ADVERTISEMENT

Changing a team name seems like a no brainer. Because the fan base regardless of beliefs...........

I do have to wonder why a person the low number of people being offended by the name "redskins" gets so much attention while a larger number of people being offended by scantily clad cheerleaders get zero. There are a lot of people upset by the objectification of women.

ME. TOO. :eek: had its moment. RACE. :eek: OUTRAGE. :eek: is hot now. Once all the RACISTS. :eek: and RACIST. :eek: images are burned down to the ground, we’ll get back to burning men down to the ground.

Actually, the owners change the teams names all the time:

Brooklyn Dodgers = LA Dodgers
Clevenad Browns = Baltimore Ravens
Baltimore Colts = Indianapolis Cols
Philadelphia Warriors = Golden State Warriors

Just a few.

Baltimore Colts = Indianapolis Cols

Just a few.
all of those were associated with relocation. Houston/Tennesse Oilers/Titans as well.

I thought the Washington Bullets had one of the coolest NBA names and uniforms. When they changed to the Washington Wizards I thought to myself, such an awkward name for a DC team.

I thought the Washington Bullets had one of the coolest NBA names and uniforms. When they changed to the Washington Wizards I thought to myself, such an awkward name for a DC team.

Yeah, and that is why a lot of DC fans are really, really scared about what's going to happen with the Redskins name. For better or worse, it has a legacy and tradition. Wizards is what you get when you involve fans and try to please everyone. Of course, winning is a cure-all for most ailments, and sadly the Wizards haven't done that. So, their tradition now is 'we're losers with a bad name.'

Reactions: RU31trap
When will the SNOWFLAKE. :eek: social media mob decide that Nittany is insensitive and decide we must drop it? Since our “leadership” will never fight it, we’ll be the Penn State Lions. Well, only until animal activists decide Lions is insensitive. By then, probably not too far into the future, we’ll just be lucky to be playing football.

:eek:

Nittany is offensive, it was the name of a Native American princess - and here some school calls her a lion, doesn't even consider her a human.

Well, yes but done by owners on a whim and the fans be damned.
Agree...its a business and they can do whatever they want. I mean, rooting for a pro team is like rooting for Walmart to do better than Target; for me at least.

BTW, the Browns were going to take their name and colors. Browns fans hammered the NFL. The City filed a lawsuit against the Browns and the NFL. They finally got until Art Model to say "you know what, I didn't want the damn name anyway!" The NFL awarded CLE a franchise and gave them three years to build a new stadium and outfit the franchise.

Fact is, Model fired Paul Brown; whom the team was named after. After Model fired him they gave him an expansion franchise named the Cicny Bengals. Browns fans got the NFL to put a new franchise in CLE, which was owned by Al Lerner. The irony is that Lerner was a minority owner, with Model and the old Browns, and the agreement to move to Baltimore was actually finalized on Lerner's jet with Lerner, the mayor of Balt and the gov of Maryland on board.

Agree...its a business and they can do whatever they want. I mean, rooting for a pro team is like rooting for Walmart to do better than Target; for me at least.

BTW, the Browns were going to take their name and colors. Browns fans hammered the NFL. The City filed a lawsuit against the Browns and the NFL. They finally got until Art Model to say "you know what, I didn't want the damn name anyway!" The NFL awarded CLE a franchise and gave them three years to build a new stadium and outfit the franchise.

Fact is, Model fired Paul Brown; whom the team was named after. After Model fired him they gave him an expansion franchise named the Cicny Bengals. Browns fans got the NFL to put a new franchise in CLE, which was owned by Al Lerner. The irony is that Lerner was a minority owner, with Model and the old Browns, and the agreement to move to Baltimore was actually finalized on Lerner's jet with Lerner, the mayor of Balt and the gov of Maryland on board.

Rare win/win for two franchises. Browns is synonymous with Cleveland, and in a rare stroke of genius/luck Baltimore used an animal (that wasn't being used by any other major sports franchise) tied to Edgar Allen Poe lore and it's a perfect fit. LA Lakers, Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams, etc. - all kept names despite no association with geography.

Baltimore Colts = Indianapolis Colts

Just a few.

This is a joke right? Because three of the names you list didn’t change when they moved cities.

Rare win/win for two franchises. Browns is synonymous with Cleveland, and in a rare stroke of genius/luck Baltimore used an animal (that wasn't being used by any other major sports franchise) tied to Edgar Allen Poe lore and it's a perfect fit. LA Lakers, Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams, etc. - all kept names despite no association with geography.
with all due respect, horrible for the city of CLE.

The NFL made the expansion draft too easy when they added Jacksonville and Carolina to the point that both made the playoffs, one made it to the league championship game, the second year in existence. Carolina won their first playoff game in their second year and lost to the eventual super bowl winner. Jacksonville played for the AFC championship but lost. So the NFL changed the rules to make it tougher on expansion franchises and over corrected. I was told that the head coach of the browns had no scouts by the expansion draft. In fact, he had a table set up with six phones and was answering calls directly because by the time they picked an owner, who picket a GM, who picked a coach...they had no time to build the rest of the franchise infrastructure.

Meantime, the Ravens have won two super bowls. The GM, until last year, was Ozzie Newsome who is a browns hall of fame player and would be as a GM as well.

Just to add salt: Al Lerner died after a few years from brain cancer. He willed the team to his son. His son owns Aston Villa and is a huge soccer fan and didn't care or invest in the Browns. His son got killed in an ATV accident and the station that was the Browns flagship showed the rescue effort live on TV. Lerner dumped the station paying a huge penalty and immediately sought to sell the franchise. Eventually, Aston Villa was regulated and he sold them at a loss. The browns were picked up by Jimmy Haslam; who owns Pilot Flying J. (his brother was gov of TN and his wife produces a ton of programming on TLC, country music network and more. Anyway, all of the senior execs get arrested bilking trucking companies at Pilot Flying J. He escapes but only after years of being distracted fighting criminal and civil suits.

Browns have been an ongoing shit show but it all started when Model was trying to figure out a way for his family to pay his capital gains taxes when he died and Baltimore/MD were only too happy to build him a stadium and give him enough cash to pay his cap-gains. He eventually sold it to the current owner and the rest is history.

with all due respect, horrible for the city of CLE.

The NFL made the expansion draft too easy when they added Jacksonville and Carolina to the point that both made the playoffs, one made it to the league championship game, the second year in existence. Carolina won their first playoff game in their second year and lost to the eventual super bowl winner. Jacksonville played for the AFC championship but lost. So the NFL changed the rules to make it tougher on expansion franchises and over corrected. I was told that the head coach of the browns had no scouts by the expansion draft. In fact, he had a table set up with six phones and was answering calls directly because by the time they picked an owner, who picket a GM, who picked a coach...they had no time to build the rest of the franchise infrastructure.

Meantime, the Ravens have won two super bowls. The GM, until last year, was Ozzie Newsome who is a browns hall of fame player and would be as a GM as well.

Just to add salt: Al Lerner died after a few years from brain cancer. He willed the team to his son. His son owns Aston Villa and is a huge soccer fan and didn't care or invest in the Browns. His son got killed in an ATV accident and the station that was the Browns flagship showed the rescue effort live on TV. Lerner dumped the station paying a huge penalty and immediately sought to sell the franchise. Eventually, Aston Villa was regulated and he sold them at a loss. The browns were picked up by Jimmy Haslam; who owns Pilot Flying J. (his brother was gov of TN and his wife produces a ton of programming on TLC, country music network and more. Anyway, all of the senior execs get arrested bilking trucking companies at Pilot Flying J. He escapes but only after years of being distracted fighting criminal and civil suits.

Browns have been an ongoing shit show but it all started when Model was trying to figure out a way for his family to pay his capital gains taxes when he died and Baltimore/MD were only too happy to build him a stadium and give him enough cash to pay his cap-gains. He eventually sold it to the current owner and the rest is history.

I just meant from a 'team names' perspective.... :cool:.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT