I'll give props to Hurst for saying positive things about PSU (and even Paterno) this week.

I'm surprised how much they talk about the rankings, that's like their whole motivation for this game. They are literally playing for their season on Saturday. If they lose they basically have no chance of winning the B1G since that would be their second conference loss. I mean, that would be plenty of motivation for me to want to win if I was on their team.

Winovich is a clown. You're mad that 13 years ago your brother (who was recruited by NO ONE) didn't get a PSU offer? And bringing up the Sandusky stuff, I mean really? This is a veteran player who I guess has no ability to filter his thoughts and feelings with the media which is rather shocking.
A bunch of kids, seem awfully worried about something this week, and they don't play for PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT