ADVERTISEMENT

Chance to Lock Haven

When I was coaching at the junior high level, I would not let my kids cut weight. If they asked why, I told them weight wasn't what they should be worried about - they should be focused on becoming the best wrestler they could be (and growing as they were meant to). If they did that, the rest would take care of itself.

I think one of the reasons Penn State has been so good under Cael is that the wrestlers, in general, don't seem to be cutting a lot of weight and are more fresh come tournament time. That also made Rasheed's cut this past season very puzzling, as it went against the grain.
I agree with your comment about Cael. Re. Shakur, pretty sure he was part of the decision. Looking at what we had at 174, he surely said "hey coach, let me give 165 a whirl"...and they did, it just didn't work out. It wasn't for lack of commitment to the weight, by all accounts Shak did everything right.

He is but not sure he is the answer. Around 235-240 now. Not sure if he will be able to wrestle until Jan. If we are getting whom I'm hearing will be a big up grade. Round of 12 to 7-8 AA

Applying the "Tognetti" scale factor, the Pokes are expecting a 285 transfer that projects to a possible national qualifier.

Applying the "Tognetti" scale factor, the Pokes are expecting a 285 transfer that projects to a possible national qualifier.

The word is, R12 or possible 7th or 8th quality...not confirmed yet by Togs, but that is the word...

Using deduction, sort of narrows it down a bit I suppose, but not sure who it might be.

I just like the fact that with the undergarment change to haines, Lock Haven will have moore chance(s) to compete for top ten finishes.

Thank God there isn't a dislike button. :p

I just like the fact that with the undergarment change to haines, Lock Haven will have moore chance(s) to compete for top ten finishes.

Thank God there isn't a dislike button. :p
You must be a real hit with your kids!

I agree with your comment about Cael. Re. Shakur, pretty sure he was part of the decision. Looking at what we had at 174, he surely said "hey coach, let me give 165 a whirl"...and they did, it just didn't work out. It wasn't for lack of commitment to the weight, by all accounts Shak did everything right.

Well, it's not like the guys aren't cutting anything. I think the motto is basically be at the healthiest weight for you to compete at, but if the team needs a guy to step up at a particular weight then see what you can do. Dylan Alton was originally the plan to be at 41 his true freshman year instead of Andrew...obviously that didn't work out. So it's not that cutting is foreign, it's just the minority. Bryan Pearsall is another guy I can think of.

Personally, I would love to see the other state universities get back to their former levels - Clarion, Slippery Rock, East Stroudsburg, Bloomsburg have all gone a long time without anyone winning an individual championship. I fondly recall 1973 when Clarion had three champs.

Edinboro has been successful recently. Good to Lock Haven gearing up a bit.

Personally, I would love to see the other state universities get back to their former levels - Clarion, Slippery Rock, East Stroudsburg, Bloomsburg have all gone a long time without anyone winning an individual championship. I fondly recall 1973 when Clarion had three champs.

Edinboro has been successful recently. Good to Lock Haven gearing up a bit.

I agree, it would be great to see them competing at the top level again, but money talks and checkbooks are scarce these days

Slippery Rock hasn't had a wrestling program in 10 years. It's very unfortunate.

Clarion is coming...had a qualifier in Zacherl last year, and Maines coming off redshirt year at 197.

Clarion is coming...had a qualifier in Zacherl last year, and Maines coming off redshirt year at 197.
And with Gromacki transferring in from Pitt, looks like they'll compete at 125 as well. Couple real good incoming freshmen too. Most are expected to RS.

So their lineup could look like

125- Gulotta/Field
133- White
141- Perry
149- Shoop/Sutton
157- Duggan
165- Marstellar
174- Wood
184- Sponseller/Mackie
197- Mackie/Sponseller
HWT- Haines

Also if you play around with the lineup you have Glorioso, Siegrist and Ross coming in, and Cordes will be back. That's pretty solid

Glorioso is damn good. Could be a possible kind of gradual improvement, maybe not at the level of a Port, but he's going to be a national qualifier in a few years I think.

Glorioso is damn good. Could be a possible kind of gradual improvement, maybe not at the level of a Port, but he's going to be a national qualifier in a few years I think.
Glorioso is not close to the level that Port was coming out of high school. Nothing against the kid, he's solid, but there's at least 50 kids graduating this year in PA alone that are as good a prospect as he is. I'll be wishing him good luck and with some hard work, who knows? But to mention him in the same breath as Port is ridiculous.

Glorioso is not close to the level that Port was coming out of high school. Nothing against the kid, he's solid, but there's at least 50 kids graduating this year in PA alone that are as good a prospect as he is. I'll be wishing him good luck and with some hard work, who knows? But to mention him in the same breath as Port is ridiculous.

We'll see.

Right, yet some folks were confident that Rasheed would be "dominant" at 165 prior to the start of the 2015-16 season. Rasheed had his moments, but ultimately wasn't even the starter at the end of the season. Hopefully it works out better for him at 174 or 184.

Right, yet some folks were confident that Rasheed would be "dominant" at 165 prior to the start of the 2015-16 season. Rasheed had his moments, but ultimately wasn't even the starter at the end of the season. Hopefully it works out better for him at 174 or 184.

He WAS dominant.

For about 3 minutes and 30 seconds, every match.

It was 100% about the weight pull, and nothing else. He will be outstanding at 184, and so will Mouse, and Cael will make the right call, and they will both have been instrumental to the team.

Reactions: amalone
Port was a top 30 national recruit. Are you seriously saying Glorioso is in that realm? Because that fails the sniff test -- unless it's sniffing glue.

I'm saying we'll see, because we'll see...and you are attempting to make an ad hominem attack.

Jefe is right 21, we're among friends here brother. No need to be so gung ho and uptight all the time. It's like you're just so damn defensive about everything. Chill my man...

Reactions: 21Guns
This is what I forgot:

airplane-sniffing-glue-o.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT